2018 Sony A9F Master Series OLED Owner's Thread - Page 96 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2468Likes

post #2851 of 3290 Old 06-23-2019, 09:34 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzonek View Post
For your third issue,could you please elaborate when(for example,SDR or HDR?) you feel that the TV is too dim?
As far as I know,the most accurate preset "Custom" set the peak Luminance to medium in SDR,which limit the screen to around 200~250nit.
Also I remember that Gamma is set to -2 ootb,you may want to set back to 0.

I am not sure what setting you are using in your previous LG OLED,but it may be the reason.

I am a new A9F owner which came from the SONY X9300E, comparing to the X9300E,I find that Custom preset for SDR is dimmer but acceptable.
For HDR,beside of the ABSL(auto dimming when static HUD elements detected) and high APL scene, I don't see any issue yet.
For me, just kind of all the time. I will say, though, that when the Apple TV 4K is plugged in, and I set it to 4K SDR as well as “Match Range” for matching the range, the brightness looks solid. So perhaps it is just getting used to it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2852 of 3290 Old 06-23-2019, 09:36 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven A Blomsterberg View Post
Hey all!

I recently got the deal of a lifetime on the Sony A9F Master Series 65 inch OLED TV from Best Buy. Long story short, they had it as an open box deal for $1899. I thought this was way too good to be true, so I went to look at it and spoke to the Magnolia manager. The TV was only on display for 3 months, still had the plastic on it, was in absolute mint condition, we ran the tests for banding/burn in/etc in the store, zero issues, all perfect. Included all accessories including the remote, etc. Brought it home, hooked it up, literally perfect.

So, that’s the good news !

Now for some background:

I have been a diehard LG OLED owner for years. I started off with the LG C6 3D OLED, then upgraded to the B7 OLED in the living room and have the C7 upstairs in the bedroom. All have worked brilliantly, no issues, etc. In the bedroom I use an NVidia shield and in the living room we used a Roku Ultra with it. When this deal came along I couldn’t pass it up and put the A9F in the living room. The plan was to use the Android TV interface for the primary streaming, etc., however I also had an unused Apple TV 4K to use for certain apps that are better on Apple’s box (e.g. the Hulu app, etc.).

My Current Setup:

I have a PS4 Pro in HDMI # 1, a Nintendo Switch in HDMI # 2, a Vizio 5.1 Surround Sound Soundbar in HDMI # 3 (ARC), and I had a 4K box in HDMI # 4 so I could use the Apple TV 4K and any other things I wanted to plug in (e.g. a PS3, other consoles, etc.). I decided I wasn’t really going to use the 4K box for now, so instead I just unplugged that and have the HDMI # 4 cable going directly to the Apple TV 4K (so lossless signal at that point). I did activate the Sony version of “Deep Color” through the Settings menu on the HDMI inputs I am using 4K HDR devices on (in this case, HDMI # 1 and HDMI # 4).

First Issue:

With my LG OLED I never had sound issues - ever. With this TV so far we have had at least six instances where the sound has come out of sync with what is playing on the TV. This is regardless if it is the PS4, the Android TV interface streaming an App, or the Apple TV 4K. To resolve the issue, all we need to do is go to Settings —> About —> Restart and also reboot the device we are using. That fixes the issue. It’s very intermittent, and it’s maddening. I reached out to Sony and they were of little assistance. They sent me an article to visit on their website which explained 4 workarounds. My device is recognized under the Bravia Sync, I did switch it from Surround Sound to TV Speakers, rebooted it, etc., and that did fix it, but again over time it seems to just come back. So, that is my first issue - sound will go out of sync. Does anyone have any insights how to resolve this?

