Sony A1E Dimming Defect - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 97Likes

post #211 of 468 Old 06-04-2018, 03:14 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Thanks for all of the help and input on this major screw up by Sony. My A1E is going back Thursday. Good luck to those that are stuck with a dimming set. Hopefully the holding pattern for a fix you are in won’t be much longer. I just can’t risk having a dimming $3200 tv as I’m close to my return window ending.
john2069 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 468 Old 06-04-2018, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by sass8181 View Post
Thanks for all of the help and input on this major screw up by Sony. My A1E is going back Thursday. Good luck to those that are stuck with a dimming set. Hopefully the holding pattern for a fix you are in won’t be much longer. I just can’t risk having a dimming $3200 tv as I’m close to my return window ending.
Although I'm sorry you're dealing with that hassle, I hope there are plenty more like you being put off, as I expect money and embarrassment are the only things that are going to force Sony to fix this problem.
post #213 of 468 Old 06-04-2018, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by caitsith01 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sass8181 View Post
Although I'm sorry you're dealing with that hassle, I hope there are plenty more like you being put off, as I expect money and embarrassment are the only things that are going to force Sony to fix this problem.
I agree. It’s sad bc it’s a truly wonderful television if the dimming didn’t act like a fool. It’s a calculated risk to hold onto with the hopes of a fix. Will a fix come? I’m sure it will. Will it be in a timely manner that the customer deserves considering how expensive it costs? Doubtful. Again, hopefully it works out for all of those that spent their hard earned money on the set.
caitsith01 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 468 Old 06-04-2018, 08:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Well, I can say as a Sony lover and potential customer I am awaiting a fix on this dimming issue before I can consider buying this TV or the A8F.
Spizz, GregF2 and caitsith01 like this.

Sony XBR75Z9D
LG 65 B7P
Sony XBR65X930E
Martin Logan Spires
Seaton Submersive Pair
post #215 of 468 Old 06-05-2018, 02:10 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Is there anyone already using Version V6.5603? The german Sony page is saying that they started to release this Version since Mai 23 2018 and it will take until June to be rolled out completely. The release notes address the dimming issue and I wonder if it works?
Until now I just have the dimming issues while I playing Games on PS4 Pro when HDR is turned on. It seems that the TV is still dimming when HDR is off but not that aggressively.
post #216 of 468 Old 06-05-2018, 03:41 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japocino View Post
Is there anyone already using Version V6.5603? The german Sony page is saying that they started to release this Version since Mai 23 2018 and it will take until June to be rolled out completely. The release notes address the dimming issue and I wonder if it works?
Until now I just have the dimming issues while I playing Games on PS4 Pro when HDR is turned on. It seems that the TV is still dimming when HDR is off but not that aggressively.
You can put it on a USB and manually install it. As you can read a few pages back, the issue isn't solved. Perhaps the next FW update.
post #217 of 468 Old 06-05-2018, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1539 Post(s)
Liked: 896
Quote:

The release notes are talking about a totally different dim HDR problem, not the dimming when part of the screen is constant problem. The dimming defect does not only apply to HDR mode after all.
caitsith01 likes this.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #218 of 468 Old 06-05-2018, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 43
What is the logic behind dimming static portions of the screen, to prevent IR/BI risk on oled, or is it something else? on sony's hdr lcd's, nothing like this exists, you could pause god of war hdr on ps4 pro for hours, brightness stays the same. with sony oleds, people are reporting that if you pause gow for even one minute, it turns dim and then goes back to being bright when you unpause it and tv detecs motion.
post #219 of 468 Old 06-05-2018, 02:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes it is a burn in / IR protection feature.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #220 of 468 Old 06-05-2018, 02:27 PM

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfson23 View Post
What is the logic behind dimming static portions of the screen, to prevent IR/BI risk on oled, or is it something else? on sony's hdr lcd's, nothing like this exists, you could pause god of war hdr on ps4 pro for hours, brightness stays the same. with sony oleds, people are reporting that if you pause gow for even one minute, it turns dim and then goes back to being bright when you unpause it and tv detecs motion.
Yes it prevents burn in and improves the panel life. Note that LG OLEDs have the same thing although they are using different parameters. For example instead of one minute to start the reduction it uses a longer time and may not dim as fast as the Sony. I never notice it when I play Far Cry 5, a very bright HDR game by the way. And if by some rare chance I do stand still for more than 60 seconds, then I want the dimming to protect the panel since I am not actively playing at that point. And I never notice it on normal content. However, I do wish they made it the same as LG.

