Sony A1E Dimming Defect - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 97Likes

post #391 of 467 Old 09-14-2018, 07:08 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3837 Post(s)
Liked: 3775
Sony A1E Dimming Defect

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnk21 View Post
How is it a crusade when several prominent outlets have written articles about it? It clearly is an issue for a lot of people, but by all means, continue your blind defense.

I am not defending anything it’s an issue should be fixed . It’s a documented fact that the dimming only occurs in specific source material that’s my only point .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2

Last edited by chunon; 09-14-2018 at 07:15 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 467 Old 09-15-2018, 02:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
No one ever denied it was an issue just that it occurred under specific circumstances . I still have yet to see my set dim but continue your crusade by all means.

Pretty much this. Yet to see mine dim. I have maxed out the brightness (Peak Luminance High, Brightness Max) watching sport (see attached) with static scoreboards to try it and cannot get it to dim. Maybe that scoreboard isn't static enough? My eyeballs were very sore after 380+ nits for 90 minutes.

I have mine on the D-Nice settings, Cinema Pro etc..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180909_161210.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	980.5 KB
ID:	2455466  
chunon likes this.
post #393 of 467 Old 09-15-2018, 11:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1130 Post(s)
Liked: 1075
Quote:
No one ever denied it was an issue just that it occurred under specific circumstances . I still have yet to see my set dim but continue your crusade by all means.

Since you are secure with the tv and have no issues, why feel the need to constantly come to its defense? Your set doesn't dim? That's great. But others have the issue and this isnt a "a8f is perfect with zero flaws" thread. It is a dimming defect thread with multiple people confirming that they are indeed experiencing dimming.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
caitsith01 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #394 of 467 Old 09-15-2018, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
Since you are secure with the tv and have no issues, why feel the need to constantly come to its defense? Your set doesn't dim? That's great. But others have the issue and this isnt a "a8f is perfect with zero flaws" thread. It is a dimming defect thread with multiple people confirming that they are indeed experiencing dimming.

You are the one that is obsessed with a set you don’t even own. Last time I checked I am free to post wherever I want but thanks for your concern . What’s next more bogus peak luminance numbers ?

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #395 of 467 Old 09-15-2018, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes of course I don't own it. I returned it because the major con with the dimming outweighed the pros. I have every right in the world to share my experience along with others that are experiencing the same thing, without having an elitist breathing down my neck every time I post.
Quote:
You are the one that is obsessed with a set you don’t even own. Last time I checked I am free to post wherever I want but thanks for your concern . What’s next more bogus peak luminance numbers ?

post #396 of 467 Old 09-15-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Yes of course I don't own it. I returned it because the major con with the dimming outweighed the pros. I have every right in the world to share my experience along with others that are experiencing the same thing, without having an elitist breathing down my neck every time I post.

Yeah you got me pegged I am such an elitist lmao , bash away .

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #397 of 467 Old 09-15-2018, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Take up the "bogus" peak brightness readings with the website sources (Forbes, etc.) that posted them. Not me. Maybe you can share your measurements with them.

post #398 of 467 Old 09-15-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Take up the "bogus" peak brightness readings with the website sources (Forbes, etc.) that posted them. Not me. Maybe you can share your measurements with them.

At least I know how to measure peak luminance lol , you can believe whatever you want . You should take some time and learn a little about calibration etc before running around spouting nonsense like you are some kind of expert. Feel free to put me on ignore you are not worth my time honestly .

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #399 of 467 Old 09-15-2018, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Here we go....more “I know more about calibration than you do” elitist attitude crap. I didn’t know that you have to be a professional calibrator to notice a dimming defect on a TV set. Flatpanelhd are also novices? They notice the dimming defect as well, so much so that they posted an article about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #400 of 467 Old 09-15-2018, 12:11 PM

Sony A1E Dimming Defect

Here’s the bottom line there is a dimming defect that is or was triggered by high peak luminance in sdr certain content and in some hdr content like gaming, it does not impact hdr or dv content movie/streaming content . I personally have never seen my set dim but I realize others are impacted .

