2018 Sony A9F Master Series OLED Owner's Thread - Page 32 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2380Likes

post #931 of 3059 Old 10-10-2018, 06:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I am finally in love with a TV! the A9F is near perfection in my eyes!

I've done the 5% slide when i started it up for the first time , and another after 20 hours.
And i already see improvements! I havn't even let it cycle the screen because i havn't had it on constant for 4h every run.

Banding is not visible in movies etc.

but this is how it looked , and is looking now!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0670.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	672.1 KB
ID:	2466594   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0672.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	518.1 KB
ID:	2466596  

|SONY Bravia KD-55AF9|Samsung UE55KS8000|Samsung QE55Q7F|B&W 704 S2|CMC2 S2|ASW10CM S2|HKTS16 Surround|Marantz SR7009|NAD C275BEE|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 3059 Old 10-10-2018, 07:14 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
First post here in way too long. I ordered the 65” a9f last night and couldn’t be more excited, that is until I came to this owners thread and saw all the uniformity issues everyone is having. Why is it that the tv Vincent is reviewing looked flawless and everyone here seems to be having issues?

Also, everyone mentions getting some hours on the display before judging it. Is there a tried and true way to “break in” an oled? I have a plasma break in disc and ran that for a few hundred hours right away before normal use with my Panasonic plasmas. Things seemed to have changed a lot since then.
post #933 of 3059 Old 10-10-2018, 07:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6669 Post(s)
Liked: 6666
Quote:
Originally Posted by magillagorilla View Post
The Z9 comparison is an interesting one.

I've had 75" Z in our main room for a year and a half. I likely would have opted for the 77" a1e at the time had it not been twice the price it is now. That said, I've loved the Z.

Watching the Z killed my ability to enjoy watching our old 60" Kuro in the bedroom. Seem very dim and hazy when you get used to black levels, brightness and clarity of the Z. That prompted me to consider picking up an a1e on closeout for the bedroom.

Started shopping around for a deal on the a1e this weekend and someone offered a pretty amazing deal locally here in Seattle on the a9f that I just couldn't pass up. Picked it up yesterday as a result.

Just started digging in the setting on the a9. PQ is worlds better than the Kuro. That said, the difference between it and the Z isn't as significant as I expected. Definitely more black level depth with the trade off being some upper end brightness. Two sides of a similar coin.
People love there Z's, that is a great display......

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HNNY H0PK1NS View Post
Had my 65” A9F for about a week. Went from a LG C7, A8F to an A1E to a G7 to an A1E and then to A9F.

I still have some annoying noticeable banding but in general the display is much better in almost every regard.

You guys think I should run a cycle to try and resolve the current banding/retention or just out some hours on it?
Well that a few older OLED's there. You would be the guy to ask about comparisons
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #934 of 3059 Old 10-10-2018, 07:37 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
This is actually the exact opposite advice. If the banding is slight, over time it will fad a little due to the randomness of using the panel. My 1 1/2 year old A1E has no visible banding now.
This is misleading ... if the banding is 'slight' you've already won the battle for these panels anyway
post #935 of 3059 Old 10-10-2018, 08:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversfan View Post
First post here in way too long. I ordered the 65” a9f last night and couldn’t be more excited, that is until I came to this owners thread and saw all the uniformity issues everyone is having. Why is it that the tv Vincent is reviewing looked flawless and everyone here seems to be having issues?

Also, everyone mentions getting some hours on the display before judging it. Is there a tried and true way to “break in” an oled? I have a plasma break in disc and ran that for a few hundred hours right away before normal use with my Panasonic plasmas. Things seemed to have changed a lot since then.
I've had mine a couple of weeks with no banding or any image problems. It's a very good set. Don't let the posters here let you think that there are problems with this set.
jrref likes this.

Mike

post #936 of 3059 Old 10-10-2018, 10:30 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Is it worth it?

