2018 Sony A9F Master Series OLED Owner's Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2503Likes

post #31 of 3499 Old 09-08-2018, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 215 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4969 Post(s)
Liked: 6052
Its really hard to tell from pictures because the camera is going to accentuate the dark areas of the screen with a low light shot. I don't see any tinting on the brighter patches.

If I were you, I would do One, clear screen and then take another look and let us know if the picture looks like what you are seeing in real like with your eyes.

The good thing is no jail bars and no tinting from what I can see. Also i'm finding it hard to understand why you would see any of this in content which is why you should try the clear screen to see if that makes any difference.

Other than that, i'm going to reserve my opinion until I get my set in a couple of days and can take a good look at it. I have a 1 year old A1E and I just watched Hereditary and absolutely did not see any banding at all anywhere in that dark movie. In my case the panel was relatively clean and over time the slight banding that it has faded but I have some slight tinting that will never go away.
jb442386 and venus933 like this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F, LG CX
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, LightSpace Pro, ISF Level III Certified
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 3499 Old 09-08-2018, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 577 Post(s)
Liked: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Its really hard to tell from pictures because the camera is going to accentuate the dark areas of the screen with a low light shot. I don't see any tinting on the brighter patches.

If I were you, I would do One, clear screen and then take another look and let us know if the picture looks like what you are seeing in real like with your eyes.

The good thing is no jail bars and no tinting from what I can see. Also i'm finding it hard to understand why you would see any of this in content which is why you should try the clear screen to see if that makes any difference.

Other than that, i'm going to reserve my opinion until I get my set in a couple of days and can take a good look at it. I have a 1 year old A1E and I just watched Hereditary and absolutely did not see any banding at all anywhere in that dark movie. In my case the panel was relatively clean and over time the slight banding that it has faded but I have some slight tinting that will never go away.
Assume you are referring to panel refresh. It recommends you use panel refresh once a year to avoid straining your TV set.
post #33 of 3499 Old 09-08-2018, 07:17 PM

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by akadennis View Post
Yup, it’s still there. For the record I was not one of those who assumed anything regarding Sony and banding.
No my friend I'm not blaming you for assuming anything, but many of the other expert folk here. I know it's a bad feeling when you spend 4500 usd on a panel and have to put up with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 3499 Old 09-08-2018, 07:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes correct. One refresh will not hurt the panel but it will get rid of any screen retention from the factory which is what you may be seeing.
FocusedOne likes this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F, LG CX
post #35 of 3499 Old 09-08-2018, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 33
does performing a panel refresh out of the box improve banding? Or is it best to wait for the TV to prompt a refresh? personally I only ever performed a refresh when the TV prompted it.

I have a feeling my a1e is going to have less banding than a new a9f that has no refreshes on it.

A1E, a9f soon
post #36 of 3499 Old 09-08-2018, 07:39 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 652 Post(s)
Liked: 393
We all assumed they were calibrating it because of a photo that showed what looked like a typical OLED versus one that appeared to be significantly improved.

Back to the sidelines for me until CES 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #37 of 3499 Old 09-08-2018, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
here are my 5%, 10% and 20% pics. this is after 10 hours of use. i was watching hereditary and did notice a lot of banding on many shots. if this does not get better within the next 45 days I'm afraid I may return this unit. i just can't justify spending what I spent on this tv and have to live with and accept this banding. what do you guys think, is this a keeper?
Personally, from your previous description of the delivery and installation "process", I'd be a bit worried about any damage the BB installers managed to do and if it aggravated the panel unevenness.
post #38 of 3499 Old 09-08-2018, 08:30 PM

Leaving banding aside, @akadennis , can you take the time to answer these few questions?

Q1. The new pixel contrast booster feature, is it a user selectable option like ACE or do you not see it in settings (it is built into the processing)? Do you see any improvement in bright highlight detail due to this feature, it is supposed to boost the color of highlight details, does it make a difference in bright scenes?

Q2. Dolby vision now has 3 preset options, which do you think gives the most punch? DV has found to be relatively lacking punch on previous sony oleds.

Q3. How is the motion with the new X1U? Do you notice any stuttering issues or SOE when motion processing is engaged?

Q4. And (this i have been willing to find out), does the new android oreo support youtube hdr in the tv app? can you try playing a hdr video in the tv's youtube app and see if hdr is triggered?
FocusedOne likes this.

Last edited by JLaud25; 09-08-2018 at 08:34 PM.
post #39 of 3499 Old 09-08-2018, 08:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yes correct. One refresh will not hurt the panel but it will get rid of any screen retention from the factory which is what you may be seeing.
does this one do a refresh every 4 hours like the LG and if so how can I tell? I tried listening for a clicking sound and heard nothing. had it on for about 13 hours today, turned off 3 times and listened for clicking the last time turned off but nothing.
post #40 of 3499 Old 09-08-2018, 08:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLaud25 View Post
Leaving banding aside, @akadennis , can you take the time to answer these few questions?

