Vincent Teoh - LG C8 vs Sony A8F - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 55Likes

post #31 of 73 Old 06-05-2018, 10:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
A scale of 1-10 does not make sense for your question. The Sony is roughly 15-25% better with low quality sources. Since of screen matters with this type of comparison too.
Where are the basic setting you said you'd post?
kngelv likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 73 Old 06-05-2018, 01:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacon_67 View Post
If you play games (especially something like Switch which outputs a 1080p signal) the input lag is a pretty significant win for LG.
I was torn between the 2 but input lag was the ultimate decision maker for me with getting the C8.
post #33 of 73 Old 06-05-2018, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
Well right now we don't know. It might look like the A8F, and it might look like the A1E (which I believe is what it replaces). Maybe the A1E was just a one time design experiment, and maybe they want to keep it. Only Sony knows so far.

Certainly material and build wise, the A1E is superior to the A8F, and one would hope the A9F is more like the A1E in that respect. The A1E is a beautiful piece of electronics. The A8F is just a nice TV.
The A1E is also at a great price but I have a 31 inch wide stand and it looks like the entire front of the screen must rest on a flat surface.If the A9F comes in that style and it is reviewed as a superior set I might just have to take a chance with it.

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 73 Old 06-05-2018, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post
In the LG vs Sony debate one huge feather in Sony's cap, if you do your own calibrations, is how Sony handles HDR calibration. In a nutshell you only have to calibrate SDR and everything maps over to HDR, no need to calibrate 2 picture modes or buy expensive HDR pattern generators. This is way more important to me than which one is slightly brighter or the way they choose to handle how HDR is displayed and the single reason I'd choose Sony over LG at this time.
it's not just a feather in the cap for sony in the lg vs sony oled debate, it translates to all sony hdr tv's, so it's an advantage even if we're comparing lcd's like the sony zd9 vs samsung q9fn. sony hdr tv's just simplify the process, you set a white balance for sdr and that maps over to hdr content accurately whenever the tv detects hdr10/dolby vision/hlg content.
post #35 of 73 Old 06-06-2018, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
Not only for diy makes it easier for pros to calibrate also, Chad did my sdr then one quick tweak for hdr and that was that
I would think that having a separate SDR and HDR modes would be preferable if one has access to the top calibrators like Chad, D-Nice, Vincent, etc; at I would think the way LG does it allows for more granular fine tuning of HDR (D-Nice or others can correct me here if I am wrongly assuming this). And the Sony method's advantage would come in for those like me who don't have access to the aforementioned guys or those of their caliber, and have to rely on the ISF site search for people that I have no way of checking their reputation. But if they have an ISF certification that would at least mean they are qualified to calibrate SDR, but HDR is a different and new beast. In this situation, the Sony method is very appealing, more so than better motion interpolation/up-scaling. This has me considering paying the premium for the Sony in the fall, then I remember that dreadful 1080p input lag when playing Switch

Then I also remember how messed up the game mode on the LG is in terms of picture accuracy and adjustable settings.

Last edited by Jin-X; 06-06-2018 at 07:31 PM.
post #36 of 73 Old 06-06-2018, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3837 Post(s)
Liked: 3775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jin-X View Post
I would think that having a separate SDR and HDR modes would be preferable if one has access to the top calibrators like Chad, D-Nice, Vincent, etc; at I would think the way LG does it allows for more granular fine tuning of HDR (D-Nice or others can correct me here if I am wrongly assuming this). And the Sony method's advantage would come in for those like me who don't have access to the aforementioned guys or those of their caliber, and have to rely on the ISF site search for people that I have no way of checking their reputation. But if they have an ISF certification that would at least mean they are qualified to calibrate SDR, but HDR is a different and new beast. In this situation, the Sony method is very appealing, more so than better motion interpolation/up-scaling. This has me considering paying the premium for the Sony in the fall, then I remember that dreadful 1080p input lag when playing Switch

Then I also remember how messed up the game mode on the LG is in terms of picture accuracy and adjustable settings.

