2018 Sony A8F Owners Only Thread - Page 75 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1593Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #2221 of 2300 Old 07-24-2019, 05:07 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
I use the same SDR/HDR settings for tv, streaming and disc.
Ta. I'll give them a try over the next few days and see how I get on.

Last edited by >500; 07-24-2019 at 05:41 AM.
>500 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2222 of 2300 Old 07-24-2019, 07:10 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Holland
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by grx8 View Post
Ok so FINALLY v6.6520 OTA update being available. Lets see if blacks over DV is now fixed, fingers crossed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesslan1 View Post
Yeah oreo fixed the picture much "but" there is something with netflix DV that looks bad on these sonys. DV from disc looks stellar but both tvs netflix app and from appleTV4k some areas of the picture gets real gritty. Latest jessica jones season has it a lot. In one minute it looks amazing and then turn real ugly. But it's not as before Oreo where all black blotches just blinked and wandered around which was BAD. If it was possible just to run HDR10 on netflix to this tv I would do that for netflix but doesn't seem to get just that. There is no off setting for only DV. My guess it's something with lower bitrate and sonys/DVs software profile 7 that does this. Will be very interesting to see if Panasonics new oleds have same problem since they also use same profile now. If they do not it's all sony....
Watched several netflix 4k DV series since I updated my set: Looks great, almost no artifacts.
Read somewhere that Netflix uses grain filters in some series, haven't really noticed it with ST3, Altered Carbon or Nightflyers.

In the END: Yeah, discs are still the way to go...bandwith Netflix 15.x MAX Mbit picture vs 4K discs 60-128 Mbit picture is not a fair comparison though...love me discs
mc_avs likes this.

Sony 65AF8
Sony UBP-X800
Marantz SR7005, Tannoy Revolution speakers (RC,R2,R3)
Marantz UD5005
HX900 is offline  
post #2223 of 2300 Old 07-24-2019, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gmarceau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I'm kind of amazed at how close streaming gets to disc quality. It could be my eyes, but view distance is around 10-11' with my 65" set and it's pretty hard to distinguish from 4k blu ray except in certain low apl scenes.

I have to say that the real upgrade for this set from my Kuro is HDR/Dolby Vision - this totally surprised me, as I expected the whole black level thing to be the real upgrade from my krp 500m. I've been blown away with all the DV 4k titles on Vudu and how stunning different series look on Netflix and Amazon Prime.

"If you weren't such an ignorant troll, you'd be adorable" -rogo
gmarceau is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2224 of 2300 Old 07-24-2019, 08:49 AM
Senior Member
 
BreakPoint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: South Florida
Posts: 356
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by wesslan1 View Post
Yeah oreo fixed the picture much "but" there is something with netflix DV that looks bad on these sonys. DV from disc looks stellar but both tvs netflix app and from appleTV4k some areas of the picture gets real gritty. Latest jessica jones season has it a lot. In one minute it looks amazing and then turn real ugly. But it's not as before Oreo where all black blotches just blinked and wandered around which was BAD. If it was possible just to run HDR10 on netflix to this tv I would do that for netflix but doesn't seem to get just that. There is no off setting for only DV. My guess it's something with lower bitrate and sonys/DVs software profile 7 that does this. Will be very interesting to see if Panasonics new oleds have same problem since they also use same profile now. If they do not it's all sony....
Make sure Smooth Gradation is off in DV because it adds near black artifacts. DV does not require it. However, most people find it is an improvement to keep it on low for SDR and HDR. Refer to pictures I posted in this thread in post No. 1939. This is one case where the Sony default setting of low in DV is not good (medium and high settings are even worse in DV).

Also for new owners who may not know this, the default picture settings are a good place to start. Many of the adjustable settings which consist of a horizontal line with a dot that is moved left or right, have a default indicator consisting of small vertical lines above and below the dot when you are at the default setting.

Sony XBR-65A8F
Denon X1400, ATV 4K, HTPC
Roku Premiere+, Panasonic UB820, Sony x700

Last edited by BreakPoint; 07-24-2019 at 08:52 AM.
BreakPoint is offline  
post #2225 of 2300 Old 07-24-2019, 12:42 PM
Senior Member
 
wesslan1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 366
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakPoint View Post
Make sure Smooth Gradation is off in DV because it adds near black artifacts. DV does not require it. However, most people find it is an improvement to keep it on low for SDR and HDR. Refer to pictures I posted in this thread in post No. 1939. This is one case where the Sony default setting of low in DV is not good (medium and high settings are even worse in DV).