Q1. The new pixel contrast booster feature, is it a user selectable option like ACE or do you not see it in settings (it is built into the processing)? Do you see any improvement in bright highlight detail due to this feature, it is supposed to boost the color of highlight details, does it make a difference in bright scenes?

Q2. Dolby vision now has 3 preset options, which do you think gives the most punch? DV has found to be relatively lacking punch on previous sony oleds.

Q3. How is the motion with the new X1U? Do you notice any stuttering issues or SOE when motion processing is engaged?

Q4. And (this i have been willing to find out), does the new android oreo support youtube hdr in the tv app? can you try playing a hdr video in the tv's youtube app and see if hdr is triggered?
i'm probably the wrong person to ask these questions. i kept the settings at their preset defaults and did not go through each one. As far as the dolby vision i used day and night settings and both looked good, i guess day had a little more punch. i did not use vivid. have not tried youtube HDR, will try tomorrow.
post #41 of 3499 Old 09-08-2018, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I finally received mine. They just put the box in my family room. I had to make a run to Home Depot, as the screw for mounting this to the arm are different from my Samsung. Also, my Harmony Ultimate remote doesn’t know this TV. The A8f doesn’t work as a solution either; I will try the AE1 tomorrow. I have to say that the single bolt holding the speaker to the panel at the bottom gave me pause; I checked it a few times before Inmounted.

As for picture, it looks great so far! More testing tomorrow, as I ran out of time today.

post #42 of 3499 Old 09-08-2018, 09:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
here are my 5%, 10% and 20% pics. this is after 10 hours of use. i was watching hereditary and did notice a lot of banding on many shots. if this does not get better within the next 45 days I'm afraid I may return this unit. i just can't justify spending what I spent on this tv and have to live with and accept this banding. what do you guys think, is this a keeper?
Does it look pink in the lower left corner if you watch a B&W movie or hockey? Where on the screen did installer have his hand pressing?
post #43 of 3499 Old 09-08-2018, 10:00 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Guys shots of a brand new tv with 5-10 hours with patterns are irrelevant really.
Every Oled needs at least 50 hours or more to stabilize and this without a hard panel refresh.
Im mostly interest in the rest of the tv features that advertised.
post #44 of 3499 Old 09-08-2018, 10:02 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLaud25 View Post
LMAO..And so...it begins (again). All you fine folks and armchair experts, who mistook a sony slide and their words 'factory calibrated for uniformity' to foolishly assume sony was ending the near black uniformity/banding panel lottery, it was nice meeting you.
This is an owner's thread, not troll's thread.
venus933 likes this.
post #45 of 3499 Old 09-08-2018, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChris View Post
Im mostly interest in the rest of the tv features that advertised.
Which ones? I would be happy to check tomorrow. I doubt that I can contribute to the banding/picture discussions, but i definitely will be able to comment on features.

Last edited by KensingtonPark; 09-08-2018 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Fix nonsensical Auto-Corrected sentence
post #46 of 3499 Old 09-08-2018, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsessler View Post
This is an owner's thread, not troll's thread.
how is this trolling? since the new york event over a month ago, so many people were on about how sony factory calibrates these sets for uniformity, how does calling those people out who had unrealistic expectations equate to trolling? i was/am interested in the a9f for some of its features but i never expected all sony a9f's to be banding or streaking free.
And this thread is for anyone interested in the tv, just so you know so far there are only one or two people in the thread who actually own the set.
GregF2, shoman94 and 333444 like this.
post #47 of 3499 Old 09-08-2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KensingtonPark View Post
Which ones? I would be happy to check tomorrow. I doubt that I can contribute to the banding/picture discussions, but i definitely will be able to comment on features.
See the questions i posted to akadennis a few posts above. report back tomorrow if you can.
post #48 of 3499 Old 09-08-2018, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpolation View Post
does performing a panel refresh out of the box improve banding? Or is it best to wait for the TV to prompt a refresh? personally I only ever performed a refresh when the TV prompted it.

I have a feeling my a1e is going to have less banding than a new a9f that has no refreshes on it.

My 55 C7 had a lot of marks on the screen OOTB - a manual panel refresh sorted it no problem
Onbekend and jrref like this.
post #49 of 3499 Old 09-08-2018, 11:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Just keep the tv and stop watching 5% slides

It makes no sense

Lg 65 C7
Lg 9800 1080 Oled
Epson LS10500
Panasonic UB820 uhd player
post #50 of 3499 Old 09-08-2018, 11:45 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7293 Post(s)
Liked: 7327
Quote:
Here is a pic I just took. Amazon Prime Jack Ryan playing. don't mind all the ethernet cables, at some point I will run them on ceiling.
Looking good

Quote:
I finally received mine. They just put the box in my family room. I had to make a run to Home Depot, as the screw for mounting this to the arm are different from my Samsung. Also, my Harmony Ultimate remote doesn’t know this TV. The A8f doesn’t work as a solution either; I will try the AE1 tomorrow. I have to say that the single bolt holding the speaker to the panel at the bottom gave me pause; I checked it a few times before Inmounted.

