2018 LG B8 Owners' Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 112Likes

post #451 of 667 Old 05-14-2019, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1405 Post(s)
Liked: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
From HDMI.org:

Q: Will the existing ARC-enabled products work with new products that use eARC?
A: Maybe. Manufacturers can produce products that are compatible with both eARC and ARC. However, eARC is not defined to be backwards compatible with ARC.

So yeah, if you have an existing ARC-capable device (tv for example) and purchase or firmware upgrade a receiver to eARC, there is no guarantee that you will be able to take advantage of eARC.

Reliable eARC will probably only be achieved with hybrid fiber cables over long distances and only up to a certain point. 15m currently seems to be the maximum length, but the cable mfrs are looking at some design changes so that the reliability for 5m, 15m, and 30m is the same.
If your video signal works, eARC will work. The video signal is much higher bandwidth, the eARC is maybe 30Mbps using a channel that was designed to carry 100Mbps Ethernet. It will not be a problem. And since the negotiation isn't relying on CEC anymore, it will be much more reliable than ARC ever was (it is hard to be worse than ARC).

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 667 Old 05-14-2019, 11:12 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 388
eARC max bandwidth is about 36.8 mbps, you'll not be using that unless you are running uncompressed multichannel pcm @192 kHZ. with true hd and dts master audio, you'll be under 30 mbps. Actually many 4k BD's that are supposed to have the best audio, stay under 20mbps bitrate with their true hd or master audio tracks.

Umm, why is this eARC discussion happening in the lg B8's owners thread? i just realized im in the wrong thread.
post #453 of 667 Old 05-14-2019, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3406 Post(s)
Liked: 2459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarini View Post
eARC max bandwidth is about 36.8 mbps, you'll not be using that unless you are running uncompressed multichannel pcm @192 kHZ. with true hd and dts master audio, you'll be under 30 mbps. Actually many 4k BD's that are supposed to have the best audio, stay under 20mbps bitrate with their true hd or master audio tracks.

Umm, why is this eARC discussion happening in the lg B8's owners thread? i just realized im in the wrong thread.
We got sidetracked so I apologize for that. I do respectfully disagree with lsorensen though. There is no guarantee that an eARC device connecting to an ARC device will allow eARC functionality. Maybe that won't be an issue with hybrid fiber cables because of the copper/fiber design.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #454 of 667 Old 05-14-2019, 12:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1405 Post(s)
Liked: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
We got sidetracked so I apologize for that. I do respectfully disagree with lsorensen though. There is no guarantee that an eARC device connecting to an ARC device will allow eARC functionality. Maybe that won't be an issue with hybrid fiber cables because of the copper/fiber design.
No I think you agree. A device without eARC support will not get eARC. Both ends do need to support it. The B8 does not support it, so it won't get eARC. Nothing wrong with having future proof cables though.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #455 of 667 Old 05-14-2019, 12:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3406 Post(s)
Liked: 2459
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
No I think you agree. A device without eARC support will not get eARC. Both ends do need to support it. The B8 does not support it, so it won't get eARC. Nothing wrong with having future proof cables though.
Yeah we do. I just hadn't finished my coffee so my multi-tasking abilities were somewhat hampered Hopefully the hybrid fiber cable mfrs can work out the 30m issues with eARC.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #456 of 667 Old 05-16-2019, 06:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
OLED55B8 Freezing While Watching Prime Video HDR

Hey,
Just checking to see if anyone else has the same issue out there. Very frustrating to say the least.

It doesn't freeze all the time and it doesn't freeze either watching NetFlix 4K.

Sometimes I also get a "Not Enough Bandwidth". Doesn't make sense because I have 150Mbps, am plugged in directly in the modem and nothing else is taking bandwidth.
post #457 of 667 Old 05-18-2019, 10:50 AM

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocelyn J. Verreault View Post

Hey,
Just checking to see if anyone else has the same issue out there. Very frustrating to say the least.
taking bandwidth.
I've only had my B8 for a few weeks. Everything except the WebOS TV apps is spectacular. I was able to tweak picture settings to deal with the latest firmware gamma weirdness. So still love this TV!

I noticed right away the B8 Amazon app was just slow and crappy. I've never had much luck with on TV apps in the past, so I got a $35 (often on sale) Amazon Fire TV 4K stick. It's much much better than the on-TV apps and plays nicer with my Denon AVR.

