2018 Sony A9F Master Series OLED Owner's Thread - Page 73 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2380Likes

Old 01-18-2019, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglm View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLINGSOB View Post
I read the new A9g has a new panel and remote and possible improvements in other areas.I will wait for reviews and

thoughts on differences from the a9f and a9g. Also in a few months when the a9g is released the price will drop on the a9f.I was willing
to pay 4500 for a flag ship tv if it was not being replaced for 9 months. But 3 months no way. The z9d was a flagship tv for 2 years.[IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
The a9f has no future. Replaced by a9g after 3 months of its release and no 2.1 hdmi.Why would you keep it?
This early "review" didn't seem to suggest much different on the PQ front...https://www.techradar.com/reviews/so...a-a9g-ag9-oled
All early looks and data say same panel and chipset for the A9G. Biggest change I see is the stand (I actually like the A9F stand but understand why it can be a problem for people), and what looks like a reduction in sound channels. I don't see anything that would make it worth swapping out for the same size, but what is a huge draw to me is that you can get a 77 inch size with the new A9G which the A9F unfortunately doesnt offer...
kinglm likes this.

Last edited by Pagemaster_500; 01-18-2019 at 02:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2019, 02:43 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 22
A interview with a sony rep , He said they had to tweek the ultimate chip for the new panel. Another rep mentioned a new remote also.
i do prefer the a9f design but I like the idea of a 77 inch.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:11 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6661 Post(s)
Liked: 6644
Quote:
Originally Posted by veger69 View Post
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by whlkev View Post
My A9F was shipped by Fedex and delivery guy said they didn’t load a dolly on his truck so the dude literally carried it on his back then dropped it in front of the house and when my wife told him please help to move it inside. Due to the size and weight, he cartwheeled it in because it was double boxed and he didn’t know what was inside

Needless to say when I saw security footage my heart almost dropped but yeah after all that the TV was fine, good packaging for sure
Looks like the box did its job, protect's the goods on the inside is all that matter's

Quote:
After some serious thought on my Sony A9F. I returned if before my return window closed. I was impressed with the PQ and
how clean the panel was. But I could not get past how Sony replaced A9f with the A9g so quickly.
So quickly, odds are that will not be released until September, but well see what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2019, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Sony is in the business of selling tvs. Can't imagine they would show a tv at the ces show in Jan. Rush to put it on their website. Then drag their feet to bring in 3/4 of the year later. 3 month before they announce 2020 tv's. Who would buy them with no black Friday deals and no 2.1 hdmi.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 203 Post(s)
Quoted: 5071 Post(s)
Liked: 3581
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
There is a bug with the Vudu App. I would PM Shoman94 for the details.
What bug? The only issue that I know of with Vudu is not being able to access picture settings for HDR.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
Old 01-18-2019, 07:03 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Sony is in the business of selling tvs. Can't imagine they would show a tv at the ces show in Jan. Rush to put it on their website. Then drag their feet to bring in 3/4 of the year later. 3 month before they announce 2020 tv's. Who would buy them with no black Friday deals and no 2.1 hdmi.
Why not wait until September when the new A9H will be released? Or the spring of 2020 when the new A9I will be released, or September ........... well you get it.
Latinoheat and jrref like this.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowspinzone View Post
Why not wait until September when the new A9H will be released? Or the spring of 2020 when the new A9I will be released, or September ........... well you get it.
This is my take on this as well. I just purchased my A9F in December and was a little disappointed to see the A9G get announced so quickly. I can still technically return my set, but with no HDMI 2.1, an unsure release date, unsure about the new panel, etc etc I am going to hang onto the A9F. My wife and I are very happy with the PQ and in the end that’s what matters most. The A9H will probably have 2.1 and make the G obsolete as well so its just a game I don’t want to get caught up in. Coming from a Samsung F8500 plasma that I purchased in 2013, I’m going to enjoy this beautiful set and look again to upgrade in 5 years or so.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked: 784
I bought my A9F a few days before CES knowing full well Sony would be releaseing new TVs. But in my case It was more of a second tv I was shopping for as I only got the 55inch. Im very happy with tv and I have 45 days to return but unless it’s there is something wrong with it I won’t return.

