Philips 2017/2018 OLEDs - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1 of 35 Old 08-08-2018, 02:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Post Philips 2018 (OLED973, OLED873, OLED803, OLED903)

There are 3 models available (or coming soon) from 55 to 65inches, all using the same P5 processor and include Ambilight.

55POS9002 Introduced already last year, got a bunch of awards
65OLED873 This one seems to be the same as 55POS9002 (but in 65inches) with the new model number (possibly to avoid the funny [P]iece-[O]f-[S]h** mentions)

65OLED973 JBL soundbar, otherwise same tech as in the 55POS9002/65OLED873

Now the interesting part to me, these newer ones are just starting to become available (I saw a review on a dutch website). They have a super minimalist sexy design IMO, and they use the 2018 LG panels while the others seem to be still using 2017's panels. From that review I read it's also supposed to have a new processing feature on the P5 chip, to turn SDR image into a more HDR-like image (it had mixed results, darker scenes seem to suffer, while daylight scenes had great improvements). Now, these were announced to be the entry-line models, but since they're new they seem to be coming in with quite high prices: the 55inch for around 2300-2800€ and the 65inch I only saw at close to 4000€

55OLED803
65OLED803

Has anyone acquired any of these, how are they performing? Or anyone looking forward to get one of them?

Last edited by mankomoo; 08-18-2018 at 05:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 08-08-2018, 07:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1583 Post(s)
Liked: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by mankomoo View Post
Now the interesting part to me, these newer ones are just starting to become available (I saw a review on a dutch website). They have a super minimalist sexy design IMO, and they use the 2018 LG panels while the others seem to be still using 2017's panels. From that review I read it's also supposed to have a new processing feature on the P5 chip, to turn SDR image into a more HDR-like image (it had mixed results, darker scenes seem to suffer, while daylight scenes had great improvements). Now, these were announced to be the entry-line models, but since they're new they seem to be coming in with quite high prices: the 55inch for around 2300-2800€ and the 65inch I only saw at close to 4000€

LG is using 2018 panels, Sony is using 2018 panels, I believe Panasonic is using 2018 panels. In fact I haven't heard of anyone that isn't. I don't think LG makes 2017 panels anymore, and given how many TVs they sold I doubt they have a pile left over. Now if a few of the smaller selling brands have some leftover from last year I guess they might still be using them up.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #3 of 35 Old 08-08-2018, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
LG is using 2018 panels, Sony is using 2018 panels, I believe Panasonic is using 2018 panels. In fact I haven't heard of anyone that isn't. I don't think LG makes 2017 panels anymore, and given how many TVs they sold I doubt they have a pile left over. Now if a few of the smaller selling brands have some leftover from last year I guess they might still be using them up.

It seems like I got mixed up, according to the 973 review in https://www.homecinemamagazine.nl/20...ed973-oled-tv/ only the 973 is using the 2017 panels. Note that the 973 already came out earlier in the year, so that is totally plausible, specially considering that Philips is not available globally. I am not sure if the 873 came out after, and the 803 only now is starting to become available (my local store will have them towards the end of August).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old 08-08-2018, 08:37 AM - Thread Starter

Just found out that they will have a new model OLED903 looking similar to the sexy 803 but with a soundbar https://ifworlddesignguide.com/entry...ps-903-oled-tv
post #5 of 35 Old 08-08-2018, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi mankomoo,

I have the POS9002 OLED. I chose it over the LG b7/c7 because at the time my local retailers had a deal on it so it was quite a bit cheaper than the LGs (which is strange since I think the launch price was higher) Anyway, I am very satisfied with the set. My previous TVs were Panasonic UT50 and ST60 plasmas and I think the OLED is big improvement. Here are some things to consider with the Philips OLEDs:

they do not support Dolby Vision. They do have HDR10+ which came with a recent software update. The POS9002 did not get updated. I thought I would get the update because 65OLED873 did, and it is the same TV, only bigger.

no HBO GO app available

Amazon Prime Video is available, but it does not have UHD and HDR.

