2018 Sony A9F Master Series OLED Owner's Thread - Page 72 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2380Likes

post #2131 of 3059 Old 01-14-2019, 03:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by scharfis_brain View Post
Hello,

2) Watching Netflix and Amazon Prime video seems always to be sent to an internal 60Hz Framebuffer. Motionflow and Film Cadence detection seem to try to get rid of the present judder. This is not always successful, leaving severe judder in many situations.
I use Motionflow cranked up to max. settings, as I *really* like the SOE. I cannot stand judder.
The LG OLED was simply perfect in this situation. It seems, the LG OLED internally synced the OLED to the framerate of the source, leaving no judder at all with TruMotion at max. settings.
When I watch Netflix and Youtube via the internal App, the motion seems to be stuttering and I was assuming that the refresh rate is not syncing to the FPS of the content... though I couldn't put my finger on it until now that you described the same thing. Motionflow seems to somewhat remedy the issue, but its not a flawless solution. This is a shame since the A9F finally has more than capable hardware to support a stutter-free Android viewing experience.

I've owned an A1E before buying an A9F and it seems to me that not only the amount of customization of MotionFlow has declined but also the quality of the interpolation. Now to be clear: I don't want to introduce SOE, but the A1E in my opinion was able to erase the strobe effect without introducing artifacts in the process.

With the A9F, it seems not possible anymore to get to that perfect balance between preserving the film look and getting rid of the strobe effect. I'm achieving the best results when I set MotionFlow to Custom and set Smoothness to 2 while leaving CineMotion off. This setting looks OK in most cases, but faster camera panning still shows the strobe effect that I did not see on the A1E.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2132 of 3059 Old 01-14-2019, 05:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Quoted: 4474 Post(s)
Liked: 5487
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFanMTV View Post
Guys can anyone of you tell me how different does Dolby Atmos sound when passed through eARC channel in lossless format ? Is it significantly better than lossy transmission over HDMI 2.0 ARC ?
The answer to your question is a matter of personal taste but in my case I notice a significant difference with eARC. Not thinking about it, all of a sudden I started getting a much better sound field then realized my AVR got the eARC update and was using the lossless format.
TVFanMTV likes this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
post #2133 of 3059 Old 01-14-2019, 07:40 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6677 Post(s)
Liked: 6672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl L View Post
I use a table top stand. Raises my TV up nicely.
Looks good, you can not wall mount?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optics406 View Post
I have had the A9f for a couple of months and love it. I have tell feb 11 to return for a full return and wondering what you guys think of returning and getting the lg c9 because I really want the hdmi 2.1 features. I mostly game on all consoles and pc via gtx 1080ti. If only Sony would add vrr mode to there hdmi I would keep easily. I have a gsync monitor for my pc and the variable frame rate tech is a game changer imo.
There are some that feel that HDMI 2.1 will not be what it should be, meaning it will not be fully supported. Just remember the grass is not always greener on the other side, then again you could switch back to a A9F again if the C9 is not all that.... .
mchamblissII likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2134 of 3059 Old 01-14-2019, 10:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Looks good, you can not wall mount?
I probably could. But considering I would need to have somebody do it for me I did not want to put them to that trouble. I still consider possibly doing it sometime in the future considering the way my sister stops through the room shaking everything. I get this on easy feeling it's going to topple over, Though it is quite a sturdy stand. Has nothing to do with her weight either. She just stops when she walks.Drives me batty. lol

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED
Samsung SMT-H3272 HDC DVR Cable Box / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BD Player
Roku Premium+ 4k / AppleTV 4K 4th Gen
Denon AVR-X4500H AV Receiver / Klipsch 5.1.2 Speakers
post #2135 of 3059 Old 01-14-2019, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 3946 Post(s)
Liked: 3654
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVFanMTV View Post
Guys can anyone of you tell me how different does Dolby Atmos sound when passed through eARC channel in lossless format ? Is it significantly better than lossy transmission over HDMI 2.0 ARC ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
The answer to your question is a matter of personal taste but in my case I notice a significant difference with eARC. Not thinking about it, all of a sudden I started getting a much better sound field then realized my AVR got the eARC update and was using the lossless format.
What source are you using that's sending Dolby Atmos in a lossless format from the A9F to the AVR? The Atmos that is sent from the display's embedded apps via eARC is a lossy format called Dolby MAT, the same format the Apple TV 4K uses with some of its apps like Netflix.