I have been pondering an upgrade to the Sony AF9. Currently, I have a 55 inch Sony 929 calibrated by Chad B. I know 4K is stunning on the AF9 but I wonder about regular HD. Since there is so little 4K programming, is it worth the upgrade to the AF9 when 99% of the time I will be watching regular HD?

Thanks in advance for any comments.
post #937 of 3059 Old 10-10-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtb16 View Post
I have been pondering an upgrade to the Sony AF9. Currently, I have a 55 inch Sony 929 calibrated by Chad B. I know 4K is stunning on the AF9 but I wonder about regular HD. Since there is so little 4K programming, is it worth the upgrade to the AF9 when 99% of the time I will be watching regular HD?

I was thinking the same thing myself. The review from hdtv test leads me to believe everything under 4K looks amazing, and I went with the tv after hearing that.
post #938 of 3059 Old 10-10-2018, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

It's better but you'll have to decide if it's worth the price. If you watch any of the streaming services the HDR and WCG is well worth the price of admission.

Mike

post #939 of 3059 Old 10-10-2018, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

You'd probably be surprised about how much 4k content actually exists. All movies that we watch (on either bluray or from itunes) are 4k and just about everything we watch on Netflix and Amazon is as well. Only things that are not in our viewing world are HBO, NFL games, CNN, and a few local broadcasts here and there.
post #940 of 3059 Old 10-10-2018, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:

I am also coming from a 929. There is an amazing amount of 4K content unless your primary viewing is OTA/cable/sat or existing blu-rays. Aside from the 4K "thing", HDR/DV, OLED infinite contrast/perfect blacks and emissive tech (no blooming or flash lighting) are, IMHO, huge advantages over a 2K LCD/LED.

My set is coming tomorrow, so I can shortly let you know what I think playing the same 1080 BR's. Based on what I have seen in stores, I expect to be blown away by the PQ, even without 4K HDR content.

Emotiva XMC-1 (w 4K board) & XPA-5, B&W CM9s2, CM8s2, CMC, Hsu VTF-15, Auralic Aries, Apple TV 4K, Sony 65A9F & Panasonic UB820
post #941 of 3059 Old 10-10-2018, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
You have to realize that probably only 2% of all A9F owners even know of this forum, let alone read it. Of that 2%, you have a dedicated core of knowledgeable people (of which I am not one), casual readers trying to learn things (that's me), and one time posters who only come here to either ask for help with an issue or to complain about something. I'll illustrate with an example I know about.

I'm a car guy and I'm on multiple car forums. I'm a mod on a Lexus forum. Now the Lexus LS is arguably the most reliable car you can buy, but if you read some of the posts on the forum you might think the car is one step below a Yugo. At best maybe 2% of all owners ever post there. What happens is the one tenth of one percent of owners who have a problem join the forum to post their problem or to complain. The other 98% who are thrilled with their car are not car guys/gals, so they wouldn't join the forum just to post "wow my LS is just amazing".

So when you read the Lexus forum, the posts seem a little skewed to the negative. I have no doubt the same dynamics apply here.
post #942 of 3059 Old 10-10-2018, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Also got my 65A9F today as a upgrade from a Sony 65Z9D and my expectations were low, but I must say the PQ blows me away...

It's a very big upgrade compared to my 65Z9D PQ-wise and the colours and details with this new Ultimate processor is a big step up from my 65Z9D.

I wouldn't have thought it would be such a big upgrade even those HDR testclips are even more breathtaking on my A9F compared to my 65Z9D so one doesn't need 2000 nit to have a sensational HDR image!

I also wanted to update the firmware with the lastest one but when updating the update screen at about 80% switched to those pause screens of Chromecast so I just pushed the back button after 10 minutes, no update screen was visible anymore and I removed the usb stick and put the update file on another stick put it in the tv and the update continued at 88% and completed just fine with the S14 patch included firmware.