Sony 55 A9F
Panasonic DP-UB820
Sony UBP-X700
Samsung HW-K950 Dolby Atmos sound bar
Old 01-19-2019, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Is the motion handling worth $1k or more on the A9F over the C8?
Old 01-19-2019, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 7
New to the forum and bought a Sony AF9 on January 1st in the sales. I watched with interest all the CES news on the AG9 but figure its months away and won't be significantly different using the same chipset and processor. I am interested to see if the AF9 gets Apple Airplay via a firmware update down the road but as I use an Apple TV 4k for everything I'm not too bothered if it doesn't. I'd much rather Sony concentrate on getting HDR working in the Youtube App.

I’ve been loving my AF9 but have been having the odd issue with my Apple TV and match content on with Dolby Vision content. IF I say... tried to play DV content 5 times in a row it would glitch on the 3rd or 4th time as it tried to handshake with the TV. Occasionally there were white sparkles on one side of the TV too. A reboot fixed things and it did work most of the time.. just unpredictably fail now and then.

I was beginning to think it was the cable (£27 pearl 18GB) or a fault with the Apple TV.. But changed it from HDMI 2 to HDMI 4 this morning just to see if it was any better and now it’s flawless. Not sure why that would fix things but not complaining. Has anyone else found similar issues with HDMI 2?
Old 01-20-2019, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is a long shot. But is anyone using a NAD T777 v3 or T758 with the A9F?... I'm having a small but very annoying issue with hdmi switching.

When I turn the TV on, it will default to the last watched input eg digital TV. It also switches on the avr automatically through hdmi cec.

The annoying thing is that once the avr switches on it automatically switches the input to "HDMI 3 earc" which is a blank input unless you have another device on eg ps4 or uhd player.
I've played around with the settings on both TV and avr to no avail... Unless I disable hdmi switching altogether, which I don't want.
Any help appreciated.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quick question if you have an HDR source playing are you supposed to be able to change picture modes? I thought they would be locked out? I have my ATV4K connected to my Samsung Atmos bar and then soundbar connected to HDMI 3 (ARC) the bar has no DV pass through so I have to settle for HDR if want to get Atmos from ATV for Netflix. My 930C would not let me change picture mode when playing any HDR content!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1548008131334.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	2.86 MB
ID:	2513548  

Sony 55 A9F
Panasonic DP-UB820
Sony UBP-X700
Old 01-20-2019, 10:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 193 Post(s)
Quoted: 4469 Post(s)
Liked: 5476
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbino421 View Post
Quick question if you have an HDR source playing are you supposed to be able to change picture modes? I thought they would be locked out? I have my ATV4K connected to my Samsung Atmos bar and then soundbar connected to HDMI 3 (ARC) the bar has no DV pass through so I have to settle for HDR if want to get Atmos from ATV for Netflix. My 930C would not let me change picture mode when playing any HDR content!
Yes the A9F will let you change PMs.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified
Old 01-20-2019, 11:08 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Does anyone know when Sony is going to realease an update for the IMAX Enhanced?
Old 01-20-2019, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Yes the A9F will let you change PMs.
Ok thanks I thought something was wrong or I was getting a false HDR signal?

Sony 55 A9F
Panasonic DP-UB820
Sony UBP-X700
Old 01-20-2019, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchamblissII View Post
Does anyone know when Sony is going to realease an update for the IMAX Enhanced?
When you look at the product page it seems to suggest it’s a feature already see the top features section...no mention of a software update or whether it’s a new picture mode beyond what’s already there...

https://www.sony.com/electronics/tel...xbr-a9f-series
Old 01-20-2019, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 296
Quote:
When you look at the product page it seems to suggest it’s a feature already see the top features section...no mention of a software update or whether it’s a new picture mode beyond what’s already there...

