82"-85"+ LCD Vs. 77" OLED77C8PUA - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 159Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #151 of 157 Old 04-27-2018, 01:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Ewingr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lawrence, KS USA
Posts: 1,456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewingr View Post
Interesting thread.

Just my personal thoughts: I had a theater room, with a 'small' 92" screen. I implemented that back in 2005 when 720p was the high end for theater, and really enjoyed it.

I updated to 1080p Epson projector, don't remember for sure, 5-6 years ago.

Then 3 years ago I moved to Florida to a home that did not support implementation of a projector, or such a wide screen. I was quite worried I would miss the width. I am just under 15' away, maybe 13'.

I ended up purchasing a Samsung 1080p UN67H6350, 75" TV. Picture is good, not near as good as OLED. Blacks poor, but generally speaking not killing me. (Interestingly, sound is almost more important to me, as long as PQ is not horrible. I dropped from 7.1 to 5.1 here, <sigh>...</sign>).

All that being said, I am really interested in OLED. Seems to me it's been quite slow to come down in price. At anyk rate, the OLED over the Sony would be an easy choice for me.

In the past, I paid high $ for the TV stuff (my first 720P projector was a Sim2 and it listed for 15K...I got it for 12K). I'm not into that kind of cost any more.

I may drop from my 75" Samsung to a 65" LG Oled. Even if the 77 gets down to 5K, I'm not interested in spending that much.

I think the 65 OLED will be so much better a picture, I won't miss 10". Interestingly, I did not and do not miss the 17" loss from my projector screen.
Well, I guess Oled is off of my interest list. We watch too much stuff that has the symbols constantly on the screen and I'm sure we'd end up with burnin.
Ewingr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #152 of 157 Old 04-29-2018, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,574
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6679 Post(s)
Liked: 6675
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #153 of 157 Old 05-01-2018, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
audeophyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcleod View Post
I will end up in a Magnolia, but I’ll have to drive across town as my local store doesn’t have it, I’ll expect hot settings. Do you have yours yet? If so are you using the stand? If so can you measure the distance between the ‘elbows’ on the stand (should be the narrowest part). I may have a problem with the stand.
"hot" settings is one word for it lol.

It was backordered when I purchased it but en-route now. I will be wall mounting. Can see what I can do tho if you still need the measurements. Planning on setting up sometime next week.

Main: Sony X900F 85" LED, Denon AVRX7200WA, Klipsh RC64II, RF7II (x2), CDT5650 C II (x8), PSA 15V Sub, RSL Speedwoofer 10S Sub
Home Gym: AVR3312CI, RC62II , RF62 II (x2), Polk RC80i (x2), R112SW Sub, Panasonic 65" Plasma
Zone #2 (Lanai): Denon HEOS Amp, Polk RC80i (x2), LG 43" LED DJ Studio: Event PS8's
audeophyle is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #154 of 157 Old 05-01-2018, 05:35 PM
Senior Member
 
bmcleod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: California Gold Country
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by audeophyle View Post
"hot" settings is one word for it lol.

It was backordered when I purchased it but en-route now. I will be wall mounting. Can see what I can do tho if you still need the measurements. Planning on setting up sometime next week.
I did go across town and saw one, looked great to me, but after measuring the feet I was too disappointed to watch anything besides the demo. Unlike most, I have a minimum foot width for my new Credenza, the Sony is around 44” and I need 48+ (50 to 60 preferably). I’d have to build a bracket to extend the mounting width of the feet, not that hard, but one more project that I don’t need. I may end up with a Samsung 82”, but I’m still looking forward to hearing about yours (I assume in the ‘official’ thread). I have a lot of work to do on the wall and floor before I can install the new cabinet, I won’t buy anything until I have somewhere to put it (none fit in my current space).

HT: Emotiva RMC-1> XPA-7G3/PA-1> B&W 805S, HTM3S, SCMS, HTM4S & SVS SB-4000 (7.2.2) | Sony XBR-85X900F
2C: Emotiva RMC-1> VTL MB-450> Magnepan 20.1R
Sources: Oppo UDP-203, DirecTV HS17/C61K, AppleTV4K, Mac mini, Thorens TD-295 IV w/ Grado Sonata > Emotiva XPS-1
bmcleod is offline  
post #155 of 157 Old 05-03-2018, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
audeophyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcleod View Post
I did go across town and saw one, looked great to me, but after measuring the feet I was too disappointed to watch anything besides the demo. Unlike most, I have a minimum foot width for my new Credenza, the Sony is around 44” and I need 48+ (50 to 60 preferably). I’d have to build a bracket to extend the mounting width of the feet, not that hard, but one more project that I don’t need. I may end up with a Samsung 82”, but I’m still looking forward to hearing about yours (I assume in the ‘official’ thread). I have a lot of work to do on the wall and floor before I can install the new cabinet, I won’t buy anything until I have somewhere to put it (none fit in my current space).
Wow, sounds like an unusual credenza. Could you just install some sort of board that spans the correct width for the TV to rest upon? Paint it to match the credenza. I guess that's why you would need brackets due to the weight of such a solution. Or could you wall mount the TV? Sounds like you are undertaking a big project and it is odd that you can't work this set into the plan at this earlier stage. It's too bad something as trivial as width of feet would be the deterrent.