I believe Sony is taking steps to address the issue and hopefully it is resolved . Some have reported it is resolved others say no . Whether it’s a minor annoyance or a dealbreaker is an individual decision. To those impacted I do wish for a fix from Sony.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A

Last edited by chunon; 09-15-2018 at 12:49 PM.
post #401 of 467 Old 09-16-2018, 09:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 139
I finally got around to re-downloading the new update and had some time to play a few different video games and watch some sports. I started with the new Tomb Raider game which has some really great HDR. I did not notice any dimming, but that game also doesn't use a hud or really any on screen element during gameplay. So I checked the menus, and again no dimming. Interesting.

I next decided to check God of War, which was the first time I ever noticed the dimming in the first place. It really didn't take much to trigger the dimming in that game. Basically any time you were in combat for a minute or longer it would dim. Within the menus, it would dim. Really only exploring and cutscenes were safe. So while playing this morning, I was very pleased to see that NONE of the time I spent playing did I notice any dimming. I stood in one spot holding a button that brings out every on screen hud element for several minutes, and not once did I notice it dimming. So IF it is still there in some implementation, it doesn't seem to be triggering for me anymore. I think the real test is going to be the new spider man game, as it uses aggressive HDR and has a ton of on screen elements at all times.

So FOR ME, my main issue with the TV has been fixed as of this brief testing. I'm cautiously optimistic that they finally fixed the bull**** they pulled, and it's my hope that everyone else this issue has affected will also have their's fixed as well.

I'll keep everyone posted as i run more tests..
sd13 likes this.

Sony XBR65A1E : Sony X800

Last edited by rnk21; 09-16-2018 at 09:25 AM.
post #402 of 467 Old 09-16-2018, 12:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 333 Post(s)
Liked: 136
mine does not dim as bad with god of war ,still doing it on madden 19 .

greatone99
post #403 of 467 Old 09-19-2018, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Only just having updated my UK A1 Oled to the latest sept firmware(not sure why it didn't auto update) I immediately loaded up Pes 2019 in HDR via PS4 pro.. this title would make the screen dim almost immediately previously.

After a quick test It's certainly seems better than it was, I think it does still dim it slightly sporadically.. but nowhere near as aggressively as it did.. it's almost impercivable. I can live with that.
post #404 of 467 Old 09-24-2018, 04:51 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Here is an interesting article and tests by FlatpanelsHD.com of the Sony dimming after the latest firmware update. At least Sony claims they are still looking into user reports of dimming. I have not seen dimming on my A8F other than 100% static screen when very bright.

“Sony responds in OLED TV dimming case (plus measurements)“

https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.ph...&id=1537773683

Sony XBR-65A8F
Denon X1400, ATV 4K, HTPC
Roku Premiere+, Panasonic UB820, Sony x700
post #405 of 467 Old 09-24-2018, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Guys...... Nads on the line. Do I spend my £1800 on this TV or not?

Cheers
srinivas1015 likes this.
post #406 of 467 Old 09-24-2018, 12:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 82
you know this is making shockwaves today? it's all over my feed to be honest.. I'm no Sony owner but I am GLAD that the owners who suffer this and let's be brutally honest.. ALL SONY OWNERS suffer this dimming issue (one which i am not that familiar with and thought it was just gripes/etc)

anyways before i get too off track.. Sony has admitted they messed up bigtime.. firmware's are being slowly rolled out although from what i am reading it's still not solved

guess it forced me to make this post today because of my SHOCK at such a widespread prevalent problem... can't believe this is literally being suffered by all sony owners :O

i am shocked and for one am hoping you guys get the updates needed soon for this to be fixed.. the problem has been going on long enough (since last year from what i read) and the very first step is Sony finally saying "ok we messed up.. we're fixing it"

-+ I heard mono with my ears, stereo with my heart, but I heard surround with my soul - Unnamed
-+ My tastes are simple -- I am always satisfied with the best
-+ You ainÂt gotta like me, you just mad 'cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be!
post #407 of 467 Old 09-24-2018, 02:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucky View Post

Cheers
If you don't care about dolby vision and are buying it new without the dolby vision firmware installed go for it. If having dolby vision and being able to game without the screen dimming is important to you I would wait to see if a future firmware update continues to improve the situation or I would buy the LG C8.
srinivas1015 and caitsith01 like this.

