Should you turn your OLED off (with static content) whenever you're not using it? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jk82

post #1 of 8 Old 08-29-2018, 07:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Should you turn your OLED off (with static content) whenever you're not using it?

So, when I game and I leave my room for more then a few moments, I turn my C7 off and then back on when I return. Now, I know 10 minutes of static content here and there won't create problems, but I somehow feel bad to leave it on so I treat it, basically, like my smartphone (I just turn the screen off whenever I stop using it and turn it on when I start)

However, it occured to me that switching it on and off may cause some problems, so anyone has any information on that? Is it ok to turn it off and on again? And should I? A typical scenario is when I'm watching something or playing a game, then go to the kitchen to grab a snack.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-29-2018, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked: 348
10 minutes you say? Then yeah, I'll probably turn it off.

The problem for me (since I have a full house with little kids), sometimes what I think is 10 minutes will actually be 1 hour.

Mind you, there is a screen saver.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-29-2018, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked: 943
Picture settings - energy saving - screen off.

That or take any picture profile that you don't need and set oled-light, contrast, brightness to 0, which will also get you a black screen. Then you can just switch to that profile whenever you take a break.
Kadajo likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 08-29-2018, 08:26 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 162
My problem is not leaving the room and oled being on, I fall asleep with the oled on, in the morning I realise the tv was on all night. it's happened many nights. Is that risky?
post #5 of 8 Old 08-29-2018, 09:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk82 View Post
Picture settings - energy saving - screen off.

That or take any picture profile that you don't need and set oled-light, contrast, brightness to 0, which will also get you a black screen. Then you can just switch to that profile whenever you take a break.

Hey, that's a good idea, thanks!
post #6 of 8 Old 08-29-2018, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post
10 minutes you say? Then yeah, I'll probably turn it off.

The problem for me (since I have a full house with little kids), sometimes what I think is 10 minutes will actually be 1 hour.

Mind you, there is a screen saver.

Lol, yeah, I can imagine.

Also, I don't mind turning it off or anything, I was just affraid that I may do something bad to the hardware if I keep switching it off. I know the screen itself will be fine, but since that refresher kicks in when I turn it off.... anyway, thanks.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-29-2018, 09:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLaud25 View Post
My problem is not leaving the room and oled being on, I fall asleep with the oled on, in the morning I realise the tv was on all night. it's happened many nights. Is that risky?
1. Absolutely do activate "Timers", "2 hour power off". This is a no-brainer.

2. Static pictures will get dimmed to a very low level by ASBL, so no worries for true static content, e.g. PC use. But note that games with even a little movement on the screen may fail to trigger ASBL.

3. Definitely turn it off when HDR gaming or leaving paused HDR content. HDR peak brightness is much closer to the level that can cause burn-in over just a couple nights. It's not common, but there have been freak reports.

4. Don't watch CNN, you won't lose anything. But if something still compels you to, keep a darker, cooler, and less saturated mode for it, and absolutely turn the screen off the moment you leave or switch tasks.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-29-2018, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLaud25 View Post
Yes thats super risky. Set the sleep timer so that it shuts off automatically. OLEDs also age quicker then LCD's, so if you fall asleep with it on, you're essentially aging the panel and pixels faster

Sony XBR-65A1E OLED
Samsung KS9000
PS 4 PRO/ Sling TV/ Amazon Prime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
burn in , oled , oled c7

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page