AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   OLED Technology and Flat Panels General (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/)
-   -   2018 Sony A8F Owners Only Thread (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2974552-2018-sony-a8f-owners-only-thread.html)

chunon 04-30-2018 03:26 PM

2018 Sony A8F Owners Only Thread
 
Let’s try this again , I have the moderators backing on this.

OWNERS ONLY!!

This thread is now exclusively for current owners of the 2018 Sony A8F. If you do not own the set, do not post here. This is NOT the thread for comparisons or help-me-choose questions. For those, find an existing thread or start a new one. The same members will see it.

All owners posting here are advised to put the A8F in their signatures. Posts from non-owners may be removed without warning. Repeated abuses may result in losing access to this thread.

TheSonyExperience 04-30-2018 03:29 PM

Dolby Vision support in a later patch? Dolby Vision support through HDMI on this set?

Thanks for the support here with the new thread.

chunon 04-30-2018 03:32 PM

2018 Sony A8F Owners Only Thread
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSonyExperience (Post 56119054)
Dolby Vision support in a later patch? Dolby Vision support through HDMI on this set?



Thanks for the support here with the new thread.



No one knows the when but it will happen at some point. Hdmi is already supported on the current Sony’s it’s up to device manufacturers to catch up.

BreakPoint 04-30-2018 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSonyExperience (Post 56119054)
Dolby Vision support in a later patch? Dolby Vision support through HDMI on this set?

Thanks for the support here with the new thread.

The Sony web page for the A8F (footnote 5) says Dolby Vision via firmware update by summer of 2018. Of course Sony has broken it’s promises before. I suspect the hold up is that the Dolby Company needs to certify it before it can be released. Once the 2018 Sony 900F gets it’s pending DV update, the A8F should follow in a few weeks (since the 900F was released a few weeks before the A8F).

gadgtfreek 04-30-2018 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 56119512)
The Sony web page for the A8F (footnote 5) says Dolby Vision via firmware update by summer of 2018. Of course Sony has broken it’s promises before. I suspect the hold up is that the Dolby Company needs to certify it before it can be released. Once the 2018 Sony 900F gets it’s pending DV update, the A8F should follow in a few weeks (since the 900F was released a few weeks before the A8F).

The problem with Dolby now for me is, once you have the SW ready, it has to go be certified. Oppo has been working on this since Feb and it still hasn't been released. My guess is, the A8F being a new model, had to get DV FW made for it and then certified by Dolby, which seems to be a cluster screw of gridlock. Dolby has not done a lot to help their own format.

It is asinine that the 203 was certified a year ago, yet to add a new profile it has to go be in for recert. Hopefully the A8F gets its update by late June, when I expect it to be my main display...

chunon 04-30-2018 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 56119512)
The Sony web page for the A8F (footnote 5) says Dolby Vision via firmware update by summer of 2018. Of course Sony has broken it’s promises before. I suspect the hold up is that the Dolby Company needs to certify it before it can be released. Once the 2018 Sony 900F gets it’s pending DV update, the A8F should follow in a few weeks (since the 900F was released a few weeks before the A8F).



Yeah I think that is a good read of the situation, looking forward to it because the dv I have seen is really amazing .

FlaccidWarrior 04-30-2018 06:57 PM

I have been researching as much as possible over the last week and the 65" A8F might be the TV that I go with. I currently have a 49" Samsung KS8000. My primary use is gaming (ps4 pro) followed by movies (about to get a UHD Blu Ray player) as well as Netflix. I will get burn in insurance so I'm not too concerned about that and I've heard the issue is a little overblown anyway. I suppose my only real concern left is will the A8F be too dim while playing HDR games or watching HDR content?

gadgtfreek 04-30-2018 07:06 PM

Dim and OLED HDR is a bit of a confusing thing. Chunon and I had 940E's. Sure its a light cannon, but the black floor is raised too when in HDR mode. The OLED will maintain that zero black regardless, so specular highlights like street likes, vehicle lights, etc... in the dark are pretty dang cool.

I watched Maze Runner Death Cure last weekend on the A1E and the HDR was great. I just dont think dim, there is a ton of pop because of the blacks. Now sure, the highlights at 700 nits are not as bright as 1400 nits or whatever, but the pop an OLED has in SDR and HDR is the real deal. Also, even when in HDR mode and day scenes, you maintain a depth of image due to the contrast ratio an LCD cannot put out.

mrpetrov 04-30-2018 07:20 PM

I've ordered the 65" A8F - I cancelled my A1E order and went for the A8F instead. It arrives on May 4 into our new home in Portland, OR. It will be mounted in a media cabinet with a full swivel Sanus mount. It's replacing a 55" Pioneer Kuro (which I brought with me from the UK).

