AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   OLED Technology and Flat Panels General (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/)
-   -   Sony Master Series A9F OLED and Z9F LED-LCD 4K HDR TVs Debut (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/2993590-sony-master-series-a9f-oled-z9f-led-lcd-4k-hdr-tvs-debut.html)

Scott Wilkinson 07-31-2018 09:13 AM

Sony Master Series A9F OLED and Z9F LED-LCD 4K HDR TVs Debut

At a press conference in New York City today, the Sony Master Series of 4K HDR TVs was unveiled. According to the press release, the goal is to "create a TV capable of displaying images that faithfully convey the creators' intent. Sony's new Master Series provides picture quality approaching that of a professional-grade monitor in a movie studio and was developed by following a very strict set of product-evaluation criteria by its most experienced picture-quality engineers."

The Master Series includes two new models: the A9F OLED and Z9F LED-LCD.

Click here for more...

gorman42 07-31-2018 09:14 AM

I'm not sure Sony is bringing enough to the table to warrant the higher prices. Curious about the motion improvements (although it seems it's LCD only, so maybe movement stays identical to AF8).

Ambrosia 07-31-2018 09:22 AM

They better do something with that slow ass mediatek soc, it's a disgrace.
More pictures of the new sets: https://tweakers.net/nieuws/141567/s...-modellen.html & Dutch page https://www.sony.nl/electronics/televisies/af9-series

Eternal Noob 07-31-2018 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gorman42 (Post 56569758)
I'm not sure Sony is bringing enough to the table to warrant the higher prices. Curious about the motion improvements (although it seems it's LCD only, so maybe movement stays identical to AF8).

What higher prices?

imagic 07-31-2018 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eternal Noob (Post 56569842)
What higher prices?

No pricing has been discussed.

imagic 07-31-2018 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gorman42 (Post 56569758)

One thing I gather... Sony is now able to blink discrete FALD zones that correlate to high motion. That means it does not have to blink the whole screen to get better motion clarity, so overall the image stays brighter

Eternal Noob 07-31-2018 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagic (Post 56569852)
No pricing has been discussed.

Exactly.

imagic 07-31-2018 09:40 AM

This is a huge deal. So long "hope I get a good panel"

Sony says each Z9F panel will be factory calibrated for uniformity, which evidently is a process that can only be done in the factory.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/image...0907e100de.jpg

soundping 07-31-2018 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagic (Post 56569862)
One thing I gather... Sony is now able to blink discrete FALD zones that correlate to high motion. That means it does not have to blink the whole screen to get better motion clarity, so overall the image stays brighter

you are talking of x motion clarity on the z9f, feature is already there on the x900f released earlier this year. something like this is not possible on oled because it needs a backlight system to work.

imagic 07-31-2018 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundping (Post 56569928)
ou are taling of x motion clarity on the z9f, feature is already there on the x900f released earlier this year. something like this is not possible on oled because it needs a backlight system to work.

Yep, that's what I am talking about. But with many more zones than X900F so the blinking can be better localized

bobbino421 07-31-2018 09:47 AM

I’m starting to think this is going to more expensive than the YouTube rumor for Z9F the way they are laying this out?

Eternal Noob 07-31-2018 09:47 AM

Are you at the conference right now, Mark? If so, have you seen the Z9F viewing angles that Sony is talking up? Dare you hazard any estimates about whether they really are substantially improved? (*waggles eyebrows*)

DIVCorp 07-31-2018 09:50 AM

I'm already annoyed... did they really need to change the stand on the Z9 series to this ultra wide nonsense?

urgru 07-31-2018 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundping (Post 56569928)
you are talking of x motion clarity on the z9f, feature is already there on the x900f released earlier this year. something like this is not possible on oled because it needs a backlight system to work.

XMotion is souped up, zone-specific BFI. OLED's can do BFI and could do this, too, but it probably wouldn't work nearly as well since LG Display panels are 120hz vs. LED backlights that are pulse modulating at much higher frequencies to control light levels. There's also the question of what kind of computing is required by XMotion. 8m+ individual pixels vs a few dozen (900F) or hundred (Z9F) zones may make a huge difference there.

soundping 07-31-2018 09:53 AM

It would be better if sony could do factory testing on the oled panels on the a9f. i doubt near black uniformity issues are going to be much different on the a9f than on the oleds already out there, meaning they will still be present and panel lottery will still be a thing with the a9f, the tv is using a 2018 panel from lg like the a8f. Near black uniformity is not be going to be resolved until lg display shifts from the current vapour deposition method to manufacture oleds and that is the unfortunate reality.

imagic 07-31-2018 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eternal Noob (Post 56569960)
Are you at the conference right now, Mark? If so, have you seen the Z9F viewing angles that Sony is talking up? Dare you hazard any estimates about whether they really are substantially improved? (*waggles eyebrows*)

Yeah side by side. Very massive improvement in preserving color, contrast, hue. Performs like an IPS panel when it comes to off angle, looks like VA when it comes to contrast.

drewTT 07-31-2018 09:53 AM

The kickstand is back? wtf Sony...

imagic 07-31-2018 09:54 AM

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/image...09373af4eb.jpg

Sony is saying a full calibration will take 10 minutes. And yes that includes CMS.

