2018 Sony A8F Owners Only Thread - Page 73 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1587Likes

post #2161 of 2280 Old 06-21-2019, 04:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebulozny View Post
Yes, it's pretty sad how they can't handle this update properly. I had the X85G for 2 weeks and the menus and apps were super fast, instant response to remote, move to A8 is like coming back to Pentium II computer today. The response lag is ridiculous but I'll get use to it, nothing can bring me back to LED panels once I've seen these blacks.

But that said, it's only annoying me on Netflix as it's super slow compared to X85G, I don't watch YouTube or any other apps...mostly Blu-Ray movies.
My main thing i'm waiting for is so I can get my Calibrator to Professionally Calibrate it, not getting it done until the OREO update comes out, been waiting 7 months.
It is a quality TV though & besides Sony's slackness for Australians, i'm impressed/happy with the the move to OLED.

Lounge - Sony 65" A8F OLED, Pioneer SC-LX59 9.2 Receiver, Oppo UDP-203 UHD Blu-Ray Player, JBL Studio 180 Speaker Series, ELAC Debut A4 Atmos Modules setup as 5.1.4, Sony PS4 Pro, Logitech Harmony Elite. Bedroom - Samsung UA55C8000 3D LED, Sony PS3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2162 of 2280 Old 06-21-2019, 06:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 94
[QUOTE=brye;58212074]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimon.Zorg View Post

I'm thrilled with my choice, but I will admit, it may not be for everyone (it likely helps that I am a majority night time viewer anyway). Seeing them in person is a must, I think, to making your decision without regrets.
What do you think about DV implementation? LG beats Sony in that region?
post #2163 of 2280 Old 06-22-2019, 07:15 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
[quote=Dimon.Zorg;58213450]
Quote:
Originally Posted by brye View Post

What do you think about DV implementation? LG beats Sony in that region?
The only DV sources I have viewed are Netflix and Vudu on the built-in AndroidTV platform for the Sony, and similarly on WebOS for the LG, so please keep that in mind. I can't comment on connected devices performance. That being said, when the Sony works, I find the two comparable. That's the unfortunate caveat though - the Sony doesn't always work correctly. It's rare, but I've found the Sony to sometimes drop into the DV profile when the content clearly isn't DV, and vice versa. I hadn't noticed this in my brief time with the LG, but my general feeling here (I think everyone agrees) is that LG has polished their WebOS platform better than Sony has their AndroidTV implementation, and it shows sometimes with little bugs like these (yes I'm on Oreo). This is the biggest negative for the Sony, in my opinion, and it's a shame that a question about DV ends up being impacted by their sub-optimal AndroidTV implementation.

Being a nvidia Shield TV device owner, I know that AndroidTV can be a great bug-free experience, and Sony clearly still has work to do here. I would use the Shield exclusively and disable all the integrated "smart" features, but the Shield lacks DV support and (supposedly) will never receive it. My hope is that the rumored 2019 Shield refresh will bring some DV love to the platform.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2164 of 2280 Old 06-22-2019, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Sony clearly still has work to do here.
Yes for shure. I have encountered with android problems when my xf9005 was updated to 8. Shame to Sony
post #2165 of 2280 Old 06-23-2019, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys! New owner here. I am expperiencing issue streaming through prime video internal appp. I couldn’t play some movies (problem occured, we’re unable to play your video at this moment), but some movies worked. However, when i stream through apple tv, i am able to play all the movies.
I have reached out to prime videos support 3 times but the issue still persists. I also have updated my TV firmware to the latest update (6529 in my region), including few times of deregistering device, but still not woking.

Any advice would be much appreciated!
post #2166 of 2280 Old 06-25-2019, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6499 Post(s)
Liked: 6480
Quote:
Originally Posted by vabluefish View Post
Doing an update. I think it was OTA. I might have not been patient enough and hit the power button when I thought it was done.
They walked me through a procedure, but didn't work. Sony ended up swapping it out. (This was about six years ago.)
Many thing can cause this. Sometimes the update just bricks the set. Samsung released a bad update years ago, bricked like 25 members TV's.....
post #2167 of 2280 Old 06-25-2019, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 8
OTA updates are scary, especially if Tv is connected via WiFi. I would highly recommend having the TV wired to router or doing the update via USB.
post #2168 of 2280 Old 06-26-2019, 04:43 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
OTA updates are scary, especially if Tv is connected via WiFi. I would highly recommend having the TV wired to router or doing the update via USB.
No it's not...the TV downloads the whole update FIRST before installing it from internal memory.

OT: Update is still not being pushed in the EU
lsorensen likes this.

