AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   OLED Technology and Flat Panels General (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/)
-   -   LG 55" C8 4K HDR OLED TV First Impressions and Review (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2965862-lg-55-c8-4k-hdr-oled-tv-first-impressions-review.html)

imagic 03-23-2018 01:49 PM

LG 55" C8 4K HDR OLED TV First Impressions and Review

Moments ago, I took delivery of a 2018 LG C8PUA 55" OLED TV that features AI ThinQ plus the new A9 processor. It marries a state-of-the-art display technology with cutting edge video processing and artificial intelligence to bring you a next-generation viewing experince.

Here's the plan for this LG C8 OLED: I'm going to spend a few days with it, putting hours on the panle and gaining some first impressions, which I'll share by bloggin about the experience. I also have a 2017 G7 so I'll be able to speak to the difference the A9 processor makes. Then, I will ship the TV to Scott Wilkinson, who will perform the in-depth review.

My hands-on experience will involve performing a basic calibration, taking latency readings, getting a feel for AI ThinQ, and trying out a variety of content that includes gaming (2K, 4K, HDR), TV, movies, and use of the TV as a giant PC monitor.

Right this second, it has been assembled and plugged in. I have to go return the vehicle I used to pick it up. More soon.... I'm very excited to have this TV unboxed and up and running.

Here is a link to the homepage post: https://www.avsforum.com/first-impres...k-hdr-oled-tv/

JeremyBramble 03-23-2018 02:02 PM

Really interested in hearing your impressions on the new HDR game mode? I hear you can enable dynamic HDR, should be considerably brighter? By the way, how many TV's do you have at your house at a given time haha...

imagic 03-23-2018 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyBramble (Post 55908682)
Really interested in hearing your impressions on the new HDR game mode? I hear you can enable dynamic HDR, should be considerably brighter? By the way, how many TV's do you have at your house at a given time haha...

HDR gaming is what I most look forward to and plan to be doing by tonight or tomorrow at latest.

SUperEd007 03-23-2018 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagic (Post 55908716)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyBramble (Post 55908682)

HDR gaming is what I most look forward to and plan to be doing by tonight or tomorrow at latest.

Seems like the competition between the Q9 and C8 first impression starts now ..

DaverJ 03-23-2018 02:20 PM

Also following because of HDR game mode. May I request input lag times when in this mode please? Also interested in using as a PC monitor.

imagic 03-23-2018 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaverJ (Post 55908776)
Also following because of HDR game mode. May I request input lag times when in this mode please? Also interested in using as a PC monitor.

Yep, that's my other usage scenario here. I have a GTX 1080 & use Ableton Live for music and Adobe CC suite for most all else.

I currently cannot scale the lag tester signal to 4K, I can only measure lag with 1080p signals, but that can include HDR.

tdx 03-23-2018 02:27 PM

I dont know if it's easy for you to do but if you could check if the TV bitstreams Atmos and other HD Audio formats over ARC that would be great. It is my number one reason for not getting a TV this year (HDMI 2.1 next will fix this) but if the LG can do it I will bite.

Thanks!

imagic 03-23-2018 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdx (Post 55908820)
I dont know if it's easy for you to do but if you could check if the TV bitstreams Atmos and other HD Audio formats over ARC that would be great. It is my number one reason for not getting a TV this year (HDMI 2.1 next will fix this) but if the LG can do it I will bite.

Thanks!

I can give it a shot, yes.

tdx 03-23-2018 02:41 PM

Thank you very much!

Kenbar 03-23-2018 02:49 PM

I'll add to the growing string of requests info on how well the HIGH setting of logo dimming feature works. How quick it dims & how much. And any side effects it may have...using HIGH protection while using the tv as a computer monitor, for example.

QN52 03-23-2018 02:58 PM

Can you post some pictures of the panel with the 5% black showing?
Thanks.

imagic 03-23-2018 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenbar (Post 55908922)
I'll add to the growing string of requests info on how well the HIGH setting of logo dimming feature works. How quick it dims & how much. And any side effects it may have...using HIGH protection while using the tv as a computer monitor, for example.

I've spent enough time in other OLED threads to know that there is tremendous interest in this feature. I myself have an interest in it because when I play Grand Theft Auto online, and I have to go and do something else and get distracted, the game always puts up the same static image, which will stay there if you don't do anything...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/imageh...57880f3e13.jpg

imagic 03-23-2018 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QN52 (Post 55908980)
Can you post some pictures of the panel with the 5% black showing?
Thanks.

Everyone's favorite topic, right? Seems like folks are obsessed with that one. I'll surely check out a 5% slide, yes. But the photos people share, man... sometimes I gotta wonder how much more harm than good they do. Pictures of TV screens can be easy to misinterpret without some point of reference and a bunch of caveats. See? I'm getting tense already, lol.

dancolt 03-23-2018 03:02 PM

I’m looking forward to more reviews and opinions on the motion of the new 2018 LGs vs the 2017 LGs.