Android TV can be laggy and unresponsive. It happens rarely and generally the interface is very fast, but people who have also used LG's web OS prefer it over Android TV

Ambilight seems like a cool feature and some people claim there are benefits to bias lightning. I still haven't played around with it much and usually leave it off.

Some reviewers state that the motion on the Philips is better than on the LG, but I am not sure if this is only when using motion "enhancements". I personally keep these disabled.

Philips (like Sony) do not offer as much controls on picture settings as LG or other brands. This does not seem to be an issue because you can get very accurate image with the provided options.

The input lag on the 9002 and maybe the other Philips models is higher than LG's. Although I do not notice any lag when playing on PS4 Pro.

And some overall positive impressions: Blu Rays, both SD and UHD HDR look amazing. Streaming is also very very nice. I am impressed with HDR shows on Netflix, I did not expect streaming to look this good. HDR gaming is also great. Cable and SD look good, I do not notice any major difference between the OLED and my old plasma. Maybe if I had them side by side, but I don't have the plasma anymore so I cannot do a direct comparison.

Also you should search on EU sites and forums for more info on the Philips OLEDs. They are not sold in the US, and most of avsforum users are based in the US.

Let me know if you have any questions on the 9002.
post #6 of 35 Old 08-08-2018, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastianshaw View Post
Great article!

But no soundbar? That's not cool
The 973 has one! And the new one they will announce at IFA, the 903, also has a soundbar according to the picture in the ifworlddesign page :P
post #7 of 35 Old 08-08-2018, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
It seems like I got mixed up, according to the 973 review in https://www.homecinemamagazine.nl/20...ed973-oled-tv/ only the 973 is using the 2017 panels. Note that the 973 already came out earlier in the year, so that is totally plausible, specially considering that Philips is not available globally. I am not sure if the 873 came out after, and the 803 only now is starting to become available (my local store will have them towards the end of August).
The 873 that has been reviewed also had a 2017 panel (doesn't mean that the latest production batch couldn't have a 2018 panel); pretty sure it was available before the 973 was.
The P5 processor has been getting good reviews and in the HDTV Test/Vincent Teoh World Cup guide he thought the motion on Philips OLED's was the best for sports ... Usually it's the software support and updates that are the weakest part with Philips.

The 803 should become one of the cheapest OLED's available (msrp/rrp in the review says €2199 for the 55")
post #8 of 35 Old 08-08-2018, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1901 Post(s)
Liked: 1307
Are these just re-branded LGs? Or do they distinguish themselves in some way?
post #9 of 35 Old 08-08-2018, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1583 Post(s)
Liked: 926
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

Different electronics and software, and some of them have lights on the back. They are certainly not rebranded LGs anymore than the Sonys or Panasonics are.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #10 of 35 Old 08-08-2018, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post

What do you mean with that, rebranded? Philips is it's own brand, they even make their own image processing chip called P5 which got great reviews. Basically all the consumer OLED TVs you can buy right now (Sony, Panasonic, Philips, LG) use LG Displays (a sub "brand" within LG). Each branch then creates their own design, sound capabilities, image/video processing and software experiences. The image differences you see on current oleds between brands are basically due to each different brand processing methods/chips (At least that is how I understand it!)
post #11 of 35 Old 08-08-2018, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanayotov View Post
Hi mankomoo,

I have the POS9002 OLED. I chose it over the LG b7/c7 because at the time my local retailers had a deal on it so it was quite a bit cheaper than the LGs (which is strange since I think the launch price was higher) Anyway, I am very satisfied with the set. My previous TVs were Panasonic UT50 and ST60 plasmas and I think the OLED is big improvement. Here are some things to consider with the Philips OLEDs:

they do not support Dolby Vision. They do have HDR10+ which came with a recent software update. The POS9002 did not get updated. I thought I would get the update because 65OLED873 did, and it is the same TV, only bigger.

no HBO GO app available

Amazon Prime Video is available, but it does not have UHD and HDR.

Android TV can be laggy and unresponsive. It happens rarely and generally the interface is very fast, but people who have also used LG's web OS prefer it over Android TV

Ambilight seems like a cool feature and some people claim there are benefits to bias lightning. I still haven't played around with it much and usually leave it off.