I ran lot's of trailers etc and saw no banding in that content but I couldn't resist and put up 5 to 2% testfiles and some 4 or 5 light 2 inches wide bands are visible then.

Like recommended I am now running a panel refresh cycle to see if that cleans it up.

It says in the manual a white line is visible during panel refresh but I only see a black screen??..refresh is running now about 50 minutes..

Edit: More a blue then white line comes at the end I just saw after about 60 minutes...

Last edited by destroyer2usa; 10-10-2018 at 02:33 PM.
post #943 of 3059 Old 10-10-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowspinzone View Post
Quote:
You have to realize that probably only 2% of all A9F owners even know of this forum, let alone read it. Of that 2%, you have a dedicated core of knowledgeable people (of which I am not one), casual readers trying to learn things (that's me), and one time posters who only come here to either ask for help with an issue or to complain about something. I'll illustrate with an example I know about.

I'm a car guy and I'm on multiple car forums. I'm a mod on a Lexus forum. Now the Lexus LS is arguably the most reliable car you can buy, but if you read some of the posts on the forum you might think the car is one step below a Yugo. At best maybe 2% of all owners ever post there. What happens is the one tenth of one percent of owners who have a problem join the forum to post their problem or to complain. The other 98% who are thrilled with their car are not car guys/gals, so they wouldn't join the forum just to post "wow my LS is just amazing".

So when you read the Lexus forum, the posts seem a little skewed to the negative. I have no doubt the same dynamics apply here. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
Point taken. Thanks for sharing. I appreciate it.
post #944 of 3059 Old 10-10-2018, 02:49 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
You're welcome. It's just human nature and we're all subject to it. As I've grown older I've tried to make it a point to compliment people when a job/service is well done, and not just complain when it isn't.
post #945 of 3059 Old 10-10-2018, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5071 Post(s)
Liked: 3581
Quote:
Also, Vincent is using a review sample.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #946 of 3059 Old 10-10-2018, 05:58 PM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi,

Which one to get A9F for $3,0.. vs A8F for2,0.. ?
post #947 of 3059 Old 10-10-2018, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachmat-d View Post
Hi,

Not a huge difference.
rachmat-d likes this.

Mike

post #948 of 3059 Old 10-10-2018, 06:52 PM

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Hello all. Over the past 2 weeks I've been reading a few of these forums, re: the A9F, Z9F, LG C8, and similar options. Did a couple of trips to Best Buy, read every online review. I have a 60" late model Pannie Plasma which I adore, but was thinking about going bigger and brighter (77" LG C8, or whatever). I had pretty much ruled out the A9F for the reasons people rule out OLEDS. And reading between the lines of the reviews didn't really light my candle.

I just did another trip to BB where they finally got an A9F in person- AND I WAS BLOWN AWAY!!! Totally unexpected. Next to the LGs, and Sony A1eE/ A8F etc- the A9F to my eyes looks like a whole different breed of animal. I was not at all prepared for THIS based on the reviews, etc I had read. I only saw their 4K loop and will have to have them set up some 1080P stuff to watch, but I was literally mesmerized. I even completely forgot about the incline of the stand, which was a deal killer before I saw the set. Even a 77" A1E would not do it for me after seeing this- I NEED THIS SET!!! Even with the hassles of OLED.

So I have some questions for you folks, which I'm sure have been answered, but I simply had to say: DON"T go by what anyone says until you see this set!!! If you have the cash, and you love this hobby,you have to see this set!!! Right now, to my eyes, this is a game changer. OF COURSE, you may see something different. I really wanted to go bigger, but this has changed my mind, for now. I still have the Z9F to check out, whenever.

