Sony A1E Dimming Defect - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 97Likes

post #151 of 468 Old 05-20-2018, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickff View Post
Much appreciated. However, the more damning evidence is when it dims while the game is being played.
Not the best video, but i recorded some more while playing God Of War:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 468 Old 05-20-2018, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked: 628
I suspect what you are seeing in that video is something going on in the game itself. Would be interesting to see that part of the game on a different set.

Samsung 82” Q90R * LG 55” C8 * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #153 of 468 Old 05-20-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAC View Post
I suspect what you are seeing in that video is something going on in the game itself. Would be interesting to see that part of the game on a different set.
Not sure, i've seen this with Uncharted 4 and Horizon Zero Dawn as well. I can try to check this on another TV set.

Just stumbled upon this video, very good example:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 468 Old 05-20-2018, 02:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked: 1055
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoss View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL2ilEzw6sY

That's not dimming caused by the TV. It's the fake HDR/dynamic tone mapping that has been used in games since a decade or so.

Here is a video where Valve explains this effect using their source engine:

post #155 of 468 Old 05-20-2018, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk82 View Post
That's not dimming caused by the TV. It's the fake HDR/dynamic tone mapping that has been used in games since a decade or so.
Thanks, yeah that looks exactly the same. What a weird thing to do, it's very distracting. Also, Kratos (the main character) is getting brighter and darker, which seems very unnatural.

I probably mixed that effect up with the actual dimming issue that sets in after 30-60 seconds on "static" screens.

Do you reckon this fake tone mapping is also causing the dimming in the video in my previous post? The other God Of War video (not by me)?

Last edited by DrummerBoss; 05-20-2018 at 02:58 PM.
post #156 of 468 Old 05-20-2018, 03:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 978 Post(s)
Liked: 1055
Quote:
Do you reckon this fake tone mapping is also causing the dimming in the video in my previous post? The other God Of War video (not by me)?

No that looks like the dimming issue that's being discussed in this thread. As far as I can tell it seems to happen whenever part of the picture is static (like a game hud) for a certain amount of time.

Please note I have an LG Oled not a Sony but I've been following the dimming issue out of curiosity.
post #157 of 468 Old 05-21-2018, 04:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 242
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL2ilEzw6sY
If you have Witcher 3, the unwarranted dimming is easily reproduced...happens every time I play a game of gwent.
post #158 of 468 Old 05-21-2018, 04:49 AM

Quote:
If you have Witcher 3, the unwarranted dimming is easily reproduced...happens every time I play a game of gwent.
Yes i have that one, will try that out!

I'm still not 100% sure if that God Of War footage i recorded is due to the TV defect or intended. Sometimes it seems really excessive, not something that has been programmed to be like that. I will look into more games i can record, starting with a round of gwent in the Witcher 3 then.

I've also read on the Sony support forum that the user that made the other God Of War video had a call with Sony last week and they are going to fix the problem. Fingers crossed! Here's the thread: https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/andr...2451101/page/5

Last edited by DrummerBoss; 05-21-2018 at 04:55 AM.
post #159 of 468 Old 05-21-2018, 06:36 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I am following that Sony support thread with interest.

I am waiting to hear from Sony about my own issues. They initially gave me the usual script (factory reset, intended feature, blah blah blah) but I stuck to my guns and it has now been escalated. I wonder whether there is finally some communication happening within Sony about this, based on that UK thread you linked to.
post #160 of 468 Old 05-21-2018, 09:10 PM

An interesting update - I just had a call from a product manager at Sony Australia, the effect of which was:
  • Sony is aware of the issue and acknowledges that it is an issue
  • The problem was introduced in the DV firmware update and was intended to prevent burn in
  • They have just had a phone conference (or meeting, wasn't clear) where they were told that Sony's engineers in Japan are aware of this issue and actively working on a fix
  • They would like me to sit tight on the basis that they are waiting to find out when a firmware update will be released to sort this out
It was repeated several times that the issue has been acknowledged internally and their engineers are working on a fix, they just don't know how long that will take.

That is the first positive information I have had directly from Sony itself which was anything other than me being told that this is an "intended feature" of the set. It's also very consistent with the comments in the UK support forum thread linked to above.

It's also somewhat encouraging that Sony people in the UK and Australia both seem to be getting the same feedback from Sony in Japan, i.e., "we know there's a problem and we're working on a fix".

I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt for now on the basis that they are working on fixing it, because I love everything else about this TV.
lsorensen likes this.
post #161 of 468 Old 05-21-2018, 10:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 735 Post(s)
Liked: 628
Hopefully this is legit and they aren’t just telling you what you want to hear.