Also for new owners who may not know this, the default picture settings are a good place to start. Many of the adjustable settings which consist of a horizontal line with a dot that is moved left or right, have a default indicator consisting of small vertical lines above and below the dot when you are at the default setting.
Been running off for some time and using D-nice settings since they posted. Still problems, it's sony or netflix in this case, not my settings.
wesslan1 is offline  
post #2226 of 2300 Old 07-24-2019, 04:21 PM
Newbie
 
Ryan1524's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
2018 Sony A8F Owners Only Thread

Just got the Oreo update, and it is SO much better. Noticeably faster. Very happy. I wish we get the mid channel feature.

Been wanting to improve audio, and I’m currently torn between simply adding a sub, or doing a proper 7.1.2. Either a new-ish soundbar, or proper receiver and surrounds.

Any comments from those who simply added a sub? I’m in a small-ish apartment, so a proper 7.1.2 will probably never hit its potential.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Ryan1524 is offline  
post #2227 of 2300 Old 07-24-2019, 08:12 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Not sure where to post this. Bought a A8G and it has really dark dolby vision with the built in netflix app. Is there any way to make it brighter? If I have an Apple TV, would dolby vision be brighter on it or on 4k blurays, or are they all dark?
mark_42 is offline  
post #2228 of 2300 Old 07-24-2019, 08:27 PM
Newbie
 
neo_lam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
finally can see clean and clear BLACKS on Netflix.....Oreo is snappier but still can't really access my picture file from hard disk....I really wish to see pictures on this TV....
neo_lam is offline  
post #2229 of 2300 Old 07-25-2019, 02:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lsorensen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,568
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan1524 View Post
Just got the Oreo update, and it is SO much better. Noticeably faster. Very happy. I wish we get the mid channel feature.

Been wanting to improve audio, and I’m currently torn between simply adding a sub, or doing a proper 7.1.2. Either a new-ish soundbar, or proper receiver and surrounds.

Any comments from those who simply added a sub? I’m in a small-ish apartment, so a proper 7.1.2 will probably never hit its potential.
I am quite happy with a 5.1 system in my living room. 7.1.2 is more trouble than I am willing to deal with at this time. But I sure wouldn't be willing to drop to a soundbar. And the audio of the TV itself is good enough that I don't think most soundbars would be worth the bother. Adding a sub would certainly add to the low end though, and it could always be used for a 5.1 or better setup later.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
lsorensen is offline  
post #2230 of 2300 Old 07-25-2019, 05:12 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 8
So do these sets no display Dolby Vision from external sources? For some reason the dolby vision discs I have are only coming in as HDR ony set. Only dolby vision I can get is from the internal netflix app
mark_42 is offline  
post #2231 of 2300 Old 07-25-2019, 06:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jkozlow3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_42 View Post
So do these sets no display Dolby Vision from external sources? For some reason the dolby vision discs I have are only coming in as HDR ony set. Only dolby vision I can get is from the internal netflix app
They do. DV titles from Netflix are displayed as such from the Apple TV 4k for example.
jkozlow3 is offline  
post #2232 of 2300 Old 07-25-2019, 08:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 8
What do people have for their gamma settings? What do they equate to, for example I assume 0 is 2.2, but what would -1, -2, be for example.



Not sure why my bluray player wont output dolby vision then. Odd.
mark_42 is offline  
post #2233 of 2300 Old 07-25-2019, 08:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jkozlow3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_42 View Post
What do people have for their gamma settings? What do they equate to, for example I assume 0 is 2.2, but what would -1, -2, be for example.



Not sure why my bluray player wont output dolby vision then. Odd.
Personally, I’d recommend the following gamma settings:

0 for SDR (this equates to 2.2)
0 or 1 for HDR
1 or 2 for DV (needs to be 1 point higher than your HDR setting in order to match).

I verified that when DV has a gamma 1 point higher than HDR, that the picture matches when viewing the same material. I used a Roku (does not support DV) and an Apple TV 4K (supports DV) and played the same DV content on both devices simultaneously (Netflix - Ozark). DV gamma needed to be 1 point higher for the picture to match.

I use a gamma of 1 for HDR and 2 for DV personally.

Hope this helps!
Peter_P likes this.

Last edited by jkozlow3; 07-26-2019 at 08:18 AM.
jkozlow3 is offline  
post #2234 of 2300 Old 07-25-2019, 08:24 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 8
What would equate to 2.4 gamma or bt 1886?
mark_42 is offline  
post #2235 of 2300 Old 07-25-2019, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jkozlow3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_42 View Post
What would equate to 2.4 gamma or bt 1886?
-2 is 2.4
jkozlow3 is offline  
post #2236 of 2300 Old 07-26-2019, 12:46 AM
Newbie
 
srfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_42 View Post
Not sure where to post this. Bought a A8G and it has really dark dolby vision with the built in netflix app. Is there any way to make it brighter? If I have an Apple TV, would dolby vision be brighter on it or on 4k blurays, or are they all dark?
Well, I have a Af8 and DV works fine (bright picture) with build in Netflix app. But is Way too dark when watching DV content from external HDMI devices ie Apple TV 4K
Take a look at This.

https://www.reddit.com/r/appletv/com..._on_sony_oled/

There are also lot of DV content on Apple ITunes but it is a shame that Sony has implemented a lousy DV support from HDMI sources.
srfreak is offline  
post #2237 of 2300 Old 07-26-2019, 04:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gadgtfreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bama
Posts: 12,213
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6024
Its why I stopped using the ATV4K. I just use the Sony bluray players for netflix and Amazon.