I tried testing the local network storage>A9F>Denon X4500H eARC connection for lossless transmission but couldn't find an application that would load on the A9F that would allow lossless output. I believe it's supposed to work(per spec), but I don't know of any real-world application where it does actually work.
post #2136 of 3059 Old 01-14-2019, 09:13 PM

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knownasgyates11 View Post
Nice. Next time reboot the router first. Should do it fortnightly. It’s just cheap device at the end of the day. It runs Unix and it gets memory leaks which creates all sorts of unusual behaviours. Mine often shows itself with lag spikes whilst gaming and stuttering sound on Netflix.

Occasionally android needs a kick in the guts too.
Rebooting a router is one of those old wives tales that can give the illusion it's the source of the problem, but ultimately, rebooting just disconnects the problem PC/App operating in the home and/or masks a problem home network design. If you have to reboot your router on a regular basis, best to look at what's causing the network issues.
post #2137 of 3059 Old 01-15-2019, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielDisney View Post
I have spent some time with the TV tonight to see if I can figure things out. Wanted to see if I can sort out that annoying stutter issue from Netflix on the Apple TV. So I powered everything down, unplugged everything, including my router. Left everything for a few mins, then powered the router on first, then the TV, Apple TV, and Bose sound system. Cleared the cache from the TV, then manually restarted the TV again through the settings menu just to make sure. Went to my go to scene on a series of unfortunate events to test for stutter and boom! The stutter is gone! The scene is S3E6 at 47 mins if anyone wants to test. Its about 2 mins of constant panning over a collage of photos and shows any stutter/motion issues. I know what to do if I have the issue again.
Nice. Next time reboot the router first. Should do it fortnightly. It’s just cheap device at the end of the day. It runs Unix and it gets memory leaks which creates all sorts of unusual behaviours. Mine often shows itself with lag spikes whilst gaming and stuttering sound on Netflix.

Occasionally android needs a kick in the guts too. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
The combination of what I did seemed to do the trick for me. I suppose my router probably hasn’t been rebooted for months, maybe even a year. Everything seems to be running fine now. I will maybe one per month reboot the router and clear the cache from the TV to keep things running smoothly. Thanks for all your help
post #2138 of 3059 Old 01-15-2019, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsessler View Post
Quote:

Occasionally android needs a kick in the guts too. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/wink.gif[/IMG]
Rebooting a router is one of those old wives tales that can give the illusion it's the source of the problem, but ultimately, rebooting just disconnects the problem PC/App operating in the home and/or masks a problem home network design. If you have to reboot your router on a regular basis, best to look at what's causing the network issues.
I understand what you’re saying, but say if a router has been running for a year with out rebooting, could it not be wise to reboot to clear stuff and restablish connections? In my case I’m not sure anything else would have caused the issue. I have more than enough bandwidth to playback 4K without issue. I’m not exactly sure that the issue was with the router, I think it was probably more a case of all of my playback devices needed a hard reset, and the connections to the WiFi restablished if that makes sense. Either way, there was a play back issue somewhere, and this is what has resolved it in my case.
post #2139 of 3059 Old 01-15-2019, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 47
2018 Sony A9F Master Series OLED Owner's Thread

Ok just received my A9F. It was shipped by Robert at Value Electronics on a pallet so it would remain upright (as shown on the fist pic) but was received without the pallet and with minor damage to bottom of the box. The directions warn not to set the tv on its face, damage could occur. Does anyone know what damage could occur, physical or visual on the screen like banding?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7.2.4 Anthem AVM60
Marantz MM9000, MM7055, Odyssey Stratos Stereo Extreme amps
Revel F52's and C52 center (4)M106 surrounds (4) C763L ceiling
Zappiti One HDR 4K, OPPO UDP-203

Last edited by veger69; 01-15-2019 at 01:29 PM.
post #2140 of 3059 Old 01-15-2019, 01:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veger69 View Post
Ok just received my A9F. It was shipped by Robert at Value Electronics on a pallet so it would remain upright (as shown on the fist pic) but was received without the pallet and with minor damage to bottom of the box. The directions warn not to set the tv on its face, damage could occur. Does anyone know what damage could occur, physical or visual on the screen like banding?

