2018 LG W8 Owners' Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 35Likes

post #91 of 107 Old 03-07-2020, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi. I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place, but if anyone would take pity on a newbie AVS neophyte, I'm on here because I bought this crazy w8 Wallpaper TV hoping to have the closest experience to being in a theater and so far, I'm really less than pleased.

The issue is motion smoothing / video processing, which appears to get a little better when you turn trumotion either to off or choose user w/ the settings for De-judder and De-blurring at 0.

But, still. Movies usually look like they're halfway between a movie theater and a soap opera. Think: Masterpiece theater.

I've tinkered with Real Cinema, turned deep color off, kept the noise reduction at 0. When it's a newer movie in Dolby Vision, getting it to move accurately is a little better, as are movies on Apple TV with the settings changed to 24 fps on everything. But for the most part, what comes out of movie just doesn't usually move like film.

There are a few exceptions, but not many. Last week I went into Best Buy and spent some time with the C9, and the difference was extreme enough (it's so much better) that I wondered if somehow I'm doing something wrong on mine, if the particular one I bought is faulty, whether there's a good hack, or if I'm screwed.

Because right now, this feels like an awful purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 107 Old 03-07-2020, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hi. I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right place, but if anyone would take pity on a newbie AVS neophyte, I'm on here because I bought this crazy w8 Wallpaper TV hoping to have the closest experience to being in a theater and so far, I'm really less than pleased.

The issue is motion smoothing / video processing, which appears to get a little better when you turn trumotion either to off or choose user w/ the settings for De-judder and De-blurring at 0.

But, still. Movies usually look like they're halfway between a movie theater and a soap opera. Think: Masterpiece theater.

I've tinkered with Real Cinema, turned deep color off, kept the noise reduction at 0. When it's a newer movie in Dolby Vision, getting it to move accurately is a little better, as are movies on Apple TV with the settings changed to 24 fps on everything. But for the most part, what comes out of movie just doesn't usually move like film.

There are a few exceptions, but not many. Last week I went into Best Buy and spent some time with the C9, and the difference was extreme enough (it's so much better) that I wondered if somehow I'm doing something wrong on mine, if the particular one I bought is faulty, whether there's a good hack, or if I'm screwed.

Because right now, this feels like an awful purchase.
Try ...

True motion user.
De judder 0
De blurr 10

Thats the Lg best motion settings on they oled.

Lg W8 65" Wall paper oled tv. Sources Oppo 203. Panasonic UB9000. Apple 4K tv. Xbox one x.
Lg E6 65" 3D oled tv... Sorce Oppo 103D
Royole Moon 3D oled headset.
post #93 of 107 Old 03-08-2020, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsamx View Post
Try ...

True motion user.
De judder 0
De blurr 10

Thats the Lg best motion settings on they oled.
WORSE...Just smooths it out even more with the De-Blur set higher. I want it to look like FILM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of 107 Old 03-08-2020, 10:54 PM

Cool

Quote:
WORSE...Just smooths it out even more with the De-Blur set higher. I want it to look like FILM.
Well with Lg sample n hold oled motion thats the best it is.
And no it dont smooth it out at all.

If u want film its Sony Oleds they got better motion

Lg W8 65" Wall paper oled tv. Sources Oppo 203. Panasonic UB9000. Apple 4K tv. Xbox one x.
post #95 of 107 Old 03-09-2020, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 28
my panel really got better with over 10hours usage out of the box, 5% slide shows a bit of banding but nothing major, anything over that is very good.

post #96 of 107 Old 03-09-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometManTriumph View Post
my panel really got better with over 10hours usage out of the box, 5% slide shows a bit of banding but nothing major, anything over that is very good.

Looks good but ur looking at to high grey percent 5 is the one to check on uniformety 10 n over most oleds looks good.
Se on ur 12.5 Percent u got a faint band on the right side that prob shows more on 5 n 10 grey.

post #97 of 107 Old 03-19-2020, 08:10 AM

webOS icon color help

hello there
my inputs all of the sudden changed to white and i hate it, i want it back to black icons like it was

lg oled 77w8

any idea how to change this?
post #98 of 107 Old 04-11-2020, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This just started to happen. it happens on all inputs / apps / live tv / netflix even on picture test.

its random from time to time.

what should i do? i recently updated , could it be because of the update ? should i try to downgrade or just call LG and try to have the unit replaced

not sure why i cant upload the video , but here is a link : streamable.com/hxjc0i
post #99 of 107 Old 04-11-2020, 08:00 AM

Odd my is fine its on atm.

post #100 of 107 Old 04-11-2020, 10:11 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
yeah imagine my pain ... its 77 inches
post #101 of 107 Old 04-12-2020, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I use the stock Expert Bright Room setting. It seems to do the least amount of motion smoothing to me but still not perfect. You can see it’s still there but not too noticeable (or maybe I’m just use to it).

You might want to try the C8 thread. The panel is the same and it’s a huge very active thread.
post #102 of 107 Old 04-12-2020, 01:19 PM

Is there an app for the W8 that’ll allow me to watch my iTunes movies? Movies Anywhere will as long as they are from participating studios but Movies Anywhere doesn’t recognize Family Sharing (at least as far as I can tell.)
post #103 of 107 Old 04-15-2020, 09:50 AM

New SW update now..... lill silly one a You tube x2 speed fix.

post #104 of 107 Old 05-16-2020, 10:45 AM

Foam Packaging

Hey guys.

I'm upgrading to the GalleryX and have managed to strike a good deal for my W8, but there are two things I don't have: one is the ribbon cable extension and the other is the foam packaging that goes with the box.

If anyone has this, I'd love to buy it and will pay a good price for it. But I'm trying to get it fairly quickly because the guy is giving his to his son for his son's birthday.

The foam can also be sent back to you if necessary.

Text me at 212 529 6573
post #105 of 107 Old 05-23-2020, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Hey guys.

I'm upgrading to the GalleryX and have managed to strike a good deal for my W8
Nice. How do you like the GalleryX. I wish I would’ve held out for one. I spent more for my W8.
post #106 of 107 Old 06-09-2020, 04:44 AM

My 77w8 is doing something very annoying recently on hdr, i know it auto dims down on bright scenes to protect the panel but what i didnt know is that it does the same on very dark scenes as well, is there anyway to stop this from happening? If i watch a dark scene for too long it almost gets to the point i cant see anything on screen, if i hit the settings or enter the menu, i get back the normal brightness and can see the panel coming back up to normal hdr settings again. I have all eco settings off, dynamic contrast and other stuff off. Its very annoying. Any ideas?
post #107 of 107 Old 06-20-2020, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CometManTriumph View Post
My 77w8 is doing something very annoying recently on hdr, i know it auto dims down on bright scenes to protect the panel but what i didnt know is that it does the same on very dark scenes as well, is there anyway to stop this from happening? If i watch a dark scene for too long it almost gets to the point i cant see anything on screen, if i hit the settings or enter the menu, i get back the normal brightness and can see the panel coming back up to normal hdr settings again. I have all eco settings off, dynamic contrast and other stuff off. Its very annoying. Any ideas?
That's strange, mine stopped doing that once I turned off energy savings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
lg w9

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page