Sony A1E Dimming Defect - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 97Likes

post #451 of 467 Old 01-19-2019, 04:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I was in the market for a Sony A8F (Australia) and while researching it came across this thread amongst many others online. Much has been written about the A1E and A8F dimming issues and I've found people's comments about their personal experiences and Sony's comments quite illuminating (sorry for the pun).

Anyway, in case Sony is monitoring this thread, I wanted to add this. My past 3 Tvs have been Panasonic and I was well down the path of buying a Sony OLED until finding the huge number of online comments re: the dimming issue. I was keen on the upright design of the A8F and Sony Australia have been heavily discounting them on and off since Boxing Day. I came to understand why.

In the end, I bought a Pansonic FZ1000 series OLED (FZ950 Eu equiv) at a great price. I was really keen to switch over to Sony but shyed away due to the large number of online comments about the dimming issue and Sony's seemingly apathetic approach to dealing with the issue. Comprimises were made but I'm happy with my decision to stay with Panasonic for now.

Sony, customer feedback is more reliable than transparently towing the company line. Maybe the loss in sales will eventually get your attention.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 467 Old 01-20-2019, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked: 169
So much dimming problem on a supposedly "great" set. What is Sony doing to address this?

Sony 65 A9F, LG 65 E9
post #453 of 467 Old 01-20-2019, 07:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by New_to_4K View Post
So much dimming problem on a supposedly "great" set. What is Sony doing to address this?
Apparently they're reassuring people that the Dimming problem that they're seeing, doesn't exist. Are you reassured?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #454 of 467 Old 07-16-2019, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So, I ordered a A1 and then discovered this thread... Has this problem been fixed? I play games (ps4 pro and xbox one X) and watch sports regularly.

If not, I'll cancel my order.
post #455 of 467 Old 07-16-2019, 04:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by _djs_ View Post
So, I ordered a A1 and then discovered this thread... Has this problem been fixed? I play games (ps4 pro and xbox one X) and watch sports regularly.

Compared to when this thread was first created the problem has been reduced significantly but not eliminated. Sony considers it a feature and all of it's Oled's have it to some extent or another. The A1 is still a great television to game and watch sports on in my opinion. Unless you are going to replace the Sony with another oled from LG, Panasonic, etc I would keep the order because you are not going to get a much better television than the A1 picture quality wise.

Set up 1|Sony XBR65A1E|Pioneer SC-97|Panasonic DMP-UB900|PS4 Pro|Xbox One X|Apple TV|5.2.4 Dolby Atmos|Nintendo Switch|
Set up 2|LG OLED65C8|Pioneer SC-LX502
|Sony UBPX-X700|Xbox One X|PS4|Nintendo Wii U|Apple TV 4K|3.2.2 Dolby Atmos|
Other|LG 55EF9500|Sony XBR-55HX929|Yamaha RX-A1060BL|
post #456 of 467 Old 07-16-2019, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statealum View Post
Compared to when this thread was first created the problem has been reduced significantly but not eliminated. Sony considers it a feature and all of it's Oled's have it to some extent or another. The A1 is still a great television to game and watch sports on in my opinion. Unless you are going to replace the Sony with another oled from LG, Panasonic, etc I would keep the order because you are not going to get a much better television than the A1 picture quality wise.
I have a LG C6 and was going to replace it with A1. Never noticed any dimming in it...
post #457 of 467 Old 07-17-2019, 12:02 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:

The only time I had this issue at all was with a firmware update that was over a year ago and it went away with a different firmware update last year. I play games with large static huds and use the tv as a monitor occasionally and the tv does not dim at all during use. This thread is old and not relevant if you have the tv updated imo.
post #458 of 467 Old 07-17-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
I have a LG C6 and was going to replace it with A1. Never noticed any dimming in it...
The A1 would be a decent upgrade in overall picture quality from the LG C6 in my opinion. Motion, processing, etc would be better. I never had the 2016 LG C6 but I owned the 2017 LG G7 and I like the HDR picture of the Sony A1 better for games even though technically the LG G7 could get brighter.

Set up 1|Sony XBR65A1E|Pioneer SC-97|Panasonic DMP-UB900|PS4 Pro|Xbox One X|Apple TV|5.2.4 Dolby Atmos|Nintendo Switch|
post #459 of 467 Old 07-18-2019, 07:27 AM

Thanks for the help. I'm gonna keep the order
post #460 of 467 Old 07-24-2019, 06:38 PM

Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubZombie View Post
it went away with a different firmware update last year
No, it didn't.
post #461 of 467 Old 07-24-2019, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitsith01 View Post
Quote:
it went away with a different firmware update last year
No, it didn't.
Yes...it did...give me some scenario where you can make it happen and I will try and replicate it. I have my tv and I know two other people with the A1E and one with an A8F and one of them pretty much only uses his tv for sports and the rest of us game and none of us have had any dimming issue in ages.