Second Issue:

Using my Apple TV 4K with an Amazon Basics High Speed HDMI cable on my LG C7 OLED TV in the bedroom, I have ZERO issues. I can run everything, no issues, in 4K SDR, 4K HDR, 4K Dolby Vision, etc. The tag pops up in the upper right corner of the display when it switches to a different Dynamic Range like it always has, etc. Zero problems. When I tried plugging in the Apple TV 4K into either HDMI # 1 or HDMI # 4 I experienced the same issue. When the Apple TV asked if I wanted to move to Dolby Vision I said yes, the screen would go dark, Dolby Vision tag shows up in the upper right corner, and almost immediately there is flashing, popping, snow on the screen, etc. I tried two separate HDMI cables, experienced the same issue. I got so frustrated with it I took it back upstairs to the bedroom last night with the cable. Worked perfectly. Hmm, ok. So, I did some research and it seems like for this TV it is highly recommended to use the Belkin High Speed HDMI Cable from Apple/Amazon (the one that does like 48Gbps). So, I bought it today but haven’t hooked it up yet. It was a super expensive cable ($29) and way more than I normally would spend on a 10 or 18Gbps cable from Monoprice or Amazon. Has anyone else experienced this issue with the Apple TV at all? If so, did you have to switch this Belkin High Speed HDMI cable, and did that resolve it?

Third Issue:

Is it me, or does this TV seem... dim? Maybe it’s me, I don’t know, but I feel like the LG is much brighter. Don’t get me wrong - there are some scenes (like the IMAX 4K app, watching a movie I got from there, or a Netflix planet/nature special where it seems bright). It just seems like day-to-day use it is quite a bit dimmer than the LG OLED. Is this normal for this TV?

Fourth Issue:

I enabled “Ok, Google” on the TV and the little orange light shows up that it is always listening. That’s good. Sometimes, though, the TV freaks out if I press the button on the remote or something and the orange light goes away, only having the white “Power” light activated on the front panel. I have to completely reboot the TV to make the orange light come back so it is listening again for “Ok, Google”. This doesn’t seem normal. Has anyone else experienced this issue and if so is there a workaround to fix it?

Last Issue:

The remote that comes with this TV is, for lack of a better term, absolutely awful. It has a bajillion buttons and I wanted to use something a bit more simple (akin to a Roku Remote, Apple TV 4K Remote, Fire TV 4K remote, etc.). I bought a few aftermarket ones on Amazon, both use USB dongles. As soon as I plug in the USB dongle it completely disables the onscreen keyboard (GBoard). There are a few Sony help articles that talk to this how to fix it, none of them work. While working with Tech Support they wanted me to download and enable the “Leanback” Keyboard. I tried to explain to them that GBoard replaced the Leanback keyboard. Instead, I had to download another 3rd party keyboard from the App Store (LeanKey I think it was called) and that did resolve the issue and the keyboard came back so that is a temporary fix for now. Since the Voice button on the 3rd party remotes don’t work whatsoever, are there any remotes you have come across that are 3rd party which work with this TV, both the Leanback / GBoard issue resolved and the mic button also works? It just seems odd that it doesn’t work. I even tried a Bluetooth version of the remote that I got and it did sync to the TV only twice, but as soon as you power off the TV and back on (hard boot, not the soft power button/sleep) it forgets the connection, you have to try and re-pair it, and then it won’t pair again. It is hard enough to try and pair the first time - it’s extremely finicky.

In closing, I’m a bit of a TV junkie and love OLED TVs. I’ve had this TV for two weeks now and I am starting to feel like it’s more trouble than it’s worth and I made a mistake not getting the LG 65 OLED C8/E8 or the Vizio P Quantum X 65. If anyone has any tips/tricks/suggestions/etc., I’m all ears. I’m pretty keen on Android TV since I’ve owned a Shield since 2015 and love the interface. I am just worried that since this is my first Sony OLED I may have made a mistake.

Thank you in advance to everyone for your help. I do appreciate it very much!
Quick Update - The Belkin High Speed HDMI Cable completely fixed the issue with the stuttering/popping/etc. I guess it was worth the cost as it totally resolved all dynamic range issues completely. #smallvictories
post #2853 of 3290 Old 06-23-2019, 10:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I am a new A9F owner came from the SONY X9300E.
Few days before I just got my set calibrated by a calibrator.
After calibrated,I am happy with the PQ result, but there is some question(out of curiosity) in my mind.
(I know that A9F will be tricky for calibration.
But I am not living in us/uk and the choice of the THX/ISF calibrator in my place is limited.)
Not Sure if I should post in this thread or the calibration thread:

In my previous TV X9300E ,calibrator used two preset with two color temperature for SDR and HDR respectively ,
so that sdr and hdr can have different multi point grayscale adjustment.
i.e.,preset "home cinema" with color temp expert 1 for SDR,and preset "cinema pro" with color temp expert 2 for HDR.