The Sony packing is excellent and as long as you don't see any damages on the the flat sides, which i don't see from your pictures, you should be fine.

John
post #2141 of 3059 Old 01-15-2019, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

7.2.4 Anthem AVM60
post #2142 of 3059 Old 01-15-2019, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The Sony packing is excellent and as long as you don't see any damages on the the flat sides, which i don't see from your pictures, you should be fine.

Yeah I’m hopeful that it’s ok but in reading the directions they tell you not to lay the TV on its face they show a table with a protective cloth over it. So I’m assuming it’s not physical damage.

7.2.4 Anthem AVM60
post #2143 of 3059 Old 01-15-2019, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Wow! That box looks pretty rough, I mean how was it handled to end up like that... Hope your A9F is intact.
post #2144 of 3059 Old 01-15-2019, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1731 Post(s)
Liked: 1095
TechRadar had a hands on with the A9G.
Sounds like only a cosmetic change. No additional PQ improvements at least first impressions.

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/so...a-a9g-ag9-oled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kinglm, value and jrref like this.

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
post #2145 of 3059 Old 01-15-2019, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My A9F was shipped by Fedex and delivery guy said they didn’t load a dolly on his truck so the dude literally carried it on his back then dropped it in front of the house and when my wife told him please help to move it inside. Due to the size and weight, he cartwheeled it in because it was double boxed and he didn’t know what was inside

Needless to say when I saw security footage my heart almost dropped but yeah after all that the TV was fine, good packaging for sure
kinglm likes this.
post #2146 of 3059 Old 01-15-2019, 11:16 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 31
[QUOTE=jsessler;57440010]Rebooting a router is one of those old wives tales that can give the illusion it's the source of the problem, but ultimately, rebooting just disconnects the problem PC/App operating in the home and/or masks a problem home network design. If you have to reboot your router on a regular basis, best to look at what's causing the network issues.[/QUOTE

I’ve worked in ICT for 39 years the last 19 @ Cisco as a systems engineer. We owned Linksys for awhile and I had a good personal relationship with their software support teams. I’ve talked to hundreds of customers from SMB to huge enterprises. I can vouch categorically that cheap ass products all suffer from software defects the most prolific are memory leaks. Memory leaks will manifest itself in a myriad of ways. Even we at Cisco aren’t perfect but we do our best to resolve our software issues. Just search our site we post everything. That is good and bad.

On my cable service I have a Netgear router. Even ran a Cisco-Meraki MX for awhile just for troubleshooting ( netgear in bridge mode). Doing significant packet captures and I could see flows timing out and some not resetablishing. Reboot the cable modem boom flows normal again. Yes it tears down application sessions and forces the app so it could be masking poor app performance. The problem in bridge mode though it took a lot longer for memory issues manifest because it wasn’t run as a full router.

Here is another way to look at it.

You purchase a multi thousand dollar tv and switch it off all the time. Yet we run our routers for months and don’t touch them unless there is a power outage or they reboot on their own (my netgear cable modem does that). Home brand routers are generally put together for less than $100. Even my Mac with significantly more R&D behind it requires a full power down every 4 weeks because the OS and apps just spaz out. Microsoft office is usually the main culprit. Although touch wood they have fixed PowerPoint issue which used to explode in the middle of presentations. Took them over 5 years.

Your are right if you have other problems rebooting the router isn’t going to fix it. But it can be a cause for sporadic performance issues. It’s a 2 minute troubleshooting option.
helvetica bold and bobbyg53 like this.
post #2147 of 3059 Old 01-16-2019, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglm View Post
Wow! That box looks pretty rough, I mean how was it handled to end up like that... Hope your A9F is intact.