Sony XBR-65A8F
Denon X1400, ATV 4K, HTPC
Roku Premiere+, Panasonic UB820, Sony x700

Last edited by BreakPoint; 06-05-2018 at 02:42 PM.
post #221 of 468 Old 06-05-2018, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakPoint View Post
Yes it prevents burn in and improves the panel life. Note that LG OLEDs have the same thing although they are using different parameters. For example instead of one minute to start the reduction it uses a longer time and may not dim as fast as the Sony. I never notice it when I play Far Cry 5, a very bright HDR game by the way. And if by some rare chance I do stand still for more than 60 seconds, then I want the dimming to protect the panel since I am not actively playing at that point. And I never notice it on normal content. However, I do wish they made it the same as LG.
Preventing burnings is a good thin and if it is like this that the TV do the dimming when static content appears it will be great. But when I am play Fifa18 the TV gets dark and bright all the time during a match. Not once but back and forth until the match ends. When I am in the main menu and do nothing the TV do not do the dimming. ATM I just helped myself by turning off HDR for the ps4. Which is not satisfying but still bearable since I have no issues viewing video content from any services.
post #222 of 468 Old 06-05-2018, 06:28 PM

Quote:
It's not dimming static portions of the screen though, that's the problem. It's dimming the whole screen when only a portion of it is static.

If it was just dimming the score during sport, or the UI during gaming, then this would be a great feature.
post #223 of 468 Old 06-05-2018, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Preventing burnings is a good thin and if it is like this that the TV do the dimming when static content appears it will be great. But when I am play Fifa18 the TV gets dark and bright all the time during a match. Not once but back and forth until the match ends. When I am in the main menu and do nothing the TV do not do the dimming. ATM I just helped myself by turning off HDR for the ps4. Which is not satisfying but still bearable since I have no issues viewing video content from any services.
But it is dimming based on static content while you are playing - it's detecting the score and other fixed UI elements and dimming the whole screen. Because it is broken and poorly thought through.

I don't think anyone would have a major complaint with the screen diming totally static content after a reasonable period (IMHO 5-10 minutes, given people might want to use the screen to display photos).
post #224 of 468 Old 06-05-2018, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 139
The screen should NEVER dim when the picture is active, period. I have zero problems if the set dims an inactive screen after 60 seconds. When the screen is moving and active, it should never dim. It never did before, and it damn sure shouldn't now.

Sony XBR65A1E : Sony X800
post #225 of 468 Old 06-05-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnk21 View Post
The screen should NEVER dim when the picture is active, period. I have zero problems if the set dims an inactive screen after 60 seconds. When the screen is moving and active, it should never dim. It never did before, and it damn sure shouldn't now.
I agree.

But even a static screen shouldn't dim so quickly. What if you want to look at photos, for example?

Basically, this should be user selectable in the options. But this is Sony we're talking about.
post #226 of 468 Old 06-06-2018, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
I agree.

But even a static screen shouldn't dim so quickly. What if you want to look at photos, for example?

Basically, this should be user selectable in the options. But this is Sony we're talking about.
I was looking at this Sony as a possible replacement for my LG OLED65B6P that LG screwed up with an upgrade last September killing the black level and has not done anything with since, but based on what I'm reading here it looks like I am wasting my time.

If burn in is such a big problem that Sony must resort to doing this to address it I really don't want to waste my money on such a crippled TV.
post #227 of 468 Old 06-06-2018, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyy2 View Post
I was looking at this Sony as a possible replacement for my LG OLED65B6P that LG screwed up with an upgrade last September killing the black level and has not done anything with since, but based on what I'm reading here it looks like I am wasting my time.

If burn in is such a big problem that Sony must resort to doing this to address it I really don't want to waste my money on such a crippled TV.
Yeah, given the reports about LG burn in problems and this weird behaviour by Sony, I'm starting to think that OLED is just not market-ready.

I'm bummed because I finally gave up my old plasma for the A1 on the basis that I thought the tech had finally matured with this generation.
post #228 of 468 Old 06-07-2018, 04:29 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I agree with you. I really want a Sony OLED, but will not bet getting one until this issue is fixed. Will hold on to my trusty Kuro, as at least I know that is reliable and still produces a great picture. Really want to upgrade, but who wants a tv that dims when watching sports or doing other things?

Quote:
Yeah, given the reports about LG burn in problems and this weird behaviour by Sony, I'm starting to think that OLED is just not market-ready.

I'm bummed because I finally gave up my old plasma for the A1 on the basis that I thought the tech had finally matured with this generation.
post #229 of 468 Old 06-07-2018, 06:25 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 4
For the sake of your sanity, my advice would be for anyone contemplating the purchase of the A1E,is to steer clear. The dimming issue is severe and Sony Customer Service handling of the matter can only be described as a corporate disaster. One respected and knowedgeable poster on the Sony Community Forum writes that the matter is teetering very precariously on the edge of a full-on PR disaster.

The introduction of the PKG6.2858 FW has trashed the set and Sony's intransigence decarling that it is within specification has driven owners to despair. Before the update, everything was almost perfect, why it was decided to introduce the dimming is baffling and beyond comprehention. The subsequent v6.5603 firmware has failed to address the issue.