However, if I'm playing Atmos content on Netflix I need to use the LG TV app for Atmos since the Fire TV 4K Netflix app doesn't support Atmos. What I noticed last few days is the LG TV Netflix app will buffer just for a half second or two a few times per hour. I never have that problem with Netflix app on my gazillion other devices. The TV is connected with strong signal to the very nearby Ubiquiti NanoHD access point, so it's not wifi problems or my 1 Gbps Internet bandwidth. It's the apps on the TV itself for whatever reason.

I chalk this up to the continuing reality that the latest flagship dedicated streaming devices will usually give you more frequently updated and optimized streaming apps and (with exceptions) more complete technical specs and streaming features (the overpriced Apple TV 4K being the winner there).

There's usually a period of 6 to 12 months where a new TV model's on-board apps are roughly on par with other devices, but eventually the on-TV apps become less optimized or fully featured than those on dedicated streaming devices. And, your TV has other priorities to service, where dedicated streaming devices only have one job! They usually do that job well.
post #458 of 667 Old 05-18-2019, 02:58 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 66
watching creed 2, the creeds first enterance... wow! made for OLED lol
post #459 of 667 Old 05-19-2019, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
UPDATE: I've gotten older 4K titles to play smoothly by keeping the TV setting on "Home Cinema."

However, newer titles have motion blur, as do titles streamed through the TV's YouTube App.

How do I remedy the motion blur, which is only occurring on the YouTube app streaming (don't have access to the other streaming apps - I'm not subscriber) and on newer 4K titles?

Playing around with/adjusting the de-blur/de-judder/trumotion does nothing.

I also have a BJS HDMI cord that was recommended in this thread on the way, and will be here on Wednesday.

Last edited by TheJan; 05-19-2019 at 10:18 PM.
post #460 of 667 Old 05-22-2019, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
My girlfriend just bought a 65" B8. The colors seemed a bit "off" when watching SDR content so I decided to do a calibration. It turned out that the ISF Expert modes are incredibly accurate out of the box. I just had to disable "Wide" gamut mode and set it to "Auto" to fix the colors in SDR mode and then I measured DeltaE of below 1.0 for all colors on the 24-point color checker! RGB balance and gamma curves were dead flat too. (EDIT: Ny default, ISF Bright is calibrated to Gamma 2.2 and ISF Dark is BT.1886) My hat goes off to LG for such accuracy from the factory.

So if all B8s are created equal, it seems you don't really need to do a calibration. Here are my steps to getting a 90-95% calibration without buying any equipment or hiring anyone. I'm guessing this applies to all X8 and X9 LG OLEDs.

1. Reset to factory defaults.
    • While playing some SDR content, set picture mode to ISF Expert (Bright or Dark as appropriate)
    • Change color gamut from "Wide" to "Auto"
    • Set OLED light to 40-60 for ISF Bright Mode and 15-25 for ISF Dark Mode
    • Set sharpness to your taste (0-10) recommended
    • Set Trumotion to your taste. I prefer "Off"
    • (Optional) Set noise and MPEG to "Auto" to clean up most SDR content (DVD, Cable TV etc.)
    • Apply to all inputs
    • While playing some HDR content, set picture mode to ISF Expert (Bright or Dark as appropriate)
    • Set OLED light to 100
    • Apply to all inputs
    • While playing some Dolby Vision content, set picture mode to ISF Expert (Bright or Dark as appropriate)
    • Set OLED light to 100
    • Apply to all inputs

If you're watching built-in apps like Netflix, "Apply to all inputs" may not work. You might have to repeat the above steps for those.

That's it. It won't be perfect but it will be remarkably close. From there, all you can really do as a calibrator is obsess over gamma and shadow detail or chase that last 1-2% which may not even be visible.
WLSINWI likes this.

Last edited by Redmist; 06-14-2019 at 03:30 PM.
post #461 of 667 Old 05-23-2019, 06:50 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Looks good, just 2 notes:
- leave sharpness at default 10 (0 softens the image)
- DV OLED light: wasn't the initial (and recommended) setting 50 for DV?
Redmist likes this.

Ryzen 5 2600,Asus Prime b450-Plus,16GB,MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB(v385.28),Win10 LTSB 1607,MPC-BEx64+LAV+MadVR,Yamaha RX-A870,LG OLED65B8(04.10.25+PC4:4:[email protected]/24/25/29/30/50/59/60Hz)
post #462 of 667 Old 05-23-2019, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 112
DV OLED Light: 50 was default in my case and is ideal in my tests, due to how DV works. Your brightest points won't get any brighter by increasing that.

