2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 97 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 81121Likes

post #2881 of 22227 Old 07-07-2018, 09:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChris View Post
What's the point of faster ethernet port Guys? You putted a disk in the tv and you want to do backups of your home pc's in the tv?
Nothing and i mean nothing exceeds more than 40mbit for streaming so please explain your usage to understand the moaning of the 100mbit port.
You're right, in most cases it doesn't matter - if you read my previous post about the Ethernet port I said as much. It basically never really affects me.

It is just surprising in 2018 that there are devices being made with a 100Mbit Ethernet port. I'm pretty sure the cost savings would be really minimal if nothing at all to have a Gigabit port instead.

But, in some limited circumstances, a Gigabit port would be better for streaming high bitrate content using Plex or something similar. Think like 4K content, perhaps if you're ripping 4K UHD discs, or are creating your own 4K content from a camera. In some limited circumstances, you may even have some 1080p video that comes close to this - but it would be pretty rare.

Bluray discs have a maximum bitrate of 54Mbit/s. So you've got some overhead, but not a lot of room for buffering (think if you have network congestion because someone else on your network started copying a file, you might not have a lot of buffer to cover that - and thus the video stutters).

4K Bluray discs have a maximum bitrate of 128Mbit/s for triple layer discs - so that clearly does exceed the 100Mbit speed.

For most - it doesn't make a big difference at all, but I can see where some folks would really have preferred the Gigabit port and it just seems like a weird decision to me. Clearly the internals can handle close to Gigabit speeds since you can get close to Gigabit speed on 802.11ac.
Paul77nz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2882 of 22227 Old 07-07-2018, 09:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiQiCE View Post
You're right, in most cases it doesn't matter - if you read my previous post about the Ethernet port I said as much. It basically never really affects me.

It is just surprising in 2018 that there are devices being made with a 100Mbit Ethernet port. I'm pretty sure the cost savings would be really minimal if nothing at all to have a Gigabit port instead.

But, in some limited circumstances, a Gigabit port would be better for streaming high bitrate content using Plex or something similar. Think like 4K content, perhaps if you're ripping 4K UHD discs, or are creating your own 4K content from a camera. In some limited circumstances, you may even have some 1080p video that comes close to this - but it would be pretty rare.

Bluray discs have a maximum bitrate of 54Mbit/s. So you've got some overhead, but not a lot of room for buffering (think if you have network congestion because someone else on your network started copying a file, you might not have a lot of buffer to cover that - and thus the video stutters).

4K Bluray discs have a maximum bitrate of 128Mbit/s for triple layer discs - so that clearly does exceed the 100Mbit speed.

For most - it doesn't make a big difference at all, but I can see where some folks would really have preferred the Gigabit port and it just seems like a weird decision to me. Clearly the internals can handle close to Gigabit speeds since you can get close to Gigabit speed on 802.11ac.
@Paul77nz has uhd rips that did hickups because they had high peaks so yes i think now also a gigabit nic must be mandatory.
If i can play the devil advocate for manufacturers they didn't expected the uhd disks to be broken so fast nor they are obligated to have this ability.
post #2883 of 22227 Old 07-07-2018, 10:22 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I am new to this thread, because I am thinking of purchasing a OLED C8. I can't seem to find a lot of information on the bluetooth sound capabilities. I need to be able to send sound to my wireless Plantronics backbeat pro 2 headphones, while my wife listens over the sound from my AVR speakers. I want to make sure both can be active at same time, since many TV's will mute TV speakers and/or AVR speakers as soon as an alternate speaker setup is chosen. This is critical to my decision. My second question involves watching this TV in a very bright room, especially on a sunny day. Will I be disappointed by how bright I can get the TV? And third question is size. I can only fit a 55" in the available space. We will be sitting 10 feet away. I know this is too far back for 4K from the charts I have seen, so do you think this will disappoint? I appreciate any thoughts that can help me make a decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2884 of 22227 Old 07-07-2018, 10:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I’ve only had my C8 for a couple of weeks and am enjoying the pure blacks I have always craved but I am not a real videophile to understand when my blacks are pure or are being crushed. Can anyone give a specific example I can go try out? Thanks
post #2885 of 22227 Old 07-07-2018, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
There is no question if that damaged your TV they would put protections in there to where it could only be ran once a year or whatever.

That's a high price.

