2018 Sony A9F Master Series OLED Owner's Thread - Page 52 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2335Likes

post #1531 of 2824 Old 11-20-2018, 04:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked: 132
I just bought the 65” A9F. It was right next to a LG C8 which I went there to buy. After tweaking both TVs and spending an hour looking at them side by side, the better color, motion handling and shadow detail won me over.
LG is a better bang for the buck but the Sony is just a tad better imo. So we’ll see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 2824 Old 11-20-2018, 06:02 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardia View Post
I just bought the 65” A9F. It was right next to a LG C8 which I went there to buy. After tweaking both TVs and spending an hour looking at them side by side, the better color, motion handling and shadow detail won me over.
LG is a better bang for the buck but the Sony is just a tad better imo. So we’ll see.
It's a better tv than c8, also better than my panasonic ez950, when next year the a9f has price drops, im sure it will also be a good bang for the buck. this year at black friday or boxing day i dont think you'll find a9f discounted because it is a recently released model.

Compared to c8, some people prefer how dolby vision displays on the c8 but on most other counts, the a9f is the superior tv. The a9 might be the best display you could have inside a dark room right now, outside of a JVC projector imo. If you found the a9f looking better next to a c8, then you made a good decision. Rather spend more and do it right the first time , than get the cheaper tv and repent later.
post #1533 of 2824 Old 11-20-2018, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6313 Post(s)
Liked: 6315
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
I can wait at least another 5yrs for 8K. I’m really interested in any advancements or changes to LG OLED panels. There are rumors of LG moving to top emission which will increase brightness (a little) and potentially mitigate burn in.

But I really want the A9F! It’s only a matter of weeks until we find what’s in store for 2019.
They could never come out with 8K in my book......I will probably not be able to see a difference from 4K to 8K.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1534 of 2824 Old 11-20-2018, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLaud25 View Post
It's a better tv than c8, also better than my panasonic ez950, when next year the a9f has price drops, im sure it will also be a good bang for the buck. this year at black friday or boxing day i dont think you'll find a9f discounted because it is a recently released model.

Compared to c8, some people prefer how dolby vision displays on the c8 but on most other counts, the a9f is the superior tv. The a9 might be the best display you could have inside a dark room right now, outside of a JVC projector imo. If you found the a9f looking better next to a c8, then you made a good decision. Rather spend more and do it right the first time , than get the cheaper tv and repent later.
I did get $500 off. Made things a little better.
post #1535 of 2824 Old 11-20-2018, 07:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:

That's what I did too- I would say more than a tad, really- maybe 2 or 3 tads,
ScottSFA likes this.
post #1536 of 2824 Old 11-20-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 View Post
I spent a significant amount of time yesterday running the A9F side-by-side with my 940C. Yes, the color is better on the A9F. Yes, it has improved contrast, but with the caveat of what almost seems like black crush after seeing the image on the 940C too. No matter what I do I simply can't get the A9F to stop obscuring detail in dark areas while playing back HDR content without raising the black level. The brightness on the 940C nearly required sunglasses after using the A9F exclusively for a few days. The 10" size increase is a very tangible improvement. It does soften the image a tad, but the overall cinematic experience is improved.

The net positive of the A9F is simply not enough to justify the expense. A9F is set to go back. After trying the 85X900F and now the 65A9F I am now forced to admit my initial $8K investment 3 years ago was better than I expected. Looks like I am going to hold off another year for an upgrade...

I can see your point. I find that adjusting the Gamma minimized the crushed blacks- I guess you felt it raised the blacks too much. For me the A9F is too bright, I dialed it back a bit. I don't think it's worse 5K over my late model plasma- either- I'm trying to decide if it's a big enough improvement to keep. So I guess you'll try a Z9D?
post #1537 of 2824 Old 11-20-2018, 07:52 PM

Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Steve View Post
I can see your point. I find that adjusting the Gamma minimized the crushed blacks- I guess you felt it raised the blacks too much. For me the A9F is too bright, I dialed it back a bit. I don't think it's worse 5K over my late model plasma- either- I'm trying to decide if it's a big enough improvement to keep. So I guess you'll try a Z9D?

What do you have your brightness at? I'm running it at 4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

65" Sony A9F
post #1538 of 2824 Old 11-20-2018, 09:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLaud25 View Post

Already discounted 15% in the UK in the earliest pre-black Friday deals. A8f seen with over 20% price drops so far.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
post #1539 of 2824 Old 11-20-2018, 09:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 800
Quote:
No, I won't be trying a Z9D despite the very tempting price. I fear it will be too much of a lateral move and I would get hit with 20% in restocking and shipping fees if I chose to return it. So I will hold out another year and see what is in store for 2019.

Sony 77A9G / Marantz SR-7012 / Martin Logan Motion 60XT, 50XT, Motion 4, Motion FX / 2 x Rythmik FV15HP / AppleTV 4K / ShieldTV
post #1540 of 2824 Old 11-20-2018, 10:45 PM
Advanced Member

Ok just finished setting up. Played Planet Earth II on OPPO 205 and HOLY MOLY. It’s ridicilous. I’m gonna be up all night watching movies.