The "Apply to all inputs" thing is really annoying. It has to be done on each app and every format. LG seems obsessed with forcing the soap opera effect, forcing you one by one to disable True Motion on every source and format.

While I've always disabled all motion handling on all my TVs, on the B8 I have settled on User: De-Judder = 1, everything else 0, which seems to hit the sweet spot for my eyes.
chros73 likes this.
post #463 of 667 Old 05-23-2019, 09:53 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 4
I posted this in the past but did not get many responses and was hopeful it would be corrected in a software update but it is still happening. The color temperature for my set (65B8) works sporadically. After the TV has been on for a bit or switching to an HDR/DV source from SDR, my color temperature will not have any impact when I switch from warm 1 to 2, it almost seems like the CMS system stops working. I have even noticed the color temperature slider on Game mode would have no impact on the picture at all. The only solution is to unplug the TV which fixes the problem temporarily. Has anyone else come across this behavior? The easiest way I have been able to replicate the behavior is to change the color temp on SDR content a few times and then switch to the YouTube app and try and change the color temp on an HDR video or DV on Netflix. I have tried a factory reset along with manually updating the software to the most recent. I called LG support and they did not provide any help besides suggesting I have a tech come out. If I can not find a solution that would be my next step.

Thanks,

Mike
post #464 of 667 Old 05-23-2019, 09:56 AM

Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike0908 View Post
I posted this in the past but did not get many responses and was hopeful it would be corrected in a software update but it is still happening. The color temperature for my set (65B8) works sporadically. After the TV has been on for a bit or switching to an HDR/DV source from SDR, my color temperature will not have any impact when I switch from warm 1 to 2, it almost seems like the CMS system stops working. I have even noticed the color temperature slider on Game mode would have no impact on the picture at all. The only solution is to unplug the TV which fixes the problem temporarily. Has anyone else come across this behavior? The easiest way I have been able to replicate the behavior is to change the color temp on SDR content a few times and then switch to the YouTube app and try and change the color temp on an HDR video or DV on Netflix. I have tried a factory reset along with manually updating the software to the most recent. I called LG support and they did not provide any help besides suggesting I have a tech come out. If I can not find a solution that would be my next step.

Thanks,

Mike
Have you tried turning off quckstart +?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
post #465 of 667 Old 05-23-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocelyn J. Verreault View Post

Hey,

It doesn't freeze all the time and it doesn't freeze either watching NetFlix 4K.

Sometimes I also get a "Not Enough Bandwidth". Doesn't make sense because I have 150Mbps, am plugged in directly in the modem and nothing else is taking bandwidth.

I was having issues with Netflix DV content giving me an error, same on Vudu. The video would stop after a few minutes, the only way to watch a whole DV show was to unplug the TV. It has been working fine the past month or so, I am not sure if that is due to an update with the TV's software or an app update.
post #466 of 667 Old 05-23-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_cass View Post

I believe I have quick start off but I will check when I get home.
post #467 of 667 Old 05-23-2019, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
If you are still considering this set you better get off the fence now. BB is blowing theirs out to make room for the B9's in June and no discounts on those until BF. I walked into BB this morning and picked up the only B8 65inch in the store not on a wall new in box with next day delivery.

Last edited by WLSINWI; 05-23-2019 at 01:55 PM.
post #468 of 667 Old 05-23-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_cass View Post

Confirmed quick start is off. Has anyone else had this happen before or can they see if their set shows the same behavior.

Thanks
post #469 of 667 Old 05-23-2019, 09:04 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterfram View Post
DV OLED Light: 50 was default in my case and is ideal in my tests, due to how DV works. Your brightest points won't get any brighter by increasing that.
Has this been confirmed? I increased OLED light and, unlike in SDR mode, it didn't have much effect on the average light level so I just assumed it was increasing the peak. Another user recommended in another thread to set OLED light to 100 for HDR/DV modes to give maximum peak headroom. I believe it now defaults to 100 for DV on the latest firmware for the C9 from what I've read.
post #470 of 667 Old 05-23-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmist View Post
Has this been confirmed? I increased OLED light and, unlike in SDR mode, it didn't have much effect on the average light level so I just assumed it was increasing the peak. Another user recommended in another thread to set OLED light to 100 for HDR/DV modes to give maximum peak headroom. I believe it now defaults to 100 for DV on the latest firmware for the C9 from what I've read.
Defaults to 50 on my set for DV and 100 for HDR.
post #471 of 667 Old 05-24-2019, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Confirmed quick start is off. Has anyone else had this happen before or can they see if their set shows the same behavior.
I'll check it during the weekend (I only use PC mode (SDR and HDR10 as well) otherwise due to having chroma 4:4:4).
Which firmware version are you on? (I rolled back to 4.10.25 couple of weeks ago.)