Actually no the sdr mapping is so good my calibrator saw no value in doing a seperate hdr calibration. I think most would acknowledge Chad is a top calibrator . You don’t seem to be following my point.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
post #37 of 73 Old 06-06-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Actually no the sdr mapping is so good my calibrator saw no value in doing a seperate hdr calibration. I think most would acknowledge Chad is a top calibrator . You don’t seem to be following my point.
I think you misunderstood my post a bit. I understand its good, it's why its the biggest advantage over the LG to me, not most of the stuff that ppl refer to (motion/upscaling). I also mentioned Chad as one of the top calibrators. My doubt was that it just seemed intuitive that having separate SDR/HDR modes would allow for more granular tweaking of each. Sony's method being so good that it doesn't really make a difference is quite a feat.
post #38 of 73 Old 06-06-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jin-X View Post
I think you misunderstood my post a bit. I understand its good, it's why its the biggest advantage over the LG to me, not most of the stuff that ppl refer to (motion/upscaling). I also mentioned Chad as one of the top calibrators. My doubt was that it just seemed intuitive that having separate SDR/HDR modes would allow for more granular tweaking of each. Sony's method being so good that it doesn't really make a difference is quite a feat.

Hdr can be calibrated separately on the Sony’s so not sure what your point is . The reality is it’s not necessary though.

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
post #39 of 73 Old 06-06-2018, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked: 3685
Quote:
Hdr can be calibrated separately on the Sony’s so not sure what your point is . The reality is it’s not necessary though.
Correct except for the minor tweaks that can be made at the 940 nd 1024 points. No one would miss it if it were not done.
Spizz, Egan, capwkidd and 2 others like this.
post #40 of 73 Old 06-06-2018, 09:07 PM

Thanks, I did not know it could be calibrated separately on top of what Sony already does to map SDR setting to HDR. Those are the kind of details I want to know since I'm planning on buying an OLED this November.
post #41 of 73 Old 06-07-2018, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am on the fence with the two TVs... One thing I hate about the LG is that stupid mouse pointer, is there a way to turn that off and just go through the menus with the 4 way on the remotes? Also, if there a faster way of getting to the picture settings? I don't know if my experience would be different on an OLED when it comes to brightness, but what happens with my Panasonic plasma is I have to crank the brightness up almost all the way to watch movies, or TV shows, but youtube is bright, or orders TV shows, etc. 99% of my content is played from my ApplTV 1080p (yes, of course U'll get a 4k AppleTV when I get a 4k TV).... But I wonder, will this be a non issue with the brightness on a modern TV?

I do like the way the colors pop on the LG, but the menu system is terrible, not the Sony, the menu is straight forward.

Do the Sonys have the night mode (which I assume is like the mode on the iPhones where it warms up the color temp at night)?

I like the TV picture off button, I was surprised to find that... That would be helpful anytime I am listening to music, and don't need the screen on for sure!

Is there a way to program a shortcut button for say brightness on either of the TVs?

Is there a voice command to adjust brightness, or other settings (Best Buy does not have an internet connection to use, so...)...

So far, the LG wins on color pop, and since I primarily like SCiFi, this makes sense, but the horrible menu setup!

The Sony just seems to work in every way, and the audio will be great in the future as a bedroom TV (if I ever use it as a bedroom TV in the future, but for now, I'll not be using it).

Do Best Buy techs know what they are doing when it comes to calibration?

Thoughts? Thanks!
post #42 of 73 Old 06-07-2018, 02:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4298 Post(s)
Liked: 3723
You get accustomed to the pointer pretty quick, it's become second-nature to me and not at all a nuisance. Best Buy does the bare minimum for calibration, which falls short of accuracy.