OLED's will last a long, long while for most. Until the next update in most cases.
I only mentioned the Best Buy deal because the previous poster has mentioned a similar deal at Sams Club. I’m sure other online vendors may be cheaper.
I know this is a “ no price talk” thread so no more price talk from me.
post #2886 of 22227 Old 07-07-2018, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez23 View Post
I’ve only had my C8 for a couple of weeks and am enjoying the pure blacks I have always craved but I am not a real videophile to understand when my blacks are pure or are being crushed. Can anyone give a specific example I can go try out? Thanks
Try to find a movie that is generally black... then watch it... you see details or you miss some things? Better a movie that You remember from cinema. You can try also to download the AVS patterns and try to fix your brightness with it.
Do you have any way to calibrate your tv?
post #2887 of 22227 Old 07-07-2018, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Reading reviews on this TV.

Seems the only negative is it does not support HDR+ (whatever that is). I tried to search this thread for other comments but the + part seems to be ignored. The other negative is that it does not get as bright as LCDs. With my plazma, I find i have the brightness set fairly low for best picture quality so not sure if this is a big negative.

For those with this TV are these really negatives?

I feel infinite
post #2888 of 22227 Old 07-07-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasboy View Post

Seems the only negative is it does not support HDR+ (whatever that is). I tried to search this thread for other comments but the + part seems to be ignored. The other negative is that it does not get as bright as LCDs. With my plazma, I find i have the brightness set fairly low for best picture quality so not sure if this is a big negative.

HDR+ is currently used only by Amazon, I believe. Just like with ATSC 3.0 there will always be something new in A/V added every year. If you waited for a future proof TV you would never buy one.
As for brightness I have 2 different LG OLEDs running in fairly bright rooms; never had a problem with picture being too dim. Sometimes a very dark movie may require drapes being closed, but not that often. The spectacular picture is still worth it.
makado, Mamasboy and npsacobra like this.
post #2889 of 22227 Old 07-07-2018, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 72
I see Amazon is offering an additional 10% coupon of the price of this TV for Prime members
post #2890 of 22227 Old 07-07-2018, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Is the C8 a clear cut step up from the b7 or would you consider it minor? WOuld i notice it just on 4k streams or on every day tv? Thinking of getting one of those two models...But the c8 is a big jump up in price

Last edited by papashango61; 07-07-2018 at 01:04 PM. Reason: -
post #2891 of 22227 Old 07-07-2018, 02:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 5073 Post(s)
Liked: 7395
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
^^^
I must have missed the post but I agree, if the panel looks good out of the box to your eyes then there is no need to do the clear screen. But if you get a new set and it's got a lot of image retention or has a lot of abnormal banding, I would go ahead and do one clear screen to see if it clears it up before returning the set.
Thankyou, and from reading the last set of posts I'm slightly embarrassed to have accidentally caused such a big argument with my question! But I'm glad it's sorted out.

I have my C8 today and it's great. I do not have any abnormalities that I can see, it's amazing, so I will not force a manual Pixel Refresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by philrey View Post
HDR+ is currently used only by Amazon, I believe. Just like with ATSC 3.0 there will always be something new in A/V added every year. If you waited for a future proof TV you would never buy one.
Both you and the questioner got mixed up, and it's entirely Samsung's fault for their stupid naming.
  • HDR10 is the plain HDR format that we all know and love.
  • Of course, "HDR" is the umbrella term which means ALL formats of High Dynamic Range TV, whatever they are. I can see today for the first time that LG's onscreen prompts say "HDR" where they definitely should be saying "HDR10". So finally I have an explanation for why I've seen poster on here for years posting as if the umbrella term HDR = HDR10 . Of course, in common use, HDR does effectively mean it's going to use the HDR10 format. But not what I'd expect to see as a technical term on a TV's onscreen menus. LG's use of "BT.1886" in the gamma menu partly makes up for it IMHO. That's nice and techy.
  • HDR+ is a Special Viewing Mode on Samsung TVs which does two things: for SDR content, it simulates HDR like LG's "HDR Effect" mode. For HDR content, Samsung's HDR+ mode runs an entirely different algorithm to "enhance" the HDR - a bit like dynamic contrast.
  • HDR10+, is what you were both talking about. It's Samsung's free dynamic metadata enabled HDR10, which is backwards compatible with it and doesn't exist outside of trade shows. We've had a couple of Press releases from Amazon about it, but no-one with a compatible Samsung TV has ever actually seen it in the Amazon app on those TVs.