Ryzen 5 2600,Asus Prime b450-Plus,16GB,MSI GTX 1060 Gaming X 6GB(v385.28),Win10 LTSB 1607,MPC-BEx64+LAV+MadVR,Yamaha RX-A870,LG OLED65B8(04.10.25+PC4:4:[email protected]/24/25/29/30/50/59/60Hz)

Last edited by chros73; 05-24-2019 at 02:00 AM.
post #472 of 667 Old 05-24-2019, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros73 View Post
I'll check it during the weekend (I only use PC mode (SDR and HDR10 as well) otherwise due to having chroma 4:4:4).
Which firmware version are you on? (I rolled back to 4.10.25 couple of weeks ago.)

Thanks I appreciate it. I am on 04.10.65 but the problem has persisted since I purchased the TV back in November.
chros73 likes this.
post #473 of 667 Old 05-26-2019, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Thanks I appreciate it. I am on 04.10.65 but the problem has persisted since I purchased the TV back in November.
I couldn't replicate your issue, it works fine for me:
- in SDR ISF Dark Room I swapped warm2 and warm1 around 10 times
- fired up youtube with an HDR content in Cinema preset then swapped them again: no issues

post #474 of 667 Old 05-26-2019, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chros73 View Post
I couldn't replicate your issue, it works fine for me:
- in SDR ISF Dark Room I swapped warm2 and warm1 around 10 times
- fired up youtube with an HDR content in Cinema preset then swapped them again: no issues
Thanks for testing, I appreciate it. Looks like I will have to schedule a service call.

Mike
chros73 likes this.
post #475 of 667 Old 05-27-2019, 02:56 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 66
i wonder is LG will ever improve color banding in PC Mode 4:4:4
post #476 of 667 Old 05-27-2019, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
After clinging to my LG plasma for 9 years I had to give her up last week. Enter the B865.
So far so good but, I have to admit, even as a self-proclaimed AV geek I’m a bit daunted by all the picture settings. Even more so that each input, and they’re particular output(s), can be set independently.

My setup consists of:

ALL fed through MarantzAV7701 (NO SCALING) to HDMI4 on TV
DirecTV (not 4K)
AppleTV (not 4K)
Blu-ray

Internal WEBOS for Netflix, Prime and VUDU primarily with optical out to Marantz.

Any tips for the best settings for my particular setup? Thanks gents!
post #477 of 667 Old 05-27-2019, 05:23 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Snagged one of these on closeout at BB today. Amazing picture. I went in for a Sony X900F and came home with this.

After reading a little more on this set, now I am worried about the possibility of burn in.

I watch sports essentially 24/7. Once college football comes around, I could watch a few games in a row and run the risk of burning in the ABC, SEC, or ESPN logo.

Am I overanalyzing this or is this a realistic concern that I should think about before my 14 day return window is up?
post #478 of 667 Old 05-27-2019, 08:34 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDHawks View Post
Snagged one of these on closeout at BB today. Amazing picture. I went in for a Sony X900F and came home with this.

After reading a little more on this set, now I am worried about the possibility of burn in.

I watch sports essentially 24/7. Once college football comes around, I could watch a few games in a row and run the risk of burning in the ABC, SEC, or ESPN logo.

Am I overanalyzing this or is this a realistic concern that I should think about before my 14 day return window is up?

Fears of burn in are overrated. Keep it and enjoy it. which did you get the 55 or 65? I snagged a 65 but haven't set it up yet
post #479 of 667 Old 05-28-2019, 02:15 AM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 6
65”
post #480 of 667 Old 05-28-2019, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegam3 View Post
i wonder is LG will ever improve color banding in PC Mode 4:4:4
That's a good question, probably not since almost all the processing is disabled in the chip, so B8 and C8 is really close using PC mode.
I only use PC mode, nvidia gpu, Full, RGB output ( + madvr dithering):
- 12 bit (since 10 bit selection is not available in the driver): the banding is not that bad with SDR content (although you can clearly see it on a test pattern from a normal viewing distance) but it's huge using HDR
- 8 bit: no visible banding in SDR but still big banding in HDR

So, I use 12 bit output, since there's only a small visible difference between 8 bit vs 12 bit in certain modes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
oled , television

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page