Some reviewers state that the motion on the Philips is better than on the LG, but I am not sure if this is only when using motion "enhancements". I personally keep these disabled.

Philips (like Sony) do not offer as much controls on picture settings as LG or other brands. This does not seem to be an issue because you can get very accurate image with the provided options.

The input lag on the 9002 and maybe the other Philips models is higher than LG's. Although I do not notice any lag when playing on PS4 Pro.

And some overall positive impressions: Blu Rays, both SD and UHD HDR look amazing. Streaming is also very very nice. I am impressed with HDR shows on Netflix, I did not expect streaming to look this good. HDR gaming is also great. Cable and SD look good, I do not notice any major difference between the OLED and my old plasma. Maybe if I had them side by side, but I don't have the plasma anymore so I cannot do a direct comparison.

Also you should search on EU sites and forums for more info on the Philips OLEDs. They are not sold in the US, and most of avsforum users are based in the US.

Let me know if you have any questions on the 9002.
Hey @spanayotov thanks for the great summary!

Yes the HDR situation right now seems to be you either get one or another.. You should have gotten the update, I think I read somewhere that the POS9002 got that, maybe it's just distributed slowly through each different region or something. Anyway just getting regular HDR10 will already provide a great experience, and then if the royalty-free HDR10+ gets more adoption, great!

The Amazon prime video does not show any HDR logos from what I understood (even on the LGs for example) but it might be streaming in HDR. Hopefully they improve the app sooner than later to be able to distinguish all of that. And HBO Go I don't use, so that is not a problem for me for now at least

Regarding the Androind TV performance, it seems to be the recurring topic on the Philips/Sonys that use it, and they even use the same hardware.. laggy but I hope it works well enough. I do want to ask, can you play 4k videos from the YouTube app? I read somewhere that it was not supported due to the youtube codec or something :s Anyway I have an Nvidia Shield that handles that very well, so I could always use it for youtube xD

Also the input lag does not worry me at all because I rarely (strong rarely) game on my tv, and even if I would start to do it more (big display + hdr + ambilight? wow effect) it would not be any kind of competitive gaming... I don't know how people focus on that so much, I am sure 80% or more would not notice any difference between 35ms or 50ms of input lag while into the game. As you say you do not notice any problem!

The image quality that you mention is all thanks to Philips P5 processing chip, it got great reviews and seems to be really good for streaming content and motion I don't know if you knew about this, but a friend website made a "blind" test last year and your POS9002 was the winner https://www.avforums.com/news/philip...shootout.14195
post #12 of 35 Old 08-08-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Hey @spanayotov thanks for the great summary!

Yes the HDR situation right now seems to be you either get one or another.. You should have gotten the update, I think I read somewhere that the POS9002 got that, maybe it's just distributed slowly through each different region or something. Anyway just getting regular HDR10 will already provide a great experience, and then if the royalty-free HDR10+ gets more adoption, great!

The Amazon prime video does not show any HDR logos from what I understood (even on the LGs for example) but it might be streaming in HDR. Hopefully they improve the app sooner than later to be able to distinguish all of that. And HBO Go I don't use, so that is not a problem for me for now at least

Regarding the Androind TV performance, it seems to be the recurring topic on the Philips/Sonys that use it, and they even use the same hardware.. laggy but I hope it works well enough. I do want to ask, can you play 4k videos from the YouTube app? I read somewhere that it was not supported due to the youtube codec or something :s Anyway I have an Nvidia Shield that handles that very well, so I could always use it for youtube xD

Also the input lag does not worry me at all because I rarely (strong rarely) game on my tv, and even if I would start to do it more (big display + hdr + ambilight? wow effect) it would not be any kind of competitive gaming... I don't know how people focus on that so much, I am sure 80% or more would not notice any difference between 35ms or 50ms of input lag while into the game. As you say you do not notice any problem!

The image quality that you mention is all thanks to Philips P5 processing chip, it got great reviews and seems to be really good for streaming content and motion I don't know if you knew about this, but a friend website made a "blind" test last year and your POS9002 was the winner
I am almost certain the Amazon Prime Video app on the Philips does not support HDR. When the TV detects HDR signal, "HDR" icon appears at the lower right corner of the screen. No icon shows when I try to play HDR shows on the Prime app.

