AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   OLED Technology and Flat Panels General (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/)
-   -   Sony A1E Dimming Defect (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2969454-sony-a1e-dimming-defect.html)

cardinalryan 04-07-2018 05:05 AM

Sony A1E Dimming Defect

I feel like this issue warrants it's own thread. Many A1E owners, including myself, are experiencing very distracting arbitrary dimming of their sets and it is marring the A1E experience which otherwise is fantastic.

Please let this thread stay alive and everyone who is experiencing this should comment here and maybe Sony will take action by issuing a firmware update.

Vivek Vastrad 04-07-2018 05:39 AM

I can confirm that my TV dims, its very noticeable when gaming on a PS4 pro after around 1 minute the screen dims very quickly unless the screen changes. It's really bad, this was the Asia Pacific update (Australian). I even opened a support ticket but no one got back to me... This is really upsetting, I loved the TV before, I hope they put out a fix quickly.

VidPro 04-07-2018 05:58 AM

I will check later. Up until now I haven’t noticed it.

rocky1 04-07-2018 06:15 AM

Best way to test to see if mine hs it??

cardinalryan 04-07-2018 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rocky1 (Post 55991918)
Best way to test to see if mine hs it??

All I can tell you is that it is most noticeable while watching basketball. That said, it happens while watching other stuff too. It's so random, I really don't know how you'd "test" for it. What I can tell you is that if you have the issue, you'd know it because it's highly annoying.

lukv 04-07-2018 07:59 AM

I can easily reproduce this gaming on PS4/XBOX in HDR. Every semi-static screen (driving a car in Forza, playing Gwent in Witcher 3, swimming in games etc.) causes the panel to dim after around 1 minute.
It brightens up again after there's a almost complete refresh of what's displayed on the screen.

Luminance peak is set to high.

It started to happen after the last (Dolby Vision) update, before it was perfect. Buyers beware.

gadgtfreek 04-07-2018 08:22 AM

I can make mine do it within the minute as stated above on HDR, but I have paused mine on SDR for 5 mins and it hasn't done anything. So not sure why the deviations.

It is just like my EF9500 behaved, long scenes on GoT (dark) with a consistent APL would start dimming on live content, we all went into the service menu and cut ABSL off (IRC). On my 2016 E6 they increased the time before it would start, and it wasn't an issue anymore, I mean I have no problem with it dimming if you leave it paused for 5 mins, granted I am not sure why tv manufactures just don't just create a screen saver like Direct, Oppo, ATV...

Anyways, if anyone is familiar with the SM on a Sony, you may can cut it off, but with the update they obviously did not learn from LG and were too aggressive with the timer. I am pretty sure it is based on APL like the LG.

gadgtfreek 04-07-2018 08:23 AM

rnk21 04-07-2018 11:55 AM

We need John Archer or Vincent Teoh to report on this..

statealum 04-07-2018 12:05 PM

-The dimming effect on my television seems to be more severe than others. It activates in both SDR and HDR on my tv. I have seen it streaming live tv with Apple TV and Directv Now, I have seen it in video games, 4K Blu ray movies, and streaming shows via netflix to various degrees. Even if I enable BFI on my tv (BFI by nature lowers light output) after a while the tv will continue to dim even with BFI enabled. The dimming occurs regardless of where I set Peak Luminance (formerly known as Xtended Dynamic Range).

-My issues started immediately after downloading the Mid/Late January update that granted the television the ability to view Dolby Vision content. I figured Sony would push out another update soon after to fix the issue. After the last firmware update on March 20th did not fix my issue I decided to call Sony to open up a case.

-This week I was asked to send in photos that showed the front of my tv as well as the back showing the tv model and serial number. I was also told to send in a video of my issue. So far they have not given off any indication that they would not be willing to help me and everyone I have talked to has been polite so far so I am hopeful a satisfactory resolution can be reached.

statealum 04-07-2018 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadgtfreek (Post 55992408)
I can make mine do it within the minute as stated above on HDR, but I have paused mine on SDR for 5 mins and it hasn't done anything. So not sure why the deviations.

It is just like my EF9500 behaved, long scenes on GoT (dark) with a consistent APL would start dimming on live content, we all went into the service menu and cut ABSL off (IRC). On my 2016 E6 they increased the time before it would start, and it wasn't an issue anymore, I mean I have no problem with it dimming if you leave it paused for 5 mins, granted I am not sure why tv manufactures just don't just create a screen saver like Direct, Oppo, ATV...

Anyways, if anyone is familiar with the SM on a Sony, you may can cut it off, but with the update they obviously did not learn from LG and were too aggressive with the timer. I am pretty sure it is based on APL like the LG.

But remember with the LG EF9500 you could also minimize the dimming effect with a combination of settings. People set their Oled light to 100 and then adjusted their contrast accordingly so going into the service menu was not even required to reduce the dimming effect on the LG EF9500. I wish I could discover some combination of settings that work on my Sony A1E but I have not been able to find any that stop/reduce the dimming effect.

SubZombie 04-07-2018 02:24 PM

I’ve had this since downloading the DV firmware a month or two ago, however I’ve never had it interfere with anything. I’ve never had it happen while watching a movie, tv, or playing a game. It only happens if I’m on a menu for something without anything moving on the screen for a minute or two but it immediately brightens as soon as anything moves on the screen.

Vivek Vastrad 04-07-2018 06:15 PM

I can confirm that the dimming happens in SDR as well, was watching the Formula 1 qualifying last night and the static graphics on screen cause it to dim within a minute. Really frustrating... Before it wouldn't dim since the screen would most likely refresh long before the auto dim kicks in.

