Sony A1E Dimming Defect - Page 12 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 97Likes

post #331 of 467 Old 07-30-2018, 05:00 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6048
No, you just dont understand what you are talking about, so I normally ignore you.
chunon likes this.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
DP-UB420 / ATV4K (3) / PS Vue
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #332 of 467 Old 07-30-2018, 08:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
No, you just dont understand what you are talking about, so I normally ignore you.
That must be easier than actually responding to the substance of what I posted last time you tried to claim that this has nothing to do with small areas of static content on the screen.

Here, let me help you out by quoting it for you so that we can hear about how I don't understand what I'm talking about by reference to what I actually posted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitsith01 View Post
No, you are fundamentally wrong about the issue.

Many people only have a problem when there is a small amount of static content on the screen, even thought he rest of the image is changing significantly (live sport, gaming). Watch the video of God of War (the first one, not the second one - edit: this one - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fT5EetM7Zeo). There is no way that the image has a 'static APL', yet it dims hyper aggressively.

You say:

That is simply not right. I can demonstrate that on my set because:

1. Watching sport, the image dims after 1 minute of the score remaining static

2. If the score goes away (e.g. to show some stats), even though the rest of the image remains the same, the dimming goes away

3. Once the score comes back, the dimming returns after a minute

4. So long as the score is there, it doesn't matter how much the rest of the image changes, the dimming remains

So, it's not "APL" or "ASBL". It cannot be working on the 'average' of what's on the screen (per your link earlier in the thread to the LG issue), because dimming does occur even though 95%+ of the content is changing rapidly, and dimming does not occur when the 5% which is static does change. Dimming also does not occur even though the image is identical save for the static element being removed.

It's possible that there are multiple problems. But if you read through the thread you'll see many people talking about a small static component of an otherwise rapidly moving screen.

For some reason you are assuming the problem Sony has introduced with the A1 is the same as the problems affecting LG. I'm not sure why you would assume that. Do you have any evidence that the software is related in any way, let alone has the same algorithms for dimming?

But please, post high handed and aggressive comments if it makes you feel better. I understand that forums about TVs have a strong emotional resonance for some people.
post #333 of 467 Old 07-30-2018, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakPoint View Post
Article on Flatpanelshd where Sony promises to fix dimming problem. The good news is that they admit a fix is needed. The bad news is that they claim it is not an issue on the A8F. I have never seen it on my A8F but I see posts from other owners who have.

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...&id=1532684526
This is great news, although I think it's disgraceful that it's taken Sony this long to publicly acknowledge the issue or set a timeline for a real fix. How do they reconcile this with their support telling dozens of posters here and elsewhere that this behaviour is normal and within spec?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #334 of 467 Old 08-01-2018, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
And surprise, surprise, when confronted with specifics you go to water again. I look forward to you reappearing in three weeks to tell us again how this has nothing to do with small areas of static content on the screen.
post #335 of 467 Old 08-03-2018, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Firmware fix coming in late September apparently.
post #336 of 467 Old 08-06-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizz View Post
Apparently. And when Sony people are pressed for specifics they disappear...
post #337 of 467 Old 08-07-2018, 12:43 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spizz View Post
source?
Thats later than i would have hoped.

I hope the Spider-man PS4 game early september does not trigger the dimming often...

Sony KD-55A1 OLED Owner
Playstation 4 Pro
Apple TV 4K
Xbox one S
post #338 of 467 Old 08-08-2018, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1306 Post(s)
Liked: 673
So I played God of War for about 2 and a half hours the other night with HDR turned on and haven't noticed any dimming defects whatsoever. I also played Uncharted 4 with HDR and also noticed 0 dimming. Are the people having the issue sure your are not confusing a change in the lighting in the scene? Does the entire screen dim or just what is in the shadows. I did notice some scenes when the lighting darkened substantially, but fires, candles, and the brightness coming through an open door remained high.

