Originally Posted by sonoi100
Yes, exactly the same conclusion here. It's better but not how it was originally. Can notice it while watching football, dims a bit after a few minutes, the green pitch becomes darker. You just need to change channels to spot how much it has dimmed.
This is my interpretation too.
I've been a vocal critic of Sony over this, and I think it's only fair that I also report that the new firmware for me has slightly improved the dimming issue, but has not eliminated it completely.
In football (Australian in my case) I still get some dimming after a minute or so, but it's less noticeable than it used to be. It's now a slight washing out of the 'punch' of the picture rather than a full blown darkening, and it doesn't seem to kick in as obviously. It's more obvious when it stops and you get full brightness and contrast back.
It's certainly not as nice as the TV was when I bought it, so I am still very unhappy about that. But at least watching sport is tolerable now, and probably no worse than my old plasma.
However, Sony is still a disgrace. To recap, the series of events is:
1. Release the TV with fantastic images for all content.
2. Without warning, release a firmware update which fundamentally breaks the TV for content with static elements.
3. Deny the existence of the issue for months and ignore users who are complaining by telling them this is 'normal', an 'intended function', etc.
4. Refuse to let users roll back firmware to restore the TV to the state it was in when purchased.
5. Fail to publicly acknowledge any issue until pressure builds from many complaints online.
6. Spend months with no real information being released and no new firmware.
7. Release new firmware which seems to marginally improve the problem for a few people.
Fundamentally, Sony has taken a TV costing thousands of dollars, seriously degraded its capabilities after purchase and without user consent
, and then refused to acknowledge the problem, roll it back or fix it properly. It's disgusting behaviour and they are rightly being slammed for it. I hope many, many people have seen these threads and chosen not to buy Sony products as a result.