2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 769 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 81610Likes

post #23041 of 23112 Old 02-08-2020, 05:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 93
After mounting my C8 I discovered that I was getting brief audio dropouts using the Internal Netflix app via ARC over a cerca 2012 HDMI cable in the wall to a Denon x3300w. I figured it must be the cable.

I ordered a 15ft Monoprice certified premium high speed HDMI cable and decided to test it before trying to snake it through the wall. Sure enough after watching a few minutes I noticed the same brief audio drop outs with the new cable. So I switched HDMI ARC digital sound out from auto to PCM and lost dolby digital+. I think stereo sounds just fine as every since Jim Fosgate's development of Dolby PLII, I rarely notice if the audio is discrete or decoded stereo. Shortly after that I remembered that I had ran a optical cable all the years ago, plugged it in and switched the C8 audio out to optical and digital sound out to auto and regained DD+ without the audio dropouts.

I don't recall this sort of issue being described as being resolved with a firmware update in the thread (I've stubbornly kept my C8 on 04.10.15), maybe somebody will correct me on that? I didn't find anything when I searched.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23042 of 23112 Old 02-08-2020, 09:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddRiffic View Post
After mounting my C8 I discovered that I was getting brief audio dropouts using the Internal Netflix app via ARC over a cerca 2012 HDMI cable in the wall to a Denon x3300w. I figured it must be the cable.

I ordered a 15ft Monoprice certified premium high speed HDMI cable and decided to test it before trying to snake it through the wall. Sure enough after watching a few minutes I noticed the same brief audio drop outs with the new cable. So I switched HDMI ARC digital sound out from auto to PCM and lost dolby digital+. I think stereo sounds just fine as every since Jim Fosgate's development of Dolby PLII, I rarely notice if the audio is discrete or decoded stereo. Shortly after that I remembered that I had ran a optical cable all the years ago, plugged it in and switched the C8 audio out to optical and digital sound out to auto and regained DD+ without the audio dropouts.

I don't recall this sort of issue being described as being resolved with a firmware update in the thread (I've stubbornly kept my C8 on 04.10.15), maybe somebody will correct me on that? I didn't find anything when I searched.
I have a Denon 3500 with a Monoprice cable with no issues. I saw a CNET thread about your issue mainly with the C7 and possible solutions are: 1- Try an Amazon Basics Cable. 2- Delete and reinstall the Netflix app. 3- Make sure your HDMI connections don’t have a bend in them. I don’t ever remember having an issue with the previous firmware’s but if all else fails you could update. The latest official firmware is supposed to be solid.
post #23043 of 23112 Old 02-08-2020, 10:19 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3778 Post(s)
Liked: 2698
+1

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #23044 of 23112 Old 02-09-2020, 10:43 AM
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 7151 Post(s)
Liked: 7195
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc View Post
It's nice that after years that you guys are finally monitoring these forums. If you're truly LG Support?
I am pretty sure all manufacturers monitor the forums to some degree
post #23045 of 23112 Old 02-09-2020, 11:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwiss View Post
I have a Denon 3500 with a Monoprice cable with no issues. I saw a CNET thread about your issue mainly with the C7 and possible solutions are: 1- Try an Amazon Basics Cable. 2- Delete and reinstall the Netflix app. 3- Make sure your HDMI connections don’t have a bend in them. I don’t ever remember having an issue with the previous firmware’s but if all else fails you could update. The latest official firmware is supposed to be solid.
Thanks, I gave deleting and reinstalling Netflix a shot to no avail. I think I'll just use my Fire TV4k as my streaming source as I get a unexpected issue when using my harmony hub to control the webOS Netflix app... turns out the signal the hub is blasting out gets picked up by some nearby RGB accent lighting I have sending it into undesired colors.
post #23046 of 23112 Old 02-09-2020, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I gave deleting and reinstalling Netflix a shot to no avail. I think I'll just use my Fire TV4k as my streaming source as I get a unexpected issue when using my harmony hub to control the webOS Netflix app... turns out the signal the hub is blasting out gets picked up by some nearby RGB accent lighting I have sending it into undesired colors.