Regarding to your question about YouTube - Yes, you can watch 4k videos with the TV's YouTube app, no HDR though.

I read avforums and I am familiar with this test. It seems Philips/TP Vision did a good jobs with the OLEDs. I hope they gain traction on the market. Competition is always good.

It would be interesting to know how the P5 processor compares to Sony TVs as Sony's image processing is considered to be very good, but I can't find any such tests..
post #13 of 35 Old 08-08-2018, 02:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Amazon Prime app onboard the LG OLEDs shows the "HDR" badge when it is working. Marvelous Miss Maisel, for example.

Amazon makes it particularly circuitous to get to UHD material through the app so I bet some people don't realize shows like Bosch or Marvelous Miss Maisel are available to them in 4K.

LG 55 C8 OLED | Blue Sky eXo 2.1 | Apple 4K TV | DirecTV Now | Noisy Neighbors
post #14 of 35 Old 08-08-2018, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanayotov View Post
It would be interesting to know how the P5 processor compares to Sony TVs as Sony's image processing is considered to be very good, but I can't find any such tests..
There is a German video review of the AF8 vs the 873 iirc and the Philips comes out quite well but Sony still rules when it comes to toning down the soap opera effect

post #15 of 35 Old 08-09-2018, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperLion View Post
Amazon Prime app onboard the LG OLEDs shows the "HDR" badge when it is working. Marvelous Miss Maisel, for example.

Amazon makes it particularly circuitous to get to UHD material through the app so I bet some people don't realize shows like Bosch or Marvelous Miss Maisel are available to them in 4K.
First of all I just want to say: The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel <3 Great show!

So you do get an HDR notification in the LGs, that's great, I thought it was an overall problem with the Amazon app that didn't show anywhere. Maybe it was specific to HDR10+ and not any HDR like I was thinking, the HDR10+ I am pretty sure it was not working correctly yet -_-

Thanks spanayotov, good to hear that 4k youtube works Like the video that mithras1 posted (I actually have tried to watch it before with auto-translated subtitles, but it's a mess lol) the only comparisons we would be able to find would be in different European languages. If anyone finds a nice written article about that comparison please do share! Then at least a translated article would read quite well.
post #16 of 35 Old 08-14-2018, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

The OLED903 model is now being listed on the european Philips websites (using UK for english purposes) https://www.philips.co.uk/c-p/65OLED...sided/overview

I didn't know what was the difference for this PPI but these new models 803/903 list a "4500 Picture Performance Index" while the 873 has 4100 and the POS9002 has 3800.

I found this, which seems to point to more processing features -> higher score, but then we want most of the processing disabled for a more natural image
Quote:
The display capacity of frames per second (Hertz) that can be shown on a TV screen, influences the picture quality. To measure the total performance of the TV’s picture display, the shown frames per second and additional picture enhancement features of the TV are taken into account. A dedicated index was developed for Philips TV models to measure the complete picture quality, called the Picture Performance Index (PPI).

A PPI score combines display technology and advanced Philips video processing techniques to improve the quality of each picture frame. The higher the PPI score, the better the picture performance is.
https://philips-tvconsumercare.kxond...n/Faq/All/5276
post #17 of 35 Old 08-15-2018, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Philips grabbed two awards from EISA (European Imaging and Sound Association)! The 803 took the "Best Buy OLED TV" and the 903 the "Home Theater TV" award. I wonder how they decide on the "best buy" because right now the only price I find for the 65'' 803 is close to 4000€ xD (more expensive than even an LG C8 without any discounts here)

Source: https://www.eisa.eu/awards/home-theatre-display-video/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	philips-EISA.PNG
Views:	22
Size:	367.1 KB
ID:	2442092  
post #18 of 35 Old 08-18-2018, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

New very positive review on the 55OLED803 from pocket-lint (but nothing new, more details already covered in the Dutch review posted poreviously).
The price seems to be around 2000£ in the UK for the 55inch version, not bad!