Sony 65AF8
Sony UBP-X800
Marantz SR7005, Tannoy Revolution speakers (RC,R2,R3)
Marantz UD5005
post #2169 of 2280 Old 06-26-2019, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX900 View Post
No it's not...the TV downloads the whole update FIRST before installing it from internal memory.

OT: Update is still not being pushed in the EU

So TV verifies integrity of the downloaded file first? I had issues with OTA on Panasonic years ago and it's just precaution I use always, never update anything over WiFi.
post #2170 of 2280 Old 06-26-2019, 06:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
So TV verifies integrity of the downloaded file first? I had issues with OTA on Panasonic years ago and it's just precaution I use always, never update anything over WiFi.
I believe most products these days verify the file before applying the update, yes. Every product goes through a "downloading" phase before it attempts to install the update and it doesn't attempt to install the update until the download is complete. Windows, iOS, etc.

I think the bigger issue is a possible power outage when the update is installing. An internet connection is an internet connection. Yes, WiFi *can* disconnect a bit easier vs. ethernet, but even a download via a hardwired connection can fail if your modem/router goes down in the middle of the download. I can't imagine the TV (or any other device for that matter) attempting to install a half-downloaded update. That would be REALLY crappy programming on the manufacturer's part!
lsorensen likes this.
post #2171 of 2280 Old 06-27-2019, 09:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 79
Just became an owner as of yesterday with the 65" model. Dialed in settings a bit and it's looking really good.Nice step up from my 50" 500m Kuro, especially with HDR.

I'm looking at HDR10 on 4k blu ray thinking this looks amazing, wondering how it could get much better, but still figuring out activating Dolby Vision. Seems like my firmware is up to date, but not seeing it as an option.
gadgtfreek likes this.

"If you weren't such an ignorant troll, you'd be adorable" -rogo
post #2172 of 2280 Old 06-27-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarceau View Post
Just became an owner as of yesterday with the 65" model. Dialed in settings a bit and it's looking really good.Nice step up from my 50" 500m Kuro, especially with HDR.

I'm looking at HDR10 on 4k blu ray thinking this looks amazing, wondering how it could get much better, but still figuring out activating Dolby Vision. Seems like my firmware is up to date, but not seeing it as an option.

I don't know if you can actually turn on DV...on my Tv the DV logo comes on automatically if it detects it from the player. I had to turn it on the bluray player though.

Just watched The Martian last night...wow, even my wife (who is the last person on Earth to care about image quality) was telling me how amazing it looks. Finally...watching space movie with true blacks!
post #2173 of 2280 Old 06-28-2019, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I don't know if you can actually turn on DV...on my Tv the DV logo comes on automatically if it detects it from the player. I had to turn it on the bluray player though.

Just watched The Martian last night...wow, even my wife (who is the last person on Earth to care about image quality) was telling me how amazing it looks. Finally...watching space movie with true blacks!
Finally figured it out, downloaded the update for DV on my blu ray player and I'm good. Seeing the DV logo and man does that make the picture look good. That's probably the most noticeable upgrade from HD.

Looks like Dolby Vision works for regular blu rays, too. Honestly it's kind of hard to tell the difference with upscaled blu ray content and ultra hd.

post #2174 of 2280 Old 06-29-2019, 08:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 993 Post(s)
Liked: 385
How can one tell on the Sony what the HDMI signal it's getting is? You know, 4K or 1080P, frame rate, etc?

The Display button shows some things but I'm curious about the framerate.
post #2175 of 2280 Old 06-30-2019, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 5980
For some reason they only want to show you 1080p/24 on display, nothing much else.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F
ATV4K / Roku Ultra / Uverse
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
post #2176 of 2280 Old 07-02-2019, 01:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Is there a way to turn off HDR10 when playing 4k blu ray? I like how HLG looks with my 1080p blu rays and Dolby Vision looks great when it's on, but for everything else, I keep having to raise the gamma to make a lot of the HDR10 stuff not look crushed, so was hoping there's a way to just turn this off entirely and keep the wider color space.

post #2177 of 2280 Old 07-02-2019, 06:24 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Is there a way to turn off HDR10 when playing 4k blu ray? I like how HLG looks with my 1080p blu rays and Dolby Vision looks great when it's on, but for everything else, I keep having to raise the gamma to make a lot of the HDR10 stuff not look crushed, so was hoping there's a way to just turn this off entirely and keep the wider color space.
You have to turn off HDR at the source, the Blu-ray player. Most Blu-ray players will also change back to SDR color space. To do what you want, you need a Panasonic 820 or 9000 player. Maybe an Oppo or the $1000 Pioneer would work also. In the Panasonic set up you can set it to put out SDR using rec 2020 color space, even for discs encoded in HDR or DV. Some projector owners use this mode. Then set the A8F to HLG mode in the setup menu if you want (for a “fake” HLG).

