• 1 Post By Kasfury
  • 1 Post By KidHorn

post #1 of 16 Old 06-29-2018, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Question - Sports on OLED

Before I pull the trigger, a question. The great majority of what I watch on TV is sports (mostly hockey and football). Yes, we will watch movies and the news and an occasional reality show, but mostly sports. An OLED TV would or would not make sense for us?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-29-2018, 01:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1497 Post(s)
Liked: 1510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red975b View Post

Before I pull the trigger, a question. The great majority of what I watch on TV is sports (mostly hockey and football). Yes, we will watch movies and the news and an occasional reality show, but mostly sports. An OLED TV would or would not make sense for us?

Of course it would, sports look awesome on Oled, just make sure you use proper settings for your specific model and use the best cables. Just be aware that not all cable/sat companies are the same. Same goes for streaming. From what I've read here in the US it varies quite a lot. Some cable/sat companies are better than others, which will result in a better or worst picture. Just be aware on watching news in vivid mode for hours at end, some have reported BI. Not really an issue if you watch it normal with proper settings.

I live in Canada, and the optik cable HD company I use is very good, we are lucky to even get sports in 4K. (Look amazing) good luck in whatever you choose.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
post #3 of 16 Old 06-29-2018, 02:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1519 Post(s)
Liked: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red975b View Post

Well I find sports look great on my A1E, at least when I enable the 'live football' toggle. Without that toggle I found the hockey pretty blurry, although setting the appropriate motion processing ought to help that which is probably what the 'live football' toggle does, but that may not be desired for all content, so the toggle is handy.
N3O likes this.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 07-20-2018, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sounds like mixed responses to the original question and I am wondering the same thing. In particular, how well does the B7/C7 handle fast moving sports like hockey in particular? I currently watch a lot of sports on a 2008 Panasonic 720p plasma and am thinking of upgrading to an "affordable" OLED. But I don't want to give up the wide viewing angles and excellent motion handling of the plasma.
post #5 of 16 Old 07-20-2018, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Vivian View Post
Sounds like mixed responses to the original question and I am wondering the same thing. In particular, how well does the B7/C7 handle fast moving sports like hockey in particular? I currently watch a lot of sports on a 2008 Panasonic 720p plasma and am thinking of upgrading to an "affordable" OLED. But I don't want to give up the wide viewing angles and excellent motion handling of the plasma.
OLED's are amazing.. so rest assured, you can't go wrong

but let me go in more depth for you.. since sports is your major interest.. don't just think of the display.. THINK OF HOW THE CONTENT is delivered as well.. aka what's your source/tv provider/etc?

in other words.. and the most recent example.. The World Cup was showcased in glorious 4k..

but guess who was only able to view it that way? YUP.. DirectTV customers (and BBC users).. so for example, I who use Spectrum was only able to watch it in HD which was still amazing.. but I fight FOMO now considering DTV, Dish? FIOS? Optimum/Alltice have dedicated 4K channels

so thinking forward.. those content providers will probably cover "BIG" events in 4k.. ie: Superbowl, NBA Finals, etc etc..

so yeah.. it's not just the display but also what your provider is at this point happy hunting!

-+ I heard mono with my ears, stereo with my heart, but I heard surround with my soul - Unnamed
-+ My tastes are simple -- I am always satisfied with the best
-+ You ainÂt gotta like me, you just mad 'cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be!
post #6 of 16 Old 07-23-2018, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooglyBear View Post
OLED's are amazing.. so rest assured, you can't go wrong

but let me go in more depth for you.. since sports is your major interest.. don't just think of the display.. THINK OF HOW THE CONTENT is delivered as well.. aka what's your source/tv provider/etc?

in other words.. and the most recent example.. The World Cup was showcased in glorious 4k..

but guess who was only able to view it that way? YUP.. DirectTV customers (and BBC users).. so for example, I who use Spectrum was only able to watch it in HD which was still amazing.. but I fight FOMO now considering DTV, Dish? FIOS? Optimum/Alltice have dedicated 4K channels

so thinking forward.. those content providers will probably cover "BIG" events in 4k.. ie: Superbowl, NBA Finals, etc etc..

so yeah.. it's not just the display but also what your provider is at this point happy hunting!
That makes sense thanks. I watched the World Cup through Comcast and that's how I would be watching hockey and a gazillion other sports but hockey seems to be the toughest test for motion handling since its so fast moving and the ice is white. So given like for like sources, I assume the picture would look much better on the OLED if upscaling works well and am hoping it would handle motion as well as the plasma did. I'm now looking at the LG C8 55' since prices are coming down on that model for some reason.
post #7 of 16 Old 05-06-2019, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Wink Sports on OLED

The only time that I have actually seen a basketball game on OLED, the picture was horrible

It was an NCAA game this year on a LGC8 at Best Buy. The players looked almost robotic.
Yet the other times that I have seen this tv an other OLED's the demo loop was amazing.
Could this be changed by a setting or do all sports look this bad?