https://www.pocket-lint.com/tv/revie...view-ambilight
post #19 of 35 Old 09-03-2018, 02:23 AM - Thread Starter

HDTVTest's Vicent Teoh has a first look at the Philips 903 (seems very positive)
post #20 of 35 Old 09-03-2018, 07:35 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Those B&W speakers look great, I bet this tv will have some of the punchiest bass ever from tv speakers. the design looks good of the 903, especially the remote. picture is good though doesn't seem an upgrade over the 803 or last year's 8002.
why is Philips still stuck to the european market, why are they not selling oleds in other territories, they lose out on potential sales.
post #21 of 35 Old 09-03-2018, 07:50 AM - Thread Starter

I don't know! Here in Europe there's many brands offering OLED TVs, just a dew days ago I found out that even Toshiba has some models (I think they're pretty basic, no idea about the app support and image processing, but still!). Some examples that I know are Panasonic, Philips, Toshiba and Grundig. Probably entering the US market is too difficult and expensive, just for stock management must be hard..

The picture quality on the 803 and 903 is going to be exactly the same, the only difference is the 903 premium sound
post #22 of 35 Old 09-25-2018, 11:37 AM

Vincent's review review of the Philips 803 is up. I cannot post links yet, but it's on the HDTVTest youtube channel as usual.

It is the same TV as the 903, but without the Bowers & Wilkins soundbar. He says it can produce the "most impactful" HDR pricture he's seen on any OLED TV so far.

Interesting option to consider when shopping for OLED in Europe or other regions where Philips/TP Vision sells these.
post #23 of 35 Old 09-27-2018, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

post #24 of 35 Old 10-08-2018, 06:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked: 452
This review https://www.lesnumeriques.com/tv-tel...2945/test.html found out that the panel is different from other 2018 LGD panels. It appears to have a different pixel structure that allows higher light output while keeping closer to reference color temperature.
mankomoo likes this.

Seriously. AVS is a place where you go to learn to be unhappy. - Bear5k
Video Pioneer PDP-LX6090 (calibrated)
Audio Yamaha RX-A3010, Dynaudio Audience 72 (FL, FR), Dynaudio Audience 42C (C), Dynaudio 42W (SR, SL), Chario Piccolo Star Satellite (Presence Height), SVS PB-1000 (SW)
Sources HTPC, Xbox One S, Squeezebox
post #25 of 35 Old 10-10-2018, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Are here many forumers with Philips OLED TVs?
post #26 of 35 Old 10-10-2018, 11:33 AM

post #27 of 35 Old 10-12-2018, 04:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorman42 View Post
This review https://www.lesnumeriques.com/tv-tel...2945/test.html found out that the panel is different from other 2018 LGD panels. It appears to have a different pixel structure that allows higher light output while keeping closer to reference color temperature.
Interesting I don't think Vincent came to that conclusion, but he did say HDR reproduction was very good, goes hand-in-hand with the higher brightness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanv View Post
Are here many forumers with Philips OLED TVs?
No, because the members of this forum appear to be mostly located in the north American continent where philips doesn't sell it's OLEDs. But I have seen maybe 2-3 owners spread around, they exist but not in great numbers :P
post #28 of 35 Old 11-15-2018, 12:11 PM

post #29 of 35 Old 01-01-2019, 07:32 AM

post #30 of 35 Old 01-09-2019, 01:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Question Factory burn in or what ? - Philips 55pos9002

Hi

I just bought a brand new Philips 55pos9002 and installed it yesterday.
Now im starting to wonder if it has been used before and has burn-in issues.
Everything when unpacking it pointed to that is was brand new from the store.

Is it possible to see the uptime for the TV in the "Service Menu" and get some hint if it has been used before in a store or so ?
And if so, is it possible to reset that number, meaning that it isnt to be trusted ?

The images bellow that i used are singel color and 4k.
Its most visable with very dark grey and in the upper right corner there is a bright spot.

Is this burn-in or something else ?
Right now the TV is doing a deep clean so i will update the thread with the status after that.

Best regards and thanks for help

/ Michael
Sweden
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190109_083257.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	2.00 MB
ID:	2508090   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190108_220312.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	1.73 MB