For you lucky owners, please: how is the set on upscaling 1080P, especially Netflix and Amazon? Not their 4K, but the mass of material at 1080P? Blu Ray? (Not Ultra HD but 1080P)? How is upscaling? How is the motion? Any SOE? I'm sure these questions have been asked, so please bear with me. Thanks for your patience, please pardon my over excitement.
post #949 of 3059 Old 10-10-2018, 06:55 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachmat-d View Post
Hi,

Sony has made a huge processor performance/capability jump between the A8F and A9F. If you use the built-in apps it's a huge upgrade, and there are other underlying improvements to image processing. It's a lot of money, but I'd rather have a processor tht will be supported for a few years to come vs one that is now life-cycled.
post #950 of 3059 Old 10-10-2018, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Steve View Post
Hello all. Over the past 2 weeks I've been reading a few of these forums, re: the A9F, Z9F, LG C8, and similar options. Did a couple of trips to Best Buy, read every online review. I have a 60" late model Pannie Plasma which I adore, but was thinking about going bigger and brighter (77" LG C8, or whatever). I had pretty much ruled out the A9F for the reasons people rule out OLEDS. And reading between the lines of the reviews didn't really light my candle.

I just did another trip to BB where they finally got an A9F in person- AND I WAS BLOWN AWAY!!! Totally unexpected. Next to the LGs, and Sony A1eE/ A8F etc- the A9F to my eyes looks like a whole different breed of animal. I was not at all prepared for THIS based on the reviews, etc I had read. I only saw their 4K loop and will have to have them set up some 1080P stuff to watch, but I was literally mesmerized. I even completely forgot about the incline of the stand, which was a deal killer before I saw the set. Even a 77" A1E would not do it for me after seeing this- I NEED THIS SET!!! Even with the hassles of OLED.
Cool, but I'm curious if you can describe what you saw that was so different to the A1/A8? I wonder if the picture mode they are using (I'm sure it was Standard or Vivid) has several of the processing features turned on and what you are seeing is the X1U vs X1E.

Emotiva XMC-1 (w 4K board) & XPA-5, B&W CM9s2, CM8s2, CMC, Hsu VTF-15, Auralic Aries, Apple TV 4K, Sony 65A9F & Panasonic UB820
post #951 of 3059 Old 10-10-2018, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by khollister View Post
Cool, but I'm curious if you can describe what you saw that was so different to the A1/A8? I wonder if the picture mode they are using (I'm sure it was Standard or Vivid) has several of the processing features turned on and what you are seeing is the X1U vs X1E.

Good point. I'm wondering myself. There was clearly more detail in the A9F- surprisingly more. You could see MUCH more hairs of the animals, clothing details. An A8F was mounted directly above it so I could compare some of the video loop in real time. There were noticeably more subtle gradients of lighting in the HDR highlights, and more gradations of color. There was more punch on the A9F. I've watched this same loop many many times over the past year so I was surprised at the improvements. BUT, as you indicate, the improvements MAY have been due to other factors in the settings etc which i didn't get to play with. It wasn't a scientific comparison.
post #952 of 3059 Old 10-11-2018, 05:11 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Steve View Post
BUT, as you indicate, the improvements MAY have been due to other factors in the settings etc which i didn't get to play with. It wasn't a scientific comparison.
Exactly. It is difficult to compare in box stores. They certainly don't calibrate their display models. I put more stock into the comparisons posted by the calibrators who frequent this forum than viewing them in BB (I remember several years ago thinking that a specific display looked the best in one store and the absolute worst in a different store, no doubt due to set-up). Based on the recent shoot-out in NY, these displays are awfully close to each other for overall PQ, with a slight advantage to the A9.

Last edited by BillP; 10-11-2018 at 05:15 AM.
post #953 of 3059 Old 10-11-2018, 05:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Quoted: 4474 Post(s)
Liked: 5487
The A9 is a little sharper than the A1/A8 and colors are more "vivid" due to it's better color volume.
shoman94 likes this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
post #954 of 3059 Old 10-11-2018, 08:43 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
This is my first OLED and I keep reading about panel refresh. Is this something that must be done after a certain time like some sort of maintenance? I don’t see banding it image retention, or at least I don’t think I do. Anyway, screen is awesome!
post #955 of 3059 Old 10-11-2018, 08:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamber7606 View Post
This is my first OLED and I keep reading about panel refresh. Is this something that must be done after a certain time like some sort of maintenance? I don’t see banding it image retention, or at least I don’t think I do. Anyway, screen is awesome!
I think Sony recommends about once a year.

