2018 Sony A8F Owners Only Thread - Page 67 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1609Likes

post #1981 of 2374 Old 04-07-2019, 02:38 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajinni View Post
Hey guys, relatively new a8f owner here. I saw there is a dedicated thread on banding but I thought I would ask folks who actually have this tv. I really have not noticed too much banding outside of HDR content and I started watching Hanna last night which seemed to be the most visible and was driving me nuts. In the opening sequence by the fence and incinerator, I could not tell if I was looking through the fence or if it was the panel at times with the panning. There were plenty of other scenes where it was equally as visible. I took a pic of a 5% gray slide to show the right side. I ran the other Youtube test and I can see the banding up to around 25% or so on the right side. It certainly does not look as bad as what I see in the other thread but I am not sure the norm for toleration is. I have a few days in a return period, would you guys live with this, return it, run a panel refresh, etc? Thanks in advance!
@ dajinni IMO If this bothers you and also have the possibility to return it I ll say go for it.

This is the thing about OLEDs, you have to play the lottery, I did it 2 times. I see no uniformity or banding on my A8 watching normal content.

You clearly have problems and if that translates into normal content, then yeah go exchange it right away, and do it till you get a good TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 2374 Old 04-07-2019, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hi all,
Just wondering if I can do the firmware v6.5830 USB update on my TV (Australia based)
I noticed you can download both for US and Europe but no asia pacific link as of yet.
Is it ok to load either of these on my TV?
Cheers

Firmware update to v6.5830 for US, Canada, and Latin America (Puerto Rico, Mexico, Chile, and Peru)

Firmware update to v6.5830 UK

Firmware update to v6.5629 for Asia Pacific
post #1983 of 2374 Old 04-08-2019, 06:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7307 Post(s)
Liked: 7336
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristian Pavel View Post
@Cleveland Plasma

When I bought the B8 I compared it to the C8 and there were some very slight advantages to the C8 but I went for the B8 mostly because of the stand.
Now with the A8 there are some notable differences. I watched some 1080 and 720 content and Sony cleans up the image in a spectacular mode, it's silly to compare to LG.

The processing is way better, and again the motion is much better, even w/o interpolation. HDR is also better, seems more refined. I am pleased just with max brightness and peak to medium.
Dolby Vision and the OS are the only downsides. Where I am not sure as to why my DV is as it is, the OS will be that bad forever.

So put aside the DV, in my opinion and after hours of comparing TVs Sony has the best image, HDR and 4k may be somewhat close, but the as of the rest Sony is a clear winner in terms of PQ.
Most guys who buy the Sony over the LG's love them Many LG guys can not justify the price difference, but many can.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1984 of 2374 Old 04-08-2019, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Most guys who buy the Sony over the LG's love them Many LG guys can not justify the price difference, but many can.....
I would never buy lg again ,the motion vs my current Sony a8f , is the number 1 reason .
anwsmh likes this.

greatone99
post #1985 of 2374 Old 04-08-2019, 03:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by mraussieav View Post
Hi all,
Just wondering if I can do the firmware v6.5830 USB update on my TV (Australia based)
I noticed you can download both for US and Europe but no asia pacific link as of yet.
Is it ok to load either of these on my TV?
Cheers

Firmware update to v6.5830 for US, Canada, and Latin America (Puerto Rico, Mexico, Chile, and Peru)

Firmware update to v6.5830 UK

Firmware update to v6.5629 for Asia Pacific
I wouldn't do it as those regions have specific content. Just wait for the Australian release, they've held it back as they're working on the ARC issue which has been discovered in the US & Europe.
Peter_P likes this.

Theatre - Sony 65" A8F OLED, Pioneer SC-LX59 9.2 Receiver, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-Ray Player, JBL Studio 180 Speaker Series, ELAC Debut A4 Atmos Modules setup as 5.1.4, Sony PS4 Pro, Logitech Harmony Elite.
post #1986 of 2374 Old 04-09-2019, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristian Pavel View Post
@ dajinni IMO If this bothers you and also have the possibility to return it I ll say go for it.

This is the thing about OLEDs, you have to play the lottery, I did it 2 times. I see no uniformity or banding on my A8 watching normal content.