Eternal Noob 07-31-2018 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagic (Post 56569986)
Yeah side by side. Very massive improvement in preserving color, contrast, hue. Performs like an IPS panel when it comes to off angle, looks like VA when it comes to contrast.

You do realize you just cost me a very large sum of money, right?

Thank you indeed, Mark. This is excellent news--I have waited years for this issue to get fixed in the FALD TVs.

EDIT: So now we have (1) viewing angles, (2) motion resolution, and (3) full CMS controls all aggressively addressed in the Z9F line. For the first time in a long time, I am impressed.

O2BGolfn 07-31-2018 09:57 AM

Nice! I suppose the A1E will be discontinued ? So happy to see that you can use the TV speaker(s) as a center channel in a surround sound system ! I have not understood why this was not available on either the LG or Sony sets from the beginning. Looking forward to hearing the price. From the looks I can't see it being too much more expensive than the A8.

soundping 07-31-2018 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urgru (Post 56569970)
XMotion is souped up, zone-specific BFI. OLED's can do BFI and could do this, too, but it probably wouldn't work nearly as well since LG Display panels are 120hz vs. LED backlights that are pulse modulating at much higher frequencies to control light levels. There's also the question of what kind of computing is required by XMotion. 8m+ individual pixels vs a few dozen (900F) or hundred (Z9F) zones may make a huge difference there.

x motion clarity relies on backlight blinking, how are you going to go about on oled by inserting black frames, okay come back when you have native 1000hz panels lol to try making this work. the bfi implentation currently on oleds is poor enough in itself, dont go on thinking about this feature on oled.

bootymonger 07-31-2018 10:00 AM

There were "leaked" prices in the other thread. It's possible that the reaction there and other places exposed to the leaked prices made them say nothing today and not do pre-orders. People said the leaked OLED price seemed high and the Z9F price seemed reasonable. But, that's all speculation based on info that may or may not be correct. I look forward to more details about these sets (which Mediatek SoC, how much RAM, etc.).

Netflix mode seems to be marketing hype, but if Netflix is subsidizing the TV by having that and the remote button, I have no objection.

Speaking of the remote, any pictures of that around?

Hopefully they let calibrators play with them at/after this event.

New stand for A8F looks different from A1E stand, but same concept.

Also, I think the "wide stance" stand on the Z9F is to accommodate the Z9F soundbar.

soundping 07-31-2018 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagic (Post 56569986)

does the z9f support a full gloss screen or still stuck with the semi gloss of the z9d?

peterlee 07-31-2018 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagic (Post 56569918)

Sony says each Z9F panel will be factory calibrated for uniformity, which evidently is a process that can only be done in the factory.

Only the Z9F will be factory calibrated? Not the A9F?

Some more details from Vincent Teoh's writeup of the introduction the Z9F:

- no HDMI 2.1 or variable refresh rate.
- eARC supported
- all four HDMI 2.0b ports are full-bandwidth
- 6-color, 3-axis CMS, white balance upped from 10 to 20 points
- HDR10, HLG and Dolby Vision support

https://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/n/Sony-Launch-New

imagic 07-31-2018 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterlee (Post 56570076)
Only the Z9F will be factory calibrated? Not the A9F?

Some more details from Vincent Teoh's writeup of the introduction:

https://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/n/Sony-Launch-New

I do not know but should be able to find out

alexanderg823 07-31-2018 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imagic (Post 56569918)

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/image...0907e100de.jpg

what.

does this mean DSE and banding are no longer going to be an issue?

imagic 07-31-2018 10:23 AM

Q9FN on left, Z9F on right, mastering monitor underneath.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/image...09aad3b2ed.jpg

Eternal Noob 07-31-2018 10:25 AM

^^^ The shadow details still seem not quite perfect, as I'd expect them not to be with FALD, but man, those colors just look bang on.

drewTT 07-31-2018 10:25 AM

^yikes..game, set, match Sony.

GooglyBear 07-31-2018 10:29 AM

surprised no one mentioned it..

A9F
55 - 65 - $4000 $5500

Z9F
65 - 75 - $3500 $6000

:eek: