AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   OLED Technology and Flat Panels General (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/)
-   -   2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2962154-2018-lg-c8-e8-owners-thread-no-price-talk.html)

Zissou 03-07-2018 01:12 PM

2018 LG C8-E8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk)
 
Order just placed so guess it's time for a thread.

Kenbar 03-07-2018 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zissou (Post 55813020)
Order just placed so guess it's time for a thread.

Don't the "C" and "B" use different processors? B...LG α7 Intelligent Processor. C...LG α9 Intelligent Processor. Seems just as poor a choice to put these two 2018's together in one thread, as it did in 2016...with the "B" having a different processor and no 3D. Leads to confusion and frustration. The "B" should have it's own thread. The "C" should be grouped in with the other models using α9 Intelligent Processor. Why repeat the same mistake year after year?

rlindo 03-07-2018 03:48 PM

I'm with Kenbar who set up the other two threads though I question the point of already starting that B8 thread when that line doesn't even have a price or release date.

I sure hope it won't be a situation where there are 3 billion different threads on these sets.

Kenbar 03-07-2018 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlindo (Post 55814060)
I'm with Kenbar who set up the other two threads though I question the point of already starting that B8 thread when that line doesn't even have a price or release date.

I sure hope it won't be a situation where there are 3 billion different threads on these sets.

I set them up in the hope of avoiding multi threads and a repeat of confusions.

Zissou 03-08-2018 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenbar (Post 55813843)
Don't the "C" and "B" use different processors? B...LG α7 Intelligent Processor. C...LG α9 Intelligent Processor. Seems just as poor a choice to put these two 2018's together in one thread, as it did in 2016...with the "B" having a different processor and no 3D. Leads to confusion and frustration. The "B" should have it's own thread. The "C" should be grouped in with the other models using α9 Intelligent Processor. Why repeat the same mistake year after year?

Agreed. Changed to C8 and E8 I would think the W folks would want their own. Thoughts?

Kenbar 03-08-2018 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zissou (Post 55816382)
Agreed. Changed to C8 and E8 I would think the W folks would want their own. Thoughts?

I would think so...while it uses the a9 processor...and PQ should be the same as the C8 up, it's a much different unit by design.

Cleveland Plasma 03-08-2018 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zissou (Post 55813020)
Order just placed so guess it's time for a thread.

Yes, the race is on who gets one first;)

Cam1977 03-08-2018 05:11 PM

^^^Lol I was out of the race the minute I sort of mentioned to the wifey I wanted the 77!

rsonnens 03-08-2018 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cam1977 (Post 55821184)
^^^Lol I was out of the race the minute I sort of mentioned to the wifey I wanted the 77!



If you did not buy an extended warrantee on your current set I’m sure it will break just in time for you to get the 77 inch.

Cam1977 03-08-2018 05:21 PM

^^^Lol no way...im happy with mine! My son is taking my e6, gonna need a replacement for that one, of course I have some serious groveling to do😁

sd13 03-08-2018 06:03 PM

Has anyone received these yet? I’m wondering if they fixed the dim hdr game mode and the broken hdr in pc mode.

satboy 03-09-2018 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sd13 (Post 55821454)
Has anyone received these yet? I’m wondering if they fixed the dim hdr game mode and the broken hdr in pc mode.

not shipping yet but soon, so I doubt anyone has one yet.

Kenbar 03-09-2018 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cam1977 (Post 55821234)
^^^Lol no way...im happy with mine! My son is taking my e6, gonna need a replacement for that one, of course I have some serious groveling to do😁

Please stop reminding me of your insanity. But...you really do need a 77", just because :cool:

Cam1977 03-09-2018 12:36 PM

Insanity? Do explain.

Kenbar 03-09-2018 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cam1977 (Post 55825896)
Insanity? Do explain.

Lol...giving up a 3D Oled. I'll not part with mine till it's beyond repair. Would not trade it for even a 2018. But I would in a heartbeat if they had 3D.

Cam1977 03-09-2018 01:39 PM

^^^my son is a bigger fan of 3d than I am, plus it's part of his graduation gift!

