2018 Sony A9F Master Series OLED Owner's Thread - Page 59 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2366Likes

post #1741 of 3000 Old 12-07-2018, 06:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by demo23019 View Post
How do you check how many hours panel had been on?

On the A1E and A8F it is one of the numbers at the bottom of a page in the service menu. I imagine it would be the same place on the A9F.

As far as I remember there is a power on hours, screen on hours, and power cycle count.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1742 of 3000 Old 12-07-2018, 06:22 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Steve View Post
But you wouldn't have DV or even 4K at the same time as DD+, would you? I'm still working on this myself. Hey with a $4.5 K TV, I'll buy a few cables and devices to squeeze everything out of it

Why not? Netflix has lots of DV 4k content, and uses DD for audio (well sometimes DD+ with atmos). Streaming is not going to give you TrueHD.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #1743 of 3000 Old 12-07-2018, 07:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by adspence View Post
This is completely opposite to what I see on my AF9 - everything is 2.0 from the Sony internal apps via (e)ARC to AV receiver. My solution though is the same...to use an external player. The whole HDMI/ARC thing seems fraught with problems...aka pile of crap.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl L View Post
I don't know of anything on Netflix that's 2.0 stereo. If somebody can give me a title I will test it. I also get atmos from the built-in Netflix app. As for eARC. Your receiver has to have eARC also To use what portion of eARC It's being used at this time If I'm not mistaken.
Take a listen to the German audio track of Star Trek TNG. It is Stereo 2.0.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scharfis_brain View Post
3) Dynamic Noise reduction is NOT motion compensated, thus leaving heavy smearing, when enabling this feature.
The LG OLED has a Motion Compensated Noise Removal Filter. Even the Max-Setting would not introduce any smearing.
I DONT SEE THIS ON MY SET.
Just crank up the dynamic noise filter to maximum and you'll see smearing on textured areas like the grass on soccer games.
This is

Quote:
Quote:
My workarounds are
1) and 2): I use an external BD-Player with Netflix and Amazon-Prime. This player will resync the HDMI to the refreshrate of the source, which leads to a fluent mmotion representation. Also 2.0 audio is presented as it is to the AVR.
GOOD SOLUTION, BUT WHY NOT 5.1 SOUND?
Because 5.1 isn't being delivered with some older TV shows.
5.1 Sound or Dolby Atmos Audio via DD+ works fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1744 of 3000 Old 12-07-2018, 08:15 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6517 Post(s)
Liked: 6490
Quote:
But you wouldn't have DV or even 4K at the same time as DD+, would you? I'm still working on this myself. Hey with a $4.5 K TV, I'll buy a few cables and devices to squeeze everything out of it
Good cables are not expensive.....
lsorensen likes this.
post #1745 of 3000 Old 12-07-2018, 09:16 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
The Shield is fine for 4K and DD/DD+ from Netflix and Amazon - that's working very nicely. It just won't do DV (nor HLG for BBC). Given devices connected directly to the TV and then audio sent via (e)ARC to the amp produce a proper audio signal tells me that this is an issue at the Sony end. They've either messed up the eARC for the internal apps. I don't understand why this isn't a problem for more people though. Given what has been said (by Vincent and others) about the current DV implementation in the Sony, I'm not too concerned about that right now. I'll enjoy UHDs from the Panny UB820 and streaming from the Shield (could try the Panny I guess, not sure what the state of it's Netflix and Amazon apps is like).
post #1746 of 3000 Old 12-07-2018, 09:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Take a listen to the German audio track of Star Trek TNG. It is Stereo 2.0.

Just crank up the dynamic noise filter to maximum and you'll see smearing on textured areas like the grass on soccer games.
This is

Because 5.1 isn't being delivered with some older TV shows.
5.1 Sound or Dolby Atmos Audio via DD+ works fine.
I did not have a German audio track but I did switch from "English [Original] 5.1" to "English [Original]" in the built-in the Netflix app and with both choices the receiver was receiving DD5.1 from eARC/ARC. So I tested my Roku. I have it connected directly to the TV by HDMI with the audio going through the TV and out eARC/ARC to the receiver. Choosing "English [Original] 5.1" the receiver was receiving DD5.1. and when I chose "English [Original]" the receiver was receiving DD2.0.