Mike

post #956 of 3059 Old 10-11-2018, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucaT View Post
Vincent in his review talk about a "dynamic tone mapping" option, ma where is it?
I don't find it
If I'm remembering correctly I believe he said it is always enabled and can't be disabled. It's probably not an option that can be accessed in the menu but others who own the set would need to confirm.

Based on your previous comments it sounds like you are a gamer. Have you played any HDR enabled games that use HUD's on your tv yet? Has your overall gaming experience been positive?

Set up 1|Sony XBR65A1E|Pioneer SC-97|Panasonic DMP-UB900|PS4 Pro|Xbox One X|Apple TV|5.2.4 Dolby Atmos|Nintendo Switch|
Set up 2|LG OLED65C8|Pioneer SC-LX502
|Sony UBPX-X700|Xbox One X|PS4|Nintendo Wii U|Apple TV 4K|3.2.2 Dolby Atmos|
Other|LG 55EF9500|Sony XBR-55HX929|Yamaha RX-A1060BL|
post #957 of 3059 Old 10-11-2018, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
On the LG, the TV would start a long (as a manual one) refresh around every 2000 hours. Does the Sony do it as well?
post #958 of 3059 Old 10-11-2018, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 202
Quote:

I have your current Sony HX929 and I also have the Sony A1E Oled. In my opinion for regular SDR content the Sony AF9 would still be a major upgrade. The Sony's do a great job of cleaning up regular HD signals especially with the smooth gradation feature set to low. You will notice the boost in contrast, colors, and black levels. Even though the Sony HX929 is still a great LCD the Oled picture gives a sense of realism and depth that my Sony HX929 can't match.

Set up 1|Sony XBR65A1E|Pioneer SC-97|Panasonic DMP-UB900|PS4 Pro|Xbox One X|Apple TV|5.2.4 Dolby Atmos|Nintendo Switch|
Set up 2|LG OLED65C8|Pioneer SC-LX502
|Sony UBPX-X700|Xbox One X|PS4|Nintendo Wii U|Apple TV 4K|3.2.2 Dolby Atmos|
Other|LG 55EF9500|Sony XBR-55HX929|Yamaha RX-A1060BL|
post #959 of 3059 Old 10-11-2018, 09:55 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3945 Post(s)
Liked: 3650
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiFi-Spy View Post
Regardless of how bad a 5% slide looks at first, do yourself a favor and run the full OLED compensation cycle before deciding it’s too bad to keep. I have seen it preform miracles.
So, if one is due to have their display calibrated should a panel refresh be done prior to the calibration? I hear conflicting info on this, that it's hard on the display and could shorten its life, and that it can "fix" issues like banding and the like. I'm a little confused about the panel refresh subject. I assume it can't be too dangerous as it's listed in the user menu and not something hidden in the SM.

Personally, while I haven't run any 5% slides I have seen glimpses here and there of some very light striping/banding in certain content but it hasn't been very distracting at all and as I have a calibration(D-Nice) being done towards the end of the month I've been wondering if a panel refresh would be in order.

Thanks

Last edited by Keenan; 10-11-2018 at 10:12 AM.
post #960 of 3059 Old 10-11-2018, 10:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1426 Post(s)
Liked: 820
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamber7606 View Post

My A1E did it automatically after about 2000 hours of use. That's the documented behavior, and LG does the same. You can run it manually but there doesn't usually seem to be a reason to. I have certainly never done one manually and doubt I ever will.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
master series , oled , sony a9f

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page