Sony 75xZ9D connected to Panasonic UB820 and Nakamichi Shockwafe 7.1 Pro Atmos
Sony 55x900e
Sony 55xA1E
Sony 75x940e (Returned :-( bad motion blur)
Sony 75x900e, Sony 75x940d, Sony 55x930d, 55x810c, Sony 55x850c (All retired)
post #339 of 467 Old 08-08-2018, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua goard View Post
So I played God of War for about 2 and a half hours the other night with HDR turned on and haven't noticed any dimming defects whatsoever. I also played Uncharted 4 with HDR and also noticed 0 dimming. Are the people having the issue sure your are not confusing a change in the lighting in the scene? Does the entire screen dim or just what is in the shadows. I did notice some scenes when the lighting darkened substantially, but fires, candles, and the brightness coming through an open door remained high.

Yes, we are sure we are not confusing a change in lighting with dimming.

I realise it's a long thread, but it's very clearly the screen as a whole dimming. It also does not affect every A1/A1E for mysterious reasons, even when they have the same firmware.

See this video, which shows the problem very clearly in God of War where the overall lighting is broadly the same throughout:

In my case, I don't seem to get it much during gaming (including non-HDR and HDR gaming) but do get it quite badly when watching sport (HD but non HDR). A number of others have noted it with sport or other TV broadcasts where there is static content on the screen. Again, nothing to do with lighting changing in the image itself.
post #340 of 467 Old 08-08-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emersion View Post
source?
Thats later than i would have hoped.

I hope the Spider-man PS4 game early september does not trigger the dimming often...
Source here:

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...&id=1532684526

Quote:
“We are aware of the issue and our engineering team is investigating the A1 dimming performance in order to improve it via a future firmware update. The AF8 is not affected by the issue,” Sony said in a statement to FlatpanelsHD.

And also some of the comments in the Sony forum thread over here from someone who seems to have official information (see user "dutchice"):

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/andr...451101/page/12

Specifically:

Quote:
I can confirm to you however that even if the pre-installed firmware is one of the latest two with the dimming issue, we are rolling out the next firmware update by latest in the second half of september. The new firmware will have a similar static content detector algorithm prior to the 6.2858 revision. So you can be confident that by then the TV will be in good working order.
post #341 of 467 Old 08-11-2018, 10:47 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 5
French AF8 owner here, I can confirm it's concern too... Problem is that, they don't recognize it, so, what can we do ? They will (hopefully) fix the A1E in late september, but what about A8F users...? What a shame for a brand like Sony and a 3500€ Tv !
post #342 of 467 Old 08-12-2018, 10:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 136
its awful trying to play madden in HDR it dims down almost 50 percent .sony a8f

greatone99
post #343 of 467 Old 08-12-2018, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Scurrah View Post
Now you see where I was coming from regarding the a8f dimming? I truly loved everything about that TV set but the dimming was a dealbreaker.
post #344 of 467 Old 08-12-2018, 05:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 136
it seems to only do it for video games ,on my set .

greatone99
post #345 of 467 Old 08-13-2018, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Scurrah View Post
Here too! And it seems like the TV is switching between HDR and SDR as well. Notice it in the loading screen where the black background turned to dark grey. More noticeable in the cutscenes in Longshot.
And the top bar, which normally appears when you switch sources, pops up while gaming randomly as well.
post #346 of 467 Old 08-13-2018, 05:17 PM

I was able to reproduce this problem with HDR content on Netflix last night and (again) confirm that the issue is a small area of static content.

To do this I started playing HDR content, then pressed the 'info' button so that the Netflix info/stats appeared in the top left corner, including various small parts of unchanging text. This resulted in significant dimming after about 1 minute. This was most noticeable with the subtitles (which are bright white) and lighter parts of the screen going very grey. Then if I pressed the 'info' button again to get rid of the text, the dimming immediately disappeared.

The screen never dimmed at all with the same content but without the Netflix info visible on screen.

So, again, the problem is definitely linked to small amounts of static content and not to the average of the screen or anything like that, at least in my case.
post #347 of 467 Old 08-23-2018, 05:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Firmware levels and Dimming for new purchase

I just purchased a Sony XBR55A1E and I am wondering how the firmware levels relate to DV and dimming.

I currently have PKG6.2852.0080NAA (Dec '17?) which is the version before PKG6.2858.0082NAA (Mar '18). I have turned off automatic software update.

I haven't noticed any dimming but I believe that the Mar '18 version is the firmware version that has the aggressive ABL when I read the previous posts.