Last edited by video_analysis; 06-07-2018 at 02:06 AM.
post #43 of 73 Old 06-07-2018, 02:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
I [am] pretty sure LG is basically on the bleeding edge when it comes to the luminance capabilities of this current panel. Translating to PC, they are overclocking.... a bit more than they should. Sony, as well as other OEMs, have choosen not to go down that path.
Why are you saying this? Above emphasis mine.

It sounds quite worrying.

Seriously. AVS is a place where you go to learn to be unhappy. - Bear5k
Video Pioneer PDP-LX6090 (calibrated)
Audio Yamaha RX-A3010, Dynaudio Audience 72 (FL, FR), Dynaudio Audience 42C (C), Dynaudio 42W (SR, SL), Chario Piccolo Star Satellite (Presence Height), SVS PB-1000 (SW)
Sources HTPC, Xbox One S, Squeezebox
post #44 of 73 Old 06-07-2018, 03:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by capwkidd View Post
I am on the fence with the two TVs... One thing I hate about the LG is that stupid mouse pointer, is there a way to turn that off and just go through the menus with the 4 way on the remotes? Also, if there a faster way of getting to the picture settings? I don't know if my experience would be different on an OLED when it comes to brightness, but what happens with my Panasonic plasma is I have to crank the brightness up almost all the way to watch movies, or TV shows, but youtube is bright, or orders TV shows, etc. 99% of my content is played from my ApplTV 1080p (yes, of course U'll get a 4k AppleTV when I get a 4k TV).... But I wonder, will this be a non issue with the brightness on a modern TV?

I do like the way the colors pop on the LG, but the menu system is terrible, not the Sony, the menu is straight forward.

Do the Sonys have the night mode (which I assume is like the mode on the iPhones where it warms up the color temp at night)?

I like the TV picture off button, I was surprised to find that... That would be helpful anytime I am listening to music, and don't need the screen on for sure!

Is there a way to program a shortcut button for say brightness on either of the TVs?

Is there a voice command to adjust brightness, or other settings (Best Buy does not have an internet connection to use, so...)...

So far, the LG wins on color pop, and since I primarily like SCiFi, this makes sense, but the horrible menu setup!

The Sony just seems to work in every way, and the audio will be great in the future as a bedroom TV (if I ever use it as a bedroom TV in the future, but for now, I'll not be using it).

Do Best Buy techs know what they are doing when it comes to calibration?

Thoughts? Thanks!
You're blinded by just one side of the story. Except if you actually did another 5 minutes of research, you'd know that although Android TV is much more straightforward - it is also horrendously slow and in some cases, very buggy.

As for color "pop", man I hate this word.
mrtickleuk likes this.

SVS Ultra Bookshelf + SVS Ultra Center
Prime Bookshelf Surround with Prime Elevation Heights
Dual Rythmik FV15HP
Yamaha RX-A3060 + Parasound Halo A31 + Emotiva A500
post #45 of 73 Old 06-07-2018, 05:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2308 Post(s)
Liked: 3165
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorman42 View Post
Why are you saying this? Above emphasis mine.

It sounds quite worrying.
You buy a 5 year warranty and enjoy the additional output

Another reason to hang on to your Kuro.
capwkidd likes this.

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #46 of 73 Old 06-07-2018, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurraybhm View Post
You buy a 5 year warranty and enjoy the additional output

Another reason to hang on to your Kuro.
I actually don't particularly want to hang on to my Kuro, by now.

Seriously. AVS is a place where you go to learn to be unhappy. - Bear5k
Video Pioneer PDP-LX6090 (calibrated)
Audio Yamaha RX-A3010, Dynaudio Audience 72 (FL, FR), Dynaudio Audience 42C (C), Dynaudio 42W (SR, SL), Chario Piccolo Star Satellite (Presence Height), SVS PB-1000 (SW)
Sources HTPC, Xbox One S, Squeezebox
post #47 of 73 Old 06-07-2018, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I second some of the replies above with regards to LG''s UI and motion control (pointer) - I love it. Its significantly faster for navigating menus than a typical D-pad. I suppose if the TV was never really used for its internal apps, or switching sources frequently its mostly a moot point. That said I think the overall UI responsiveness and control is a huge win for LG. Navigating Netflix/Amazon, quickly changing sources, and even the STB controls are extremely pleasant imo.