So if TV's eARC/ARC is sending out DD2.0 to the receiver from the Roku, But the built-in Netflix won't but instead sends DD5.1 of that same audio track, It would be my assumption that it is the built in app with the problem and not eARC/ARC. Maybe the selections of audio track within the app itself are not currently choosing the right track on some shows. I honestly don't know.

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED
Samsung SMT-H3272 HDC DVR Cable Box / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BD Player
Roku Premium+ 4k / AppleTV 4K 4th Gen
Denon AVR-X4500H AV Receiver / Klipsch 5.1.2 Speakers
post #1747 of 3000 Old 12-07-2018, 09:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked: 64
A few quick questions:

1) Is the ABL algorithm more relaxed than the A8f? Vincent Teoh says the brightness is quite close to the C8.

2) I’ve read that the Dolby Vision implementation is quite dark. But I see that the A9f’s dynamic tone mapping is the best on the market. I plan to use HDR10 with dynamic tone mapping instead of DV. How does this compare to DV on a C8? (Basically A9f’s dynamic tone mapping vs C8’s DV).

3) Since you can’t disable DV on the T.V or the internal apps, can you choose HDR10 on an Apple TV?

4) Is the ASBL for games more relaxed now? I don’t mean games with a lot of static HUD elements like FIFA, etc, but something like Spider-Man or Last Of Us should be cool, right? (Since the HUDs are minimal and also not constantly present.)

5) Any other quirks I should know about? As far as I know, except the DV mode being dark-ish, there don’t seem be any issues with the TV?

I quite love how the SDR calibration is mapped to the HDR modes. This is the main reason I’m choosing the A9f over the C8. A8f is a no-go for me due to its aggressive ABL.

One last thing: does Calman’s Autocal work now with A9f or are we still waiting on that?

JVC DLA-x550 Projector | 140 Inch Matte White Screen | Polk 7.1 System: TSi 300, CS20, DSW500 | Marantz sr6011 receiver
OPPO UDP-203 | Sennheiser RS 175 Wireless Headphones
LG 55inch Passive 3D TV | Sony HTiB 5.1 | Apple TV 3 |
Philips Hue mood lighting
post #1748 of 3000 Old 12-07-2018, 11:28 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Scheduled for delivery/installation today with Geek Squad. For those have used Geek Squad, what can I expect in terms of how they set it up? Anything to be aware of or careful about? One of the first posters in this thread said they rested their hands on the back of the TV, which may have damaged it.

Also, I’m coming from an old LED TV (Samsung) from around 2011/2012. What should I expect from OLED generally? Are there any tips or things I should do right away with A9F?

Thank you!!
post #1749 of 3000 Old 12-07-2018, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 295
Quote:
Originally Posted by badshar View Post
Scheduled for delivery/installation today with Geek Squad. For those have used Geek Squad, what can I expect in terms of how they set it up? Anything to be aware of or careful about? One of the first posters in this thread said they rested their hands on the back of the TV, which may have damaged it.

Also, I’m coming from an old LED TV (Samsung) from around 2011/2012. What should I expect from OLED generally? Are there any tips or things I should do right away with A9F?