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
ATV4K (3) / PS Vue
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
gadgtfreek is offline  
post #2238 of 2300 Old 07-26-2019, 04:55 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Holland
Posts: 65
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Its why I stopped using the ATV4K. I just use the Sony bluray players for netflix and Amazon.
Or just use the TV Netflix app, works great too.

Sony 65AF8
Sony UBP-X800
Marantz SR7005, Tannoy Revolution speakers (RC,R2,R3)
Marantz UD5005
HX900 is offline  
post #2239 of 2300 Old 07-26-2019, 05:50 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Any suggestions on how to make the picture less blocky/noisy. Was watching football last night and on any play the movement of the players got all blocky and looked terrible. I thought the motion was supposed to be smooth.
mark_42 is offline  
post #2240 of 2300 Old 07-26-2019, 06:29 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 8
And ant recommended settings? Do most people use the reality creation setting or just leave it off?
mark_42 is offline  
post #2241 of 2300 Old 07-26-2019, 06:30 AM
Newbie
 
Cineoholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Sweden
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_42 View Post
Any suggestions on how to make the picture less blocky/noisy. Was watching football last night and on any play the movement of the players got all blocky and looked terrible. I thought the motion was supposed to be smooth.
Usually this is the case when the signal/stream quality is too low for the content or the size of the screen ur watching.
Sports like fotball usually make it worse since the camera is mostly panning left and right making low bitrate along with non-sufficient content compression a nightmare to watch.

But u can take a look under Picture settings and Clarity and try setting these to High if not already:
Random noise reduction: High
Digital noise reduction: High
Smooth gradation: High

Other than that i dont think there is much you can do as I said, it's usually the quality of the feed that is the issue.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TV: Sony Bravia KD-65AF8
Projector: Panasonic PT-AX100E
AVR: Harman/Kardon AVR-230
Speakers: KEF KHT 2005 (The Egg)
Cineoholic is offline  
post #2242 of 2300 Old 07-26-2019, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lsorensen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,568
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_42 View Post
So do these sets no display Dolby Vision from external sources? For some reason the dolby vision discs I have are only coming in as HDR ony set. Only dolby vision I can get is from the internal netflix app
What player are you using? Does it support DV? Is DV enabled on the player? Does it support DV profile 5 (as far as I recall) which is the player led DV rather than display led DV (which I think is profile 4). Is your player connected direct to the TV or through an AVR or soundbar and if so, does that AVR/soundbar support passing DV?

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
lsorensen is offline  
post #2243 of 2300 Old 07-26-2019, 07:47 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Yes the player supports DV. It worked fine with my LG oled. It is hooked up directly to the tv. Not sure if it is 4 or 5. It is an LG player.
mark_42 is offline  
post #2244 of 2300 Old 07-26-2019, 08:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jkozlow3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by srfreak View Post
Well, I have a Af8 and DV works fine (bright picture) with build in Netflix app. But is Way too dark when watching DV content from external HDMI devices ie Apple TV 4K
Take a look at This.

https://www.reddit.com/r/appletv/com..._on_sony_oled/

There are also lot of DV content on Apple ITunes but it is a shame that Sony has implemented a lousy DV support from HDMI sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
Its why I stopped using the ATV4K. I just use the Sony bluray players for netflix and Amazon.

I haven't tried the built-in Netflix app, but per my comments in my post above, from my (limited) testing, when DV gamma is 1 point higher than HDR, the resulting picture is roughly the same brightness when using DV on the Apple TV 4K.

I hooked up my old Roku (supports HDR but not DV) to compare to my Apple TV 4K (supports DV). I played Ozark on Netflix on both devices. Same episode. Toggled back and forth between inputs on the TV. Used HDMI inputs 2 and 3 which support the enhanced HDMI signal.

When DV gamma via Apple TV 4K was 1 point higher vs. HDR on the Roku, the picture was VERY similar when watching the same scenes on Ozark. I used a gamma setting of "1" for HDR and "2" for DV. If the gamma was NOT raised by 1 point for DV, then yes, DV looked a bit too dark compared to HDR.