Now if only they would put HBOGO on there so I didn't have to fire up the PS4 each time.
Gillietalls likes this.
post #48 of 73 Old 06-07-2018, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Tan View Post
You're blinded by just one side of the story. Except if you actually did another 5 minutes of research, you'd know that although Android TV is much more straightforward - it is also horrendously slow and in some cases, very buggy.

As for color "pop", man I hate this word.
I know the interface on the Sony is slower, but I wouldn't be using the built in Apps, as I use an AppleTV .... Why do you hate that word? Just using the word that provides a clear understanding of my thoughts.... When communicating, its always best to choose the simplest words to get your idea across, instead of words that only some can understand... Eh?
post #49 of 73 Old 06-07-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
You get accustomed to the pointer pretty quick, it's become second-nature to me and not at all a nuisance. Best Buy does the bare minimum for calibration, which falls short of accuracy.
For $50 I wouldn't expect much....

Doesn't the LG have some sort of auto calibration mode? What do you do rent a camera? Buy the software?
post #50 of 73 Old 06-07-2018, 10:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1429 Post(s)
Liked: 824
Quote:

Doesn't the LG have some sort of auto calibration mode? What do you do rent a camera? Buy the software?

It takes a couple of thousand dollars in hardware and software to use the autocal feature, and you probably still need to have some idea how to set it up and use it. It speeds up part of the calibration process and probably allows you to do more measurements in the same time, but I get the impression it still requires someone that understands the calibration process to use it.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #51 of 73 Old 06-07-2018, 11:38 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 48
[QUOTE=move4ward;56286066]Vincent put up his comparison review of C8 vs A8F.

Best Buy just came out and said me 65C6P can not be fixed so I am going to pick out a new one. I will miss 3D, but not much I can do. I was looking at 3-LG C8, LG-E8 and the Sony A8F. Seems like most of the Best Buy tech like Sony the best, but I am not sure any advise would be appreciated.

Sony OLED 65A8F & LG OLED 55B7A
Denon AVRS740H & Denon AVRX2200W
Direct TV, PS4, PS, & XBoxS
Pioneer Elite Atmos SP-EBS73 x 2 & 2 Centers
Sony X-700 BD & Samsung K8500 BD
post #52 of 73 Old 06-07-2018, 01:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked: 261
Would it have been more fair if Vinny did some tests with the small Sony closer to his viewing position to try to simulate the larger screen size of the LG?

Also, for the guy saying his stand is too narrow for the A1E, look on Amazon for table top stands. Some $17 legs are popular and would solve the tilt and fit on a narrow stand. Also good if you want center speaker under TV and your stand has no place. https://www.amazon.com/WALI-Universa...dp/B01HE1IVNA/

For the guy saying new top surface OLED being 10% brighter means certainly over 1000 nits, I say 800+10% or even 900+10% isn't >1000 ;-)
post #53 of 73 Old 06-07-2018, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1036 Post(s)
Liked: 648
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
It takes a couple of thousand dollars in hardware and software to use the autocal feature, and you probably still need to have some idea how to set it up and use it. It speeds up part of the calibration process and probably allows you to do more measurements in the same time, but I get the impression it still requires someone that understands the calibration process to use it.
In the video this thread is based on Vincent didn't seem overly impressed by it.

Sony 65A1E
post #54 of 73 Old 06-07-2018, 08:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1429 Post(s)
Liked: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egan View Post
In the video this thread is based on Vincent didn't seem overly impressed by it.