But in the A9F, he told me that color temperature expert 1 & expert 2 are sharing the same 2pt/20pt grayscale setting.
So he claim that the best he could do in HDR is to use another preset("Custom" for SDR,"Custom pro 1" for HDR),
use the same color tempature expert 2 with grayscale setting untouched and calibrate the CMS to correct the color error.

Why would SONY do this? It seems like a step forward(introduce the CMS) and then a "half" step backward.
OR is there any "trick" ,so that SDR & HDR can be used the same preset in the Master Series , and therefore SONY decided to make this changes?

While he was helping me to apply setting to all hdmi source,I told him that I used to play a lot of action game in PS4 pro,

so I prefer to apply those setting in preset that introduce less input lag in PS4 pro HDMI
So he try to apply the SDR setting to Game preset,and HDR setting to Photo preset.
After that,he found that the color in PHOTO preset seems very odd,
therefore he use the meter for verification and found that preset "Photo" is not suitable for HDR due to the limited color space.
Therefore he calibrate HDR gaming in another preset(Graphic), and achieve result similar to the calibrated "Custom Pro 1".

I am just wondering if it is introduced in master series,or it is inherit from previous SONY TV.
As far as I know, different preset in the 2017 SONY E series are using slightly different HDR tone mapping curve, while in the master series all preset are using the same HDR tone mapping curve.
I thought that in master series,the only different between Game/Photo/Graphic and Custom/Cinema/.... is the input lag and handling of YUV 4:4:4 signal,but it proves me wrong.

Regarding to question 2, any drawback if I use graphic mode for hdr gaming?

Thanks for watching my long story & question,and any help/discussion will be highly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2854 of 3290 Old 06-24-2019, 06:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2431 Post(s)
Liked: 1420
Quote:
After calibrated,I am happy with the PQ result, but there is some question(out of curiosity) in my mind.
But I am not living in us/uk and the choice of the THX/ISF calibrator in my place is limited.)

In my previous TV X9300E ,calibrator used two preset with two color temperature for SDR and HDR respectively ,
i.e.,preset "home cinema" with color temp expert 1 for SDR,and preset "cinema pro" with color temp expert 2 for HDR.

But in the A9F, he told me that color temperature expert 1 & expert 2 are sharing the same 2pt/20pt grayscale setting.
So he claim that the best he could do in HDR is to use another preset("Custom" for SDR,"Custom pro 1" for HDR),
use the same color tempature expert 2 with grayscale setting untouched and calibrate the CMS to correct the color error.

Why would SONY do this? It seems like a step forward(introduce the CMS) and then a "half" step backward.
OR is there any "trick" ,so that SDR & HDR can be used the same preset in the Master Series , and therefore SONY decided to make this changes?

While he was helping me to apply setting to all hdmi source,I told him that I used to play a lot of action game in PS4 pro,

so I prefer to apply those setting in preset that introduce less input lag in PS4 pro HDMI
So he try to apply the SDR setting to Game preset,and HDR setting to Photo preset.
therefore he use the meter for verification and found that preset "Photo" is not suitable for HDR due to the limited color space.
Therefore he calibrate HDR gaming in another preset(Graphic), and achieve result similar to the calibrated "Custom Pro 1".

I am just wondering if it is introduced in master series,or it is inherit from previous SONY TV.
As far as I know, different preset in the 2017 SONY E series are using slightly different HDR tone mapping curve, while in the master series all preset are using the same HDR tone mapping curve.
I thought that in master series,the only different between Game/Photo/Graphic and Custom/Cinema/.... is the input lag and handling of YUV 4:4:4 signal,but it proves me wrong.

Thanks for watching my long story & question,and any help/discussion will be highly appreciated.
There is a Sony calibration thread maybe you post your question over there..
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...thread-26.html
post #2855 of 3290 Old 06-24-2019, 06:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 4621 Post(s)
Liked: 5617
Quote:

This should be over in the calibration thread but i'll give you the short answers.