The Special Viewing Mode HDR+ is completely different to, and nothing at all to do with, the dynamic metadata format HDR10+.

Samsung should be shot for using terms which are so similar for things which are so different.

HTH

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 07-07-2018 at 02:04 PM.
post #2892 of 22227 Old 07-07-2018, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6785 Post(s)
Liked: 6783
Quote:
Originally Posted by papashango61 View Post
Is the C8 a clear cut step up from the b7 or would you consider it minor? WOuld i notice it just on 4k streams or on every day tv? Thinking of getting one of those two models...But the c8 is a big jump up in price
You get the new chip set and the new screen design.......as far as street pricing, yes the new model is worth the added cost.
post #2893 of 22227 Old 07-07-2018, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 209
Quote:

Nope, TV is plenty bright, way brighter than my Panny Plasma I had. And brighter than the 2016 OLED i had.
Cam1977 likes this.

post #2894 of 22227 Old 07-07-2018, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Mammoth View Post
Nope, TV is plenty bright, way brighter than my Panny Plasma I had. And brighter than the 2016 OLED i had.

Yeah, I was really worried about this from all I had read. It’s definitely brighter than my VT60.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2895 of 22227 Old 07-07-2018, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Mammoth View Post

I just upgrade my 65” Panasonic ZT60 to the 65” C8 and this TV is blindingly bright compared to the ZT. I was worried about OLED being dim from reading posts on this forum but that is the furthest thing from an issue after setting it up.
Culpepper likes this.
post #2896 of 22227 Old 07-07-2018, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
HDR10+, is what you were both talking about. It's Samsung's free dynamic metadata enabled HDR10, which is backwards compatible with it and doesn't exist outside of trade shows. We've had a couple of Press releases from Amazon about it, but no-one with a compatible Samsung TV has ever actually seen it in the Amazon app on those TVs.
That's interesting, I had read that Amazon had pretty much fully implemented HDR10+ on a large number of their HDR titles. Of course, I have no way to test this.

My issue with HDR10+ is that it seems to have been created for no other reason than to avoid paying the licensing fee for Dolby Vision. Since there are no TVs (that I'm aware of) that support both, this results in every OLED TV purchaser being forced to choose between the two.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #2897 of 22227 Old 07-07-2018, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanhoeyu View Post
so yes, it "stresses" the panel to the extreme condition, the amperage is higher vs. regular cycling.
That's very helpful info regarding my problem. I did some testing, and if I start a manual Pixel Refresher, it only draws the same amperage as it does when it runs the regular cycling. And only does it for the same amount of time (in my case around 6min 20sec). It then drops to the same low draw as in normal standby when it is doing nothing.

So when running a manual Pixel Refresh on my set, it seems to just trigger the regular short cycle then power down. Then when it's turned back on over an hour later it says the process was interrupted.
post #2898 of 22227 Old 07-07-2018, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by papashango61 View Post
in my opinion, it's absolutely improved in all aspects. for me completely different product, but important to know what your're looking for.

for example, the last year 65W7 when I've compared to Panasonic 65EZ1000 was far inferior in term of many points important for me; the video treatment, near blacks and shadows management, etc. Panasonic has suffered as other sets, only from LG banding, the real minus. some stuttering in extreme sources but I've not seen a lot of it, with the last FW it has been corrected.

I've bought the 65C8 for the Russia2018 world cup, thinking that I'll sell it end of the year, going back to Panasonic 65FZ950 for the BF...with the improved panel without the banding.

At the end I'm surprised with the 65C8...far superior then 2017 LGs...at least as good as the Pana 65EZ1000, at the half of the price of Pana.
Maybe 65C8 needs some more FW improvements to have near black better managed then Panasonic or Sony. WIth the Alfa9 and 3DLUT maybe the dream will come true.

so I'll keep the 65C8 and higly recommend over the 2017 sets...and I'll not wait any more for Panasonic...I'll wait for the 2019 77" LG if the pricing goes down next year with their new 77" series...LG has producing more and more large diagonals in their new factory , so maybe 2019 or 2020 will be the nice years.
post #2899 of 22227 Old 07-07-2018, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul77nz View Post
That's very helpful info regarding my problem. I did some testing, and if I start a manual Pixel Refresher, it only draws the same amperage as it does when it runs the regular cycling. And only does it for the same amount of time (in my case around 6min 20sec). It then drops to the same low draw as in normal standby when it is doing nothing.