Samsung 82” Q90R * LG 55” C8 * Denon X4500H * 5.2.4 Atmos * Xbox One X * PS4 Pro
post #162 of 468 Old 05-22-2018, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caitsith01 View Post
An interesting update - I just had a call from a product manager at Sony Australia, the effect of which was:
  • Sony is aware of the issue and acknowledges that it is an issue
  • The problem was introduced in the DV firmware update and was intended to prevent burn in
  • They have just had a phone conference (or meeting, wasn't clear) where they were told that Sony's engineers in Japan are aware of this issue and actively working on a fix
  • They would like me to sit tight on the basis that they are waiting to find out when a firmware update will be released to sort this out
It was repeated several times that the issue has been acknowledged internally and their engineers are working on a fix, they just don't know how long that will take.

That is the first positive information I have had directly from Sony itself which was anything other than me being told that this is an "intended feature" of the set. It's also very consistent with the comments in the UK support forum thread linked to above.

It's also somewhat encouraging that Sony people in the UK and Australia both seem to be getting the same feedback from Sony in Japan, i.e., "we know there's a problem and we're working on a fix".

I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt for now on the basis that they are working on fixing it, because I love everything else about this TV.

If you have a chance to converse with them again...let me know that we know auto-dim is a feature (and one that is appreciated!)...but it is being activated when it should not be. It should only turn on when the screen is completely static or a high percentage of the screen is static (much higher than it requires now).

Sony XBR-65A1E // Denon X6300H // Klipsch RF-7ii (x2), RC-64ii, RB-51ii (x4) // SVS PB12-Plus // Xbox One X // WDTV Live // Sony UBP-X700 // Chromecast Ultra // Harmony 670
post #163 of 468 Old 05-22-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
If you have a chance to converse with them again...let me know that we know auto-dim is a feature (and one that is appreciated!)...but it is being activated when it should not be. It should only turn on when the screen is completely static or a high percentage of the screen is static (much higher than it requires now).
Rest assured I've said all of that to them.

I've explained that I understand the idea behind the feature, but that it is (a) far too aggressive in terms of how much it dims, and (b) far too aggressive in terms of how much static content triggers it.

I sent them that God of War video (the first one, not the one above) which to me is the clearest demonstration of the problem.
post #164 of 468 Old 05-23-2018, 12:09 AM

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Firmware update to v6.5603

Benefits and improvements from the latest update

• Introduces the ability to add new apps to “My Apps” on the TV menu bar
  • Improves the user experience when registering favourite channels using the TV menu bar
  • Improves the software update confirmation screen
  • Reduces the time it takes for audio output to be heard from the Sound Bar when switching the TV on from standby
  • Resolves an issue where the brightness decreases every time HDR content is played
  • Resolves an issue where SDR content flashes/flickers while the TV's HDR setting is set to "Auto"
  • Resolves an issue where lip sync error occurs when the Sound Bar is connected to TV
Hopefully that's it. It's available in EU.
sonoi100 likes this.

SONY KD-65A1
SONY UBP-X800
SONY HT-ST5000

Last edited by lukv; 05-23-2018 at 12:13 AM.
post #165 of 468 Old 05-23-2018, 01:42 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukv View Post
Firmware update to v6.5603

Benefits and improvements from the latest update

• Introduces the ability to add new apps to “My Apps” on the TV menu bar
  • Improves the user experience when registering favourite channels using the TV menu bar
  • Improves the software update confirmation screen
  • Reduces the time it takes for audio output to be heard from the Sound Bar when switching the TV on from standby
  • Resolves an issue where the brightness decreases every time HDR content is played
  • Resolves an issue where SDR content flashes/flickers while the TV's HDR setting is set to "Auto"
  • Resolves an issue where lip sync error occurs when the Sound Bar is connected to TV
Hopefully that's it. It's available in EU.
Wow, hopefully this resolves all our long running dimming issues... Anyone able to test the new firmware yet?
Spizz likes this.
post #166 of 468 Old 05-23-2018, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoi100 View Post
Wow, hopefully this resolves all our long running dimming issues... Anyone able to test the new firmware yet?
I'm in the EU and the update didn't show up on my set yet.
post #167 of 468 Old 05-23-2018, 02:51 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
you can download it from the Sony website.

TV: Sony KD-65A1 OLED
AVR: Denon X1400H - Speakers: Onkyo SKS-HT588 - 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos set
Multimedia: Xbox One X / Apple TV 4K / MySky HD - Humax ESi-160
Headset: Turtle Beach Elite 800X
post #168 of 468 Old 05-23-2018, 04:04 AM

Quote:

SONY generally pushes it to auto-update servers 2-3 weeks after it was originally published on the website.