There is no reason to calibrate the newer Sony's HDR in a separate color space since the HDR EOTF offsets are calculated from the SDR calibration. Calibrating HDR using a separate color space like Expert2 will give you a slight bit more accuracy but your eye won't be able to see it and you are creating a situation where you will manually need to switch picture modes when going from SDR to HDR and back.
All you really need to do is calibrate Expert 1 and Expert 2 for whatever SDR brightness ranges you like, dark room and bright room for example then apply them to your picture modes, custom pro1 and or 2, or game, HDR and DV will be calculated and automatically switch depending on the content. This is the way the set was designed by Sony for whatever reason. What you are doing is a lot of work for basically no "real" gain.
shoman94 and xzonek like this.

John
Sony 55A1E, A9F / LG 55OLEDC8
Marantz 7012, Ohm Walsh Speakers
Klein K10-A, Jeti 1501, Murideo Six-G Gen2
Calman Ultimate, ISF Level III Certified

Last edited by jrref; 06-24-2019 at 06:34 AM.
post #2856 of 3290 Old 06-24-2019, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrref View Post
This should be over in the calibration thread but i'll give you the short answers.

There is no reason to calibrate the newer Sony's HDR in a separate color space since the HDR EOTF offsets are calculated from the SDR calibration. Calibrating HDR using a separate color space like Expert2 will give you a slight bit more accuracy but your eye won't be able to see it and you are creating a situation where you will manually need to switch picture modes when going from SDR to HDR and back.
All you really need to do is calibrate Expert 1 and Expert 2 for whatever SDR brightness ranges you like, dark room and bright room for example then apply them to your picture modes, custom pro1 and or 2, or game, HDR and DV will be calculated and automatically switch depending on the content. This is the way the set was designed by Sony for whatever reason. What you are doing is a lot of work for basically no "real" gain.
Thanks you for your reply.
It does explain why.

I was posting here because I think it may be quite odd for normal user to ask something about calibration.
As suggested by you and other member, I think I will summarize the question and the more question regarding to your reply in the calibration thread.
Thanks again for your reply!!
post #2857 of 3290 Old 06-24-2019, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
Sony may have stock and may swap the whole TV, Sony usually does swaps in most cases, do they have stock left where you are is the question......
Thanks to the guy above, i got a hint from this post and tried to press sony to give me a new a9f. MY original a9f had developed a stuck pixel emitting white light on the first day, i was already under the process of having sony replace the panel, but after reading that sony does swaps, i tried to press them to change my whole tv instead of the panel, the technician who i was in contact with took it to the higher management of sony that the customer is saying he doesnt want a replaced panel, he wants a new tv. They have now agreed to it and my tv is on the way, 2-3 days more as it is moving in by road from a sony warehouse in another state. They'll take away my existing a9f on the day of delivery.
The only thing that now scares me is that the new tv doesnt have any issue, the one i have right now has a stuck pixel but banding and tinting wise it's pretty good.
If i receive a new tv with the side edges (not the whole side) of the box pressed inwards, is that cause for concern? I usually see sony tv boxes when transporting from far away locations end that way but sony says it's normal because the tv is a few inches inside of the box, so bent corners wont be an issue. Are they right?
post #2858 of 3290 Old 06-24-2019, 11:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:

Related to this, would you recommend porting the CMS calibration from Custom Pro 1/2 to other picture modes (Cinema, Dolby Vision, Netflix, etc.) or should those settings be left zeroed out?
post #2859 of 3290 Old 06-24-2019, 11:26 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1185 Post(s)
Liked: 1103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menarini View Post
Thanks to the guy above, i got a hint from this post and tried to press sony to give me a new a9f. MY original a9f had developed a stuck pixel emitting white light on the first day, i was already under the process of having sony replace the panel, but after reading that sony does swaps, i tried to press them to change my whole tv instead of the panel, the technician who i was in contact with took it to the higher management of sony that the customer is saying he doesnt want a replaced panel, he wants a new tv. They have now agreed to it and my tv is on the way, 2-3 days more as it is moving in by road from a sony warehouse in another state. They'll take away my existing a9f on the day of delivery.

The only thing that now scares me is that the new tv doesnt have any issue, the one i have right now has a stuck pixel but banding and tinting wise it's pretty good.