The tv looks great so no problem so far. Great boxing!

Keenan and jrref like this.

7.2.4 Anthem AVM60
post #2148 of 3059 Old 01-16-2019, 01:24 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglm View Post
Yes, it looks as if the door rollers had been rubbing against the box as the driver made previous stops opening and closing the door.
post #2149 of 3059 Old 01-16-2019, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

2018 Sony A9F Master Series OLED Owner's Thread

Ok new issue I’m watching vudu and unfortunately the hdmi I’m using for the tv connection from the receiver doesn’t support ARC so I’ve got a optical cable connection from the tv to my avm60. Which played Dolby 3/2 when watching Netflix but vudu is only showing Dolby 2.0. I have the audio on the TV set to Audio system. Is there something I’m doing wrong or does Sony not want people to use Vudu?

Update: this from Sony support
The movie must be played in either the HD or the HDX format.

My lg had no problem playing UHD content w/5.1 Dolby
I have my tv connected by Ethernet. Shouldn’t it be an option?

7.2.4 Anthem AVM60

Last edited by veger69; 01-16-2019 at 02:12 PM.
post #2150 of 3059 Old 01-16-2019, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Ok new issue I’m watching vudu and unfortunately the hdmi I’m using for the tv connection from the receiver doesn’t support ARC so I’ve got a optical cable connection from the tv to my avm60. Which played Dolby 3/2 when watching Netflix but vudu is only showing Dolby 2.0. I have the audio on the TV set to Audio system. Is there something I’m doing wrong or does Sony not want people to use Vudu?

Update: this from Sony support
The movie must be played in either the HD or the HDX format.

My lg had no problem playing UHD content w/5.1 Dolby
I have my tv connected by Ethernet. Shouldn’t it be an option?

There is a bug with the Vudu App. I would PM Shoman94 for the details.

John
post #2151 of 3059 Old 01-16-2019, 05:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
There is a bug with the Vudu App. I would PM Shoman94 for the details.

Only found a Shoman64 is that who you meant?

7.2.4 Anthem AVM60
post #2152 of 3059 Old 01-16-2019, 06:05 PM
Advanced Member

I’ve changed the game picture mode to color 0 when watching msnbc to keep the peacock from burning the red yellow and orange colors into the screen. Now the peacock is there but in shades of white and grey. Is there any danger of those colors causing burn-in?

7.2.4 Anthem AVM60
post #2153 of 3059 Old 01-17-2019, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 22
After some serious thought on my Sony A9F. I returned if before my return window closed. I was impressed with the PQ and
how clean the panel was. But I could not get past how Sony replaced A9f with the A9g so quickly. Why even bother with the effort,
They should have waited for 2019 CES and came out with a9g with 2.1 like LG, Especially in a 77 inch .Rumors from LG display ,a 65 8k with possible 2.1 hdmi-possible from Sony release around SEPT.

. So I will wait. If you are thinking about a9f or a9g I would advise to wait. Alot of coin to drop to
be obsolete within months. Hurts to buy a flagship Sony tv and just 3 weeks later to be replace by a new model.And you know the price will drop on the a9f when the a9g is released in the spring.I was smart to buy in December to time my return window to cover

the 2019 ces show just in case Sony tried to bitch slap me. Not this time Sony. I out smarted you this time. The a9G is a waste
of time. A mistake if you buy one.My 2 cents.

KILLINGSOB
post #2154 of 3059 Old 01-17-2019, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLINGSOB View Post
After some serious thought on my Sony A9F. I returned if before my return window closed. I was impressed with the PQ and
how clean the panel was. But I could not get past how Sony replaced A9f with the A9g so quickly. Why even bother with the effort,
They should have waited for 2019 CES and came out with a9g with 2.1 like LG, Especially in a 77 inch .Rumors from LG display ,a 65 8k with possible 2.1 hdmi-possible from Sony release around SEPT.

