Hands-On: LG Signature OLED G7 65" 4K TV with HDR - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 6Likes
  • 2 Post By imagic
  • 1 Post By imagic
  • 1 Post By imagic
  • 1 Post By imagic
  • 1 Post By imagic

post #1 of 17 Old 03-16-2018, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9165 Post(s)
Liked: 16162
Hands-On: LG Signature OLED G7 65" 4K TV with HDR

The 2018 OLEDs are coming, and yet LG has decided that the Signature OLED G7 will remain in the company's TV lineup. So, while I wait to unbox a 2018 OLED sometime soon, I've decided to get some hands-on time with the G7, which is a gorgeous TV in every sense.

This hands-on will be informed by the discussion here in the comments. I have a number of video sources at my disposal including UHD Blu-ray, Apple TV 4K, Xbox One X, PS4 Pro, a gaming PC with a GTX1080 graphics card, and a 4K pattern generator (for colorimetry).

Now, before getting into this hands-on, I'd like to note that going forward my reviews will point to sites like rtings.com and reviewed.com when discussing strictly objective measurements (when available). The reasons for this are twofold: First of all, there's no point in duplicating a properly performed measurement. And secondly, I don't review enough TVs to create a useful database for comparison, those sites do. And regardless, it certainly doesn't mean I won't take my own measurements when appropriate.

My goal in reviewing TVs, going forward, is to correlate subjected measurements, including those of my peers, with subjective impressions of overall picture quality, especially as pertains to specific usage scenarios such as watching HDR movies or 4K HDR gaming.

In 2018, a top-level goal of mine is to incorporate the experiences I've had covering the TV industry into a more organic and open way of examining the flagship offerings of the major players in the North American TV market.

Okay, enough of that. Here's the LG G7 hands-on...

Initial Observations:

- The Signature OLED G7 is undeniably a "statement" TV. You are paying for some (very cool) design elements like "Picture-on-Glass"

- I've had the G7 on-hand for about a month and used it as a giant PC monitor.

- I haven't had a single instance of image retention, much less any risk of burn-in. That's with static elements including white "windows" on a black background. I think that whole subject of OLED burn-in is overblown.

- Today I'm beginning the hands-on with the G7 in the living room, connected to my main system.

- Also today, I used the G7 double check the graphics quality of Shadow of the Colossus in HDR on a PS4 Pro. The result looks stunning.

- Tonight I will watch Star Wars: The Last Jedi in 4K HDR (streaming) on this system with 5.1.4 Atmos sound. Really looking forward to that.

Here's a picture of the G7 and my new living room setup:

BattleAxeVR and tezster like this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 03-16-2018 at 09:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 03-16-2018, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked: 451
Would you share you settings, and firmware update? Like when watching HDR content what is your OLED backlight, motion settings, contrast, etc.

post #3 of 17 Old 03-16-2018, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBR11 View Post
Would you share you settings, and firmware update? Like when watching HDR content what is your OLED backlight, motion settings, contrast, etc.
Yep, I will, I'll be working with this TV over the weekend. I'm only just now getting serious about checking out the features/settings & all that. Gladly...

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 03-16-2018, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
Liked: 386
You say "The result looks stunning." I would be interested in your thoughts about why it's stunning. Is it because the images are very realistic? Do you think anyone would disagree with you about whether it's stunning? I'm not asking about this particular post, really -- but sometime when you're bored with what you're doing, maybe jot down some thoughts about the general issue.

Greg Lee
post #5 of 17 Old 03-16-2018, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
You say "The result looks stunning." I would be interested in your thoughts about why it's stunning. Is it because the images are very realistic? Do you think anyone would disagree with you about whether it's stunning? I'm not asking about this particular post, really -- but sometime when you're bored with what you're doing, maybe jot down some thoughts about the general issue.
Oh I can answer that right now. I had a mental image of how the game would look if rendered "properly" and the OLED pulled it off. Subtle deep shadow detail? Check. Specular highlights that tickle the retina? You bet. Are the colors rich and saturated? You bet.

It is, ultimately, a subjective expression of enthusiasm for how that game (Shadow of the Colossus) looks in HDR on a OLED.

https://www.avsforum.com/review-shado...18-on-ps4-pro/
Blorton likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #6 of 17 Old 03-17-2018, 04:36 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Will be following this one and enjoy hearing your experiences. I've always done Dell Ultrasharp monitors on the pc gaming rig but tv's are getting to the point where they are actually worth considering.

