2018 Sony A9F Master Series OLED Owner's Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2395Likes

post #991 of 3132 Old 10-12-2018, 09:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLaud25 View Post
I'm giving an honest impression of the tv, not everyone is upgrading from 3 or 4 year lcd's, the impression im giving is RELEVANT to people who own a recent oled tv and/or a z9, they should keep their expectations in check on how much of an improvement the a9f is going to bring to them, because it's simply not a huge difference. Giving an honest impression doesnt amount to trolling. If you see my post, dont i say im still interested in getting the a9f, pending a price drop? How can you be sure im not interesting in getting this tv lol? And far as telling me to post somewhere else or labelling an honest impression as trolling, last i checked where people can or cannot post is the job of moderators, if a moderator told me to not post here any more, i would happily obey, but last i checked you are not a mod here, so stop playing self appointed inspector and MYOB.

I have to agree with khollister. Since this is specifically an "owner's" thread it is meant for owners to discuss their experiences, settings, impressions, etc. about the A9F.

I think properly you should start your own thread to talk about your impressions. As you stated,

"..... the impression im giving is RELEVANT to people who own a recent oled tv and/or a z9, they should keep their expectations in check on how much of an improvement the a9f is going to bring to them,to help you form your decision as to whether or not to purchase one....."

Since everyone posting here are already owners, your impressions are not relevant to them nor this thread.
jsessler likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 3132 Old 10-12-2018, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 95
[quote=Dr Steve;56944120]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmwilker View Post
As a new owner of the A9, coming from a 940C, I totally agree with your assessment of the panel. I have a close friend with an A1 and A8 and the A9 is an incremental step up from those sets in some ways. I had a C8 for a week before I returned it because of the motion and upscaling. The A9 IS one of the best panels available at this time.

So to restate what you said, you feel the A9 has significantly better upscaling and motion than the C8? Is this on streaming content (Netflix Amazon Prime) as well? Did you have a 65" C8? Thank you for your input. I'm most likely going for an A9 though a 77" C8 is tempting- but both upscaling and motion are my 2 biggest concerns.
I had DirecTV and have DirecTV Now currently so it is streaming. I had a 65 C8 and it's very nice panel but on a regular broadcast the motion is noticeable and the upscaling is not as good. I too considered the 77" C8 as I had a 75" 940C and size does matter. I think I could probably get used to the motion but to get the best price I would have to get it online and returns really become an issue.
The streaming services on the C8 are great but in some content the motion is still an issue. I would say the A9 is significantly better because if I notice the motion on the C8 and rarely notice it on the A9 that is significant to me. They are very close though. I would have to say "see it for yourself" to see if it's worth the price jump.
Good luck.

Mike

post #993 of 3132 Old 10-12-2018, 09:14 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 53
[quote=wmwilker;56944438]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Steve View Post

I had DirecTV and have DirecTV Now currently so it is streaming. I had a 65 C8 and it's very nice panel but on a regular broadcast the motion is noticeable and the upscaling is not as good. I too considered the 77" C8 as I had a 75" 940C and size does matter. I think I could probably get used to the motion but to get the best price I would have to get it online and returns really become an issue.
The streaming services on the C8 are great but in some content the motion is still an issue. I would say the A9 is significantly better because if I notice the motion on the C8 and rarely notice it on the A9 that is significant to me. They are very close though. I would have to say "see it for yourself" to see if it's worth the price jump.
Good luck.

Thank you, I appreciate the input!
wmwilker likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #994 of 3132 Old 10-12-2018, 09:19 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6777 Post(s)
Liked: 6784
Quote:
Originally Posted by khollister View Post
I am also coming from a 929.
That is was a great model.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversfan View Post
First post here in way too long. I ordered the 65” a9f last night and couldn’t be more excited, that is until I came to this owners thread and saw all the uniformity issues everyone is having. Why is it that the tv Vincent is reviewing looked flawless and everyone here seems to be having issues?
Stop reading here for now, that way you can form your own opinion, then let us know what you think You are basically buying the best TV ever made, yes it is flawed, just like any other product a human makes......
post #995 of 3132 Old 10-12-2018, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowspinzone View Post
I have to agree with khollister. Since this is specifically an "owner's" thread it is meant for owners to discuss their experiences, settings, impressions, etc. about the A9F.

