Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #1 of 39 Old 06-01-2018, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
2018 LG W8 Owners' Thread

Didn't see a W8 thread, so thought I'd start one.

My OLED77W8P arrived last weekend exactly at the end of the renovation that built the space it would go into, so spent the weekend installing it. I moved -very- slowly with it so the whole thing took two days.

My thoughts

The "Wallpaper" specific parts Amazing. It simply is the way all TV's should be. When you put it in "Art Gallery" mode, you really have a hard time believing the pictures aren't real. The sound bar initially seems like a waste, as spending this $$ without a matching quality sound system would be silly. However, it's really a lot more than a sound bar... all the AV processing happens inside that box, so there's no way around it's existence. Having said that, it's very solidly built, so I mounted it directly on shelf brackets with small spacers so it looks like it's "floating", and I'm happy with the result. Using the extension cable I could have run it down to the basement where the result of the AV equipment now is, but it's actually a nice addition to the decor.

The OLED Much Wow. First, as most know, this is the exact same panel as all the other OLED's, so there's no advantage to the other OLED's. Still amazing, especially after cranking up the OLED light brightness. I haven't had the panel calibrated professionally yet, I'm just playing the settings myself to see what I prefer. I found the shadows too dark OOB, so I've increased brightness and decreased contrast a bit to show off more shadow detail, but still a work in progress.

The A9 Processor Near as I can tell, this is the only thing different from the W7 models. While I can't compare to the 2017 processor side by side, I did pull up episode one of Cheers on Netflix (so clearly an SD source), and was very impressed with the upscaling. You could see it trying to work magic, as the results varied depending on the amount of motion and angles, but in many cases the face detail seemed close to 1080p quality. Sometimes I find the motion processing in some scenes a bit jarring (Westworld S2E1 source last night), but I can't put my finger on why yet.

Sound I am using an external receiver (Denon AVR-6400H) over HDMI ARC, with CEC on and audio sync settings enabled on both ends. I haven't noticed any audio lag issues except over some of the IP-based TV channels. I've had no issue running a NetFlix Dolby Atmos stream down the receiver and getting (in my setup) 5.1.4 back out. (All the speakers are now in-wall DefTechs except for a SuperCube to keep the wallpaper streamlined theme going)

UI The UI is fast and responsive, and while we are still getting used to it, it seems like we will be able to run everything we need directly from the TV (Netflix, Plex, Live TV, Amazon Prime). I was pleasantly surprised by the LG Content Search feature that finds content across multiple providers.

The installation

First off it's packed very well. I nearly fainted when it came off the truck and I saw a massive gouge in the cardboard box. Fortunately LG put a protective internal layer inside which is more tear resistant and prevented the gouge from doing any real damage. The installation manual is fairly weak, lots of pictures but few words, and clearly this is not something you want to guess on. The clearances are tiny so you need to make sure you use the right stuff in the right spot. So I recommend that the LG installation video on YouTube, which will help put some context and explain what all the "extra bits" are for (one of the other installation videos out there ends with the installers discovering the screws they should have been using in the box... ooops).

The panel and mount are light (for their size), so you need two people to lift the panel just to keep it stable, but no one needs to be particularly strong.

Surprises
The red screw insert/mounts are too much for drywall "as is", as the screw gets driven in, the stress will cause the mount to "spin" in the drywall. I recommend cutting off the end of the mount as it's superfluous in 1/2" drywall. The instructions seem rather focused on wood and masonry walls which I found odd. The key if you are mounting in drywall is to ensure that you've got screws going into at least two studs (obviously those don't need screw mounts). And the slots are nicely spaced so no matter where you need to mount the TV, you'll be able to find a slot to access a stud (there are two rows of slots so 100% coverage).

Surprise #2 was how stiff the ribbon cable is. It's NOT like an old-fashioned IDE ribbon cable, much heavier duty. So if you put a center speaker in between the sound bar and the TV and need to route behind it, don't expect to be able to do any fancy routing of the cable. Some awkward positioning of studs took up most of my installation time. The extension cable is included, but again, very stiff. SO PLAN AHEAD for how you are going to mount it if you intend to have a center speaker, especially an in-wall. There is very little flexibility in the distance between the panel and the sound bar.

