AVS Forum banner

2018 Sony A8F Owners Only Thread

539K views 3K replies 324 participants last post by  lsorensen 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Let’s try this again , I have the moderators backing on this.

OWNERS ONLY!!

This thread is now exclusively for current owners of the 2018 Sony A8F. If you do not own the set, do not post here. This is NOT the thread for comparisons or help-me-choose questions. For those, find an existing thread or start a new one. The same members will see it.

All owners posting here are advised to put the A8F in their signatures. Posts from non-owners may be removed without warning. Repeated abuses may result in losing access to this thread.

#3 ·
Dolby Vision support in a later patch? Dolby Vision support through HDMI on this set?

Thanks for the support here with the new thread.

No one knows the when but it will happen at some point. Hdmi is already supported on the current Sony’s it’s up to device manufacturers to catch up.

#7 ·
I have been researching as much as possible over the last week and the 65" A8F might be the TV that I go with. I currently have a 49" Samsung KS8000. My primary use is gaming (ps4 pro) followed by movies (about to get a UHD Blu Ray player) as well as Netflix. I will get burn in insurance so I'm not too concerned about that and I've heard the issue is a little overblown anyway. I suppose my only real concern left is will the A8F be too dim while playing HDR games or watching HDR content?

#8 ·
Dim and OLED HDR is a bit of a confusing thing. Chunon and I had 940E's. Sure its a light cannon, but the black floor is raised too when in HDR mode. The OLED will maintain that zero black regardless, so specular highlights like street likes, vehicle lights, etc... in the dark are pretty dang cool.

I watched Maze Runner Death Cure last weekend on the A1E and the HDR was great. I just dont think dim, there is a ton of pop because of the blacks. Now sure, the highlights at 700 nits are not as bright as 1400 nits or whatever, but the pop an OLED has in SDR and HDR is the real deal. Also, even when in HDR mode and day scenes, you maintain a depth of image due to the contrast ratio an LCD cannot put out.

#9 · (Edited)
I've ordered the 65" A8F - I cancelled my A1E order and went for the A8F instead. It arrives on May 4 into our new home in Portland, OR. It will be mounted in a media cabinet with a full swivel Sanus mount. It's replacing a 55" Pioneer Kuro (which I brought with me from the UK).

As a first time OLED owner it would be super handy to have a "new owner ticks & trips" section in the OP. Eg, how long you should run it before running a manual refresh cycle, common starting picture settings, what settings one might consider turning on/off out of the box (eg motion/BFI) based on taste, which hardward to connect to which HDMI ports, etc.

Many thanks for everyone sharing their knowledge!

P.

PS my signature still refers to my previously-ordered A1E, but I can't seem to edit my signature...?

#12 ·
I've ordered the 65" A8F - I cancelled my A1E order and went for the A8F instead. It arrives on May 4 into our new home in Portland, OR. It will be mounted in a media cabinet with a full swivel Sanus mount. It's replacing a 55" Pioneer Kuro (which I brought with me from the UK).

As a first time OLED owner it would be super handy to have a "new owner ticks & trips" section in the OP. Eg, how long you should run it before running a manual refresh cycle, common starting picture settings, what settings one might consider turning on/off out of the box (eg motion/BFI) based on taste, which hardward to connect to which HDMI ports, etc.

Many thanks for everyone sharing their knowledge!

P.

PS my signature still refers to my previously-ordered A1E, but I can't seem to edit my signature...?

Click on the user cp menu option there should be an edit signature option there.

#15 ·
Got the 55A8F mounted on the wall late last night and threw some limited content at it.

To say we are impressed in an understatement. Everything from DirecTV to ATV4k looks pretty darn good straight out of the box. This unit is in the bedroom and we are just using the Acoustical Surface Speakers with an outboard Energy Sub and it sounds great for that application.

Cannot wait to get the hours on it so D-Nice can come calibrate it.

#19 ·
Excited to get this TV in the next few weeks. I work at Best Buy part time and the Sony Accomodation for us went live last night at midnight, and I managed to be one of the 2,000 people that got a coupon for a ridiculous price on this TV.

My gf bought a B7 LG a few months ago and it's been a beautiful set so far, so I'm interested to see how well a Sony OLED compares in real world environments and not just with the in store demo looping. Coming off a 65ks8000 and Panasonic VT50. Keeping the Panasonic (duh) and giving the Samsung to a friend. Don't think I could ever go back to an edge lit TV after seeing the B7 for a while now. (btw, the TCL P series is also wonderful).

For those of you that have gotten a calibration on a Sony OLED before, did it make a signifcant difference?