I think properly you should start your own thread to talk about your impressions. As you stated,

"..... the impression im giving is RELEVANT to people who own a recent oled tv and/or a z9, they should keep their expectations in check on how much of an improvement the a9f is going to bring to them,to help you form your decision as to whether or not to purchase one....."

Since everyone posting here are already owners, your impressions are not relevant to them nor this thread.
Go to the others master series z9f thread, only 3 or 4 actual owners so far posting in the z9f thread, rest all posters there so far are prospective buyers or other people. by your 'logic', those people shouldn't be posting in that thread?

There are also a lot of people who are reading this thread as opposed to posting here and among them many existing oled owners or z9 owners, they also deserve a perspective on how the a9f fares in relation to their tv's. And im giving that perspective.

An owners thread is about evaluating the pros and cons of a tv and giving an unbiased, neutral perspective of the tv so readers can have an idea of the performance of the tv. it's not just about owners bragging how awesome their new purchase is. please understand.

Last edited by JLaud25; 10-12-2018 at 09:51 AM.
post #996 of 3132 Old 10-12-2018, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1773 Post(s)
Liked: 1143
2018 Sony A9F Master Series OLED Owner's Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Actually Yes. One of the first things I noticed, not knowing about the color volume of the set, was what I call "vivid" colors, more saturation at high luminance.

Agreed. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 on the A9F is a real showcase for the higher color volume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1

Last edited by helvetica bold; 10-12-2018 at 10:20 AM.
post #997 of 3132 Old 10-12-2018, 10:15 AM

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 53
[QUOTE=Cleveland Plasma;56944486]That is was a great model.......

Stop reading here for now, that way you can form your own opinion, then let us know what you think You are basically buying the best TV ever made,

LOL that's what I'm talkin' about, a man with a good solid opinion! YES!
post #998 of 3132 Old 10-12-2018, 10:30 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Go to the others master series z9f thread, only 3 or 4 actual owners so far posting in the z9f thread, rest all posters there so far are prospective buyers or other people. by your 'logic', those people shouldn't be posting in that thread?

There are also a lot of people who are reading this thread as opposed to posting here and among them many existing oled owners or z9 owners, they also deserve a perspective on how the a9f fares in relation to their tv's. And im giving that perspective.

An owners thread is about evaluating the pros and cons of a tv and giving an unbiased, neutral perspective of the tv so readers can have an idea of the performance of the tv. it's not just about owners bragging how awesome their new purchase is. please understand.
You've been trolling this thread for a long time. I have the distinct impression that you're trying to defend your purchase of your Panasonic, and the only way to do that is by picking apart the new kid on the block. It's like the guy who just purcahsed a 2018 model-year car at a discount, but must knock the new and improved 2019 model to feel better about the decision. Since you don't have the TV, and this is an owners thread, consider keeping your speculation, schooling, and alleged momentary time with the AF9 to yourself. Much of what you are saying would be better suited for a general OLED discussion thread (which there are many here).

All I know is the more hours I get in front of the AF9 with varied content, the more I see the improvements over previous models. You're just not going to tease out all of the differences in a 30-60 minute evaluation.
knowspinzone likes this.
post #999 of 3132 Old 10-12-2018, 10:31 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4031 Post(s)
Liked: 3741
Quote:

I think what many here, as well as myself, have an issue with is that your posts appear to be mostly you "thinking out loud" trying to convince yourself you don't want, or need this display. We get it, what you have now would only be improved marginally by getting an A9F and not at a price to performance ratio you can accept. That's fine, to each his own, and you have only 3 months to see what the next big electronics show has for new products. I respect that you have issues with this display but please, the continued posting of reasons why NOT to purchase the A9F are of little interest to those owners here who already have or are in the process of purchasing this display.

I wish you luck in in getting your next display and I'm sure you'll be happy with it.
jsessler, knowspinzone and Radvlad like this.