Thank you!!
Take a look at ABT's unboxing it covers how best to unbox, attach the stand and how to lift the A9F.

post #1750 of 3000 Old 12-07-2018, 12:14 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 3832 Post(s)
Liked: 3539
With the easel-style stand, it's definitely a bit tricky to set up.
post #1751 of 3000 Old 12-07-2018, 12:51 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Geek Squad person came and said they can not conceal wires over fireplace. The Best Buy/Magnolia cashier sold us that this will be done (we showed them a pic of the living room AND the fireplace) and sold us $1000 worth of accessories/services based on that! This is absolutely ridiculous, especially since both Best Buy AND Geek Squad’s website say they conceal wires. This Geek Squad person said they will have to rip off the wall and leave it unpatched and that an electrician will be needed to do all the proper wiring. WHAT?! So why did Best Buy tell me that it will be done?! As soon as they looked at the pic of my room and fireplace, they added $100 “Mounting over fireplace” service. They also added “In-wall power extension” and “Custom installation” for a total of $150! So they definitely knew what they were doing.

I made a mistake.

post #1752 of 3000 Old 12-08-2018, 09:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
Was there a recent firmware update for the A9F that addressed the dim Dolby Vision issue? Some rumblings in the A1E thread seem to think so. However I feel it might be a placebo effect...

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
post #1753 of 3000 Old 12-08-2018, 03:00 PM

Is the Object-Based Rendering feature worth the hype? What are your impressions?

JVC DLA-x550 Projector | 140 Inch Matte White Screen | Polk 7.1 System: TSi 300, CS20, DSW500 | Marantz sr6011 receiver
post #1754 of 3000 Old 12-09-2018, 01:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Hey all, have a 55" A9F on the way for the office. Wanted to ask what is the general consensus of the built in streaming apps HDR quality? Is it recommended to use an external player for either HDR, or DV? I recall hearing the DV presentation was lacking, but haven't been keeping up on the current status of it. If it is still not performing well I might just get a chromecast ultra, fire tv 4k, apple TV 4k or XB1X.

LivingRoom: LG OLED77C8P /Oppo UDP-203/Denon X8500H/SVS SB16 ULTRA/M5300-PM/Paradigm 85F, 45c, Mythos Gem XL x4, SVS Prime Elevation x4 /PS4 Pro/X1X/Switch/AppleTV 4K
Bedroom: LG OLED65E6P / Oppo BDP103D / AppleTV // Office: Sony 55A9F / X1X
ISF Level I Certified, CalMan VideoPro, ChromaPure, i1D3 Pro, i1Pro, C6 HDR 2000, VideoForge Pro, Lightspace
post #1755 of 3000 Old 12-09-2018, 06:18 AM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 3802 Post(s)
Liked: 3664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie2980 View Post
Hey all, have a 55" A9F on the way for the office. Wanted to ask what is the general consensus of the built in streaming apps HDR quality? Is it recommended to use an external player for either HDR, or DV? I recall hearing the DV presentation was lacking, but haven't been keeping up on the current status of it. If it is still not performing well I might just get a chromecast ultra, fire tv 4k, apple TV 4k or XB1X.

“For the office” , will you get any work done ? Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG 77C8
LG 55B7A
DirectTV/ ATV4k/Panasonic UB820/Sony Z9F Soundbar
Calman Enthusiast, Lightspace, C6 HDR 2000 I1Pro2
post #1756 of 3000 Old 12-09-2018, 06:26 AM

Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Quote:
True, the LG OLEDs handle DV better than the Sony's. But an external device won't help (it's the display, not the built-in apps).
Sammie2980 likes this.
post #1757 of 3000 Old 12-09-2018, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by badshar View Post
Geek Squad person came and said they can not conceal wires over fireplace. The Best Buy/Magnolia cashier sold us that this will be done (we showed them a pic of the living room AND the fireplace) and sold us $1000 worth of accessories/services based on that! This is absolutely ridiculous, especially since both Best Buy AND Geek Squad’s website say they conceal wires. This Geek Squad person said they will have to rip off the wall and leave it unpatched and that an electrician will be needed to do all the proper wiring. WHAT?! So why did Best Buy tell me that it will be done?! As soon as they looked at the pic of my room and fireplace, they added $100 “Mounting over fireplace” service. They also added “In-wall power extension” and “Custom installation” for a total of $150! So they definitely knew what they were doing.

I made a mistake.