Set up 1|Sony XBR65A1E|Pioneer SC-97|Panasonic DMP-UB900|PS4 Pro|Xbox One X|Apple TV|5.2.4 Dolby Atmos|Nintendo Switch|
Set up 2|LG OLED65C8|Pioneer SC-LX502
|Sony UBPX-X700|Xbox One X|PS4|Nintendo Wii U|Apple TV 4K|3.2.2 Dolby Atmos|
Other|LG 55EF9500|Sony XBR-55HX929|Yamaha RX-A1060BL|
post #408 of 467 Old 09-24-2018, 10:32 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:

Cheers
Would not if you watch any sports and like it to be bright my a1e dimmed all weekend with football and peak lumenince to high as of right now if you care about brightness Sony can’t even be considered useless your watching only movies in a dark room
post #409 of 467 Old 09-25-2018, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavymetalhead55 View Post
Would not if you watch any sports and like it to be bright my a1e dimmed all weekend with football and peak lumenince to high as of right now if you care about brightness Sony can’t even be considered useless your watching only movies in a dark room
Greatly appreciate both replies Guys, thank you. Gutted really as it seems I can't risk buying this model and I had my heart set on it. I guess it's an LG or do I go for the AF8 although some day that's affected as well?

I don't game but I watch a lot of sport, especially football and cricket and also shows on Netflix and Amazon and was so looking forward to seeing it all in 4K on this set.
post #410 of 467 Old 09-25-2018, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Greatly appreciate both replies Guys, thank you. Gutted really as it seems I can't risk buying this model and I had my heart set on it. I guess it's an LG or do I go for the AF8 although some day that's affected as well?

I don't game but I watch a lot of sport, especially football and cricket and also shows on Netflix and Amazon and was so looking forward to seeing it all in 4K on this set.
I don’t really game at all ether but football American or European is a killer on this set I’m guessing it’s the scoreboard the dimming patch is still bs as I still can’t watch the tv with high lumenience without dimming roughly ever 3 minutes trust me it will drive you nuts unless you can get one without the Dolby vision patch Sony really screwed up here the lg is awesome no dimming at all at really any brightness I went out and bought one around after a month of this dimming 7 months later it’s still there so that’s like 4000 dollars down the drain
post #411 of 467 Old 09-25-2018, 01:47 AM

Quote:
I don’t really game at all ether but football American or European is a killer on this set I’m guessing it’s the scoreboard the dimming patch is still bs as I still can’t watch the tv with high lumenience without dimming roughly ever 3 minutes trust me it will drive you nuts unless you can get one without the Dolby vision patch Sony really screwed up here the lg is awesome no dimming at all at really any brightness I went out and bought one around after a month of this dimming 7 months later it’s still there so that’s like 4000 dollars down the drain
So basically the latest update hasn't worked at all?
post #412 of 467 Old 09-25-2018, 01:59 AM

Quote:
So basically the latest update hasn't worked at all?
It’s better as it doesn’t happen as often nor is it as dark when it dims but the patch did not put it back to the way it was originally
post #413 of 467 Old 09-25-2018, 04:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Wow...I’m so happy. Watched all kinds of football on the weekend, and other sports, and not a single dimming situation. In fact, the only time I ever saw the dimming was when I was waiting in the title screen of Gears of War 4 and that’s when you would want it to engage to protect the screen from burn in. I’ve had my A1E for over a year now.

Watched hockey with static scoreboards all last winter as well and not a single dimming issue to speak of. It’s hard to understand how this issue affects some sets and not others. Weird.