Last edited by Keenan; 10-12-2018 at 02:57 PM.
post #1000 of 3132 Old 10-12-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
Agreed. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 on the A9F is a real showcase for the higher color volume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You want more showcases for color apart from GOTG Vol. 2, then try -the lego ninjago 4k blu ray (i think they used this movie at the shootout iirc), then try the lego batman movie, despicable me 3 , the greatest showman..all great 4k blu ray showcases of colo. rAnd not to forget blade runner 2049, even though that movie doesnt have shiny, in your face colors like an anime, it has outstanding colors. and if you have a great surround system,blade runner 2049 will also take your speakers and sub(s) for a ride like never before, the audio is mesmerizing on that disc.
helvetica bold likes this.
post #1001 of 3132 Old 10-12-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
I think what many here, as well as myself, have an issue with is that your posts appear to be mostly you "thinking out loud" trying to convince yourself you don't want, or need this display. We get it, what you have now would only be improved marginally by getting an A9F and not at a price to value ratio you can accept. That's fine, to each his own, and you have only 3 months to see what the next big electronics show has for new products. I respect that you have issues with this display but please, the continued posting of reasons why NOT to purchase the A9F are of little interest to those owners here who already have or are in the process of purchasing this display.

I wish you luck in in getting your next display and I'm sure you'll be happy with it.
Where did i say there are reasons not to purchase the tv..jeez. im simply saying that if youre an existing oled owner or a z9 owner, just keep your excpectations in check on how much improvement the a9f is going to bring to you if you buy the tv, given its expensive price. Because such owners will obviously not be blown away by the a9f's subtle improvements (over existing oleds), as much as people upgrading from 3 or 4 year old lcd's. Not too hard to understand the point.

And if you are not selectively reading what i am saying, i have stated multiple times that when a price drop hits next year, i'll buy the a9f.

Last edited by JLaud25; 10-12-2018 at 10:57 AM.
post #1002 of 3132 Old 10-12-2018, 10:43 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
I can't find that thread. Is it an "owner's" thread?

Quote:
Agreed, but that comparison doesn't belong in an owner's thread. By definition an owner's thread is for owners to discuss their particular model. Perhaps khollister should have put the word "only" in the thread title.

Quote:
Agreed, but by definition of the thread title, it has to be done by owners.

That's exactly why you should start your own thread. For example, there is a thread titled, "Sony AF8 vs x900F". Maybe you could start one titled, "Sony A9F vs. [insert your alternatives here]".
jsessler likes this.
post #1003 of 3132 Old 10-12-2018, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsessler View Post
You've been trolling this thread for a long time. I have the distinct impression that you're trying to defend your purchase of your Panasonic, and the only way to do that is by picking apart the new kid on the block. It's like the guy who just purcahsed a 2018 model-year car at a discount, but must knock the new and improved 2019 model to feel better about the decision. Since you don't have the TV, and this is an owners thread, consider keeping your speculation, schooling, and alleged momentary time with the AF9 to yourself. Much of what you are saying would be better suited for a general OLED discussion thread (which there are many here).

All I know is the more hours I get in front of the AF9 with varied content, the more I see the improvements over previous models. You're just not going to tease out all of the differences in a 30-60 minute evaluation.
Why dont you help yourself and simply add my screen name to your ignore list, instead of repeatedly complaining about me being a 'troll'? I dont think you are comfortable with my posts, you only want posts that spell out how amazing your tv is, so you can reassure yourself of your purchase (And btw, i maintain that the A9F IS an amazing tv, the best oled out there..but...the improvements over existing oleds are only subtle and not major...THAT is my only point). However if you have problems with what im saying, please feel free to add me to your ignore list, i have no objection to it. Far as posting here goes, if a mod tells me to stop posting here, i will immediately do so, otherwise i'll post. thx.