A quick call and you should be able to return it and get almost all your money back.
post #1758 of 3000 Old 12-09-2018, 06:40 AM

Quote:

I have a 4K Apple TV and a new Amazon Fire stick feeding into my A9F. The built in Netflix and Amazon apps are jumpy, I wouldn't use them- the Sony Rep confirmed there's a problem with them- the external players are terrific. DV is spectacular on both boxes, not dim, no problem- it's beautiful and worth having. The Amazon Fire Stick is only around $40, basically free, the ATV is a bit pricey but hey, it's a $4500 TV! Very worthwhile addition. The set is very bright, no dimming issues at all, and DV is NOT dark- in fact I could crank it up to be even brighter if needed but it's not.
helvetica bold and Sammie2980 like this.
post #1759 of 3000 Old 12-09-2018, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
Was there a recent firmware update for the A9F that addressed the dim Dolby Vision issue? Some rumblings in the A1E thread seem to think so. However I feel it might be a placebo effect...

The last update I got was 2 weeks ago when I bought the set. I do not find DV dim in any way- Daredevil, which was one of the first shows in DV that a lot of people watched- is a dark show- but I've got a bunch of DV content from itunes now, and Netflix has a lot- Amazon only has Jack Ryan, AFAIK- all are bright, bold, beautiful- I'd say DV is definitely worth pursuing. Not dim at all, not even compared to good old plain 4K HDR
post #1760 of 3000 Old 12-09-2018, 10:47 AM
j7f

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hi, all...

Just bought the panel and am, for the most part, quite pleased.

However,I have a particular concern regarding the physical aspect of the panel.

When I'm viewing it from the side, we'll say, anything more acute than 45° off center - the panel seems to split into 3 vertical, even sections. In other words, it splits into thirds. For clarification, it doesn't split into 3 similar pictures. The panel itself looks like it's composed of 3 panels.
Does this mean it's actually cracked?

You can see this occur when off or on. From anywhere head on, the image is perfection.

I'm on my phone currently and can't upload a picture. However, is this a thing?

Otherwise, it's perfect in just about every way.

Thanks!
post #1761 of 3000 Old 12-09-2018, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys ..my YouTube app in my af9 is not showing in hdr I thought this was fixed already ?? I have to manually switch on hdr under action menu then video options ?? Any help ? Also Netflix app work fine for Dolby vision but ultra 4K hdr movies doesn’t turn on the hdr on the tv have to manually do it ..
post #1762 of 3000 Old 12-09-2018, 02:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 184 Post(s)
Quoted: 4379 Post(s)
Liked: 5370
What's interesting is I updated my A1E to the new Oreo firmware and i'm getting YouTube HDR! I double checked it and it is working. That said I wonder why the latest firmware on the A9F doesn't give you YouTube HDR? Anything special that needs to be done?

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
post #1763 of 3000 Old 12-09-2018, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
“For the office” , will you get any work done ? Lol
Well when I work form home and taking a break I might have something going, otherwise it's just background noise. It will mainly get use when I am just online at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillP View Post
True, the LG OLEDs handle DV better than the Sony's. But an external device won't help (it's the display, not the built-in apps).
I thought it was just the internal apps as some of the processing is off loaded to whatever device is sending the DV signal which was the issue people had with Sony's DV implementation.

Quote:
I have a 4K Apple TV and a new Amazon Fire stick feeding into my A9F. The built in Netflix and Amazon apps are jumpy, I wouldn't use them- the Sony Rep confirmed there's a problem with them- the external players are terrific. DV is spectacular on both boxes, not dim, no problem- it's beautiful and worth having. The Amazon Fire Stick is only around $40, basically free, the ATV is a bit pricey but hey, it's a $4500 TV! Very worthwhile addition. The set is very bright, no dimming issues at all, and DV is NOT dark- in fact I could crank it up to be even brighter if needed but it's not.
Have you noticed any performance differences between DV from either of those devices VS the internal apps DV presentation?

Thx guys!
chunon likes this.