I have a question and I hope someone can chime In here.

I am connecting the 4K Apple TV box to the HDMI input. From the OPPO I am going into a Sony A9F.

I rented Rocky on ITunes and it’s in Dolby Vision.

When I display the Info on the OPPO, it shows 4:2:2 12b signal coming in and 4:2:0 8b going out

How do I make sure it’s passing through the OPPO and showing in DV on the OLED.

Do I leave the DV setting in OPPO in Auto or Player lead or tv lead?

Anything else to change? Maybe the source Direct setting??

Also when I play a Dolby Vision disc, the A9F doesn’t offer me the Dolby Vision adjustments under picture mode. What am I not doing right!

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Bardia; 11-21-2018 at 01:25 AM.
post #1541 of 2824 Old 11-20-2018, 11:29 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 3752 Post(s)
Liked: 3443
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnollo View Post
Already discounted 15% in the UK in the earliest pre-black Friday deals. A8f seen with over 20% price drops so far.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
The A9F is discounted for BF in the UK? Interesting.
post #1542 of 2824 Old 11-21-2018, 02:46 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 32
https://www.sony.com/electronics/sup...loads/00015624

For those asking what the new firmware brings to the tv
post #1543 of 2824 Old 11-21-2018, 05:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi guys,
I received yesterday the 65” A9F
Can the TV deliver a Dolby Digital audio signal from apps (Netflix, Youtube, etc) to an Avr Receiver via eArc HDMI ?
What I have to set to get it?

tnx
post #1544 of 2824 Old 11-21-2018, 07:34 AM

Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Ok just finished setting up. Played Planet Earth II on OPPO 205 and HOLY MOLY. It’s ridicilous. I’m gonna be up all night watching movies.

I am connecting the 4K Apple TV box to the HDMI input. From the OPPO I am going into a Sony A9F.

When I display the Info on the OPPO, it shows 4:2:2 12b signal coming in and 4:2:0 8b going out

Also when I play a Dolby Vision disc, the A9F doesn’t offer me the Dolby Vision adjustments under picture mode. What am I not doing right!

Thank you in advance.
Did you go into the settings on the TV and set all inputs to enhanced 4K? Home button then upper right corner for settings.
post #1545 of 2824 Old 11-21-2018, 10:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY350Z View Post
Did you go into the settings on the TV and set all inputs to enhanced 4K? Home button then upper right corner for settings.
Just did that. BUT I still don’t see the Dolby Vision brigh/dark choices under picture mode, I’m playing the blade runner 2049 which I believe is a Dolby Vision disc.

Ok my bad, this disc is. It in DV. I just switched to Fate of the Furious and BAM. looks amazing in DV.
Now if I choose Cinema instead of one of the DV settings, is it still in DV? Are those settings just 2 “recommended” choices to watch DV content?

Last edited by Bardia; 11-21-2018 at 10:30 AM.
post #1546 of 2824 Old 11-21-2018, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1546 Post(s)
Liked: 901
Quote:

Funny enough I was going to ask owners
are they happy with HDR performance.
Is it bright enough?
I’m either going to order the 65” next week or wait until CES. If I order at Best Buy it’s a low risk purchase since I have a 45 day return window.

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
post #1547 of 2824 Old 11-21-2018, 11:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 167 Post(s)
Quoted: 4240 Post(s)
Liked: 5150
Quote:
Is it bright enough?
I’m either going to order the 65” next week or wait until CES. If I order at Best Buy it’s a low risk purchase since I have a 45 day return window.

Instead of uncertainty why don't you go over to the store and watch the sets for a while. Robert will let you play an or test anything you want. After owning the A9F and the C8, they are both excellent sets but I don't think you will find a better OLED than the A9 for a while. The A9 simply has superior upscaling and sharpness. I'm sure LG will make improvements to the C9 but I still think they won't catch up with Sony's processing for a while. What this year's shootout pointed out was overall PQ was more important than sheer peak brightness.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
post #1548 of 2824 Old 11-21-2018, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
The A9F is discounted for BF in the UK? Interesting.

Interesting that that they have Black Friday in the UK. Thanksgiving is an American holiday.
post #1549 of 2824 Old 11-21-2018, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSFA View Post
What do you have your brightness at? I'm running it at 4.

Around 42 or 43, sometimes a bit more or less.
post #1550 of 2824 Old 11-21-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Is it bright enough?

Darn, I think my post was lost. Briefly, ASK Best Buy if they'll give you the extended holiday return. For Elite members it's around January 25. I'm not currently Elite but I asked them for it anyway and they said fine. Elite Plus holiday return is until early February. Gives us time to check out CES.
post #1551 of 2824 Old 11-21-2018, 01:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1546 Post(s)
Liked: 901
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
Instead of uncertainty why don't you go over to the store and watch the sets for a while. Robert will let you play an or test anything you want. After owning the A9F and the C8, they are both excellent sets but I don't think you will find a better OLED than the A9 for a while. The A9 simply has superior upscaling and sharpness. I'm sure LG will make improvements to the C9 but I still think they won't catch up with Sony's processing for a while. What this year's shootout pointed out was overall PQ was more important than sheer peak brightness.

