• 2 Post By andrewtodd
  • 1 Post By Montucky

post #1 of 6 Old 08-19-2018, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Size vs Quality

I'm going to buy a TV today (gone are the days I have time for 3 months of research) and am torn between the LG c8 65 and the Samsung q7 75.

This is my first flat panel since I bought a 50 inch pioneer kuro. I don't want to have to buy another tv in 3 years so am considering going bigger than 65.

Will a q7 75 be a big quality drop or will I not notice since my tv us 10 years old?

Has anyone else gone through the same thought process and what did you decide?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-19-2018, 10:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewtodd View Post
...I don't want to have to buy another tv in 3 years so am considering going bigger than 65...
Really, you are answering your own question partially. YES, go bigger, or you will always be regretting it. Now, there are 2 ways about that:
- Get a 65 OLED now, and a bigger one later when prices are less nuts (and maybe there is ATSC 3.0 built in??). Not that prices are so terrible now, it's amazing how much TV we can get for the money nowadays.
- Be patient (so hard!), WAIT, save up more money for a 75 OLED

I cannot comment if QLED is as good or nearly or not quite compared to OLED. I can say that my friend just got the LG you're considering, and the picture is indeed really nice in his medium-sunlit room, even without a 4k connection yet. He changed from a Panasonic plasma, and felt that due to the contrast of the plasma he would not be happy with anything but OLED.

We do tend to keep TVs for a VERY long time, so wait/save if you must, but don't compromise!
post #3 of 6 Old 08-19-2018, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by head_unit View Post
Really, you are answering your own question partially. YES, go bigger, or you will always be regretting it. Now, there are 2 ways about that:
- Get a 65 OLED now, and a bigger one later when prices are less nuts (and maybe there is ATSC 3.0 built in??). Not that prices are so terrible now, it's amazing how much TV we can get for the money nowadays.
- Be patient (so hard!), WAIT, save up more money for a 75 OLED

I cannot comment if QLED is as good or nearly or not quite compared to OLED. I can say that my friend just got the LG you're considering, and the picture is indeed really nice in his medium-sunlit room, even without a 4k connection yet. He changed from a Panasonic plasma, and felt that due to the contrast of the plasma he would not be happy with anything but OLED.

We do tend to keep TVs for a VERY long time, so wait/save if you must, but don't compromise!
Thank you.

Unfortunately I have to compromise somewhere. I also have a theatre so there is no way my wife will be happy with me spending 5-8k on a secondary display.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-20-2018, 03:15 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 162
move your seating position 2 feet in front and go for the 65" oled. why bother with a 75 Samsung q7, an edge lit lcd?
lsorensen and Sask HT like this.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-20-2018, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLaud25 View Post
move your seating position 2 feet in front and go for the 65" oled. why bother with a 75 Samsung q7, an edge lit lcd?
Cheers. I agree. I bought the LG last night and it's more than sufficient for our space. I later realized I could probably have got a better deal in 3 months but now I have it I'm keeping it.
lsorensen and Sask HT like this.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-20-2018, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 780 Post(s)
Liked: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewtodd View Post
Cheers. I agree. I bought the LG last night and it's more than sufficient for our space. I later realized I could probably have got a better deal in 3 months but now I have it I'm keeping it.
Good call. While I'm usually a sucker for bigger=better, that's only when I'm talking the same model (or similar) TV. In your case, although that Samsung is a good looking set, the shortcomings of an edge-lit TV probably become more apparent when you go that big. I would have gone with the LG as well.
Sask HT likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page