LivingRoom: LG OLED77C8P /Oppo UDP-203/Denon X8500H/SVS SB16 ULTRA/M5300-PM/Paradigm 85F, 45c, Mythos Gem XL x4, SVS Prime Elevation x4 /PS4 Pro/X1X/Switch/AppleTV 4K
Bedroom: LG OLED65E6P / Oppo BDP103D / AppleTV // Office: Sony 55A9F / X1X
ISF Level I Certified, CalMan VideoPro, ChromaPure, i1D3 Pro, i1Pro, C6 HDR 2000, VideoForge Pro, Lightspace
post #1764 of 3000 Old 12-09-2018, 02:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 448
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
What's interesting is I updated my A1E to the new Oreo firmware and i'm getting YouTube HDR! I double checked it and it is working. That said I wonder why the latest firmware on the A9F doesn't give you YouTube HDR? Anything special that needs to be done?
I have the latest firmware update from November 15 and I tried and cannot get HDR on the YouTube app built-in on my A9F either. I even reset the app. Made no difference. I was checking with material on the 4K HDR channel. The material on that same channel will play in HDR from my Roku box though.

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED
Samsung SMT-H3272 HDC DVR Cable Box / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BD Player
Roku Premium+ 4k / AppleTV 4K 4th Gen
Denon AVR-X4500H AV Receiver / Klipsch 5.1.2 Speakers
post #1765 of 3000 Old 12-09-2018, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Same here no hdr on af9 internal you tube app .maybe a factory reset ? What about Netflix for you ?? I get the Dolby vision icon with options for bright or dark but no hdr when I use ultra hdr 4K movies
post #1766 of 3000 Old 12-09-2018, 03:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1648 Post(s)
Liked: 1028
Quote:
Thanks Dr Steve, happy to hear you're enjoying the new TV! Im sitting on the sidelines until CES. Also two weeks ago an idiot rear-ended me and totaled my car! I suffered bruised ribs and my poor mom fractured her sternum. Now i have to get a new car but I still have my eye on the A9F. Perhaps I should have bought the darn TV already–life is too short!
post #1767 of 3000 Old 12-10-2018, 04:07 AM

So I just placed an order for a 65 inch A9f.

Is it safer to wall-mount it or do a tabletop installation?
I do have a thick 11 inch concrete wall but I’m a little worried about all the weight being handed over to the stand. As I understand it, the bracket doesn’t connect to the oled panel but rather the foldable stand.

Has anyone wall mounted it? Am I worrying too much?

post #1768 of 3000 Old 12-10-2018, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivas1015 View Post
So I just placed an order for a 65 inch A9f.

Is it safer to wall-mount it or do a tabletop installation?
I do have a thick 11 inch concrete wall but I’m a little worried about all the weight being handed over to the stand. As I understand it, the bracket doesn’t connect to the oled panel but rather the foldable stand.

Has anyone wall mounted it? Am I worrying too much?
I wall mounted my 65 A9F and I don't have any worries about it. It's solidly attached and comes with a specific wallmount screw to hold the stand closed and secure. With all the weight really in the stand/speakers) I think I'd be more worried if the panel was attached to the mount instead since the stand would be pulling down on it.
srinivas1015 likes this.
post #1769 of 3000 Old 12-10-2018, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 32
AFAIK there's no HDR yet in the Youtube app. Only way to get HDR on Youtube is via Chromecasting to the TV.
post #1770 of 3000 Old 12-10-2018, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

The XB1X is terrible for streaming. Netflix is outputting DV mode for all content, which looks terrible. Netflix seems to claim microsoft told them to do it that way, but prime doesn't, and netflix does the same on the ps4 pro apparently, so clearly it is a case of netflix doing something stupid on consoles.

I don't know how the internal apps are on the A9F, but on the A1E they at least youtube, netflix and prime both work great. I can't imagine wanting an external device for streaming.

Len Sorensen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
master series , oled , sony a9f

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page