Has anyone else done a similar experiment? Can someone do a similar experiment? As I said, my testing has been limited, but I was able to make the DV picture visually match HDR in brightness with a simple 1-point increase in gamma for DV mode. This is with the Apple TV 4K. So I'm a bit confused by the comments suggesting that the ATV4K is making everything too dark. I guess my point is, if a 1-point gamma bump for DV yields the same approximate brightness when watching the same content in HDR-only, then I would conclude that the DV content now looks the way that it "should" after the 1-point bump.

I would love to hear other people's findings if they have the ability to perform similar testing to what I have done.

Even if you look at D-Nice's recommended settings for the A8F (one of the most respected calibrators in the industry in case anyone here is unaware of who I'm referring to), he used a DV gamma value that was one point higher vs. HDR. In his case, he recommended "0" for HDR and "1" for DV. I prefer "1" for HDR and "2" for DV personally - but we have the same one-point "bump" for DV. I'm sure D-Nice used a lot more source equipment/material than I did to come to this conclusion however where as I only have an Apple TV 4K and streaming services such as Netflix for my DV testing (I don't have a DV/HDR blu-ray player and don't really use physical media anymore anyway).

Last edited by jkozlow3; 07-26-2019 at 09:28 AM.
jkozlow3 is offline  
post #2245 of 2300 Old 07-26-2019, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gmarceau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 84
I do that same bump up in gamma for HDR and DV, as well - 1 for HDR, 2 for DV. That looks better to my eyes, but pretty sure I've noticed that if I run Netflix through my blu-ray player, it also comes in darker than if I run it from the TV.

"If you weren't such an ignorant troll, you'd be adorable" -rogo
gmarceau is offline  
post #2246 of 2300 Old 07-26-2019, 08:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jkozlow3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmarceau View Post
I do that same bump up in gamma for HDR and DV, as well - 1 for HDR, 2 for DV. That looks better to my eyes, but pretty sure I've noticed that if I run Netflix through my blu-ray player, it also comes in darker than if I run it from the TV.
Do you have any Netflix devices that don't support DV? I'd be curious to know if your findings are the same as mine when comparing HDR to DV with the 1-point gamma bump for DV. If so, perhaps DV looks the way that it "should" after the 1-point gamma bump? I'm inclined to think that if we can make HDR and DV look nearly identical on the same content with a small gamma bump, then the DV content is now being displayed correctly.

Last edited by jkozlow3; 07-26-2019 at 09:19 AM.
jkozlow3 is offline  
post #2247 of 2300 Old 07-26-2019, 10:23 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am still trying to find the best motionflow/cinemotion settings for use for 4k Apple TV (For Standard, HDR, and DV). I am currently using
Custom (3), Clarity (Low), and Cinemotion (Low) which works for the most part but only when I turn off match frame rate. Could anyone please provide their TV motion settings that work in combination with 4k Apple TV settings?
Starrahboy is offline  
post #2248 of 2300 Old 07-26-2019, 11:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
jkozlow3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starrahboy View Post
I am still trying to find the best motionflow/cinemotion settings for use for 4k Apple TV (For Standard, HDR, and DV). I am currently using
Custom (3), Clarity (Low), and Cinemotion (Low) which works for the most part but only when I turn off match frame rate. Could anyone please provide their TV motion settings that work in combination with 4k Apple TV settings?
What happens when you leave match frame rate 'on' with those settings?

I use an ATV4K exclusively for 100% of my viewing with the A8F (Netflix, Hulu, DirecTV Now, Vudu, etc.).

I use:

Custom
1
Low
Low

I haven't noticed any issues with these settings and it seems "smooth enough" to me. With a custom value of '3', I noticed some artifacts in a movie scene with fast motion and they went away when I reduced the value to '1' and replayed the scene.

What issues are you having? Are there certain scenes from movies where you've noticed issues?
jkozlow3 is offline  
post #2249 of 2300 Old 07-26-2019, 12:28 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 27
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post
What happens when you leave match frame rate 'on' with those settings?

I use an ATV4K exclusively for 100% of my viewing with the A8F (Netflix, Hulu, DirecTV Now, Vudu, etc.).

I use:

Custom
1
Low
Low

I haven't noticed any issues with these settings and it seems "smooth enough" to me. With a custom value of '3', I noticed some artifacts in a movie scene with fast motion and they went away when I reduced the value to '1' and replayed the scene.

What issues are you having? Are there certain scenes from movies where you've noticed issues?

I don't know if it makes a difference in settings but I have an A8G. I would say I'm bothered by everything moving too fast, but it seems like the motion is a little slower when I turn off frame rate match. Do you keep frame rate match on with your settings?

Maybe I'm just picky
Starrahboy is offline  
post #2250 of 2300 Old 07-26-2019, 01:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 8
So how do I know when the set is displaying HDR? When I play an HDR disc, there is a tag in the picture settings but according to Sony, who I just spoke with, it should be much brighter and I should have different pucture options available besides the standard ones. They think HDR is not working properly which is why I cant get Dolby Vision.
mark_42 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off