SONY KD-65A1
SONY UBP-X800
SONY HT-ST5000
post #169 of 468 Old 05-23-2018, 04:09 AM

I will test this update after work this evening with a live football match on BTSport channel and report back...
post #170 of 468 Old 05-23-2018, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitico303 View Post
Quote:
you can download it from the Sony website.

Do they usually release in other countries shortly after an initial release? Ie eu release first. Wanting this on my US set
post #171 of 468 Old 05-23-2018, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by sass8181 View Post
Do they usually release in other countries shortly after an initial release? Ie eu release first. Wanting this on my US set
well, it's actually the opposite: usually US users are the first to receive the newest firmware updates (as for the DV update), but I'm sure that in the next days it will be available in the US too. however, we had to wait about a month in Europe in order to receive the DV update. We'll see.

TV: Sony KD-65A1 OLED
AVR: Denon X1400H - Speakers: Onkyo SKS-HT588 - 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos set
Multimedia: Xbox One X / Apple TV 4K / MySky HD - Humax ESi-160
Headset: Turtle Beach Elite 800X
post #172 of 468 Old 05-23-2018, 10:30 AM

It still dims for me after the update. Maybe the pattern was changed but honestly I can't tell the difference.

SONY KD-65A1
SONY UBP-X800
SONY HT-ST5000
post #173 of 468 Old 05-23-2018, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 14
Quote:
It still dims for me after the update. Maybe the pattern was changed but honestly I can't tell the difference.
That is discouraging to say the least.

Sony A1E OLED 4K Ultra HD
post #174 of 468 Old 05-23-2018, 01:39 PM

Just updated and yes, it's still there...

Probably this update isn't their response to the issues everybody over here and other forums have been reporting. I can image that can take a bit more time. If this issue isn't fixed with the next FW update i'm returning my TV.
lsorensen likes this.
post #175 of 468 Old 05-23-2018, 02:03 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Thanks, yeah that looks exactly the same. What a weird thing to do, it's very distracting. Also, Kratos (the main character) is getting brighter and darker, which seems very unnatural.

I probably mixed that effect up with the actual dimming issue that sets in after 30-60 seconds on "static" screens.

yeah i have been reading about in game settings for god of war and everyone says the hdr is all out of whack on this game. some areas look really good and then some just get too dark and some other stuff. I dont think my tv dims but in certain areas of the game it does get super dark but if you move to another area it brightens back up. My suggestion is to mess around with the brightness and contrast in the game after you mastered your game settings on the tv.

Some people set their brightness in the game at 60 and the contrast to 40. I have mine at 55 brightness and 45 contrast. this with my current game settings hits the spot is most areas. I have it set to master resolution too
post #176 of 468 Old 05-23-2018, 03:27 PM

Quote:
That is not all that promising, because this issue definitely affects non-HDR content, and doesn't happen every time HDR content is played. That sounds like something different.
lsorensen likes this.
post #177 of 468 Old 05-23-2018, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Anyone else see that there is no firmware available update available for the 65A1E on the US Sony site? The only update listed is for South American countries.

Sony XBR-65A1E // Denon X6300H // Klipsch RF-7ii (x2), RC-64ii, RB-51ii (x4) // SVS PB12-Plus // Xbox One X // WDTV Live // Sony UBP-X700 // Chromecast Ultra // Harmony 670
post #178 of 468 Old 05-24-2018, 02:02 AM

Updated it last night, dimming is definitely still there like others have said - although it doesn't seem to dim as dark as before, or maybe something wrong with my eyes. Tested it with non HDR football match on BTSport channel. Think our dimming issue is only just being looked at now by Sony... so guess the wait continues till the next firmware... or they provide us a way to go back to pre DV update firmware...

Edit: the dimming is as dark as before. Watching the champions league final now on non hdr and the picture is ruined completely, so dark. Such a major screw up by Sony...

Last edited by sonoi100; 05-26-2018 at 12:04 PM.
post #179 of 468 Old 05-25-2018, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoi100 View Post
Updated it last night, dimming is definitely still there like others have said - although it doesn't seem to dim as dark as before, or maybe something wrong with my eyes. Tested it with non HDR football match on BTSport channel. Think our dimming issue is only just being looked at now by Sony... so guess the wait continues till the next firmware... or they provide us a way to go back to pre DV update firmware...
This is just a bunch of crap. What Sony has done to it's customers is unacceptable and for those of us out of our return period, we're hosed and stuck with a $3500 paperweight.

Sony A1E OLED 4K Ultra HD
post #180 of 468 Old 05-26-2018, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Vincent talks about the dimming issue in his A8F review starting a little after the 13 minute mark.

Says dimming is most aggressive when Peak Luminance is set to high (which people do to counter room light or for full HDR output).
Spizz likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page