Quibbles
- The ads on the LG Content Store. Seriously? Spend this amount of cash on a TV and there's a need for ads in one tiny place of the TV?
- I wish the HDMI/USB inputs were angled inwards. The box has to sit some distance from the wall to accomodate high quality HDMI cables that have limited flexibility.
- The Alexa functionality has been unimpressive, sometimes you have to "ask LG to" and sometime not, and several of the commands it's listed didn't seem to work. But still getting used to it. We don't plan on using the Google Assistant piece, just doesn't seem necessary so far.
- When it first fired up, I couldn't access any of the advanced/expert picture mode settings. After a firmware upgrade to 3.00.62, the options opened up.
- After the firmware upgrade it said it would be complete after a restart. On/Off button didn't generate a restart, and LG support said it is supposed to restart itself, but it didn't so had to pull the plug and hard reboot.
- According to the website, 3.00.75 is the most recent firmware, but the "check update" button shows no update available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 06-01-2018, 10:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked: 1191
Congrats and would love to see it installed. Any pics?

I love the look of the W panels and I even think the soundbar is kind of cool looking.

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.
Sony XBR-65A1E OLED/Denon X4300H/Oppo 203/Klipsch RVX‑42/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/5.1.2
post #3 of 39 Old 06-01-2018, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Here's one. Lighting not the best at the moment, but you get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-2126.jpg
Views:	909
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	2410440  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 Old 06-01-2018, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked: 767
So I get the impression that like many W7 owners you would like the electronics to be in a smaller box rather than the soundbar so the soundbar wouldn't be mandatory.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #5 of 39 Old 06-01-2018, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
So I get the impression that like many W7 owners you would like the electronics to be in a smaller box rather than the soundbar so the soundbar wouldn't be mandatory.
Yes, though I admit it's pretty cool the way the little ports open and the speakers lift out when the internal audio is turned on

The trick is the form factor of the smaller box... traditional rack-mount style? In-wall mountable box? Smaller version of what we already have? Tough call.

Now what would be *really* great is if future W9/10 etc. boxes were all backwards compatible with the W7/W8 panels (I wonder if anyone has tried to plug a W8 bar into a W7 panel???). Allow processing upgrades (HDMI 2.1) that don't require a new panel...
post #6 of 39 Old 06-01-2018, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2777 Post(s)
Liked: 3267
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnieboer View Post
Here's one. Lighting not the best at the moment, but you get the idea.
Wow, congrats on that beast!
post #7 of 39 Old 06-02-2018, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6197 Post(s)
Liked: 6213
post #8 of 39 Old 06-03-2018, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 42
What really is the point beyond aesthetics of getting a W series, G or E series oled? the underlying tech and picture quality is the same. They dont have the G series anymore in 2018 do they? But with W8, like last year's W, there is no advantage on the picture front compared to a C. Yet..LG's pricing on these W models is insane. I am betting LG must be making a fortune with them. Has any one checked LG's margins on these W and E oleds? Aesthetics are all fine and well..wallpaper, picture on glass etc..but with the price of these oleds, especially the W, there should be at least some differentiating factor on the picture quality, otherwise i dont see the point of paying so much more for aesthetics alone.
post #9 of 39 Old 06-03-2018, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4278 Post(s)
Liked: 3703
Aesthetics and audio are the main differentiators. That's just how LG has rolled with the differentiation since 2016, with rare exception (the G6 actually has Youtube HDR unlike the lower models). Of course the idea is to maximize profit on the Signature.
Wolfson23 likes this.
post #10 of 39 Old 06-03-2018, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1475 Post(s)
Liked: 1443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfson23 View Post

What really is the point beyond aesthetics of getting a W series, G or E series oled? the underlying tech and picture quality is the same. They dont have the G series anymore in 2018 do they? But with W8, like last year's W, there is no advantage on the picture front compared to a C. Yet..LG's pricing on these W models is insane. I am betting LG must be making a fortune with them. Has any one checked LG's margins on these W and E oleds? Aesthetics are all fine and well..wallpaper, picture on glass etc..but with the price of these oleds, especially the W, there should be at least some differentiating factor on the picture quality, otherwise i dont see the point of paying so much more for aesthetics alone.
Your opinion of course, if some have the money? why not, specially if it's a new build custom home and you want the best to go with your decor.
lorenzo1000 likes this.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
post #11 of 39 Old 07-24-2018, 10:00 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnieboer View Post
Yes, though I admit it's pretty cool the way the little ports open and the speakers lift out when the internal audio is turned on

The trick is the form factor of the smaller box... traditional rack-mount style? In-wall mountable box? Smaller version of what we already have? Tough call.