Remembering Dad's passing 01/16/2017

May God Guide and Guard the USA!
post #8 of 16 Old 05-06-2019, 01:46 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I've got two OLEDS (LG65C7 and LG65C8) and sports look great on both of them. Nothing fancy in my setup -- Technicolor picture mode with energy saving and de-judder/de-blur turned off. Some people are more sensitive to motion handling than others. You can tweak de-judder and de-blur to your liking if necessary.
post #9 of 16 Old 05-06-2019, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 223
The demo you watched may have been 120 fps footage. Most store demo material is ultra high frame rate.

I can tell you from experience that the source makes a huge difference in resolution/motion clarity. When I switched from Fios TV to Youtube TV, sports suddenly looked sharper in motion, identical to what I saw on plasma. In general though, you want to make sure black frame insertion is enabled to make sports look more lifelike. Older LG models prior to 2018 did not have this feature.

Sony 55A9F
LG 55B6
post #10 of 16 Old 05-06-2019, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I really don't know the specifics of how the games were being displayed. I don't know if they had an antenna or if it was streaming, or what
All I know is that it looked horrible. I was expecting a fantastic pictures but saw quite the opposite

Remembering Dad's passing 01/16/2017

May God Guide and Guard the USA!
post #11 of 16 Old 05-06-2019, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I stream sports on my Sony A8F with the PS Vue app and the motion and upscaling is terrific.
jb442386 likes this.

Living room: Sony 65" A8F OLED, Klipsch 5.1.2, Sony 1080 AVR, Sony X700 UHD Player, Nvidia Shield
Bedroom: Samsung 55" KS8000, Sony HT-ST5000 Dolby Atmos Soundbar, Roku Ultra
post #12 of 16 Old 05-06-2019, 09:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnewt View Post
The only time that I have actually seen a basketball game on OLED, the picture was horrible

It was an NCAA game this year on a LGC8 at Best Buy. The players looked almost robotic.
Yet the other times that I have seen this tv an other OLED's the demo loop was amazing.
Could this be changed by a setting or do all sports look this bad?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasfury View Post
I stream sports on my Sony A8F with the PS Vue app and the motion and upscaling is terrific.
Don't own an oled but do own 2 hdr 4k TV's. Both are great with 1080p and 4k content. 720p some channels look great and some look worse than my 1080p tv. I switched to youtube tv and now every station looks good to great. The OP is coming from a 720p plasma. Most sports are shown in 720p the plasmas native resolution. I'm sure there will people that dispute this I believe the TV with the contents native resolution will look better rather than upscaled from a 4k tv.
post #13 of 16 Old 05-07-2019, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1892 Post(s)
Liked: 1304
A lot of motion problems are due to bad content. I swear at times, FIOS delivers <5fps.

Having said that, Plasma is better at fast motion than OLED and LCD. Not even close.
Hetfieldjames likes this.
post #14 of 16 Old 05-07-2019, 07:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1877 Post(s)
Liked: 1181
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
A lot of motion problems are due to bad content. I swear at times, FIOS delivers <5fps.

Having said that, Plasma is better at fast motion than OLED and LCD. Not even close.
Hmm I wonder why? OLED should be the same in theory. I mean I don't own one do you would know.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
post #15 of 16 Old 05-07-2019, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad43 View Post
I've got two OLEDS (LG65C7 and LG65C8) and sports look great on both of them. Nothing fancy in my setup -- Technicolor picture mode with energy saving and de-judder/de-blur turned off. Some people are more sensitive to motion handling than others. You can tweak de-judder and de-blur to your liking if necessary.
I use the same settings on my 55" B7 and sports are great. The compression of the broadcast is the only fault I can see. I hate when I walk into sports bars and they have hockey on and you can see the puck skipping around because the LCD TV's can't cope well with the movement. Plasma is still best for broadcast sports, but OLED is right up there behind it. Once you get acquainted with the image quality of 4K content on an OLED there's no going back to anything else.
post #16 of 16 Old 05-08-2019, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
That drives me nuts watching the puck on qled. It’s the most eyes hurting experience of any sports watching. I am hoping switching to oled will fix that problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page