But if you do get a Pana 820, there is no need to do this since this player has many adjustments that I find raise the brightness of HDR quite nicely without losing black levels. The 820 is expensive, but worth it in my opinion especially for A8F owners who watch HDR Blu-ray or Netflix.

Edit.
After further thought, you can try doing doing what you want on the A8F. Set HDR mode to HLG, and Color space to BT.2020. I have not tried it, so give it a try.

Sony XBR-65A8F
Denon X1400, ATV 4K, HTPC
Roku Premiere+, Panasonic UB820, Sony x700

Last edited by BreakPoint; 07-02-2019 at 06:59 PM.
post #2178 of 2280 Old 07-02-2019, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am having issues with Dolby Vision dimming over HDMI. I have an A8F running v6.5629. Dolby Vision over HDMI dims to the lowest Peak Luminance level no matter what setting it is on. To prove it, if I set my Peak Luminance to “OFF” and then while watching a bright image switch it to “HIGH” the image will become bright for 1-2 seconds and then dim to the same level as the “OFF” setting. This does NOT happen when Dolby Vision is played natively or when SDR or HDR are played over HDMI. It only occurs running Dolby Vision over HDMI. So I am stuck with a very dim image whenever I play HDMI material on my Apple TV.

I have tried to update the firmware but it saying that I am running the most current version, which I clearly am not. This is an entirely different issue that needs to be addressed.
post #2179 of 2280 Old 07-03-2019, 06:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 5
dimming

mine does not dim to the point where I notice it at all when I am on High Luminance. I think a recent update fixed that. My problems are with motion, especially when viewing live streams. When I watch Blu ray and 4k I leave the Motion control Off. Whe i watch network TV I have the motion either set to custom Smoothness 3 or standard.
post #2180 of 2280 Old 07-05-2019, 04:41 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom17 View Post
I am having issues with Dolby Vision dimming over HDMI. I have an A8F running v6.5629. Dolby Vision over HDMI dims to the lowest Peak Luminance level no matter what setting it is on. To prove it, if I set my Peak Luminance to “OFF” and then while watching a bright image switch it to “HIGH” the image will become bright for 1-2 seconds and then dim to the same level as the “OFF” setting. This does NOT happen when Dolby Vision is played natively or when SDR or HDR are played over HDMI. It only occurs running Dolby Vision over HDMI. So I am stuck with a very dim image whenever I play HDMI material on my Apple TV.

I have tried to update the firmware but it saying that I am running the most current version, which I clearly am not. This is an entirely different issue that needs to be addressed.
I have the exactly same problem with my 3 month old AF8 when watching DV content from Apple TV 4 K.
TV Software version v6.5631 but have read about another person with same problem and is on version v6.6510

Found a small video that also shows the issue.

Have contacted Sony support that claims it must be a Apple TV 4K issue.
post #2181 of 2280 Old 07-05-2019, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have a question:
Has anyone had problems casting from your samsung galaxy s9? It has started to refuse to connect. Anything with regards to sound? Like I get 0 sound when I cast from my phone.
post #2182 of 2280 Old 07-05-2019, 07:05 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by srfreak View Post
I have the exactly same problem with my 3 month old AF8 when watching DV content from Apple TV 4 K.
TV Software version v6.5631 but have read about another person with same problem and is on version v6.6510

Just a thought. Make sure the Light Sensor is off. It is grayed out in DV mode, so make sure it is off in non-DV mode for the same HDMI input being used for the DV.

Sony XBR-65A8F
Denon X1400, ATV 4K, HTPC
Roku Premiere+, Panasonic UB820, Sony x700
post #2183 of 2280 Old 07-05-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:

Found a small video that also shows the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aoT4D_t8oo

Do you think it could be a hardware issue? We seem to be the only people that have reported having this problem on the forum.
post #2184 of 2280 Old 07-05-2019, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakPoint View Post
Just a thought. Make sure the Light Sensor is off. It is grayed out in DV mode, so make sure it is off in non-DV mode for the same HDMI input being used for the DV.
Yes, sure , light sensor allways OFF.
Have also tried experimenting with other settings.

But , does that mean that you dont have this issue (very dark picture) with DV on af8 from Apple tv,. Have you done the same test shown in the video, changing the ‘peak luminance’ when watching DV content from Apple tv ?
post #2185 of 2280 Old 07-06-2019, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Yes, sure , light sensor allways OFF.
Have also tried experimenting with other settings.