Quote from imagic here...post 24...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...-tv-hands.html

“I've spoken to this a number of times and wish to be as transparent as possible. With audio, you absolutely need a compatible AVR to properly decode IMAX Enhanced sound. On the video side, a large TV that is calibrated, and in a movie mode with "enhancements" turned down or off, will in fact show IMAX Enhanced content "properly." That's because it uses HDR10 and not some proprietary format.”
Old 01-20-2019, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Quote:

Quote from imagic here...post 24...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...-tv-hands.html

“I've spoken to this a number of times and wish to be as transparent as possible. With audio, you absolutely need a compatible AVR to properly decode IMAX Enhanced sound. On the video side, a large TV that is calibrated, and in a movie mode with "enhancements" turned down or off, will in fact show IMAX Enhanced content "properly." That's because it uses HDR10 and not some proprietary format.”
How would you know if you’re watch IMAX content? Would it show an indicator like the Dolby Vision logo if you’re watching an IMAX Enhanced content?
Old 01-21-2019, 02:42 AM

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
The answer to your question is a matter of personal taste but in my case I notice a significant difference with eARC. Not thinking about it, all of a sudden I started getting a much better sound field then realized my AVR got the eARC update and was using the lossless format.

Thanks Jrref,

TV: LG C7 65" OLED
Home Theater System: Denon AVR X2400H 7.2 Ch, (R/L) Def Tech BP9060ST Floor Towers, Height Speaker - Def Tech A90, Center Speaker - Def Tech CS9060
Streaming Device: Apple TV 4K
Old 01-21-2019, 05:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Watched like 10 hrs of tv yesterday. Streaming tv shows and two UHD blu-rays. Everything looked fantastic! But one odd thing I saw on an extremely odd off axis angle as I walking away and towards TV there are two slightly faint lines going vertical up and down the panel that I don’t see in picture head on or on a slight angle. Even with tv off I see them almost as if the panel is not flat? Like two seams? Is this how the panel is supposed to be or engineered? Panel seems flat when I dust it with a microfiber cloth.

Sony 55 A9F
Panasonic DP-UB820
Sony UBP-X700

Last edited by bobbino421; 01-21-2019 at 11:23 AM.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 654 Post(s)
Liked: 450
I could not find anything in the guide about this. Does anybody know if this TV has IP control?

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED
Samsung SMT-H3272 HDC DVR Cable Box / Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BD Player
Roku Premium+ 4k / AppleTV 4K 4th Gen
Denon AVR-X4500H AV Receiver / Klipsch 5.1.2 Speakers
Old 01-21-2019, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Watched like 10 hrs of tv yesterday. Streaming tv shows and two UHD blu-rays. Everything looked fantastic! But one odd thing I saw on an extremely odd off axis angle as I walking away and towards TV there are two slightly faint lines going vertical up and down the panel that I don’t see in picture head on or on a slight angle. Even with tv off I see them almost as if the panel is not flat? Like two seams? Is this how the panel is supposed to be or engineered? Panel seems flat when I dust it with a microfiber cloth.
Never mind I’m chalking it up as a wierd off angle reflection or glare?

Sony 55 A9F
Panasonic DP-UB820
Sony UBP-X700
Old 01-21-2019, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1424 Post(s)
Liked: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl L View Post
I could not find anything in the guide about this. Does anybody know if this TV has IP control?
This works on my A1E: https://pro-bravia.sony.net/develop/...rest-api/spec/

I can do this for example:

curl -d '{"method": "getPowerStatus", "params": [], "id": 50, "version": "1.0"}' http://192.168.1.3/sony/system

and get back:

{"result":[{"status":"standby"}],"id":50}

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
Old 01-21-2019, 12:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
This works on my A1E: https://pro-bravia.sony.net/develop/...rest-api/spec/

I can do this for example:

curl -d '{"method": "getPowerStatus", "params": [], "id": 50, "version": "1.0"}' http://192.168.1.3/sony/system

and get back:

{"result":[{"status":"standby"}],"id":50}
Whoa! Thanks for the info but that's way beyond my ability's lol. I was just going to try to set up harmony Logitech Elite remote To control it with IP control rather than IR from the hub. I appreciate the input though.