As for picture, it looks great so far! More testing tomorrow, as I ran out of time today.
Congrat's
post #51 of 3499 Old 09-09-2018, 01:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bootymonger View Post
Does it look pink in the lower left corner if you watch a B&W movie or hockey? Where on the screen did installer have his hand pressing?
hand pressing on back of screen. they basically put the tv back side up on my chaise to install the kickstand and one idiot was like hunch over resting his hand on my TV. It wasn't long cause as soon as i noticed i told him to not rest his hands on my TV. between that and them not knowing how to put the stand had me pretty annoyed.
post #52 of 3499 Old 09-09-2018, 02:31 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 274
2018 Sony A9F Master Series OLED Owner's Thread

Quote:

I see pink tinting on the lower left and right sides. After boosting saturation and contrast in the iOS Photos app:

Obviously that is very exaggerated (I had to screengrab it to apply the editing controls a second time). I include it merely to make it clear where the subtle pink tinting in the original image is. It’s at a level in the original that probably (or possibly) many people will not see it.

Last edited by fluxo; 09-09-2018 at 02:35 AM.
post #53 of 3499 Old 09-09-2018, 03:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxo View Post
I see pink tinting on the lower left and right sides. After boosting saturation and contrast in the iOS Photos app:

Obviously that is very exaggerated (I had to screengrab it to apply the editing controls a second time). I include it merely to make it clear where the subtle pink tinting in the original image is. It’s at a level in the original that probably (or possibly) many people will not see it.
Is this from my 20% I guess it is since i don’t see anyone else posting pics lol.
post #54 of 3499 Old 09-09-2018, 03:32 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 274
2018 Sony A9F Master Series OLED Owner's Thread

Quote:
Is this from my 20% I guess it is since i don’t see anyone else posting pics lol.

Indeed it is. Thank you very much for your pictures.
post #55 of 3499 Old 09-09-2018, 03:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Indeed it is. Thank you very much for your pictures.
Your welcome. Looks like same issues with this new model. I don’t think I’m keeping it, maybe I’ll either wait and see what 2019 brings or try the Z9F. I’ll probably wait until some reviews come in first if I decide to go for the Z9F.
post #56 of 3499 Old 09-09-2018, 04:38 AM

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 131
That is too bad. Hopefully it gets better the more hours you put on it, before you have to return it. Sure hope it does, as was looking forward to this tv. Appreciate your feedback so far too. Maybe Z9F is the one?

Quote:
Your welcome. Looks like same issues with this new model. I don’t think I’m keeping it, maybe I’ll either wait and see what 2019 brings or try the Z9F. I’ll probably wait until some reviews come in first if I decide to go for the Z9F.
post #57 of 3499 Old 09-09-2018, 05:01 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
The pics look good to me. I wish my A8F was as good. The lack of pronounced vertical bands is encouraging.
jrref likes this.

Sony XBR-65A8F
Denon X1400, ATV 4K, HTPC
Roku Premiere+, Panasonic UB820, Sony x700

Last edited by BreakPoint; 09-09-2018 at 05:11 AM.
post #58 of 3499 Old 09-09-2018, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakPoint View Post
The pics look good to me. I wish my A8F was as good. The lack of pronounced vertical bands is encouraging.
Did a panel refresh, looks like it made it worse. I just want to make it clear that I had no idea what banding was until I noticed it while watching a movie on VUDU with my LG OLED. I came on here and someone explained to me what I was seeing and that all OLED’s have this problem. I still have the LG. Let me also say that other than the banding the TV looks great. Wanted to post the pic of my 5% after the panel refresh but not sure how to do it on my phone. I’ll post later if anyone is interested.
video_analysis likes this.

Last edited by akadennis; 09-09-2018 at 05:42 AM.
post #59 of 3499 Old 09-09-2018, 05:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

This picture is useless and misleading. When you turn up the saturation and contrast the panel will be severely clipping and non-linear so it's not a valid test.

You have two choices,
1) Run the panel for about 100 hours turning it off periodically so it does the short refresh and even then it might not be totally clean
2) Run one clear panel and you will basically see what the panel will look like and it will get rid of any screen retention from the factory. It won't hurt the panel.
BreakPoint likes this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F, LG CX
post #60 of 3499 Old 09-09-2018, 06:03 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:
How responsive is the Android operating system with the X1 processor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
master series , oled , sony a9f

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page