But , does that mean that you dont have this issue (very dark picture) with DV on af8 from Apple tv,. Have you done the same test shown in the video, changing the ‘peak luminance’ when watching DV content from Apple tv ?
Another owner of an AF8 here. Same issue. But it's basically for any HDMI input source with DV. Not just Apple TV. I can replicate it on my Xbox too (it supports DV). You can easily see the difference in luminescence using the netflix app. Altered Carbon is a good example for this. This show will look brighter in the TV app and dimmer in the apple TV and xbox apps. All using the same DV settings. I has been that way since I bought the TV (came with Nougat) so it's not a recent update thing for me.

Last edited by JoZerByte; 07-06-2019 at 08:41 AM.
post #2186 of 2280 Old 07-07-2019, 12:05 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hi guys!

I'm a new owner of the AF8 and have a question about the "cold" startup behaviour of the AF8.
Is it normal that when you startup the TV after like a night 12h+ powered off that the TV does "sort of" two restarts?

Let me explain.
I have updated the TV to Oreo 8.0
When I start the TV the first time of the day it always first shows a Android logo boot screen, then after a couple of seconds it restarts(click noise) and then shows a logo of Sony following by the Android animation before the TV is fully started, which all takes about a minute.
I read about that there has been an issue with contineously rebooting after updating to Oreo so I just wanted to check with u guys if the startup behaviour above is normal.

I think its just two types of standby states on the TV since I can always restart the set without this load time once i've done it the first time of the day, but I just want to be sure.

Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TV: Sony Bravia KD-65AF8
Projector: Panasonic PT-AX100E
AVR: Harman/Kardon AVR-230
Speakers: KEF KHT 2005 (The Egg)
post #2187 of 2280 Old 07-08-2019, 10:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

After more time with this set, it's still been great. The only drawback is HDR. HLG work nice on SDR content or just turning this off makes streaming content look great, but Dolby Vision on Netflix is sort of a mixed bag.

Watched Stranger Things last night and found a lot of the content to look just too dark. Not sure if it's hiding shadow detail, but at least with HLG, while subtler, it seems like the top end is altered and nothing really darkens too much to crush any black detail.

Blu Ray in HDR10 just seems too dark, so I still end up raising the gamma to compensate.

Overall, really a great set and in a lot of ways better than my Kuro, but seems that HDR is still a work in progress.

post #2188 of 2280 Old 07-08-2019, 01:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
After more time with this set, it's still been great. The only drawback is HDR. HLG work nice on SDR content or just turning this off makes streaming content look great, but Dolby Vision on Netflix is sort of a mixed bag.

Watched Stranger Things last night and found a lot of the content to look just too dark. Not sure if it's hiding shadow detail, but at least with HLG, while subtler, it seems like the top end is altered and nothing really darkens too much to crush any black detail.

Blu Ray in HDR10 just seems too dark, so I still end up raising the gamma to compensate.

Overall, really a great set and in a lot of ways better than my Kuro, but seems that HDR is still a work in progress.
Well only 4k UHD blu ray has HDR, while 1080p blu ray is never HDR and any attempt to force a player to treat it as if it was will look wrong.

Unfortunately some idiotic players (ie certain Sony models like the X700 and X1100) require you to manually turn DV mode on and off (if you leave it on, everything will be sent to the TV as DV which will look wrong), which is a hassle given many UHD discs aren't even labeled that they have DV support.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #2189 of 2280 Old 07-09-2019, 08:01 PM

Liked: 5
I just noticed that the specification of A8F in Sony's official website that this OLED TV has no DV processing. I believed it was one of the selling point when I bought it last year. Does it mean the DV processing on A8F is not real from the beginning and therefor many DV issues experienced by the users.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	擷取.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	2589308  
post #2190 of 2280 Old 07-10-2019, 02:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 26
That is because DV was added with an update ^; website is OLD.

I believe the implementation of DV to be correct on Apple TV on the A8F. Each frame has an intended luminance which is contained in the metadata.

If I put the TV in Low, Medium, High or OFF - I get identical brightness of the scene on my meter. This is both in the user menus and watching video.

The TV is displaying the brightness intended by the metadata regardless of user interference. If you need to change gamma etc.. because you are not in a dark room then that is OK.

If you are watching anything on DV on the A8F in a Dark Room it is perfect - mean luminance levels around 150-200 with peaks up around normal OLED maximums 650-750 (very bright at pixel level). Looks perfect to me.

The only way to change this is to use HDR10 with some sort of dynamic tone mapping (UB820 etc..) DV is intended for the display to present the image as it was intended by the producer; which is exactly what the display is doing.

When I select "OFF" it lifts the brightness (100->150), when I select "LOW" it barely changes (avg scene level 150-200ish), when I select MID it dims slightly back down (220 -> 150) when I select high it drops (300 -> 150). If I find a high APL scene, it boost the brightness of OFF, LOW up to MID levels. I think this is correct behaviour to display the content as intended.

Last edited by Tommo53; 07-10-2019 at 02:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page