So when running a manual Pixel Refresh on my set, it seems to just trigger the regular short cycle then power down. Then when it's turned back on over an hour later it says the process was interrupted.
this is the info that I've heard in the discussion with one tech, never verified, and I'm not sure how you'll check it, we talk about mA in the el. circuits of the panel. not the power supply that you can easily measure.
post #2900 of 22227 Old 07-07-2018, 04:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Check out this article.

I'm wondering if you have the "Dolby Vision Output" setting switched to "On". Maybe this makes the LG think it is getting a Dolby Vision signal when it actually isn't. The article reads as if you need to manually turn this setting on or off depending on whether or not you are watching a Dolby Vision encoded disc.
Dude, you nailed it. That article is exactly what's going on with my setup. Good looking out!
post #2901 of 22227 Old 07-07-2018, 05:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Quoted: 5073 Post(s)
Liked: 7395
Quote:
That's interesting, I had read that Amazon had pretty much fully implemented HDR10+ on a large number of their HDR titles. Of course, I have no way to test this.
You've nailed the problem. No-one, not even the people with the allegedly compatible TVs, has any way whatsoever to test it!

All we have ever seen are two (maybe three) press releases which make that claim. But, the last we heard was at CES 2018 they were having trouble getting it to work properly. Amazon's own help page (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/help/cus...-no-redirect=1) says that "If your television is compatible, and the Prime Video title supports it, an "HDR10+" label appears instead of the normal "HDR" label in the video details.". Not one user has ever seen the HDR10+ label appear in Amazon's app on their Samsung 2017/8 model TV. So even Amazon are not using it yet.

Anyone repeating the claim that Amazon are using it should be challenged "so why are they so shy about actually proving it?". You can't use the TV's Info details to see what kind of signal is being displayed, because it's an App, and that info banner doesn't work in Apps. (Just seen that LG is the same in this respect, no way of getting resolution or Framerate, or any other details up on screen on demand for the Amazon Prime app).

So if you can't tell on the TV, and the App doesn't have the logo, why on Earth would anyone believe a marketing press release claiming something so wild that can't be shown. The launch of a brand new HDR format, with no content, impossible to tell apart from plain HDR10, no logos or branding in sight anywhere. It's for all intents and purposes vapourware.

Imagine if the same thing happened with dolby vision. A press release said, "don't worry, it's all in dolby vision, we promise". But there's no logo in the app, nothing happens on the TV to tell you it's dolby vision, and you can't tell the difference side by side with another TV. How could you ever sell a TV to someone on that basis? Is that how to launch a format? This is why after two years of this charade I've started just flatly denying that it exists on Amazon, as it's the most logical explanation. It's only been seen at private trade shows, like this one (as far as I can tell, this was the last time HDR10+ was seen):
Cam1977 likes this.

HDMI 2.0 4K modes | Dolby & DTS core+outer audio tracks on (UHD) Blu-Rays | Hello to Jason Isaacs

Last edited by mrtickleuk; 07-07-2018 at 05:17 PM.
post #2902 of 22227 Old 07-07-2018, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 4
What happens if you attempt to turn the TV on while it is in auto pixel refresh mode(the 6.5min cycle)?
post #2903 of 22227 Old 07-07-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanhoeyu View Post
this is the info that I've heard in the discussion with one tech, never verified, and I'm not sure how you'll check it, we talk about mA in the el. circuits of the panel. not the power supply that you can easily measure.
Can you elaborate a bit on what info you heard?

When running a full Pixel Refresher would you expect the amp draw on the power supply to be higher than when in standby mode when it is doing nothing?
post #2904 of 22227 Old 07-07-2018, 07:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 70
About ready to pull the trigger on a 65 inch LG OLED, just want to make sure that the Samsung 75 inch QLED TV for about the same price is not the better value. I compared at BB today and both pictures look equally good when not doing side by side and 75 inches of a great picture was hard to ignore. But according to reviews, the picture is very slightly better on the LG. I'd get the 75 inch LG OLED but it is about 2.5 more expensive than the Samsung.

Thoughts? Same price, larger screen, would I be making a big mistake going QLED?