Last edited by JLaud25; 10-12-2018 at 11:03 AM.
post #1004 of 3132 Old 10-12-2018, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Why dont you help yourself and simply add my screen name to your ignore list, instead of repeatedly complaining about me being a 'troll'? I dont think you are comfortable with my posts, you only want posts that spell out how amazing your tv is, so you can resassure yourself of your purchase (And btw, i maintain that the A9F IS an amazing tv, the best oled out there..but...the improvements over existing oleds are only subtle and not major...THAT is my only point). However if you have problems with what im saying, please feel free to add me to your ignore list, i have no objection to it. Far as posting here goes, if a mod tells me to stop posting here, i will immediately do so, otherwise i'll post. thx.
Assumptions are being made that have no value. I agree that the A9 is an incremental upgrade. Most technology improves in small steps. Let's not fill this thread with personality differences. Let's please just move along.

Peace

Mike

post #1005 of 3132 Old 10-12-2018, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Why dont you help yourself and simply add my screen name to your ignore list, instead of repeatedly complaining about me being a 'troll'? I dont think you are comfortable with my posts, you only want posts that spell out how amazing your tv is, so you can resassure yourself of your purchase (And btw, i maintain that the A9F IS an amazing tv, the best oled out there..but...the improvements over existing oleds are only subtle and not major...THAT is my only point). However if you have problems with what im saying, please feel free to add me to your ignore list, i have no objection to it. Far as posting here goes, if a mod tells me to stop posting here, i will immediately do so, otherwise i'll post. thx.
I've reported this to the moderators. You have multiple people suggesting to you that your posts are not in keeping with the spirit of an owners thread. If a chorus of owners isn't enough to convince you, then we'll have the moderators do it for us.

Again, you're claims are based on limited exposure (if at all) to the TV. You are not an owner of this TV. Each time someone mentions a significant improvement, such as the color volume, you question if it as being an edge-case item because there is only so much content that will show it off.

The improved uniformity, sound, color volume, app responsiveness all seem significant to me.

Oh, and if you have read my posts, you'll see that as an _owner of a AF9_ I've posted about the continued buggy Android OS, and the lackluster remote, and how easy it would be to bend the display when moving it. So I don't need unicorns and rainbows, but I would like to be discussing these things with _actual owners_ vs an arm-chair authority.
knowspinzone likes this.
post #1006 of 3132 Old 10-12-2018, 11:32 AM
Administrator
Administrator

Mentioned: 362 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked: 1210
Keep your posts limited to the products being discussed. Do not post about other members.
smurraybhm likes this.

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Always post about products, never post about other members.
Join the AVS Forum Club and help support the site.
AVS Forum is not sponsored by or in any way affiliated with AV Science Inc.
post #1007 of 3132 Old 10-12-2018, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I've just watched Jurassic Park:Fallen Kingdom(4K HDR) with my wife , all i got to say is , we where blown away ...with otherword mindblowing!

The image quality is just insane and one of the best i've seen so far on a tv. The colours , contrast and High Dynamic Range (HDR) highlights, with Sonys tone mapping are just amazing!
It's actually the first time im so happy with a television.

My wife have seen so many tv's i can't even count and she said to me for the first time , that the AF9 is the best bought thing this year and i couldn't agree more.

im 40 hours in now with the AF9 and the uniformity is getting better and better , the 2 visible banding i had on 5% with the first turn on is gone , and darker parts is getting away
I'm in love with the master! and it definitely earns the name ''Master series''

I hope other owners of the AF9/A9F is getting the same feelings. Sony brought up the happy child in me

|SONY Bravia KD-55AF9|Samsung UE55KS8000|Samsung QE55Q7F|B&W 704 S2|CMC2 S2|ASW10CM S2|HKTS16 Surround|Marantz SR7009|NAD C275BEE|

Last edited by samboy87; 10-12-2018 at 02:34 PM.
post #1008 of 3132 Old 10-12-2018, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Guys ... I just cancelled my order for the 75 z9f and bought the 65 a9f. if I had a larger car and not a Jeep Wrangler I'd be watching it right now. But I have to wait until October 24th for my Christmas present.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Spizz, Daryl L and wmwilker like this.
post #1009 of 3132 Old 10-12-2018, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
Guys ... I just cancelled my order for the 75 z9f and bought the 65 a9f. if I had a larger car and not a Jeep Wrangler I'd be watching it right now. But I have to wait until October 24th for my Christmas present.