I know that's frustrating but I find it rather humorous. Kinda like that commercial where someone presses the tv remote and the garage door opens I hope you get it resolved.
Glenee, rdgcss, toddRiffic and 1 others like this.

post #23047 of 23112 Old 02-09-2020, 03:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
I know that's frustrating but I find it rather humorous. Kinda like that commercial where someone presses the tv remote and the garage door opens I hope you get it resolved.
That is funny! I've actually replaced my garage door opener not too long ago for opening on it's own! The guy who put in the new one said the cheap ones the builder puts in are prone to interference from the military planes that go past from the nearby base.

I'm good with using the fire TV, but now my 4 year old knows the lights have party mode!
audiophool likes this.
post #23048 of 23112 Old 02-12-2020, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Do you think Apple app will be available on the C8 without a firmware update or if it will need a new firmware to work? If I read correctly the Apple app on the LG C9 was made available via the LG store and no firmware was updated. However, the C9 had Airplay and Homekit added previously in a firmware update. Any thoughts?
post #23049 of 23112 Old 02-12-2020, 04:05 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:

Just this past week I've started having full audio dropouts on the internal Netflix app on my C8. I've reloaded the app, restarted my Marantz SR7012 and switched HDMI cables to no avail.
I switched to using the internal Netflix app on my Panasonic DP-UB820 and it works perfectly.
I'm going to order new certified HDMI cables from Primecables, the Canadian version of Monoprice to see if that helps the situation.
post #23050 of 23112 Old 02-12-2020, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by electronjunkie View Post
Just this past week I've started having full audio dropouts on the internal Netflix app on my C8. I've reloaded the app, restarted my Marantz SR7012 and switched HDMI cables to no avail.
I switched to using the internal Netflix app on my Panasonic DP-UB820 and it works perfectly.
I'm going to order new certified HDMI cables from Primecables, the Canadian version of Monoprice to see if that helps the situation.
Thanks for sharing. What firmware are you on?

It seemed unintuitive to me that my cables could pass 4k with HDR to the TV but couldn't handle passing a DD+ stream back to the avr. Please report back if your new cable solves the issue for you.
post #23051 of 23112 Old 02-12-2020, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for sharing. What firmware are you on?

It seemed unintuitive to me that my cables could pass 4k with HDR to the TV but couldn't handle passing a DD+ stream back to the avr. Please report back if your new cable solves the issue for you.
My C8 is presently on version 05.10.40

I'm heading out of town for work for a few weeks. So, it will be a little while before I can report back if new cables help but I definitely will report when I can.

Cheers!
toddRiffic likes this.
post #23052 of 23112 Old 02-12-2020, 09:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
About a month ago I noticed a warm band on the right side of the TV (65C8). It’s about 20% of the screen that has a warmer temp (or the other 80% has a cooler temp - not sure what part actually has an issue, all I know is that they are a bit different). It’s tough to notice unless something with a white background is on. Very noticeable watching hockey.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I’ve tried different sources (all have the same issue), ran the pixel refresher, etc. Can’t seem to get rid of it. I’ve loved this TV, but now I can’t stop seeing it.

Just curious if anyone else has had this and what - if anything - was done about it.
post #23053 of 23112 Old 02-13-2020, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayDeePee View Post
Do you think Apple app will be available on the C8 without a firmware update or if it will need a new firmware to work? If I read correctly the Apple app on the LG C9 was made available via the LG store and no firmware was updated. However, the C9 had Airplay and Homekit added previously in a firmware update. Any thoughts?
My guess is that a large part of the function of an app - the codec - exists in firmware as part of WebOS, and for Apple streams is common to both casted operation via Airplay and also GUI operation with the app - i.e. the TV is streaming in both cases. Therefore the 2019 models needed only the app download to enable GUI operation - the bulk was already there. The app method had only been delayed to 2020 due to the Samsung--only deal Apple had struck for last year.

Ideally an app would just make use of existing functions in the library but I've seen reports of an identical visual bug on Samsung and LG TVs which suggests Apple IP has been passed to the TV manufacturers to be embeded into firmware.

Therefore I would expect an firmware update to appear as well as an app for C8

Whether Atmos functionality is already embedded in this IP or there's another round of updates coming to enable the (rumoured) addition of Atmos - not available to non-Apple platforms so far - is another guess.
post #23054 of 23112 Old 02-13-2020, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Hi I'm new to the LG 9 site here.

I'm experiencing a dimming issue that seems to be different than a few of ABL issues related to bright scenes (but I could be wrong).