Now what would be *really* great is if future W9/10 etc. boxes were all backwards compatible with the W7/W8 panels (I wonder if anyone has tried to plug a W8 bar into a W7 panel???). Allow processing upgrades (HDMI 2.1) that don't require a new panel...
The soundbar and the panel have a programmed compatibility. That’s to say, exchanging the soundbar would creat problems with the picture quality. ( so I’ve been advised)
post #12 of 39 Old 09-14-2018, 10:34 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Does anyone know If LG plans to release the 2019 wallpaper with a smaller sound bar?
post #13 of 39 Old 09-14-2018, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardia View Post
Does anyone know If LG plans to release the 2019 wallpaper with a smaller sound bar?

Pretty sure only LG knows until CES in January. At this point we don't even know if there is a 2019 wallpaper model.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #14 of 39 Old 09-14-2018, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Pretty sure only LG knows until CES in January. At this point we don't even know if there is a 2019 wallpaper model.
I see. I can’t justify that Buick that comes with the current model. Will have to wait till next year to decide on a tv.
lsorensen likes this.
post #15 of 39 Old 09-14-2018, 02:18 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4663
Quote:
Yeah, could be replaced with a rollable modrl .

Seriously, though, I expect LG to continue with the W-Series and believe it has replaced the G-Series in the lineup.

LG has an incentive to accentuate the differentiators of WOLED-TV, hence the eventual arrival of the rollable (R?) series, and since rhere is not another TV tech out there today that can match the wallpaper series, I expect LG to continue with that as well...
post #16 of 39 Old 09-14-2018, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
For the W8.. What do you do with the soundbar if you have a Surround sound system in place already? Could a non-audiophile have the soundbar sit in for a center channel speaker?

.. or do you chuck the surround sound system?
post #17 of 39 Old 09-17-2018, 07:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffejbean View Post
For the W8.. What do you do with the soundbar if you have a Surround sound system in place already? Could a non-audiophile have the soundbar sit in for a center channel speaker?

.. or do you chuck the surround sound system?

Some people have gone to great lengths making a room behind the wall the TV is on to hide the soundbar in. Some have talked about taking the soundbar apart to get the electronics without the speakers (not sure they ever did it though). Some just put up with having a stupid sooundbar under the TV they don't use. You can not use it as a center channel for another system. For some reason LG seems to believe people that buy the W7/W8 don't want to use a proper sound system with it.

Len Sorensen

post #18 of 39 Old 12-23-2018, 08:48 AM

Liked: 2
Hello!
Where to buy a separate cable for connecting the LG OLED W8 and soundbar.
Maybe someone knows the part number?
post #19 of 39 Old 12-30-2018, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Any chance you can simply add a wireless/powered sub to the newer w8 model to compliment the soundbar? I'm building a new home and really want to have this w8 be my tv for the great room, but the limited audio expansion has me concerned. Everything I've researched on LG's oleds they don't seem to offer any kind of "add on" audio components to the Signature series line. You would think LG would allow you to add their Atmos sub to this tv since there is no way that soundbar puts out the low end of a dedicated sub.
post #20 of 39 Old 12-31-2018, 02:21 AM

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by GenoBamBino View Post
Any chance you can simply add a wireless/powered sub to the newer w8 model to compliment the soundbar? I'm building a new home and really want to have this w8 be my tv for the great room, but the limited audio expansion has me concerned. Everything I've researched on LG's oleds they don't seem to offer any kind of "add on" audio components to the Signature series line. You would think LG would allow you to add their Atmos sub to this tv since there is no way that soundbar puts out the low end of a dedicated sub.

No.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #21 of 39 Old 01-15-2019, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Considering that the W8 has ports etc in an external box (soundbar), would it be possible to upgrade it to HDMI 2.1 you think? I assume that the actual panel and its connection to the soundbar/box would be compatible as long as the HDMI inputs can handle it?

Really don't understand LGs pricing for these TVs, at least in Sweden, the W8 is WAY more expensive than the other models, without offering really that much besides bragging rights and a soundbar.
post #22 of 39 Old 01-15-2019, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by improwise View Post
Considering that the W8 has ports etc in an external box (soundbar), would it be possible to upgrade it to HDMI 2.1 you think? I assume that the actual panel and its connection to the soundbar/box would be compatible as long as the HDMI inputs can handle it?

Really don't understand LGs pricing for these TVs, at least in Sweden, the W8 is WAY more expensive than the other models, without offering really that much besides bragging rights and a soundbar.
In theory LG could make a replacement soundbar for it. I am pretty certain they won't because the demand for it would be so low for a pretty low volume model to begin with, so the investment wouldn't be worth it. After all they would have to write firmware for the 2019 chipset to drive a W8 panel and maintain it. They would rather sell you a complete W9 instead which has other improvements too (like that new BFI mode which the old panel can't do).