First of all Congrats!!! I hope you'll enjoy your TV when you get it!! unbeliveble you can wait that long to get it i drove around all shops and citys to get one! they where sold out everywhere. luckly one shop had 1! and i bought it faster than a bullet!

I had an order on a 65inch Z9F but cancelled it directly when i heard from the Sony authorized seller that it wasn't living up to what he expected and because of reviews aswell. Not bashing on it , it's a good tv , but not for me that have a pitch black theater room. and €3.200 is damn expansive for an LCD.

and in my theater room the A9F is the perfect match!

Keep us updated when you get your beast!

|SONY Bravia KD-55AF9|Samsung UE55KS8000|Samsung QE55Q7F|B&W 704 S2|CMC2 S2|ASW10CM S2|HKTS16 Surround|Marantz SR7009|NAD C275BEE|

Last edited by samboy87; 10-12-2018 at 02:40 PM.
post #1010 of 3132 Old 10-12-2018, 03:00 PM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 47
I just got back from an extensive in-store session with the 65 A9f using various content we were both quite familiar with. Above it was the A8. Content included 2k, 4k and 4k hdr Netflix streaming. WOW! ... what a set. Lots of subtle improvements over the 8 IMO that really added up to a punchier, more detailed (including near-black) picture with more depth and highlights. Greater color depth as well. Jeeze! Like going from a very good wine to a great wine. Not night and day, but yet some how.... night and day.
wmwilker and samboy87 like this.

Last edited by zeromothra; 10-12-2018 at 04:13 PM.
post #1011 of 3132 Old 10-12-2018, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Steve View Post
For you lucky owners, please: how is the set on upscaling 1080P, especially Netflix and Amazon? Not their 4K, but the mass of material at 1080P? Blu Ray? (Not Ultra HD but 1080P)? How is upscaling? How is the motion? Any SOE? I'm sure these questions have been asked, so please bear with me. Thanks for your patience, please pardon my over excitement.
I went from a 52" 1080i Panny plasma to the 65" a9f. Most of my viewing is recorded content from TiVos so its mostly 1080i. I watch regular stuff like every day "person A made person B disappear and/or die" on ID and OWN et al, Judge Judy, sitcoms, home improvement, etc. What I can say is: this thing is awesome. The upscaled content looks great and there aren't any motion artifacts that are bothering me. I have noticed some occasional vignetting, but I'm almost certain, at the places I've seen it, its in the source material.

1080p content from blu ray looks phenomenal. The day after I got this TV, I replaced my old dvd copy of Bladerunner (which sucked a lot on that TV -- but it was a dvd, so, you know) with the newer 4k version. That version includes a cleaned up blu ray copy. I found it absolutely beautiful.

I've been watching a lot of content from Netflix, Amazon and Hulu in all formats: HD, 4k, 4k UHD and Dolby Vision. I have to say that regular looks darned good. Just last night I was watching the end of s3 of Mr Robot from one of my TiVos. I switched to watching it from Amazon on my Apple TV (in regular HD) instead because I was doing some stuff and if I paused, the ATV will cut over to a screen saver after 2 mins. When I did the switch, I went back and forth between the two to see if I could see a difference and to me, the ATV looked slightly better. Not a lot, just a little. Anyway: still darned good.

Sony XBR65A9F | Denon AVRX4300H | Klipsch R110SW | Apple TV 4k | TiVo Bolt+ | Tivo Roamio Pro | Panasonic DP-UB820 | Harmony Elite | AC Infinity T9 | Samsung UN40MU6290
post #1012 of 3132 Old 10-12-2018, 04:11 PM

^ There were some flaws for sure (no display is perfect) and great as the motion was almost all of the time, a couple of places where it started to lose it were quite surprising during Altered Carbon. One movie we put on was somehow decidedly green ... odd. And one nature scene out of the dozen or so we saw looked somehow a bit fake and over hyped.