I feel infinite
post #2905 of 22227 Old 07-07-2018, 09:34 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
About ready to pull the trigger on a 65 inch LG OLED, just want to make sure that the Samsung 75 inch QLED TV for about the same price is not the better value. I compared at BB today and both pictures look equally good when not doing side by side and 75 inches of a great picture was hard to ignore. But according to reviews, the picture is very slightly better on the LG. I'd get the 75 inch LG OLED but it is about 2.5 more expensive than the Samsung.

Thoughts? Same price, larger screen, would I be making a big mistake going QLED?

BB always shows HDR canned demos from LG or Samsung as does every manufacturer on their high end TVs. It’s going to come down to viewing angles and what you watch. If you watch 8 hours of news a day OLED would be a bad idea but most people on here don’t watch the news for 8 hours a day. I’m sure there are more things to consider but that’s my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2906 of 22227 Old 07-07-2018, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 3935 Post(s)
Liked: 2944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julez23 View Post
use this video to adjust blacks.
post #2907 of 22227 Old 07-07-2018, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtickleuk View Post
Thankyou, and from reading the last set of posts I'm slightly embarrassed to have accidentally caused such a big argument with my question! But I'm glad it's sorted out.

I have my C8 today and it's great. I do not have any abnormalities that I can see, it's amazing, so I will not force a manual Pixel Refresh

Both you and the questioner got mixed up, and it's entirely Samsung's fault for their stupid naming.
  • HDR10 is the plain HDR format that we all know and love.
  • Of course, "HDR" is the umbrella term which means ALL formats of High Dynamic Range TV, whatever they are. I can see today for the first time that LG's onscreen prompts say "HDR" where they definitely should be saying "HDR10". So finally I have an explanation for why I've seen poster on here for years posting as if the umbrella term HDR = HDR10 . Of course, in common use, HDR does effectively mean it's going to use the HDR10 format. But not what I'd expect to see as a technical term on a TV's onscreen menus. LG's use of "BT.1886" in the gamma menu partly makes up for it IMHO. That's nice and techy.
  • HDR+ is a Special Viewing Mode on Samsung TVs which does two things: for SDR content, it simulates HDR like LG's "HDR Effect" mode. For HDR content, Samsung's HDR+ mode runs an entirely different algorithm to "enhance" the HDR - a bit like dynamic contrast.
  • HDR10+, is what you were both talking about. It's Samsung's free dynamic metadata enabled HDR10, which is backwards compatible with it and doesn't exist outside of trade shows. We've had a couple of Press releases from Amazon about it, but no-one with a compatible Samsung TV has ever actually seen it in the Amazon app on those TVs.

The Special Viewing Mode HDR+ is completely different to, and nothing at all to do with, the dynamic metadata format HDR10+.

Samsung should be shot for using terms which are so similar for things which are so different.

HTH
Sorry, my bad. I think we all knew what I was talking about, but we should use proper terminology HRR10+.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #2908 of 22227 Old 07-07-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philrey View Post
Sorry, my bad. I think we all knew what I was talking about, but we should use proper terminology HRR10+.
Sorry again. Late at night I can’t type. HDR10+.
mrtickleuk likes this.
post #2909 of 22227 Old 07-07-2018, 10:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked: 3775
Quote:
Originally Posted by player002 View Post
use this video to adjust blacks.
Never use YouTube to setup a TV..... especially black level.
vince48, Mikef5 and gorman42 like this.
post #2910 of 22227 Old 07-07-2018, 10:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:

Seriously read up on the QFN thread for Samsung. An insane number of sets are being returned. The C8 on the other hand is near perfection.

I just got my C8 2 nights ago but for the first time in my life I have absolutely Zero Buyer’s remorse. The best thing about this besides it being the king of displays? It’s future-proof and as it stands offers more than current content can even provide

Your battle imo lies more with size… what fits your space/viewing mode more? 65 or 75? That’s what I think your decision will come down to

-+ I heard mono with my ears, stereo with my heart, but I heard surround with my soul - Unnamed
-+ My tastes are simple -- I am always satisfied with the best
-+ You ainÂt gotta like me, you just mad 'cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
24p , black deformity , blu-ray , brighter corner , hdmi , hdmi audio missing , lg b8 , lg c8 , lg c8 oled , lg oled , lg oled c8 aspect , lg soundbar , light bleed , oled , soap opera effect , soe , sound bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page