Yes, it is arriving next week and will have it mounted and being enjoyed right away. I will try to peel myself away long enough to leave an update on the "official" thread lol. I presume that's why we never heard from the OP on that one.

Main: Sony X900F 85" LED, Denon AVRX7200WA, Klipsh RC64II, RF7II (x2), CDT5650 C II (x8), PSA 15V Sub, RSL Speedwoofer 10S Sub
Home Gym: AVR3312CI, RC62II , RF62 II (x2), Polk RC80i (x2), R112SW Sub, Panasonic 65" Plasma
Zone #2 (Lanai): Denon HEOS Amp, Polk RC80i (x2), LG 43" LED DJ Studio: Event PS8's
audeophyle is offline  
post #156 of 157 Old 05-08-2018, 07:55 AM
Senior Member
 
bmcleod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: California Gold Country
Posts: 382
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by audeophyle View Post
Wow, sounds like an unusual credenza. Could you just install some sort of board that spans the correct width for the TV to rest upon? Paint it to match the credenza. I guess that's why you would need brackets due to the weight of such a solution. Or could you wall mount the TV? Sounds like you are undertaking a big project and it is odd that you can't work this set into the plan at this earlier stage. It's too bad something as trivial as width of feet would be the deterrent.

Yes, it is arriving next week and will have it mounted and being enjoyed right away. I will try to peel myself away long enough to leave an update on the "official" thread lol. I presume that's why we never heard from the OP on that one.
Yes, it is a unique design, there’s an open space for the center channel that creates the limitation with the TV feet. When I started the design there were few 80+” sets and the feet were able to straddle the center, I built the Credenza last summer and am working on the base now.

I admit the feet limitation is a design flaw, but I’m not willing to mount on the wall which would move the TV back 2+’ and change the aesthetic, the “bridge” idea would defeat the open center channel requirement. Admittedly I’m more of an audiophile than videophile, and saving $1500 or so also appeals to me as I plan on replacing my subwoofers too. That said I like the 85” 900F very much and could design a bracket that would allow the feet to be mounted wider. I won’t make a final decision until the Credenza is in place and there’s a big open space for a TV. Here’s a thread in a wood working forum if you’re interested in the details (pics near the end) http://www.routerforums.com/show-n-t...-credenza.html

Isn’t there a rule that “Official” threads be started by an actual owner? (there should be)

HT: Emotiva RMC-1> XPA-7G3/PA-1> B&W 805S, HTM3S, SCMS, HTM4S & SVS SB-4000 (7.2.2) | Sony XBR-85X900F
2C: Emotiva RMC-1> VTL MB-450> Magnepan 20.1R
Sources: Oppo UDP-203, DirecTV HS17/C61K, AppleTV4K, Mac mini, Thorens TD-295 IV w/ Grado Sonata > Emotiva XPS-1

Last edited by bmcleod; 05-14-2018 at 02:21 AM.
bmcleod is offline  
post #157 of 157 Old 05-09-2018, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
audeophyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Wow, that's one amazing piece of custom work!!! If you are totally opposed to wall mounting, then yes, a custom bracket is the way to go. Looks like you are already into this deep enough, and you definitely possess the skills to fabricate a custom mount and make it look perfect it would seem.

I get it, after so much work on this project of yours, with the finish line in sight, the last thing you want to do is deepen the scope. Given the money you would save on the 900F and the logic of putting that towards audio makes complete sense to me. As a musician, my money definitely favors audio quality too. My 85" arrives tomorrow so if you need any specific info PM me. Otherwise, good luck on the credenza ...post some pics once it is done and setup with the new 900F custom mounted on top! :-)
bmcleod likes this.

Main: Sony X900F 85" LED, Denon AVRX7200WA, Klipsh RC64II, RF7II (x2), CDT5650 C II (x8), PSA 15V Sub, RSL Speedwoofer 10S Sub
Home Gym: AVR3312CI, RC62II , RF62 II (x2), Polk RC80i (x2), R112SW Sub, Panasonic 65" Plasma
Zone #2 (Lanai): Denon HEOS Amp, Polk RC80i (x2), LG 43" LED DJ Studio: Event PS8's
audeophyle is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off