I seem to have Dolby Vision working on my apple TV 4k and when I read the documentation that is supported with the version that I have which is important to me. The Mar '18 release doesn't have much features and functions that I think I would care about.

I am thinking that I will never update the firmware. I doubt that I will ever use Android TV and I could just turn off the wifi connection.

Does that make sense ?

PKG6.2858.0082NAA states:

Improves general performance of the TV
Resolves a condition where the TV goes to 8X red LED blinking when starting to play games (HDR content) from the PS4™ Pro gaming console (XBR49X900E, XBR55X900E, XBR65X850E, XBR65X900E, XBR75X850E, XBR75X900E)
Improves performance for Amazon Prime® video playback
Resolves a condition where a short beeping sound is heard when changing channels

where PKG6.2858.0082NAA

Adds support for Dolby Vision™ content DolbyVision
(XBR-55A1E, XBR-65A1E, XBR-77A1E, XBR-55X930E, XBR-65X930E, and XBR-75X940E only)
Note: Some connected devices may also need an update to support Dolby Vision. (More Information)
Adds support for the Amazon® Alexa™ app that runs on Amazon Echo™ devices
Resolves an issue where optical digital sound sometimes stops
Resolves an issue where the TV speakers and the sound from the PS4 controller are out of sync
Resolves an issue where frame drops occur and the AV is out of sync when playing 4K HDR 60fps content
Adds support for the A2DP Bluetooth® profile
Adds support for PIP (Picture-in-Picture) while using an app (watch TV in a small window while using an Android TV™ app)
Adds support for Hybrid Log-Gamma HDR content via HDMI® and USB/Home network
Improves the Settings screen to support changing settings while viewing TV (some exceptions may apply)
Adds support for task-switching (switch between previously used apps and the current app by holding down the HOME button on your remote until the task-switching menu appears)
post #348 of 467 Old 09-04-2018, 01:05 AM

Liked: 1
Registered just to join this discussion.

Gears of War 4 (4k update) looks absolutely mindblowing on an Xbox One X connected to an A1...for the first few minutes, anyhow. Then it becomes frustratingly dim until the brightness resets between rounds.

The theory of static areas on the screen triggering the dimming holds true for GoW4 as well, given the numerous still readouts on the screen.

I sincerely hope the stories of the late September firmware update are true. Sony not addressing this issue would be unacceptable given the TV's price point. For what it is worth, I have had no dimming issues when playing God of War (PS4 Pro), watching UHD BRs (Xbox One X) or streaming 4K content (Netflix).
caitsith01 likes this.
post #349 of 467 Old 09-04-2018, 11:15 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 59
There's a new firmware on EU site, sadly I have no way to test it today.

v6.5629

• Improves picture brightness in a specific set of circumstances
  • Improved compatibility with the Home Theatre Control app
  • Supports UHD HDR for BBC iPlayer Live Streaming
  • Updates the YouTube, Gracenote and Web Browser app logos
  • Removes the Media share functionality from a smartphone (MTP function)
  • Removes the PhotoShare Plus function
  • Removes the Football mode Action Menu shortcut (equivalent Picture and Sound [Sports] mode is still available)
  • Removes the marking functionality on programme guide/Content bar
  • Removes the DLNA Video in the TV menu
  • Removes the 500px application

SONY KD-65A1
SONY UBP-X800
SONY HT-ST5000
post #350 of 467 Old 09-05-2018, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukv View Post
There's a new firmware on EU site, sadly I have no way to test it today.

v6.5629

• Improves picture brightness in a specific set of circumstances
  • Improved compatibility with the Home Theatre Control app
  • Supports UHD HDR for BBC iPlayer Live Streaming
  • Updates the YouTube, Gracenote and Web Browser app logos
  • Removes the Media share functionality from a smartphone (MTP function)
  • Removes the PhotoShare Plus function
  • Removes the Football mode Action Menu shortcut (equivalent Picture and Sound [Sports] mode is still available)
  • Removes the marking functionality on programme guide/Content bar
  • Removes the DLNA Video in the TV menu
  • Removes the 500px application
None of those things sound like fixes for this issue. Maybe "Improves picture brightness in a specific set of circumstances".