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED
Old 01-21-2019, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1424 Post(s)
Liked: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl L View Post
Whoa! Thanks for the info but that's way beyond my ability's lol. I was just going to try to set up harmony Logitech Elite remote To control it with IP control rather than IR from the hub. I appreciate the input though.
Well https://www.reddit.com/r/bravia/comm...ony_smart_tvs/ claims the harmony can do IP control of the Sony TVs, although some of the comments make it sound as if some things aren't perfect.

So it seems doing some 'scan and add' thing in the harmony software should allow using IP control with Sony TVs.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
Old 01-21-2019, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 187
Anyone else not able to control their STB via the TV remote control?

Sony 55A9F
LG 55B6
Old 01-21-2019, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked: 3685
Quote:
Well https://www.reddit.com/r/bravia/comm...ony_smart_tvs/ claims the harmony can do IP control of the Sony TVs, although some of the comments make it sound as if some things aren't perfect.

So it seems doing some 'scan and add' thing in the harmony software should allow using IP control with Sony TVs.
Yes the Harmony remote can control the A9F over IP. I use it daily.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:03 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Vichev View Post
24fps content on OLED is unwatchable without frame interpolation.

I just upgraded to 55AF9 from 55C6. The difference is tremendous. C6 motion interpolation is absolute garbage, it stutter and judder even when set to max. AF9 interpolation is fenomenal i can't see any judder, stutter or artefacts. My go to clip for interpolation test is plane scene from Interstelar, LG C6 fails misarably on any setting. AF9 dosnt brake the motion of the plane and there are no artefacts.
I wish the motion handling of the A9F was just a notch better to be on par with the A1E which was excellent in this regard. I set MotionFlow to Custom and choose a value of "2", Cinemotion I set to "off" to avoid the Soap Opera Effect which produces to many artifacts in my opinion. But even with those settings: my go to clip is the motor chase scene in the roof tops in James Bond Skyfall on Bluray. At some point, both James Bond and his opponent turn into a glitching mess... I've never seen this behavior on the lower motion interpolation settings on other TVs so I was a bit surprised.

I wish the A9F would have retained all those juicy, extensive motion interpolation options of its predecessors. With those, one could really finetune MotionFlow to its maximum potential without introducing motion artifacts or SoE. Now it's just hit or miss whenever there's very fast panning and lots of things moving on the screen. This is really a bummer since the A9F excels in every other aspect... I can't really understand why Sony chose to touch a running system
Old 01-22-2019, 07:26 AM

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked: 3685
Quote:
Originally Posted by adsl-ryoga View Post
I wish the motion handling of the A9F was just a notch better to be on par with the A1E which was excellent in this regard. I set MotionFlow to Custom and choose a value of "2", Cinemotion I set to "off" to avoid the Soap Opera Effect which produces to many artifacts in my opinion. But even with those settings: my go to clip is the motor chase scene in the roof tops in James Bond Skyfall on Bluray. At some point, both James Bond and his opponent turn into a glitching mess... I've never seen this behavior on the lower motion interpolation settings on other TVs so I was a bit surprised.

I wish the A9F would have retained all those juicy, extensive motion interpolation options of its predecessors. With those, one could really finetune MotionFlow to its maximum potential without introducing motion artifacts or SoE. Now it's just hit or miss whenever there's very fast panning and lots of things moving on the screen. This is really a bummer since the A9F excels in every other aspect... I can't really understand why Sony chose to touch a running system
You may want to try Custom = Min and Cinemotion = Off
mchamblissII likes this.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I was certain it would, I just did not know how to get it to find the TV. I did a scan and add for new devices In the iPad app but it did not find anything. So I was just wondering if there was something I needed to enable on the TV. Or maybe I need to remove the TV and edit again and scan. I will read the Page you posted and give it another shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice View Post
Yes the Harmony remote can control the A9F over IP. I use it daily.
Yes I was certain it was I just have to figure out how to the tv.

Thanks gentlemen for all the info and input. It's really appreciated.

Sony XBR-55A9F OLED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
master series , oled , sony a9f