Callsign_Vega 03-09-2018 02:46 PM

I think the street date is March 19th, so still ten more days. Hopefully going to pick mine up that day from BestBuy which I put a deposit down. I think someone said they are already in the warehouses in the US, just waiting for the 19th.

zielin 03-09-2018 04:19 PM

Another month to save for the 77" :)

i have hella gift cards and amex points to use on amazon :)

Wizziwig 03-10-2018 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sd13 (Post 55821454)
Has anyone received these yet? I’m wondering if they fixed the dim hdr game mode and the broken hdr in pc mode.

There will never be a complete "fix" as you call it until all displays can display the entire 10,000 nit range that's already being used by many HDR games. You either clip/compress those bright details between 700-10,000 nits or you dim the entire image to keep everything visible.

According to German previews, "Active HDR" style dynamic tone mapping can now be enabled in game mode. This helped boost HDR movie brightness in 2017 sets so I suspect it will have a similar effect on most game scenes in 2018. BFI blur reduction has also been confirmed to work in game mode. Unknown what additional lag either feature introduces.

Callsign_Vega 03-10-2018 03:49 PM

I think some of what he is talking about may be in reference to Windows 10's ahem, "lackluster" HDR functionality. It is still quite a mess unfortunately.

The only way I can even get HDR to work on my PC for games is using madVR and placing the game in borderless windowed mode.

jk82 03-10-2018 04:09 PM

HDR in pc-mode (as in changing the hdmi input to pc) is broken on 2016 and also 2017 TVs I think and this has nothing to do with windows. It's the same when using a ps4 or some other device. It will make the picture look washed out and wrong as if it was using the wrong color gamut or something like that. The advantage of pc-mode would be low input lag with any of the picture presets but its useless since its broken.

guitarguy316 03-10-2018 04:33 PM

Really looking forward to impressions of the new chip and its upscaling capabilities. I have an E6 and that is one of my big disappointments is the upscaling of 720p or 1080i cable (Directv).

Wjboshart 03-10-2018 10:17 PM

I’m curious to how the new 3dlut system will be... every oled generation so far has had issues with broken cms controls, and whereas this is taking calibrated readings to create a new table, is the internal chipset going to actually portray colors correctly? Or even though it gets a meter read patch for the color red and by numbers look correct, will it visually come up as an eyesore...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cleveland Plasma 03-11-2018 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zielin (Post 55827254)
Another month to save for the 77" :)

On the street it looks like the XBR-77A1E will be about the same price as the OLED77C8P........That is interesting.

Al Leong 03-11-2018 11:46 AM

I just was told I could get the first 65" C8 that comes out the warehouse on the north east.. I prepaid for it with the assurance that I am #1 on the list for my retailer..

Ehh.. it will replace the G6 installation... it will be close to the bedroom A1E to A/B performances... Yolo.

sox2115 03-12-2018 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Leong (Post 55835836)
I just was told I could get the first 65" C8 that comes out the warehouse on the north east.. I prepaid for it with the assurance that I am #1 on the list for my retailer..

Ehh.. it will replace the G6 installation... it will be close to the bedroom A1E to A/B performances... Yolo.

Please let us know how it compares to your G7. I picked up a 7 series for the living room this past year, but the bedroom TV could use an upgrade!

gorman42 03-12-2018 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Leong (Post 55835836)
I just was told I could get the first 65" C8 that comes out the warehouse on the north east.. I prepaid for it with the assurance that I am #1 on the list for my retailer..

I should have bet you money when you were saying that you would jump this generation. :D

GoBig19 03-12-2018 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sox2115 (Post 55839542)
Please let us know how it compares to your G7

yes...interested too!

Agent 409 03-12-2018 06:49 AM

I’ve historically been a Samsung owner with no problems. I want to jump into LG OLED. Can anyone comment on reliability for LG OLED? I’m about to pull the trigger for a pre order on the C8 65”


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kenbar 03-12-2018 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Agent 409 (Post 55839736)
I’ve historically been a Samsung owner with no problems. I want to jump into LG OLED. Can anyone comment on reliability for LG OLED? I’m about to pull the trigger for a pre order on the C8 65”


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They only really became common when prices fell on the 2016 models. So not many have high hours on them. Most have less than 5000 hours and I have not seen anyone with 10,000+ hours yet. So not a lot to base a judgement on...regarding historical reliability.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.