You clearly have problems and if that translates into normal content, then yeah go exchange it right away, and do it till you get a good TV.
Thanks for the feedback, looking to pack it up tomorrow and try my luck.
post #1987 of 2374 Old 04-11-2019, 01:36 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
New a8f/Oled owner, upgraded from an IPS based X850D

Has anyone had issues with the High Clearness setting? When activated the BFI is extremely obvious and quite jarring to me, which is odd since the waving my hand across the screen presents no flickering. I've not no issues with LCD BFI before, is there a chance something faulty is at play or are my eyes just weird?
post #1988 of 2374 Old 04-11-2019, 06:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3928 Post(s)
Liked: 3950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Gould View Post
New a8f/Oled owner, upgraded from an IPS based X850D

Has anyone had issues with the High Clearness setting? When activated the BFI is extremely obvious and quite jarring to me, which is odd since the waving my hand across the screen presents no flickering. I've not no issues with LCD BFI before, is there a chance something faulty is at play or are my eyes just weird?

The bfi is not good on OLEDs at least the 2018 models . I wouldn’t recommend using it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
post #1989 of 2374 Old 04-18-2019, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A8F panel refresh issue

I've got an issue with my nearly 1 year old XBR65A8F never completing the panel refresh. At first the prompt for refresh came on automatically, so I told it to proceed and left it in standby for hours. I have since tried numerous times to do the refresh, both at the standby prompt and manually through the menus, but it never seems to complete. I was in contact with Sony, updated to the latest firmware (6.5830), have done multiple factory resets and forced factory resets, done complete power-cycles, and tried the refresh without any hdmi or network cables plugged in, all without success.

Sony is offering me a replacement, but it will be a refurbished A8F, not a new one, albeit with a 2-year warranty. The other option they offered, after I asked, was an upgrade to a new 65A9F for the about current retail price difference between a A8F and A9F . I'm not sure that's worth it to me. (I know SRAM1337 had a similar issue and apparently received a new A8F replacement, though I can't confirm that.)

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with Sony refurbished equipment. It seems like a crap-shoot and I'm hesitant to inherit someone else's problems. The extended warranty is nice, but it is still a hassle to deal with problems and with Sony support. I've read some comparisons between the A8F and A9F, and I'm not not convinced the upgrades are worth the significant up-charge to me. Seeking advice.
post #1990 of 2374 Old 04-19-2019, 12:05 PM

Hi guys, any opinion about this? It's about after 90-100 hours of use

https://imgur.com/a/HPW2Gjk
post #1991 of 2374 Old 04-19-2019, 12:22 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebe View Post
I've got an issue with my nearly 1 year old XBR65A8F never completing the panel refresh. At first the prompt for refresh came on automatically, so I told it to proceed and left it in standby for hours. I have since tried numerous times to do the refresh, both at the standby prompt and manually through the menus, but it never seems to complete. I was in contact with Sony, updated to the latest firmware (6.5830), have done multiple factory resets and forced factory resets, done complete power-cycles, and tried the refresh without any hdmi or network cables plugged in, all without success.

Sony is offering me a replacement, but it will be a refurbished A8F, not a new one, albeit with a 2-year warranty. The other option they offered, after I asked, was an upgrade to a new 65A9F for the about current retail price difference between a A8F and A9F . I'm not sure that's worth it to me. (I know SRAM1337 had a similar issue and apparently received a new A8F replacement, though I can't confirm that.)

I'm wondering if anyone has experience with Sony refurbished equipment. It seems like a crap-shoot and I'm hesitant to inherit someone else's problems. The extended warranty is nice, but it is still a hassle to deal with problems and with Sony support. I've read some comparisons between the A8F and A9F, and I'm not not convinced the upgrades are worth the significant up-charge to me. Seeking advice.
Hundred percent there is a noticeable difference between the A8F and A9F, if you can afford to pay the retail difference to uprade to A9F, i would say do it. If you get the a9f and start watching content on it, you would find the upgrade was worth it.
Instead, if you plan on getting a refurb a8f, im not aware how good oled refurbs are, but since this is sony offering it and with a warranty, you could take a chance.
davebe likes this.
post #1992 of 2374 Old 04-20-2019, 12:06 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

The A9F has a considerably better processor and dynamic tone mapping is very good from what I heard. Almost like it would play HDR10 content as if it was DV.
The A9F series can also be used as a center speaker.

Last edited by ion.jorj; 04-20-2019 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Read A9F but thought of A8G.
post #1993 of 2374 Old 04-21-2019, 11:50 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
When I first purchased my A8F there was a post with some proven Settings From calibrations that were recommended. I lost the sheets and cannot seem to find that post again. Anyone can Help?

Sony 65A8F
Marantz SR7011 Onkyo M5010 Dolby Atmos
Klipsch reference 11.2 with Dual Klipsch 12” Subs
Apple TV, Arnu Mach 10, Cox Contour
Jake608
post #1994 of 2374 Old 04-22-2019, 11:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
I've got an issue with my nearly 1 year old XBR65A8F never completing the panel refresh.
I thought the refresh happened automatically every so many hours? And after the TV was powered off.