As a first time OLED owner it would be super handy to have a "new owner ticks & trips" section in the OP. Eg, how long you should run it before running a manual refresh cycle, common starting picture settings, what settings one might consider turning on/off out of the box (eg motion/BFI) based on taste, which hardward to connect to which HDMI ports, etc.

Many thanks for everyone sharing their knowledge!

P.

PS my signature still refers to my previously-ordered A1E, but I can't seem to edit my signature...?

FlaccidWarrior 04-30-2018 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gadgtfreek (Post 56119954)
Dim and OLED HDR is a bit of a confusing thing. Chunon and I had 940E's. Sure its a light cannon, but the black floor is raised too when in HDR mode. The OLED will maintain that zero black regardless, so specular highlights like street likes, vehicle lights, etc... in the dark are pretty dang cool.

I watched Maze Runner Death Cure last weekend on the A1E and the HDR was great. I just dont think dim, there is a ton of pop because of the blacks. Now sure, the highlights at 700 nits are not as bright as 1400 nits or whatever, but the pop an OLED has in SDR and HDR is the real deal. Also, even when in HDR mode and day scenes, you maintain a depth of image due to the contrast ratio an LCD cannot put out.

Thank you for your input. I've just never seen an OLED in a dark home environment, I've only ever seen them on display in bright stores. So I expect that I will love the A8F immediately if I get it. I'm just hesitant right now but I think I'm going to buy it this week.

fatallerror 04-30-2018 10:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 56119512)
The Sony web page for the A8F (footnote 5) says Dolby Vision via firmware update by summer of 2018. Of course Sony has broken it’s promises before. I suspect the hold up is that the Dolby Company needs to certify it before it can be released. Once the 2018 Sony 900F gets it’s pending DV update, the A8F should follow in a few weeks (since the 900F was released a few weeks before the A8F).

Where do you see summer?

chunon 05-01-2018 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrpetrov (Post 56119992)
I've ordered the 65" A8F - I cancelled my A1E order and went for the A8F instead. It arrives on May 4 into our new home in Portland, OR. It will be mounted in a media cabinet with a full swivel Sanus mount. It's replacing a 55" Pioneer Kuro (which I brought with me from the UK).



As a first time OLED owner it would be super handy to have a "new owner ticks & trips" section in the OP. Eg, how long you should run it before running a manual refresh cycle, common starting picture settings, what settings one might consider turning on/off out of the box (eg motion/BFI) based on taste, which hardward to connect to which HDMI ports, etc.



Many thanks for everyone sharing their knowledge!



P.



PS my signature still refers to my previously-ordered A1E, but I can't seem to edit my signature...?



Click on the user cp menu option there should be an edit signature option there.

BreakPoint 05-01-2018 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatallerror (Post 56120558)
Where do you see summer?

You are correct. They must have just changed it. I did check the web page just yesterday. Either that or I was on the wrong web page. In any case it is now footnote 3 it used to be footnote 5. The Sony X700 Blu Ray player does say Dolby Vision by the summer of 2018 in footnote 2.

BreakPoint 05-01-2018 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatallerror (Post 56120558)
Where do you see summer?

I think I know how I messed up. I was probably looking at the Sony 900F web page. On there Dolby vision is footnote 5 which does say summer of 2018. Sorry.

technoarch 05-01-2018 04:43 AM

Got the 55A8F mounted on the wall late last night and threw some limited content at it.

To say we are impressed in an understatement. Everything from DirecTV to ATV4k looks pretty darn good straight out of the box. This unit is in the bedroom and we are just using the Acoustical Surface Speakers with an outboard Energy Sub and it sounds great for that application.

Cannot wait to get the hours on it so D-Nice can come calibrate it.

wallstreet123456 05-01-2018 05:37 AM

I too am really wanting to pull the trigger on this set but am waiting a bit for the owners here to report back how burn in is. That is truly my main concern.

chunon 05-01-2018 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wallstreet123456 (Post 56121100)
I too am really wanting to pull the trigger on this set but am waiting a bit for the owners here to report back how burn in is. That is truly my main concern.



I have yet to see any IR let alone burn in, I owned a 2015 and 2016 lg and never had an ir or burn in issue. The potential is way overblown here on AVS imo .

gadgtfreek 05-01-2018 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chunon (Post 56121124)
I have yet to see any IR let alone burn in, I owned a 2015 and 2016 lg and never had an ir or burn in issue. The potential is way overblown here on AVS imo .

Same for me. I don't game, but I just have never had an issue, and I am on OLED #3 .