I can only chalk those moments up to bad settings/white balance at the moment and such since the display mode kept wanting to default back ... who knows ... One can only take things so far in-store.

The other 99.9% of the time.... OUTSTANDING!
post #1013 of 3132 Old 10-12-2018, 04:21 PM

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Just watched my first 4K UHD Bluray on my new A9F, Sciario2 and it just blew me away!!..

The amazing details, the near black performance and details near black and the dynamic tone mapping of HDR10 is amazing on this set.

I am very very happy with my upgrade from a Sony 65Z9D and afterwards I again ran the 5%, 4%, 3% and 2% above black testfiles and the 5% is after only about 6 hours of use on this set almost completely banding free and even the 2% only has a few faint black bands so I am a very happy camper now...

The slight curve of about 0,3 inches on the left upper side of the screen is forgotten... I read in the thread of the A1 that some owners also noticed that on the previous model so perhaps due to the very thin screen??... It stays cool after 3 hours of use so it is not heat related.

This screen will again keep me very very happy until Sony decides it's time for another update...

Many thanks for the advice of jrref to run one panel refresh and then use the tv normally...it's improved massively since wednesday and I consider it already 100% ...
post #1014 of 3132 Old 10-12-2018, 05:46 PM

Ok .. so what if I rented a U-Haul because I couldn't wait 14 days...hahahaha

How do you open the box???

post #1015 of 3132 Old 10-12-2018, 06:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
Ok .. so what if I rented a U-Haul because I couldn't wait 14 days...hahahaha

How do you open the box???

For unboxing and setup, I would recommend watching “Abt Electronic’s” Unboxing video. It’s pretty thorough. And congrats on the new TV. Enjoy.

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED
Samsung SMT-H3272 HDC DVR Cable Box / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BD Player
Roku Premium+ 4k / AppleTV 4K 4th Gen
Denon AVR-X4500H AV Receiver / Klipsch 5.1.2 Speakers
post #1016 of 3132 Old 10-12-2018, 09:26 PM

This set is insane.

post #1017 of 3132 Old 10-12-2018, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 23
the motion on this set is phenomenal i mean it kills my LG like its not even close and i like my LG but man its so smooth. I cant help but wish they made a 77 inch of this set lowering the oled light helped with the asbl. Now im just enjoying everything but DV is a little to dark compared to LG anybody have any idea why should i turn the gamma up
post #1018 of 3132 Old 10-13-2018, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavymetalhead55 View Post
the motion on this set is phenomenal i mean it kills my LG like its not even close and i like my LG but man its so smooth. I cant help but wish they made a 77 inch of this set lowering the oled light helped with the asbl. Now im just enjoying everything but DV is a little to dark compared to LG anybody have any idea why should i turn the gamma up

Yes .... Dolby Vision is rough on this set (right now anyway)
post #1019 of 3132 Old 10-13-2018, 07:53 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeromothra View Post
must i use DV is there a way that i can forced hdr 10 which i hear is way better then DV on the sony
post #1020 of 3132 Old 10-13-2018, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeromothra View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavymetalhead55 View Post
must i use DV is there a way that i can forced hdr 10 which i hear is way better then DV on the sony
Don't be so quick to dismiss DV. I compared a few titles where I had the UHD disc (HDR10) and the iTunes DV version from redeeming the code in the disc package. With the Dolby Vision Bright PM (assuming the picture settings are the same) I didn't see huge differences between the two - compression related stuff aside. While I'm sure DV could be improved, it's not, IMHO, the night and day difference I was expecting after Vincent's review. The DV Dark PM does do more aggressive tone mapping to preserve the extreme highlight detail at the expense of overall scene brightness, but on most stuff the difference is not huge. You can always bump the gamma a notch on the DV PM.
Daryl L and jrref like this.

Emotiva XMC-1 (w 4K board) & XPA-5, B&W CM9s2, CM8s2, CMC, Hsu VTF-15, Auralic Aries, Apple TV 4K, Sony 65A9F & Panasonic UB820

Last edited by khollister; 10-13-2018 at 09:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
master series , oled , sony a9f

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page