The tv antenna tuner side of my tv goes much dimmer sometimes. What is causing this? Any fix?

It doesn't appear to be something happening with bright/dark scenes. It just is an overall pronounced dimness that happens and stays that way no matter what I do, turning of the tv etc. But then suddenly after an hour or a day, it is bright again.

The first time it happened was when I manually ran my pixel cleaner. I had to reset the entire tv to get the brightness back.

It stopped happening for a few weeks until tonight where it was darker for a few hours, then it suddenly went away for 20 minutes, and now it is dark again. I haven't changed the content or turned the tv off or on again. I decided to turn the tv off for half an hour, and now it is bright and amazing looking again.

Any quick way to stop the dimming from happening? - even a temporary fix?

Thanks!

Matey's, If ye liek me posts, I pander,
for a thumbs up when ye take a gander! Aaargh! - Sargy

Last edited by Sargon 1; 02-13-2020 at 11:24 PM.
post #23055 of 23112 Old 02-14-2020, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked: 240
Sargon 1, this is the LG C-E8 thread. Here is the 9 thread https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...-talk-422.html

LG OLED77"C8, OPPO UDP-203, Yamaha CX-A5100 AVP, TiVo Bolt VOX
post #23056 of 23112 Old 02-14-2020, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I just wanted to share the review I submitted for Chad B. to his website for my incredible experience yesterday with my calibration. I wanted to thank those of you who have given your experience with him in this thread as like I said in my original post before were the reason I scheduled and waited for him to calibrate my C8. I hope this helps more people in the future!

I had the pleasure of Chad calibrating my LG C8 Oled yesterday. Initially was going for an express job but ultimately went for the ISF and could not be happier! Didn't want to go to bed because I could not believe how much better every input, movie and/or game looked! He was extremely professional and a pleasure to speak to. I can tell he loves what he does and it shows in his work! Highly recommend and I look forward to the next time having him share his expertise and time! Thank you very much!
LCSeminole, Chad B, Glenee and 3 others like this.
post #23057 of 23112 Old 02-14-2020, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Really happy with the c8 5.40 firmware.

After the horror after 4.15 , the firmware is really good and the motion got alot better. What still not good is the near black details and black crush but I can live with it

Gesendet von meinem GM1913 mit Tapatalk
post #23058 of 23112 Old 02-14-2020, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Has anyone experienced their set randomly for 10 seconds at a time putting up a black screen and then sporadicly flashing green. This is happening frequently on my hdmi 2 input w my PS4.
post #23059 of 23112 Old 02-14-2020, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez23 View Post
Has anyone experienced their set randomly for 10 seconds at a time putting up a black screen and then sporadicly flashing green. This is happening frequently on my hdmi 2 input w my PS4.

Have you connected another device to the HDMI 2 input to see if you get the same problem?

post #23060 of 23112 Old 02-15-2020, 12:57 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Is it safe to assume that the YouTube app lipsync issue will never be fixed?
post #23061 of 23112 Old 02-15-2020, 05:48 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 58
It's definitely worse on the youtube app and is noticeable on talking heads type videos. i've enabled Trumotion User with sliders left for the TV apps to delay the video a little which makes it more bearable.
post #23062 of 23112 Old 02-15-2020, 07:26 PM

Liked: 0
Hi guys!

I own a 65C8 for 6 months now and im super happy with it. Been reading the forum since then and found it really usefull.

Right now there are two things i couldnt figure out:

1) Cant turn on via wifi, either with google assistant or LG app. This feature got my interest now since ive got google home a week ago. Mobile TV is ON and turn via wifi too. I can turn off the tv but cant turn it on.
2) Does anyone know where to find 2018 Region Codes list? I've found 2017 but this codes only have 4 digits and not 5. Im currently using the 4 digit one for the US (since i am in Argentina) and have no issues with it except 1).

Any info is very much appreciated!
post #23063 of 23112 Old 02-15-2020, 10:35 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodrigo Fanjul View Post
Hi guys!

I own a 65C8 for 6 months now and im super happy with it. Been reading the forum since then and found it really usefull.

Right now there are two things i couldnt figure out:

1) Cant turn on via wifi, either with google assistant or LG app. This feature got my interest now since ive got google home a week ago. Mobile TV is ON and turn via wifi too. I can turn off the tv but cant turn it on.