. So I will wait. If you are thinking about a9f or a9g I would advise to wait. Alot of coin to drop to
be obsolete within months. Hurts to buy a flagship Sony tv and just 3 weeks later to be replace by a new model.And you know the price will drop on the a9f when the a9g is released in the spring.I was smart to buy in December to time my return window to cover

the 2019 ces show just in case Sony tried to bitch slap me. Not this time Sony. I out smarted you this time. The a9G is a waste

KILLINGSOB
I'm confused. You liked the TV, but didn't like that Sony release the A9G so soon. So you returned the A9F, although you don't plan on getting the A9G. ??
Spizz, ScottSFA and LorHan like this.
post #2155 of 3059 Old 01-18-2019, 04:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked: 785
Question about UHD players especially one with deep color settings an this tv? Should it be on or off? When I had the Sony X800 I was told to keep deep color on in the player settings and off on the other brands. Anyone have any thoughts on this? It’s a lil off topic but I am Using the A9F and I’m going to pick a up Sony X700 for now and a Panasonic 820 in the near future.

Sony 55 A9F
Panasonic DP-UB820
Sony UBP-X700
Samsung HW-K950 Dolby Atmos sound bar
post #2156 of 3059 Old 01-18-2019, 10:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1429 Post(s)
Liked: 824
Quote:

KILLINGSOB
The A9G has not replaced the A9F yet. From what I am reading it won't happen until late summer, so the A9G will replace the A9F at one year, which is exactly as long as it took LG to replace the C8 with the C9. Being announced at CES is not the same as being released and shipped. Reports from someone that all the new Sony models at CES were coming in the spring seem to have been a misunderstanding by someone (quite possibly the person that claimed it).

What is different this year is Sony actually talking about products coming in the second half of the year at CES. They usually seem to have waited until the early summer to talk about those.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #2157 of 3059 Old 01-18-2019, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
If you are thinking about a9f or a9g I would advise to wait. Alot of coin to drop to

How can it be obsolete if the A9G hasn't shipped? I'm not saying you shouldn't wait but it's not like you will actually take delivery of a A9G anytime soon.
post #2158 of 3059 Old 01-18-2019, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I read the new A9g has a new panel and remote and possible improvements in other areas.I will wait for reviews and

thoughts on differences from the a9f and a9g. Also in a few months when the a9g is released the price will drop on the a9f.I was willing
to pay 4500 for a flag ship tv if it was not being replaced for 9 months. But 3 months no way. The z9d was a flagship tv for 2 years.
The a9f has no future. Replaced by a9g after 3 months of its release and no 2.1 hdmi.Why would you keep it?
post #2159 of 3059 Old 01-18-2019, 12:05 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
The A9G has not replaced the A9F yet. From what I am reading it won't happen until late summer, so the A9G will replace the A9F at one year, which is exactly as long as it took LG to replace the C8 with the C9. Being announced at CES is not the same as being released and shipped. Reports from someone that all the new Sony models at CES were coming in the spring seem to have been a misunderstanding by someone (quite possibly the person that claimed it).

What is different this year is Sony actually talking about products coming in the second half of the year at CES. They usually seem to have waited until the early summer to talk about those.
This isn't really the right thread for this discussion. But that said, the A9F was not announced at CES last year and was only "leaked" to be coming around Sept last year, which it did. With the A9G there are already info pages up at the Sony site extolling the virtues of the new displays, we didn't see that happen for the A9F until around Sept. I'm guessing the A9G will be available for purchase around April.

Last edited by Keenan; 01-18-2019 at 02:48 PM.
post #2160 of 3059 Old 01-18-2019, 01:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
I read the new A9g has a new panel and remote and possible improvements in other areas.I will wait for reviews and

thoughts on differences from the a9f and a9g. Also in a few months when the a9g is released the price will drop on the a9f.I was willing
to pay 4500 for a flag ship tv if it was not being replaced for 9 months. But 3 months no way. The z9d was a flagship tv for 2 years.
The a9f has no future. Replaced by a9g after 3 months of its release and no 2.1 hdmi.Why would you keep it?
This early "review" didn't seem to suggest much different on the PQ front...https://www.techradar.com/reviews/so...a-a9g-ag9-oled
helvetica bold likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
master series , oled , sony a9f

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page