When I return for the holidays I’ll pay Robert a visit!
I’m definitely buying a Sony. I’m just curious what Sony’s processing with LGs 2019 OLED panels will improve upon 2018. Im sure it will be incremental at best.

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
post #1552 of 2824 Old 11-21-2018, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked: 776
Quote:

Thank you in advance.

As far as I have understood, the oppo can NOT pass DV through. It can only play it. At least last year that was the case. It can pass through HDR10 or lower only.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #1553 of 2824 Old 11-21-2018, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
As far as I have understood, the oppo can NOT pass DV through. It can only play it. At least last year that was the case. It can pass through HDR10 or lower only.
Yes just confirmed that with OPPO. So I will connect the Apple TV directly. I know neither the Apple TV or the TV’s internal YouTube app can play 4K HDR. The only way is to stream from your phone to the TV for that.
But you have to remember to select HDR in the TV menu and then change it back to Auto when you want to watch SDR content.
post #1554 of 2824 Old 11-22-2018, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Yes just confirmed that with OPPO. So I will connect the Apple TV directly. I know neither the Apple TV or the TV’s internal YouTube app can play 4K HDR. The only way is to stream from your phone to the TV for that.
But you have to remember to select HDR in the TV menu and then change it back to Auto when you want to watch SDR content.

I have a question about this setting in general. I notice a difference with HDR off and auto, some non 4K films are better one way, some another? what does the auto setting do?
post #1555 of 2824 Old 11-22-2018, 06:18 AM

[QUOTE=helvetica bold;57142180]Funny enough I was going to ask owners
Is it bright enough?

As far as HDR, I fell it's it's plenty bright. In fact for some shows like Goliath I had to turn it off or turn the brightness down, the highlights were distracting. Like real life is, sometimes. I feel the set is plenty bright, and I do a lot of daylight watching. Honestly wouldn't want much brighter set except to have some headroom for dark films.
post #1556 of 2824 Old 11-22-2018, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

[quote=Dr Steve;57146228]
Quote:
Is it bright enough?

As far as HDR, I fell it's it's plenty bright. In fact for some shows like Goliath I had to turn it off or turn the brightness down, the highlights were distracting. Like real life is, sometimes. I feel the set is plenty bright, and I do a lot of daylight watching. Honestly wouldn't want much brighter set except to have some headroom for dark films.
HDR is excellent. Best you are going to get on an OLED.

John
post #1557 of 2824 Old 11-22-2018, 06:24 AM

A question for anyone: so I can not find any way to uninstall the Sony Netflix and Amazon Prime apps. The uninstall option is grayed out. Both apps stutter when they play, and it's not subtle. I see online this is a common issue with these apps and Android systems. I see that I can do a factory reset of the set. There's a ton of apps on here that i will never ever use, 9 GBs in fact. I assume a factory reset gets rid of most of them? Is it otherwise completely safe to do a factory reset? Is this a good idea to try? I have 3 Fire TVS, an oppo 103, and will pick up an Apple 4KTV- still, seems I should be able to use the native apps.

Is it a good idea to try a factory reset?
post #1558 of 2824 Old 11-22-2018, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
A question for anyone: so I can not find any way to uninstall the Sony Netflix and Amazon Prime apps. The uninstall option is grayed out. Both apps stutter when they play, and it's not subtle. I see online this is a common issue with these apps and Android systems. I see that I can do a factory reset of the set. There's a ton of apps on here that i will never ever use, 9 GBs in fact. I assume a factory reset gets rid of most of them? Is it otherwise completely safe to do a factory reset? Is this a good idea to try? I have 3 Fire TVS, an oppo 103, and will pick up an Apple 4KTV- still, seems I should be able to use the native apps.

Is it a good idea to try a factory reset?
It can't hurt to do a factory reset but it will wipe out all of your calibration settings if your set was calibrated. The stutter is related to your ISPs internet connection to these providers. External boxes might have more buffering which minimizes this. I hear very few people with these sets having built in app problems like with previous sets. Also in the big scheme of things removing apps is not going to do anything unless yo want to load more and don't have the memory. The new OS is so fast, loaded apps are not slowing it down.

John
post #1559 of 2824 Old 11-22-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
It can't hurt to do a factory reset but it will wipe out all of your calibration settings if your set was calibrated. The stutter is related to your ISPs internet connection to these providers. External boxes might have more buffering which minimizes this. I hear very few people with these sets having built in app problems like with previous sets. Also in the big scheme of things removing apps is not going to do anything unless yo want to load more and don't have the memory. The new OS is so fast, loaded apps are not slowing it down.

Hmmm, ok. I haven't had it calibrated yet. I'm upgrading to GB internet in a few days, maybe that will help, But I have 250 MBS now, so IDK. Generally I get around 60-100 MBS when I check the speed. Am I correct in assuming that in spite of the measured speed, I could still be having rapid intermittent interruptions? I use ethernet, not wifi.
post #1560 of 2824 Old 11-22-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:

I do have a Comcast modem. I'm considering upgrading to Netgear modem and router, might that make a difference?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
master series , oled , sony a9f

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page