I've never gotten a prompt but I've probably only got a couple of hundred hours on my A8F.
post #1995 of 2374 Old 04-22-2019, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarini View Post
Hundred percent there is a noticeable difference between the A8F and A9F, if you can afford to pay the retail difference to uprade to A9F, i would say do it. If you get the a9f and start watching content on it, you would find the upgrade was worth it.
Instead, if you plan on getting a refurb a8f, im not aware how good oled refurbs are, but since this is sony offering it and with a warranty, you could take a chance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion.jorj View Post
The A9F has a considerably better processor and dynamic tone mapping is very good from what I heard. Almost like it would play HDR10 content as if it was DV.
The A9F series can also be used as a center speaker.

Interesting. When I was shopping for an OLED (ended up with an A8F), most of the comments I read indicated that the A9F was *slightly* better but not drastically so. Even D-Nice indicated that he was happy with the A9F but not blown away by it compared to the other OLEDs he had and that the overall performance was similar when calibrated. At the time, I believe he owned (and was using):

(4) A1E's
(1) A8F
(1) C8
(1) A9F
post #1996 of 2374 Old 04-22-2019, 11:24 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6140
I think it does the short one after so many hours of on time, and after it has been off a little bit. The long one is every 2000 hours IIRC.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
Panasonic UB820 / ATV4K
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / RP-500SA / FV15HP (5.1.2)
post #1997 of 2374 Old 04-22-2019, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake608 View Post
When I first purchased my A8F there was a post with some proven Settings From calibrations that were recommended. I lost the sheets and cannot seem to find that post again. Anyone can Help?

Here's the link to D-Nice's settings (one of the most respected calibrators in the industry):

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post56445064

Some tweaks to his settings that I've made include:

• Gamma of "0" for SDR, "1" for HDR and "2" for Dolby Vision. When gamma is 1 point higher for DV vs. HDR, this yields a nearly identical result. Verified by toggling between the same content (Ozark on Netflix = DV) simultaneously being played on 2 devices - one which only supports HDR (Roku) and one which supports DV (Apple TV). DV gamma needs to be 1 point higher than HDR to make the picture match. Note that D-Nice also recommends the 1-step gamma increase from SDR to HDR to DV. He just starts with -1 for SDR and increases from there. I prefer to start with 0 for SDR.
  • As a result of the gamma setting above, I do not use Advanced Contrast Enhancer (ACE) with DV. I feel that bumping the DV gamma setting up to "2" is a better solution and yields a better picture to my eyes vs. using ACE. ACE seems a bit *too* contrasty at times on some content.
  • Smooth gradation = 'Off' on DV (but on "Low" for SDR & HDR). Several people have commented that there is a bug in DV mode where smooth gradation introduces artifacts - even on the low setting. I have no idea if this bug still exists and I've not tried to replicate it, but I have smooth gradation set to 'off' in DV mode for the time being as a result. If anyone reads this and would like to comment - it would be much appreciated!
  • Reality Creation on 'manual' with a resolution of '20'
  • Motionflow set to "Custom" with a smoothness of "1", clearness of 'low' and cinemotion on 'low'. D-Nice generally recommends 'True Cinema' instead but the custom/1/low/low are alternate settings he mentioned in another post where he said:

"The Custom settings are very similar to True Cinema but adds a tad more smoothness, without artifacts, to some pans compared to True Cinema. I use these for those who cannot accept pure 24p film judder."
mc_avs and Peter_P like this.

Last edited by jkozlow3; 04-26-2019 at 04:42 PM.
post #1998 of 2374 Old 04-22-2019, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post
Here's the link to D-Nice's settings (one of the most respected calibrators in the industry):

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post56445064

Some tweaks to his settings that I've made include:

• Gamma of "0" for SDR, "1" for HDR and "2" for Dolby Vision. When gamma is 1 point higher for DV vs. HDR, this yields a nearly identical result. Verified by watching the same content (Ozark = DV) simultaneously on 2 devices - one which only supports HDR (Roku) and one which supports DV (Apple TV). DV gamma needs to be 1 point higher than HDR to make the picture match.
  • As a result of the gamma setting above, I do not use Advanced Contrast Enhancer (ACE) with DV. I feel that bumping the gamma setting up by 1 point is a better solution and yields a better picture to my eyes vs. using ACE.
  • Smooth gradation = 'Off' on DV (but on "Low" for SDR & HDR). Several people have commented that there is a bug in DV mode where smooth gradation introduces artifacts - even on the low setting. I have no idea if this bug still exists and I've not tried to replicate it, but I have smooth gradation set to 'off' in DV mode for the time being as a result. If anyone reads this and would like to comment - it would be much appreciated!
  • Reality Creation on 'manual' with a resolution of '20'
  • Motionflow set to "Custom" with a smoothness of "1", clearness of 'low' and cinemotion on 'low'. D-Nice generally recommends 'True Cinema' instead but the custom/1/low/low are alternate settings he mentioned in another post where he said:

"The Custom settings are very similar to True Cinema but adds a tad more smoothness, without artifacts, to some pans compared to True Cinema. I use these for those who cannot accept pure 24p film judder."
Thanks! I will use them and then tweak myself and send you a reply!
jkozlow3 likes this.