- Born half deaf in the 60's and cranking it to 11 ever since.
Living Room: Audio: Pioneer Elite VSX-26tx in 2.1 with Behringer B215XL and Dayton SUB-1500, Video: Roku Ultra and PS4 to an XBR65X930E
Home Gym: Denon DRA-395 in 2.0 with Klipsch KLF-10
wishlist - new LR AVR and Rythmik sub
post #7 of 17 Old 03-19-2018, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1429 Post(s)
Liked: 824
Given that a G8 model is on the way, I don't understand the claim that the G7 is staying in the lineup. It would seem it is being replaced, although maybe slightly later than the C8/B8.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #8 of 17 Old 03-19-2018, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
Given that a G8 model is on the way, I don't understand the claim that the G7 is staying in the lineup. It would seem it is being replaced, although maybe slightly later than the C8/B8.
Well, it's staying in the lineup a little longer than the other models? Anyhow, I have one and it makes a good point of reference to get used to it as I wait for the C8 to show up. This is not intended as a formal review anyhow, it's meant to be more of a blog.

Things are about to get busy with the 2018 models, certainly.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #9 of 17 Old 03-19-2018, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1114 Post(s)
Liked: 636
As long as your reviewing old tv's, could you review a 2016 "c" 3D model? Give us your take on the quality of the 3D and any tips on adjustments to improve it further?

post #10 of 17 Old 03-19-2018, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
As long as your reviewing old tv's, could you review a 2016 "c" 3D model? Give us your take on the quality of the 3D and any tips on adjustments to improve it further?

Given the lack of 3D TVs on the market, I suspect that if LG had continued selling that model, it would still have some buyers today.
Kenbar likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #11 of 17 Old 03-19-2018, 01:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
According to a (very legit looking) graphic posted in another 2018 LG thread, G7 is carrying over in the lineup in the US. Maybe the G8 is Eurasia exclusive?

Here's the link from the other thread: http://d31hzlhk6di2h5.cloudfront.net...duct_Guide.pdf

Setup:
Spoiler!
post #12 of 17 Old 03-19-2018, 03:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1429 Post(s)
Liked: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
Well, it's staying in the lineup a little longer than the other models? Anyhow, I have one and it makes a good point of reference to get used to it as I wait for the C8 to show up. This is not intended as a formal review anyhow, it's meant to be more of a blog.

Things are about to get busy with the 2018 models, certainly.
Well certainly pages like http://www.lgnewsroom.com/2018/03/lg...018-tv-lineup/ claim there is a 65" G8 coming.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #13 of 17 Old 03-26-2018, 09:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just got my g7 today. So excited about it. I am surprised the build date for it says March 2018. Makes me belief the rumor of lg continuing g7 through this year. Looking forward to more info from you. I am not sure what the right setting is supposed to be. Currently I am using tevhnicolor with oled light turned down to 60.
post #14 of 17 Old 03-27-2018, 05:50 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Quote:
Originally Posted by isrararrafi View Post
I just got my g7 today. So excited about it. I am surprised the build date for it says March 2018. Makes me belief the rumor of lg continuing g7 through this year. Looking forward to more info from you. I am not sure what the right setting is supposed to be. Currently I am using tevhnicolor with oled light turned down to 60.
I've been a bit distracted by the C8 but I'm returning to the G7 by the end of the week. I watched The Greatest Showman on in last night and was blown away by the presentation, it looked beautiful and I was never distracted by a picture quality issue.

Also notable is how extremely cool the Picture on Glass design really is. So futuristic.
isrararrafi likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #15 of 17 Old 03-27-2018, 06:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4298 Post(s)
Liked: 3723
That design started back in 2016 so it's beginning to look a bit old hat now to those of us with E/G6s. Actually, it's still striking 2 years on (if a bit nerve-wracking). I only wish that watching content on it was always equally as satisfying.
post #16 of 17 Old 03-27-2018, 07:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1114 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagic View Post
I've been a bit distracted by the C8 but I'm returning to the G7 by the end of the week. I watched The Greatest Showman on in last night and was blown away by the presentation, it looked beautiful and I was never distracted by a picture quality issue.

Also notable is how extremely cool the Picture on Glass design really is. So futuristic.
Is that movie a real 4K transfer?

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
post #17 of 17 Old 04-04-2018, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

OK the long story short here is that today I'm putting a meter on this G7, taking some measurements, performing a couple tweaks, checking out a few more clips, and packing it to send back to LG.

Self-evidently the C8 is the star of the show at this time, garnering much more interest. To that end, I'll keep my hands-on review of this G7 short and sweet. If you prefer the Cliffs Notes version, with the lights out and high-quality source material I enjoyed TV and movies like never before and therefore am in agreement with the folks that get excited about the ultra deep blacks that this technology achieve. The Technicolor Expert modes made it easy to enjoy a very high quality picture right out of the box and numerous movies looked better than I've ever seen movies look on any TV before.

Anyhow, I'm juggling a few things at once but want to give this TV its due. It was especially handy to have hands-on experience with it, prior to getting into the first impressions of the 2018 C8 OLED. Final, brief hands-on review coming soon.
isrararrafi likes this.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum

Last edited by imagic; 04-04-2018 at 07:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
lg g7 , oled65g7p

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page