The W8 pricing, well, who else offers anything like it? LG can charge what they want to.
WOLVERNOLE likes this.

Len Sorensen

post #23 of 39 Old 01-15-2019, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfson23 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by improwise View Post

You guys would make a great "killjoy" team ! What's the big deal about the Mona Lisa? Just some old bag with a crooked smile !
post #24 of 39 Old 01-16-2019, 03:39 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOLVERNOLE View Post
[/I][/B]

[/I][/B][/I][/B]

You guys would make a great "killjoy" team ! What's the big deal about the Mona Lisa? Just some old bag with a crooked smile !

Wouldn't pay for the Mona Lisa either, unless I could use the frame for something useful

But the thing isn't that there is a price difference, its the size of it. In Sweden the 77W8 is three times the price of the 77C8 with identical picture quality. That has got to be the worlds most expensive soundbar by a large margin.
post #25 of 39 Old 03-10-2019, 03:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello to all W8-Owners,
Can someone please check, if it's possbile to start the soundbar without having the OLED panel ribbon cable attached?
Since yesterday my soundbar continuously blinks orange and makes a "klack" noise when i hit the power button.
If someone has the same behaviour without the ribbon cable attached, i know that the panel or the ribbon cable may be defect and not the soundbar.
Thanks!!

Btw: i attached 2 pictures of my installation
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0809.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	2536794   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0818.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	718.6 KB
ID:	2536796  
post #26 of 39 Old 04-06-2019, 03:43 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Morning all, think this is the only W8 owners thread across the web, so I might just post some question into this one! How are people finding their W8 set after almost 12 months now in the market? I currently own a C8 65" but thinking about looking into the upgraded W8 65" for the aesthetics and the integrated soundbar. Are people happy with their W8s? Is the soundbar doing an 'ok' job, perhaps on par with something like a Sonos Playbar?
post #27 of 39 Old 04-25-2019, 02:44 PM

Liked: 12
I'm joining the W8 club. Just purchased a 65" version on clearance. Scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. I may post some questions here although this is not a very active thread (indicative of how few have one of these I'm sure.)

Tomorrow I'm going to try and purchase a 4K Blu-Ray player for it. Any recommendations? Is there any advantage to getting a LG player for the LG OLED? I know this is not the Blu-Ray forum but I was curious as to what other W8 owners have.
post #28 of 39 Old 04-25-2019, 06:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1475 Post(s)
Liked: 1443
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfields View Post

I'm joining the W8 club. Just purchased a 65" version on clearance. Scheduled to be delivered tomorrow. I may post some questions here although this is not a very active thread (indicative of how few have one of these I'm sure.)

Tomorrow I'm going to try and purchase a 4K Blu-Ray player for it. Any recommendations? Is there any advantage to getting a LG player for the LG OLED? I know this is not the Blu-Ray forum but I was curious as to what other W8 owners have.
Congrats on your new purchase, the W8 is a beautiful tv. As for getting a new 4K player, there is nothing wrong with getting an LG player to go with your new tv but there are better players out there with better quality and control of your picture. It really depends on your budget, check out the bluray player section for more info.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
post #29 of 39 Old 04-26-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
Congrats on your new purchase, the W8 is a beautiful tv. As for getting a new 4K player, there is nothing wrong with getting an LG player to go with your new tv but there are better players out there with better quality and control of your picture. It really depends on your budget, check out the bluray player section for more info. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
Heck, I'm thinking of just picking up a Xbox One S. Seems like the best deal going for a 4K player. Also, considering LG UBK90. I am rummaging through the Blu-Ray forums. The threads can be pretty cumbersome though.
post #30 of 39 Old 05-07-2019, 11:58 AM

Installed the W8 last night. Went fine for the most part. The OP was correct about the drywall anchors, three were fine but the fourth pushed through the drywall while screwing in the screw. I do have a fifth screw going into a stud. The most startling thing was when we picked up the OLED panel for the first time, I was expecting it to be rigid like glass but it easily bends. You immediately worry that you are breaking it.

I haven't adjusted any picture settings yet. I was going to let it break in for a couple of weeks before I start messing with it. Not sure if that's necessary but that's the plan.

So far I've only viewed it with regular HD material with the out-of-the-box video presets. It looks good, not as nice as my old Pioneer plasma but the Pioneer was 5" smaller and I spent a lot of time tinkering with the video settings on it. I'm assuming I can eventually get this set to match it (it's why I held out for OLED.).

I purchased a LG UBK90 4K player today so I'm looking forward to actually viewing some 4K content in it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page