#20 ·
Excited to get this TV in the next few weeks. I work at Best Buy part time and the Sony Accomodation for us went live last night at midnight, and I managed to be one of the 2,000 people that got a coupon for a ridiculous price on this TV.

My gf bought a B7 LG a few months ago and it's been a beautiful set so far, so I'm interested to see how well a Sony OLED compares in real world environments and not just with the in store demo looping. Coming off a 65ks8000 and Panasonic VT50. Keeping the Panasonic (duh) and giving the Samsung to a friend. Don't think I could ever go back to an edge lit TV after seeing the B7 for a while now. (btw, the TCL P series is also wonderful).

For those of you that have gotten a calibration on a Sony OLED before, did it make a signifcant difference?

The calibration controls are limited and the oob picture is pretty good . Calibration can always improve things but it’s pretty subjective . I think most folks would be more than satisfied by just dialing in basic settings .

#27 ·
Wall mount

I have decided to purchase the A8F. Any suggestions for a thin wall mount? I have a 4” deep inset in my wall that I’d love this to set into so that the panel is flush with the wall (i.e. depth of TV + mount = 4”). My understanding is that the TV is 2.25” deep and most mounts that I’ve seen are around 2.5”, making it stand out .75” instead of flush. I’m looking for a wall mount that is 1.75” or less, preferably one that could extend out to make connections easy, then push back flush. The Crimson AU65WP20 seems like it might be perfect, but I’m unfamiliar with the Crimson brand (more familiar with Sanus).

#30 ·
I have decided to purchase the A8F. Any suggestions for a thin wall mount? I have a 4” deep inset in my wall that I’d love this to set into so that the panel is flush with the wall (i.e. depth of TV + mount = 4”). My understanding is that the TV is 2.25” deep and most mounts that I’ve seen are around 2.5”, making it stand out .75” instead of flush. I’m looking for a wall mount that is 1.75” or less, preferably one that could extend out to make connections easy, then push back flush. The Crimson AU65WP20 seems like it might be perfect, but I’m unfamiliar with the Crimson brand (more familiar with Sanus).

Welcome to the owners club ! Unfortunately my set is not wall mounted so can’t offer much help on that subject . My only concern with a really thin mount might be cable access make sure your cables are thin and flexible . Let us know what mount you pick .

#40 ·
Is there any technical reason the A8f couldn’t support HDR10+ should that format take off? I know Sony doesn’t currently support it but in the interest of future proofing I wonder if the X1 can handle the process with a firmware update.

#46 ·
Congrats!

That feeling will not go away any time soon. :)

I've had my Sony A1E for more than a year now and still feel the same way.

Dan

#48 ·
Question for current A8F owners.

If you have a Sony X700 blu-ray as well. Set the 24 fps option on for the internet apps. Then get into the Netflix app and move through the different choices. The previews on the upper part of the screen are played at either 24 or 60 frames per second. The preview frame rate seems to reflect the native frame rate of the selected item.

On my current panny V30 plasma, this change of frame rate causes a fairly long black out as the TV switches modes. So the question is, does the A8F handle the frame rate change without any trouble?

Thanks

LeRoy

#56 ·
Ok I tried it on the A8F and X700. It does the blackout just as you said. When switching between previews of 24 hz and 60 hz, the whole screen goes black for about 3 seconds, then the screen comes back and the preview starts playing. No blackout when switching to a preview of the same frame rate.

I usually use Netflix on my Roku. This does not have the problem because the previews are all played back at 60 hz since the Roku forces everything to 60hz and I don’t see any option for 24 hz in Netflix or on the Roku.

Reactions: chunon
#51 ·
#52 ·
I’m not clear if they calibrated. FlatpanelsHD reviewed the tv and basically said the PQ was identical. Curious to see what rtings has to say shortly.

#53 ·
Hi.
I've been looking at either the AF8 or A1 in 65 inch size to buy as my new TV. I am a teacher, so I have a nice 10 week summer holiday, during which to watch all the movies and play all the games as I want (late at night, as I am married and have a three-year-old daughter). So my dilemma is as follows. The A1 in Finland is currently 2999 euros and the AF8 is 3599 euros. I can pretty much buy the A1 on June first when my holiday starts or the AF8 in August after my holiday is almost over when I get my bonus holiday pay. And being a teacher pretty much kills my free time on weeknights when I'm teaching. So, should I get the A1 with the 2017 panel and easel stand (my AV stand is pretty high, about 60 cm high) or get the AF8 with the 2018 panel and a less of an incline but miss watching the World Cup and all the 4k Blu-rays I own during the summer? BTW, I'm posting on the A1 forum as well because the more opinions I get, the better.