Also why the hell are they removing DLNA and MTP playback?
post #351 of 467 Old 09-05-2018, 12:40 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 3
On the danish Sony site its says:

"Løser et problem, hvor lysstyrken falder, hver gang HDR-indhold afspilles."

Which translates to:

"Fixes a problem with brightness decreasing when HDR content are displayed."

Sounds like dimming fix. I do not own a A1/A8F, so i cant confirm if its a true fix :-)
post #352 of 467 Old 09-05-2018, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasen View Post
On the danish Sony site its says:

"Løser et problem, hvor lysstyrken falder, hver gang HDR-indhold afspilles."

Which translates to:

"Fixes a problem with brightness decreasing when HDR content are displayed."

Sounds like dimming fix. I do not own a A1/A8F, so i cant confirm if its a true fix :-)
Interesting update, but not encouraging given that the problem is not limited to HDR.
post #353 of 467 Old 09-05-2018, 02:43 AM

I think that is a quote from the previous update.

Anyway - https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/andr...451101/page/17

It doesn't sound too optimistic.

SONY KD-65A1
SONY UBP-X800
SONY HT-ST5000
post #354 of 467 Old 09-05-2018, 03:32 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Sony purposely did this to make a9f more enticing pretty mesed up they did to a1e when didnt do before update. The a8f does it out of box don't hold breath it ever being fixed.
post #355 of 467 Old 09-06-2018, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 38
So i did some testing with yesterday's firmware with God Of War just now, which was the biggest dimming offender before the update for me.

Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, It did not seem to dim anymore.

Since i already finished it completely, i did not test it for hours, but i did a few combat things in musphelheim and idled in the menus for a couple of minutes at a time.

So far im optimistic about the new firmware, but if others still get dimming, it warrents some deeper investigation with people that have measurement tools or good camera setups, I guess.

Sony KD-55A1 OLED Owner
Playstation 4 Pro
Apple TV 4K
Xbox one S
post #356 of 467 Old 09-06-2018, 05:08 PM

Liked: 1
There doesn't seem to be a new update on the Japan server yet. Will look again after the American football opener. Really want to enjoy this TV to the fullest.
post #357 of 467 Old 09-06-2018, 06:56 PM

Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 100
I only have it on my PS4 Pro and some games are worse than others. Playing the BF5 beta right now is almost impossible with how often it dims especially on the snow map.

Marantz AV7702MKii, 2x Marantz MM7055, Oppo UDP-205
Sony 65 A1E
Bowers and Wilkins CM10 S2, CM Center 2 S2, CM1 S2
SVS Prime Elevation
SVS SB16 Ultra
post #358 of 467 Old 09-06-2018, 09:11 PM

I ran quick test for me yesterday - the behavior did change and it dimmed only once during short play and immediately returned to full brightness.
I have no time in the coming days to test it extensively though.
So at least there was some change.

I had to reset TV to defaults though (because after update nothing worked properly).

SONY KD-65A1
SONY UBP-X800
SONY HT-ST5000
post #359 of 467 Old 09-07-2018, 02:33 AM

If it's any your interest, in Italy:

After firmware upgrade to version 6.5629 (5 September 2018)

Low dimming Issue Persists/Exists ?

USER:
  • sandromxm --► YES
  • Paoletto2009 --► NO - 55 inches September 2017
  • Phadas --► NO - 55 inches March 2018
  • joseph68 --► NO - 65 inches July 2017
  • maverick019 --► IN TESTING - 55 inches May 2017
  • Digit --► NO on Game - 55 inches December 2017
  • Napo78 --► NO on Game - 55 inches Year 2017
  • Gighen --► NO on Game - ?
  • Marcospippoz --► NO on Game - ?
  • Interview10 --► NO on Game - ?
  • robrock --► NO - 65 inches June 2017
so, from these first installations of the new firmware, it would seem that the problem of the drop in brightness has been solved
post #360 of 467 Old 09-07-2018, 04:07 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Just updated, but for me the problem is still there.

Trying out Spider-Man today on the PS4 Pro at 4K HDR and it's very noticeable. I'm on an A1E from early 2018 (can't remember the exact month).

So disappointed (in the firmware update, not the game )

edit: i had to reset the TV to factory settings too, after this update it wouldn't show any of the HDMI inputs properly.

Last edited by DrummerBoss; 09-07-2018 at 04:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page