Samsung 82” Q90R * LG 55” C8 * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro

Last edited by BRAC; 09-25-2018 at 04:14 AM.
post #414 of 467 Old 09-25-2018, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post
Wow...I’m so happy. Watched all kinds of football on the weekend, and other sports, and not a single dimming situation. In fact, the only time I ever saw the dimming was when I was waiting in the title screen of Gears of War 4 and that’s when you would want it to engage to protect the screen from burn in. I’ve had my A1E for over a year now.

Watched hockey with static scoreboards all last winter as well and not a single dimming issue to speak of. It’s hard to understand how this issue affects some sets and not others. Weird.
Is your lumenince set to high I think that makes it worse
post #415 of 467 Old 09-25-2018, 04:51 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
It’s better as it doesn’t happen as often nor is it as dark when it dims but the patch did not put it back to the way it was originally
Yes, exactly the same conclusion here. It's better but not how it was originally. Can notice it while watching football, dims a bit after a few minutes, the green pitch becomes darker. You just need to change channels to spot how much it has dimmed.
post #416 of 467 Old 09-25-2018, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoi100 View Post
Yes, exactly the same conclusion here. It's better but not how it was originally. Can notice it while watching football, dims a bit after a few minutes, the green pitch becomes darker. You just need to change channels to spot how much it has dimmed.
Yes same here I don’t know what if there ever going to put it back to normal whitch is such a shame
post #417 of 467 Old 09-25-2018, 05:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 607
Quote:
Is your lumenince set to high I think that makes it worse
I believe my luminance is at the default setting and I'm using the Cinema Pro preset.

Samsung 82” Q90R * LG 55” C8 * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #418 of 467 Old 09-25-2018, 09:39 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Yes same here I don’t know what if there ever going to put it back to normal whitch is such a shame
Yes exactly, who knows. They should at least give the user an option to enable / disable the dimming feature, and then we would have no more complaints...!
post #419 of 467 Old 09-25-2018, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoi100 View Post
This is my interpretation too.

I've been a vocal critic of Sony over this, and I think it's only fair that I also report that the new firmware for me has slightly improved the dimming issue, but has not eliminated it completely.

In football (Australian in my case) I still get some dimming after a minute or so, but it's less noticeable than it used to be. It's now a slight washing out of the 'punch' of the picture rather than a full blown darkening, and it doesn't seem to kick in as obviously. It's more obvious when it stops and you get full brightness and contrast back.

It's certainly not as nice as the TV was when I bought it, so I am still very unhappy about that. But at least watching sport is tolerable now, and probably no worse than my old plasma.

However, Sony is still a disgrace. To recap, the series of events is:

1. Release the TV with fantastic images for all content.

2. Without warning, release a firmware update which fundamentally breaks the TV for content with static elements.

3. Deny the existence of the issue for months and ignore users who are complaining by telling them this is 'normal', an 'intended function', etc.

4. Refuse to let users roll back firmware to restore the TV to the state it was in when purchased.

5. Fail to publicly acknowledge any issue until pressure builds from many complaints online.

6. Spend months with no real information being released and no new firmware.

7. Release new firmware which seems to marginally improve the problem for a few people.

Fundamentally, Sony has taken a TV costing thousands of dollars, seriously degraded its capabilities after purchase and without user consent, and then refused to acknowledge the problem, roll it back or fix it properly. It's disgusting behaviour and they are rightly being slammed for it. I hope many, many people have seen these threads and chosen not to buy Sony products as a result.
post #420 of 467 Old 09-25-2018, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Scurrah View Post
im thinking a couple posts above ,the guy is spot on, they waited till everyone reviewed the tv and gave it good reviews ,and till people bought it then they slipped it it on purpose via firmware , they knew the tv could not handle it ,they sold us a 500 horsepower car ,then detuned it for 300 without asking the consumer /owner .very shady
That was my post, and exactly!

To me it's no different to breaking into my house and breaking my stuff. Should be illegal and probably is in my country, but of course would require someone to take Sony to court which costs big $$$.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page