It does seem like the software still has some bugs and the design on the TV (given it locks all the settings when auto calibrated as far as I understand it) could use some improvements. Hopefully some of that will happen.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #55 of 73 Old 06-08-2018, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:

[QUOTE=chunon;56304804 I think most would acknowledge Chad is a top calibrator.[/QUOTE]

How are we to determine who is a "top calibrator"? I had Eliab from Avical calibrate a rear projection Toshiba and a Panny plasma. I later had Chad B do a different Panny plasma. Eliab spent about twice as much time on the plasma as Chad and I did not see much if any improvement from the Video Essentials disc I used myself. I was very unimpressed with his calibration while I thought Eliabs made a dramatic difference.

James
post #56 of 73 Old 06-08-2018, 09:53 AM

Vincent Teoh - LG C8 vs Sony A8F

Quote:
Originally Posted by kngelv View Post
How are we to determine who is a "top calibrator"? I had Eliab from Avical calibrate a rear projection Toshiba and a Panny plasma. I later had Chad B do a different Panny plasma. Eliab spent about twice as much time on the plasma as Chad and I did not see much if any improvement from the Video Essentials disc I used myself. I was very unimpressed with his calibration while I thought Eliabs made a dramatic difference.

James

@Chad _b has done sets for me for 10 years and has always done a fantastic job , I have always had the exact opposite experience. Just goes to show ymmv with calibration .

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A

Last edited by chunon; 06-08-2018 at 10:02 AM.
post #57 of 73 Old 06-08-2018, 10:10 AM

Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked: 6052
Quote:

James
2008 says hello...

XBR65A9G / XBR65A8F / 55R615
DP-UB420 / ATV4K (3) / PS Vue
AVRX6500H / RP-8000F / RP-504C / RP-502S / FV15HP
post #58 of 73 Old 06-08-2018, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgtfreek View Post
2008 says hello...
Yes, it was between 2005 and 2009 when they were done.

James
post #59 of 73 Old 06-08-2018, 03:54 PM

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked: 3685
Quote:

James
I know both of these guys.... Chad more than Eliab (Eliab has been out of the calibration business for a decade now). RPTV is a completely different animal compared to flat panels. Overall they were far more off the mark before calibration compared to Panasonic plasmas so yeah, pre and post calibration should be dramatic.

What Panasonic plasma did Eliab calibrate compared to Chad?
post #60 of 73 Old 06-09-2018, 05:45 AM

Quote:
I know both of these guys.... Chad more than Eliab (Eliab has been out of the calibration business for a decade now). RPTV is a completely different animal compared to flat panels. Overall they were far more off the mark before calibration compared to Panasonic plasmas so yeah, pre and post calibration should be dramatic.

What Panasonic plasma did Eliab calibrate compared to Chad?
Eliab calibrated a 50PX60U and Chad calibrated a TC-P58V10. I did not mean for my earlier post to throw a shot at Chad. For all I know he may be an excellent calibrator. I know people on here seem to love him. I guess the “top” calibrator comment caught my attention plus the mention of not needing to calibrate HDR except for a “minor tweak” after calibrating SDR. Eliab spent about 5 hours calibrating my set. I remember him using at one point some black duvetyne to completely cover the set while he did some adjustments with a device he had attached to the screen. Chad had a different method that did not involve duvetyne and finished in a little over two hours. I had calibrated both sets using the Video Essentials disc from Joe a Kane. I realize the 58 might have been more accurate compared to the 50 from the factory but my amateur calibration should have gotten them somewhat close. For whatever reason I just felt Eliab’s calibration was more detailed and Chad’s felt a little rushed. I also noticed a much larger difference post calibration. Again it’s possible that the 58 was more accurate out of the box and thus Chad needed to do less and I noticed less of a difference. Again I am not intentionally trying to disparage anyone. I guess I’m just wondering how the average person finds a calibrator that will suit their needs. I am only commenting based on my limited experience.

James
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page