Vincent Teoh's HDTVtest video
11 mins 50 secs in mentions the over aggressiveness effect perfectly. He adds to the agony by saying that Sony will not address the issue until later after the World Cup which in reality could be this year, next year or never. We need a definitive yes the issue will be address or a no it will not happen. The uncertainty cannot be allowed to continue.
mattg3, move4ward and caitsith01 like this.
post #230 of 468 Old 06-07-2018, 02:58 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanPot View Post
11 mins 50 secs in mentions the over aggressiveness effect perfectly. He adds to the agony by saying that Sony will not address the issue until later after the World Cup which in reality could be this year, next year or never. We need a definitive yes the issue will be address or a no it will not happen. The uncertainty cannot be allowed to continue.
He didn't say 'they will not' but that given the timeframe until the WC starts another update is simply out of the question.

But definitely a reason to hold off a purchase for now ...
post #231 of 468 Old 06-07-2018, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by mithras1 View Post
He didn't say 'they will not' but that given the timeframe until the WC starts another update is simply out of the question.

But definitely a reason to hold off a purchase for now ...
I am sure it takes a while to make any firmware update to go through the SDLC. Hopefully, they add a setting to turn it off completely. It would be nice to have, if the fix is still problematic.
post #232 of 468 Old 06-07-2018, 05:44 PM

FWIW it's reported over in the Sony UK support forums that the recent fw update was intended to address this issue. If that's the case then that is very disappointing to hear. The description in the update indicates that Sony doesn't even understand what the problem is, let alone how to fix it.
AlanPot likes this.
post #233 of 468 Old 06-07-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixdoctor View Post
Well, I can say as a Sony lover and potential customer I am awaiting a fix on this dimming issue before I can consider buying this TV or the A8F.
wait for the a9f later this year, it will have new processing (x1 ultimate) and i bet different algorithms for abl and dimming than what you are seeing on these x1 xtreme equipped sony oleds (a1 and a8f).
post #234 of 468 Old 06-07-2018, 07:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
wait for the a9f later this year, it will have new processing (x1 ultimate) and i bet different algorithms for abl and dimming than what you are seeing on these x1 xtreme equipped sony oleds (a1 and a8f).
The problem with waiting is that I am sure Sony is probably going to bring the A9F in at a hefty price, at a time when the LG's will be starting to seriously drop in price and even the A8 and A1E will be a lot cheaper. Therefore that Ultimate chip better be a grand slam for the A9F or else Sony might have a problem selling the new sets.

Sony XBR75Z9D
LG 65 B7P
Sony XBR65X930E
Martin Logan Spires
Seaton Submersive Pair
post #235 of 468 Old 06-07-2018, 08:03 PM

^well in terms of sales, lg has pushed lot more oleds globally than the sony a1, so could also be the same with the a9f. my point wasn't based on sales and price tags, only the technical issue being faced by people here and how the a9f could rectify it.
post #236 of 468 Old 06-07-2018, 08:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
FWIW it's reported over in the Sony UK support forums that the recent fw update was intended to address this issue. If that's the case then that is very disappointing to hear. The description in the update indicates that Sony doesn't even understand what the problem is, let alone how to fix it.

The only people that believed that were those that thought Sony could release a firmware update in under a week, and thought a release note about "dim HDR" had anything to do with this problem, which it of course does not since it is not just an HDR problem.

Len Sorensen

post #237 of 468 Old 06-07-2018, 08:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
^well in terms of sales, lg has pushed lot more oleds globally than the sony a1, so could also be the same with the a9f. my point wasn't based on sales and price tags, only the technical issue being faced by people here and how the a9f could rectify it.
If they come out with the A9F that fixes the problem before they fix the problem on the A1E and A8, there will be a riot here on the forum!

Sony XBR75Z9D
LG 65 B7P
Sony XBR65X930E
Martin Logan Spires
Seaton Submersive Pair
post #238 of 468 Old 06-07-2018, 08:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I just want to play devils advocate and ask......Could it only be certain settings that triggers the dimming effect on the Sony sets? There are some respected members on the Sony OLED owners threads that say they do not see it or at least does not effect their viewing much on SDR.

Sony XBR75Z9D
LG 65 B7P
Sony XBR65X930E
Martin Logan Spires
Seaton Submersive Pair
post #239 of 468 Old 06-07-2018, 08:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixdoctor View Post
I just want to play devils advocate and ask......Could it only be certain settings that triggers the dimming effect on the Sony sets? There are some respected members on the Sony OLED owners threads that say they do not see it or at least does not effect their viewing much on SDR.

I think the peak brightness setting has been claimed to affect how noticeable it is.

Len Sorensen

post #240 of 468 Old 06-07-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
The only people that believed that were those that thought Sony could release a firmware update in under a week, and thought a release note about "dim HDR" had anything to do with this problem, which it of course does not since it is not just an HDR problem.
You're misreading my post. It's being reported that Sony has said that the update was meant to fix the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page