If i receive a new tv with the side edges (not the whole side) of the box pressed inwards, is that cause for concern? I usually see sony tv boxes when transporting from far away locations end that way but sony says it's normal because the tv is a few inches inside of the box, so bent corners wont be an issue. Are they right?

Keep in mind that the replacement a9f will be a refurb.
post #2860 of 3290 Old 06-24-2019, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd13 View Post
Keep in mind that the replacement a9f will be a refurb.
no i have confirmation it's a brand new tv. new stock of the a9f at sony's local warehouse was depleted, so they are shipping the tv from another state. the technician also emailed me snaps of the tv that is now in transporation, it's a sealed unit, like my original a9f i got from store.
sd13 likes this.
post #2861 of 3290 Old 06-24-2019, 11:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdkind View Post
Related to this, would you recommend porting the CMS calibration from Custom Pro 1/2 to other picture modes (Cinema, Dolby Vision, Netflix, etc.) or should those settings be left zeroed out?
No, You all you need to do is calibrate Expert1 and Expert2 and use them in any expert PM

John
post #2862 of 3290 Old 06-24-2019, 11:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1185 Post(s)
Liked: 1103
Quote:
no i have confirmation it's a brand new tv. new stock of the a9f at sony's local warehouse was depleted, so they are shipping the tv from another state. the technician also emailed me snaps of the tv that is now in transporation, it's a sealed unit, like my original a9f i got from store.

That’s awesome if that’s the case. The choices they gave me to replace my z9d that crapped out were either a refurb a9f or Z9f or brand new a9g. Make sure you check the box when it arrives for any “recertified” stickers on it. Have it in writing through email that they promised you a brand new non refurbished unit.
post #2863 of 3290 Old 06-24-2019, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No, You all you need to do is calibrate Expert1 and Expert2 and use them in any expert PM

Maybe I'm confused, but I coould've sworn the per-color adjustments didn't carry over with the grayscale calibration. For example, if you set Dolby Vision Dark to use Expert 1, it only applies the grayscale settings. The per-color settings remain at their defaults and must be manually updated if you want them to match Custom for Pro 1 or 2.
shoman94 likes this.
post #2864 of 3290 Old 06-24-2019, 12:34 PM

A question for a9f owners, what do the sony gamma settings of -2, -1,0 , 1 and 2 correspend to in terms of PLG? Does -2 equate to gamma 2.4 (visually looks like it?), what about the other numbers? OOTB is sony targetting gamma 2.2? So if im currently not having the tv calibrated, for sdr content what gamma setting should i select for a dark room? For dark rooms, generally 2.4 gets recommended but i also hear that these sony oleds can look a bit on the dim side with 2.4?
post #2865 of 3290 Old 06-24-2019, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Maybe I'm confused, but I coould've sworn the per-color adjustments didn't carry over with the grayscale calibration. For example, if you set Dolby Vision Dark to use Expert 1, it only applies the grayscale settings. The per-color settings remain at their defaults and must be manually updated if you want them to match Custom for Pro 1 or 2.
Interesting I asked PD about this and that's the way it's supposed to work. Maybe @WiFi Spy can give more information on this.

John
post #2866 of 3290 Old 06-24-2019, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 205 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5152 Post(s)
Liked: 3623
Quote:
Interesting I asked PD about this and that's the way it's supposed to work. Maybe @WiFi Spy can give more information on this.
Right, you have to manually set those for DV, "Apps", "Apps (Video), Netflix, etc

That's one of the things I talked to Pablo about to improve Sony AutoCal.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sony LCD Master Series Calibration Thread
My P75-C1 Calibration Settings (5.0.14.1).
Sony XBR-75Z9F, Vizio P75-C1, Pioneer Kuro 5020, Pioneer VSX-1131, XBox One(X), Wii, NVIDIA SHIELD.v1, FireTV 4K-HDR, HDHR Connects, QNAP 431+
post #2867 of 3290 Old 06-24-2019, 04:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Quote:
Maybe this offers some insight to the CMS behavior. This is excerpted from the AVForums Review of the A9F.

https://www.avforums.com/review/sony...v-review.15500

“We should just mention a few little bugs we did find with the new CMS system. When you calibrate the white balance and CMS in the Custom mode, this should mean that whenever you change inputs, using the Custom preset copies these settings over to that input. This is something that always happens with Sony TVs and when switching to HDR it does the same thing in copying the white balance, and CMS inputs, if you use the same picture mode, like Custom. It would be better to have separate settings for SDR and HDR, but as the white point is the same for both HDR and SDR, we can see why Sony did this is the past, but with the CMS now part of that system, it is copying the CMS inputs over to HDR which is not desired at all. This means that, for HDR use, you need to set up the Cinema picture preset. This carries over the white balance settings when using the Expert 1 custom white balance selection, but doesn’t have any CMS inputs, which is what you want.