Sony 65A8F
Marantz SR7011 Onkyo M5010 Dolby Atmos
Klipsch reference 11.2 with Dual Klipsch 12” Subs
Apple TV, Arnu Mach 10, Cox Contour
Jake608
post #1999 of 2374 Old 04-23-2019, 03:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 334 Post(s)
Liked: 207
post #2000 of 2374 Old 04-23-2019, 03:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post
Hopefully this is the ARC fix & Australia can finally get the OREO roll out!

Theatre - Sony 65" A8F OLED, Pioneer SC-LX59 9.2 Receiver, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-Ray Player, JBL Studio 180 Speaker Series, ELAC Debut A4 Atmos Modules setup as 5.1.4, Sony PS4 Pro, Logitech Harmony Elite.
post #2001 of 2374 Old 04-24-2019, 06:23 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, finally I got my pre-ordered 55af8 yesterday and I have already mounted it on the wall. I'm really newbie in Sony OLED tv and I want to ask you about some basics.
My question is regarding correct picture zoom (format) to avoid black bars on top/bottom and left/right.
If I understood correctly this function is available only with external source connected via HDMI (am I correct?). Just browsing YouTube I played some "old style" movie that shows both bar types, but there were no display settings found that are able to correct this.
What should I do in this case. Is it exception and might be accepted?
Thanks.

Last edited by leoao; 04-24-2019 at 06:30 AM.
post #2002 of 2374 Old 04-24-2019, 08:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1551 Post(s)
Liked: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_avs View Post
Hopefully this is the ARC fix & Australia can finally get the OREO roll out!
It certainly claims to be the ARC fix. I will keep an eye on mine now to see if it ever has ARC fail again.
mc_avs likes this.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #2003 of 2374 Old 04-24-2019, 10:59 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post
My Avr is setup using the digital optical cable. After the update I experienced a lip sync issue and changes to the audio sound (increase in bass). Both of the issues, I was able to correct in the AVR settings.

Call me crazy, but I think there might be a little more pop to the picture after update.

Last edited by dave4192000; 04-24-2019 at 12:01 PM.
post #2004 of 2374 Old 04-24-2019, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave4192000 View Post
My Avr is setup using the digital optical cable. After the update I experienced a lip sync issue and changes to the audio sound (increase in bass). Both of the issues, I was able to correct in the AVR settings.

Call me crazy, but I think there might be a little more pop to the picture after update.
the firmware repaired my sound problems! My tv is now sending sound to my receiver!

post #2005 of 2374 Old 04-25-2019, 03:49 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Is it in US the update is released?
Have not seen it yet in Sweden
post #2006 of 2374 Old 04-25-2019, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekke201 View Post
Is it in US the update is released?
Have not seen it yet in Sweden
Yes, firmware release date 4/23/19
post #2007 of 2374 Old 04-25-2019, 01:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Finally an ARC fix.

Does the new 6.5850 firmware fix the following as well? Someone please check it out.

"YouTube HDR content is now automatically detected and displayed in HDR format"

Im based in Denmark - EU, so can't check it myself.

SONY KD55AF8 OLED TV
i1 Display Pro + CalMAN
YAMAHA RX-A2050 9.2 DOLBY ATMOS/DTS:X
DALI MENTOR
NVIDIA Shield Pro
post #2008 of 2374 Old 04-25-2019, 01:15 PM

[/quote]the firmware repaired my sound problems! My tv is now sending sound to my receiver!

[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG][/QUOTE]

Did you notice any lip-sync issues using the ARC?
post #2009 of 2374 Old 04-25-2019, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
New firmware fixes no audio arc issue for Bose Soundbar 700, tv was first reset to factory default than updated via usb and reset once again after the update.
post #2010 of 2374 Old 04-26-2019, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evanesco View Post
Finally an ARC fix.

Does the new 6.5850 firmware fix the following as well? Someone please check it out.

"YouTube HDR content is now automatically detected and displayed in HDR format"

Im based in Denmark - EU, so can't check it myself.
The YouTube update was in the previous firmware update.. If you didn't download the older version it should update with this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page