TheSonyExperience 04-07-2018 11:32 PM

The issue for me appears to only occur when I stream HDR content. Discs and SDR streamed content seem fine so far.

Vivek Vastrad 04-08-2018 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSonyExperience (Post 55996598)
The issue for me appears to only occur when I stream HDR content. Discs and SDR streamed content seem fine so far.

Is your peak luminescence set to high?

Heavymetalhead55 04-08-2018 01:26 AM

i have this everytime i watch a baseball game on mlbtv all of a sudden the screen will get noticeably dark its annoying and driving me crazy wish i could go back and uninstall the DV update tbh.

AlanPot 04-08-2018 04:55 AM

I have a severe dimming problem after the PKG6.2858.0082 software update here in the UK. The picture before the update was stunning and the best I have ever experienced on any TV. This update has completely ruined the set for me and I have little confidence that Sony will issue a fix. Totally gutted.

cardinalryan 04-08-2018 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlanPot (Post 55996992)
I have a severe dimming problem after the PKG6.2858.0082 software update here in the UK. The picture before the update was stunning and the best I have ever experienced on any TV. This update has completely ruined the set for me and I have little confidence that Sony will issue a fix. Totally gutted.

That's EXACTLY the way I feel. The worst part is that Sony won't acknowledge that there is an issue. I urge anyone who has gotten Sony to warranty replace their set to post here and let us know. As far as technology goes, this ranks as the most disappointing purchase of my life. Not very often that you spend this much on a broken product.

TheSonyExperience 04-09-2018 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vivek Vastrad (Post 55996766)
Is your peak luminescence set to high?

It is.

dcbaros 04-09-2018 01:55 PM

Do any of you have eco mode on by any chance?

aaz 04-09-2018 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcbaros (Post 56005342)
Do any of you have eco mode on by any chance?

Never seen this issue, though I haven't watched much lately other than through AppleTV and cable.
I would start by resetting the settings and see if that clears it.

Emersion 04-10-2018 02:01 AM

I also have this issue.

I have only seen it in HDR mode with (semi)static screens so far.
Things like menu screens in Assassins Creed Origins.
It darkens pretty quickly and then when things happen again on screen it lightens up slowly again until it is full brightness again.

This was after the Dolby Vision firmware update, it worked perfectly before.

constantinos46 04-10-2018 04:02 AM

Same issue here. Initially, I thought it was only on game mode, however it can be reproduced in graphics mode as well. Any solution yet?

jamiee 04-10-2018 09:16 AM

Thought I'd jump in as I am seeing something kind of similar, only I'm seeing it with my LG E7 OLED and so far only with one Netflix show: A Series of Unfortunate Events SE02 in Dolby Vision. What's truly odd is that my screen only dims during lengthy dark scenes or if I pause the show during a dark scene - which there are plenty of during this show. I'm on episode 6 now and this "screen dimming" has happened with each episode so far The screen will return to regular brightness once a brighter scene is displayed (usually takes a second or two but the display will become instantly brighter).

I can honestly say I've never seen this behavior before and something tells me it might have to do with the latest DV fix. My E7 is on the latest firmware for Korea/North America (.40.76)

Anyway.... I know this is a Sony thread, just thought it to be interesting.....

jk82 04-10-2018 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamiee (Post 56010056)
Thought I'd jump in as I am seeing something kind of similar, only I'm seeing it with my LG E7 OLED....

It's ASBL (automatic static brightness limiter) and LG Oleds have had it since at least 2016. It can be turned off in the service menu.
But from all the complaints it seems sonys version is more aggressive I guess?

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...g-oled-tv.html

jamiee 04-10-2018 11:52 AM

Pretty sure what I'm seeing isn't ASBL, which should kick-in during a prolonged bright scene. What I'm actually seeing is the display dimming during a dark scene(s).
As far as ASBL goes, I've hardly ever witnessed it on my TV (nearly a year old now - just over 1600hrs on it). I don't typically run super bright OLED light settings so ASBL rarely needs to kick-in.

jk82 04-10-2018 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamiee (Post 56011156)
What I'm actually seeing is the display dimming during a dark scene(s).

But that is exactly the same issue as with LG's ASBL. On my C6 I had it turned off in the service menu because it would often trigger during dark looking low contrast scenes.
Not sure why you would think it's supposed to trigger during bright scenes, that would be ABL not ASBL.

jamiee 04-10-2018 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jk82 (Post 56011854)
But that is exactly the same issue as with LG's ASBL. On my C6 I had it turned off in the service menu because it would often trigger during dark looking low contrast scenes.
Not sure why you would think it's supposed to trigger during bright scenes, that would be ABL not ASBL.

My bad, I was thinking of ABL... D'oh!

Anyway, still strange that this is the first time I've ever noticed it on my TV. I've watched plenty of dark (low contrast) shows / movies and never once have seen ASBL kick-in, even the first season of A Series of Unfortunate Events didn't seem to trigger it.

statealum 04-10-2018 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jk82 (Post 56010228)
It's ASBL (automatic static brightness limiter) and LG Oleds have had it since at least 2016. It can be turned off in the service menu.
But from all the complaints it seems sonys version is more aggressive I guess?

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ole...g-oled-tv.html

Yes you are correct it's more aggressive. I currently own the 2015 LG EF9500 OLED which is more limited by ASBL than the 2016 OLED models and the abl on the 2015 model pails in comparison to the dimming I am seeing on my Sony A1E.

Nickff 04-10-2018 05:17 PM

To all who are reading this thread and don't have an A1E or have one and do not experience this issue:

This is not a feature of the set. This issue was not present prior to the DV firmware update. The dimming does not kick in just on static images. I play Witcher 3 (Xbox One X, HDR) for a few hours each night and it occurs over and over again while the game is actively being played.