In my experience, it is nothing like plasma, were I would regularly see IR after a long ESPN college football session or something.

Monday Night Rollins 05-01-2018 10:02 AM

Excited to get this TV in the next few weeks. I work at Best Buy part time and the Sony Accomodation for us went live last night at midnight, and I managed to be one of the 2,000 people that got a coupon for a ridiculous price on this TV.

My gf bought a B7 LG a few months ago and it's been a beautiful set so far, so I'm interested to see how well a Sony OLED compares in real world environments and not just with the in store demo looping. Coming off a 65ks8000 and Panasonic VT50. Keeping the Panasonic (duh) and giving the Samsung to a friend. Don't think I could ever go back to an edge lit TV after seeing the B7 for a while now. (btw, the TCL P series is also wonderful).

For those of you that have gotten a calibration on a Sony OLED before, did it make a signifcant difference?

chunon 05-01-2018 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monday Night Rollins (Post 56122448)
Excited to get this TV in the next few weeks. I work at Best Buy part time and the Sony Accomodation for us went live last night at midnight, and I managed to be one of the 2,000 people that got a coupon for a ridiculous price on this TV.



My gf bought a B7 LG a few months ago and it's been a beautiful set so far, so I'm interested to see how well a Sony OLED compares in real world environments and not just with the in store demo looping. Coming off a 65ks8000 and Panasonic VT50. Keeping the Panasonic (duh) and giving the Samsung to a friend. Don't think I could ever go back to an edge lit TV after seeing the B7 for a while now. (btw, the TCL P series is also wonderful).



For those of you that have gotten a calibration on a Sony OLED before, did it make a signifcant difference?


The calibration controls are limited and the oob picture is pretty good . Calibration can always improve things but it’s pretty subjective . I think most folks would be more than satisfied by just dialing in basic settings .

Cleveland Plasma 05-01-2018 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BreakPoint (Post 56119512)
The Sony web page for the A8F (footnote 5) says Dolby Vision via firmware update by summer of 2018. Of course Sony has broken it’s promises before. I suspect the hold up is that the Dolby Company needs to certify it before it can be released. Once the 2018 Sony 900F gets it’s pending DV update, the A8F should follow in a few weeks (since the 900F was released a few weeks before the A8F).

I was really shocked it did not have DV out of the box.......

chunon 05-01-2018 11:12 AM

2018 Sony A8F Owners Only Thread
 
Unboxing and settings recommendations from HDTV test

Keenan 05-01-2018 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chunon (Post 56122860)
Unboxing and settings recommendations from HDTV test https://youtu.be/-5xVIF3bA8A

It looks like the video was pulled.

gadgtfreek 05-01-2018 02:40 PM

It is still there.

chunon 05-01-2018 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keenan (Post 56124164)
It looks like the video was pulled.



I was able to access it also

Keenan 05-01-2018 04:25 PM

Yep, it's working now, it was giving a YT error code earlier.

steveura 05-01-2018 09:59 PM

Wall mount
 
I have decided to purchase the A8F. Any suggestions for a thin wall mount? I have a 4” deep inset in my wall that I’d love this to set into so that the panel is flush with the wall (i.e. depth of TV + mount = 4”). My understanding is that the TV is 2.25” deep and most mounts that I’ve seen are around 2.5”, making it stand out .75” instead of flush. I’m looking for a wall mount that is 1.75” or less, preferably one that could extend out to make connections easy, then push back flush. The Crimson AU65WP20 seems like it might be perfect, but I’m unfamiliar with the Crimson brand (more familiar with Sanus).

chunon 05-02-2018 02:21 AM

I see some of you are not following the rules posted in the first post . Sony bashing should not take place in an owners only thread . Posts reported to the moderators .

teachsac 05-02-2018 04:35 AM

Thread clean up. Follow the rules of the first post.

chunon 05-02-2018 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steveura (Post 56126102)
I have decided to purchase the A8F. Any suggestions for a thin wall mount? I have a 4” deep inset in my wall that I’d love this to set into so that the panel is flush with the wall (i.e. depth of TV + mount = 4”). My understanding is that the TV is 2.25” deep and most mounts that I’ve seen are around 2.5”, making it stand out .75” instead of flush. I’m looking for a wall mount that is 1.75” or less, preferably one that could extend out to make connections easy, then push back flush. The Crimson AU65WP20 seems like it might be perfect, but I’m unfamiliar with the Crimson brand (more familiar with Sanus).



Welcome to the owners club ! Unfortunately my set is not wall mounted so can’t offer much help on that subject . My only concern with a really thin mount might be cable access make sure your cables are thin and flexible . Let us know what mount you pick .


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.