65" Sony A1E
Sony STR-DN1080
JBL Studio L880 Towers
JBL Studio LC2 Center
JBL Studio L810 Surrounds
Velodyne DPS-10 Sub
post #462 of 467 Old 07-26-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Yes...it did...give me some scenario where you can make it happen and I will try and replicate it. I have my tv and I know two other people with the A1E and one with an A8F and one of them pretty much only uses his tv for sports and the rest of us game and none of us have had any dimming issue in ages.
The updates improved the dimming issue but it never truly removed it. Try the scenario below with your television to see if you can replicate the issue.

With a PS4 Pro hooked up and a copy of Gran Turismo Sport go to the following: GT League Campaign/Amateur League/Tourist Trophy/Audit TT Race 2.

In HDR mode on your tv set your peak luminence to high. Make sure to race in third person mode with your hud information on the screen. Pay attention to how bright everything is at the beginning of the race. By lap 2 or definitely by the start of lap 3 you should notice a drop in brightness. There is no dynamic weather or time of day in GT Sport so the drop in brightness can not be attributed to the game.

post #463 of 467 Old 07-27-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
The updates improved the dimming issue but it never truly removed it. Try the scenario below with your television to see if you can replicate the issue.

With a PS4 Pro hooked up and a copy of Gran Turismo Sport go to the following: GT League Campaign/Amateur League/Tourist Trophy/Audit TT Race 2.

In HDR mode on your tv set your peak luminence to high. Make sure to race in third person mode with your hud information on the screen. Pay attention to how bright everything is at the beginning of the race. By lap 2 or definitely by the start of lap 3 you should notice a drop in brightness. There is no dynamic weather or time of day in GT Sport so the drop in brightness can not be attributed to the game.

Unfortunately I do not have GT Sport but that would be very simple to test as quickly switching to the PS4 home screen and right back to the game would brighten the picture if the tv was doing it. Any others?

65" Sony A1E
Sony STR-DN1080
JBL Studio L880 Towers
JBL Studio LC2 Center
JBL Studio L810 Surrounds
Velodyne DPS-10 Sub

Last edited by SubZombie; 07-27-2019 at 06:23 PM.
post #464 of 467 Old 08-16-2019, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately I do not have GT Sport but that would be very simple to test as quickly switching to the PS4 home screen and right back to the game would brighten the picture if the tv was doing it. Any others?
GT Sport is the biggest torture test that clearly shows the issue out of the games I own. As I mentioned before Sony has improved their dimming algorithm so most of the other games that used to dim badly when I played don't anymore.

post #465 of 467 Old 09-18-2019, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Glads to see this thread is still alive.

I bought my sony A1E in December 2017, became aware of this dimming issue (by witnessing it) a few months later, and I still have the same problem today.

Every.
Single.
Gaming.
Session.

is plagued with this auto dimming issue. It came to a point that I play with +2 or +3 of gamma. I sent back the TV to the store twice for 'reparation' but they never could identify the issue (and I can't blame them for that because it happens very randomly). They offered to ship it back to Sony but I'm afraid it'll take forever and they will return it in the same condition. I was waiting to put a good 4-5k on the side to buy a new tv and then send my A1E to Sony and cross my fingers that they would help. I'm nearly reaching that point (and by the way, I take advice on a good 85"" (minimum) gaming tv, if you guys have any recommendations)

Put simply, Sony ****ed me. Hard. It's a ****ing $4.000 TV we're talking about here (back when I bought it). I've always been amazed by the fact that I could not ever find a proper solution to this problem, or anyone online proving to Sony that they should simply issue refunds to the owners.

Anyways, point being, **** Sony, do not buy this TV.
post #466 of 467 Old 09-18-2019, 06:09 AM

Quote:

I have dozens of other scenarios to offer across xbox X, ps4 pro and PC to provide if needed be
post #467 of 467 Old 09-18-2019, 06:15 AM

Quote:
It happens on the new Gears of War 5 after playing for a while, It happens all the time on Outward (on pc) as well - I like this "case" because pressing start and waiting 5sec restores the original brightness. It happens on the last god of war on PS4 pro, though less often. Also on the new Wolfenstein New Blood on Xbox one X. This one is a pain as aiming the head really helps, but it's easy to confuse the mobs wearing dark outfits with the often dark/grey backgrounds.

Those are games I m playing these days so those are the freshest examples I can come up with, but it happens all the time. All. The. Time.

What's seriously twisted about this flaw is that the dimming process happens so slowly that you only realize that after a while. It's nearly subtle in a way. But too often in dark areas in games (or at night) I realized that it was way too dark and then figured that it was the auto-dimming again.

I'm playing on a Sony A1E 65"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page