AVS Forum banner
78K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  orlccm 
#1 ·
I’ve done a good deal of searching for this topic and not coming across any real descusions of this feature. The feature of Super Resolution seems to be available on most newer LG UHD TVs and Monitors. I’ve used it on a IPS Panel TV and Monitor, and I have used it on an Oled to gather my thoughts here. I’m sure this feature is available from other manufactures as well (maybe by different names) but LG is the only one I can speak for.

From what I’ve seen Super Resolution is a low level form of Anti-Aliasing (which should be familiar with any gamers or motion graphic enthusiasts). The settings direct results can’t be directly paired to a typical form of AA due to the fact that it is simply scanning and “sharpening” the flat image being displayed. Where real AA is more in depth as it has more 3D (actual Graphical Structures, polygons, textures, etc) information to work with.

So that said, my conclusion here is Super Resalution is actually a pretty worth while feature to use with gaming and some video content whether it be Console, PC, Broadcast input. I’ve noticed that having the setting on Low gives gaming images a nice crisp look especially on distant objects and scenery. Same can be said for video, set at low there is a slight bump in focus detail.

Some slightly older games on PS4 Pro, and PC get a nice bit of Anti Aliesing from this feature at no cost to your console or PC GPU rendering pipeline. When set to medium or high I find that it can begin to create artifacts and image over sharpening, so low is my preferred setting.

The issue of Lag is what most people attribute to why this feature should not be used, but with testing it out I can not sense any added lag at all. This is the only post processing I’ve chosen to leave on by the way. The rest do add some lag, and or Image descepensies I dislike.

I am also aware that this is not strictly the proper way to view a perfect reference of media, but the setting on low truly only elaborates on the detail already present in the image and doesn’t attempt to add or subtract from the intended visuals.

So what have others noticed with this feature? Has anyone had a positive or negitive experience with it? I’m purely curious to hear other opinions.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
I leave it on high, with sharpness all the way up at 50. Set it that way after playing and playing with the 3D image on my 2016 "C", trying to squeeze out the last bit of detail. Looks incredible, depending on the disc. Some show perhaps a bit to much grain. But others, just look crystal clear. Think I'm the only one using these extreme settings.

#3 ·
Interesting. I’ve noticed a bit to much “sharpening” by way of static, or noised pixels on everything but the smaller 32” Monitor I’ve tested on Medium or High. Maybe this is to be attributed to pixel density being considerably higher on the smaller panel.

The Grain that can become more prominent is a positive effect for my tastes personally as well. Some older films look down right beautiful with their film grain so pronounced, adding a texture of sorts.

#4 ·
Does not seem to have any negative effect beyond bringing out the grain on some films on my set. I don't like seeing grain myself. But I like the way on some 3D disc's, it looks real, like your not watching a tv. I have noticed certain documentary 3D disc's, like Jerusalem 3D (a mix of 2D and 3D) for example, beat the best 3D movies in terms of a 3D image. I'm not sure to what degree it improves 2D...but they look fine too, other than the grain in some movies. Mostly older movies.

#5 ·
Super Resolution is interesting because it does not add sharpness like I thought but actually removes some artifacts
It works like an anti aliasing. it would be interesting if someone recorded with a very good camera the different results
for what I could see it works better with 3D PS3/Ps4 games instead of 2D. It's also very soft so even at max the super resolution does not make much difference

I guess they add this feature on their budget and higher end tvs to make low res content look less "pixelated", corretct?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.