I had a 2017 LG and switched to the A1E due to motion issues. I am really hoping LG improved their motion so I will have more options when I make the move to a 77” OLED. Not to mention that I miss the speed of WebOS, I basically don’t ever use Android on my Sony. :(

Dan

imagic 03-23-2018 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dancolt (Post 55909002)
I’m looking forward to more reviews and opinions on the motion of the new 2018 LGs vs the 2017 LGs.

I had a 2017 LG and switched to the A1E due to motion issues. I am really hoping LG improved their motion so I will have more options when I make the move to a 77” OLED. Not to mention that I miss the speed of WebOS, I basically don’t ever use Android on my Sony. :(

Dan

I was a little bit disappointed that this was not a 65" since the G7 I have is. Having said that, I can compare this 55" 2018 to a 65" 2017 LG OLED using testufo.com and see what I can see.

CanadaJimmy 03-23-2018 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagic (Post 55908982)
I've spent enough time in other OLED threads to know that there is tremendous interest in this feature. I myself have an interest in it because when I play Grand Theft Auto online, and I have to go and do something else and get distracted, the game always puts up the same static image, which will stay there if you don't do anything...

My old LG plasma used orbiting pixels (basically subtly flicking the image) all the time to prevent this, I guess something like that doesn't work on OLED.

I'd be interested to see something like the CRT-Royale filter on RetroArch on your PC on the OLED with some old Super Nintendo / SEGA Genesis games. How close can an OLED come to looking like an old CRT is something that interests me.

jk82 03-23-2018 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagic (Post 55909000)
Everyone's favorite topic, right? Seems like folks are obsessed with that one. I'll surely check out a 5% slide, yes. But the photos people share, man... sometimes I gotta wonder how much more harm than good they do. Pictures of TV screens can be easy to misinterpret without some point of reference and a bunch of caveats. See? I'm getting tense already, lol.

Well it's Oleds biggest flaw, so of course people are curious if there have been improvements.

dancolt 03-23-2018 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagic (Post 55909018)
I was a little bit disappointed that this was not a 65" since the G7 I have is. Having said that, I can compare this 55" 2018 to a 65" 2017 LG OLED using testufo.com and see what I can see.

Cool

Thanks!

Dan

daWill 03-23-2018 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagic (Post 55908982)

This is the single reason I'm hesitant to pick up an oled. I really want one for a portable xbox 1x setup so I can do "couch" coop w/ non split screen games. However, watching the rtings burn-in tests and it's bad, real bad. So now I'm leaning towards an lcd. The LCD would save me money, but oled would look cooler, unless it has a damn hud burnt into it.

Jgr9 03-23-2018 03:28 PM

You didn't need to drop in each OLED individually?

Yappadappadu 03-23-2018 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaverJ (Post 55908776)

That has already been measured by D-Nice in the LG 2018 thread. It's the same as 2017, so 21 ms.
For further questions that might have already been answered check out https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...r-uhd-tvs.html

Nevertheless interested in further impressions comparing HDR game mode brightness of a 2017 LG OLED with a 2018 model. With and without HDR Pro/Active HDR enabled.

TrevEB 03-23-2018 03:34 PM

Waiting with interest.
I'm still enjoying my Kuro but I am getting anxious for some OLED.
The rest of the system is all updated and ready for a 4K screen and Atmos.
Also curious to know how this new panel compares to the C7 . I'm ready to spend the bucks on a C8 but the deals on C7's may be worthwhile.
In either case, a bargain compared to the Kuro price tag.

venus933 03-23-2018 03:50 PM

@imagic Since the alpha 9 is the main difference from the 2017 models I'm most interested in how effective it is at cleaning up noise with bit starved content and breaking out of black and also if there are less artifacts with motion interpolation. Also if BFI is a viable option with SDR content. Thanks much.

And please avoid 5% pics until at least a couple of scheduled compensation cycles.

Reddig 03-23-2018 04:02 PM

Awesome! Im extremely excited to take delivery next week of my 65" E7 OLED I just purchased.

Mattopotamus 03-23-2018 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dancolt (Post 55909002)

Dan

Sony seems to always handle motion better than anyone else, whether OLED or LCD

3Dhereicome 03-23-2018 04:39 PM

There’s no comparison. Over priced Samsung is just over priced.

bootymonger 03-23-2018 05:07 PM

"I put together the TV just now, single-handedly, in about 2 minutes flat."

Bet you used two hands ;-)

ma1746 03-23-2018 05:14 PM

Anyone know when these oleds will be available in the US?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

TitusTroy 03-23-2018 05:20 PM

prediction: the 2018 models will be a bigger deal for gamers...for non-gamers the 8 series will be an incremental step up from 2017...the 2016--> 2017 jump was much bigger...

Jigolo 03-23-2018 05:23 PM

Very interested in the Autocal feature. How well it works and how it compares to human calibration. If it indeed calibrates specifically to the panel it'll be an game changing feature.