2) Does anyone know where to find 2018 Region Codes list? I've found 2017 but this codes only have 4 digits and not 5. Im currently using the 4 digit one for the US (since i am in Argentina) and have no issues with it except 1).

Any info is very much appreciated!

Re #1 Is quick start enabled?
post #23064 of 23112 Old 02-15-2020, 10:46 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV-Moderation View Post
Re Is quick start enabled?
Yes, it is. I tried enabled and disabled, no luck.
post #23065 of 23112 Old 02-16-2020, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 175
While watching a program off of a USB thumb drive last night, I noticed that my 65C8 had an option on the playback screen to enable "360 VR Play". Out of curiosity I enabled it. The result can be well described as "very strange". The picture effect is something like I imagine an LSD trip might be.

Googling around a bit, it appears that this has something to do with an LG virtual reality headset that is on the market.

Is there a VR headset connection somewhere on the C8?
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #23066 of 23112 Old 02-16-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowspawn View Post
While watching a program off of a USB thumb drive last night, I noticed that my 65C8 had an option on the playback screen to enable "360 VR Play". Out of curiosity I enabled it. The result can be well described as "very strange". The picture effect is something like I imagine an LSD trip might be.

Googling around a bit, it appears that this has something to do with an LG virtual reality headset that is on the market.

Is there a VR headset connection somewhere on the C8?

I noticed the 360 view quite some time ago on the two demo vids on the C8. It was very interesting but nothing like LSD
smurraybhm likes this.

post #23067 of 23112 Old 02-16-2020, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello all. I'm looking to replace my Samsung UN55D8000 that's in my bedroom and I was going to give OLED a try. Of course I had been eyeing the new C9 but in seeing all the Youtube vids I could find, I've been thinking that, since my main priority is PQ, I should take a close look at the C8 (65") and save some bills. It seems most here are happy with their purchase but I still need to come here and ask the question: What are your thoughts about getting a C8 over a C9 knowing that PQ is my number one priority. In case it matter, the bedroom is dark 98% of the time and when it isn't, I'm not watching TV.

Thanks!
bos617 likes this.

John G.
post #23068 of 23112 Old 02-16-2020, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustypixel View Post
Hello all. I'm looking to replace my Samsung UN55D8000 that's in my bedroom and I was going to give OLED a try. Of course I had been eyeing the new C9 but in seeing all the Youtube vids I could find, I've been thinking that, since my main priority is PQ, I should take a close look at the C8 (65") and save some bills. It seems most here are happy with their purchase but I still need to come here and ask the question: What are your thoughts about getting a C8 over a C9 knowing that PQ is my number one priority. In case it matter, the bedroom is dark 98% of the time and when it isn't, I'm not watching TV.

Thanks!

I'm very happy with my 65C8 that I've had for over a year. There's really nothing offered in the C9 that would make me want to upgrade at this point in time.
rustypixel likes this.

post #23069 of 23112 Old 02-16-2020, 11:01 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:

Thanks!

HDMI 2.1 EARC and VRR are considerations to consider on the C/E9 series. An EARC soundbar, using internal apps, gaming... maybe that’s worth the $. If you’re not using these features? I have no regrets on my E8 purchase. My E8 replaced a E6... that’s a bigger jump to me.

I have an AVR, rarely use my Xbox other than Blu-ray. I don’t have any justifications to upgrade to a 9 series OLED.
post #23070 of 23112 Old 02-17-2020, 04:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked: 639
Quote:

Thanks!
I own a 77C8 and am very happy with it but would gladly swap it for a 77C9. However I wouldn't pay the extra it would have cost me to buy a C9 at the time I bought my C8 (last July).
Take a look at this comparison video by Vincent Teoh in which he highlights the few, but significant, picture quality improvements of the C9 over the C8. The main one for me being the improvement of near black handling which is cleaner and leads to more shadow detail being visible.
So I would say if PQ is your number one priority then the C9 is the TV to go for but if, like most of us, cost is a big factor then the C8 makes more sense as you will not be giving up too much.

chunon likes this.

LG 77C8 (UK) - Arcam AVR 850 - Arcam FMJ P7 - 7.2.4 Atmos setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , denon x3500 , eye strain , firmware update , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page