We also noticed a bug where most of the time moving inputs with SDR content worked fine and as expected, but every now and again changing inputs but keeping Custom picture mode would not copy over the settings in the CMS. A flick back and forth was enough to correct this bug, but just be aware that it sometimes does happen.

The other bug is similar but happens when using the CMS to make changes and in some cases, it copies settings from one colour input and applies them to all colours. Exiting and entering the CMS again was enough to correct this issue, but again we mention it to be complete and hopefully, Sony will iron out these little annoying bugs with the new CMS.”
post #2868 of 3290 Old 06-24-2019, 06:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinglm View Post
Quote:
Maybe this offers some insight to the CMS behavior. This is excerpted from the AVForums Review of the A9F.

https://www.avforums.com/review/sony...v-review.15500

“We should just mention a few little bugs we did find with the new CMS system. When you calibrate the white balance and CMS in the Custom mode, this should mean that whenever you change inputs, using the Custom preset copies these settings over to that input. This is something that always happens with Sony TVs and when switching to HDR it does the same thing in copying the white balance, and CMS inputs, if you use the same picture mode, like Custom. It would be better to have separate settings for SDR and HDR, but as the white point is the same for both HDR and SDR, we can see why Sony did this is the past, but with the CMS now part of that system, it is copying the CMS inputs over to HDR which is not desired at all. This means that, for HDR use, you need to set up the Cinema picture preset. This carries over the white balance settings when using the Expert 1 custom white balance selection, but doesn’️t have any CMS inputs, which is what you want.

We also noticed a bug where most of the time moving inputs with SDR content worked fine and as expected, but every now and again changing inputs but keeping Custom picture mode would not copy over the settings in the CMS. A flick back and forth was enough to correct this bug, but just be aware that it sometimes does happen.

The other bug is similar but happens when using the CMS to make changes and in some cases, it copies settings from one colour input and applies them to all colours. Exiting and entering the CMS again was enough to correct this issue, but again we mention it to be complete and hopefully, Sony will iron out these little annoying bugs with the new CMS.”
I’m going to double check this but I don’t think this analysis is correct.
kinglm likes this.

John
post #2869 of 3290 Old 06-24-2019, 06:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I’m going to double check this but I don’t think this analysis is correct.
Yeah, I'm confused why we'd want different per-color settings for HDR. Also, the Cinema setting has a totally different look from Custom for Pro, so I don't see how it could serve as a substitute for a true custom HDR setting, even with calibrated Expert 1 or 2 applied.

Sony's menus could use a redesign, because which settings carry over based on input and picture type isn't intuitive at all. It took a lot of reading and playing around with the settings to finally get it straight.
kinglm likes this.
post #2870 of 3290 Old 06-24-2019, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Really excited to get one of these at the greatly discounted prices.

It seems like my screen might be slightly bent—there's a noticeable air gap and hinge transition on one side that's different from the other. Sent these photos to Sony support and they said this is within normal range expected for the product.

I just want to make sure this won’t fall apart when I do go to wall hang it. Do other owners see similar?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2016.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	2584078   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2017.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	2584080  
post #2871 of 3290 Old 06-25-2019, 07:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah, I'm confused why we'd want different per-color settings for HDR. Also, the Cinema setting has a totally different look from Custom for Pro, so I don't see how it could serve as a substitute for a true custom HDR setting, even with calibrated Expert 1 or 2 applied.

Sony's menus could use a redesign, because which settings carry over based on input and picture type isn't intuitive at all. It took a lot of reading and playing around with the settings to finally get it straight.
I'm double checking but at the last two VE TV Shootouts I used CM Autocal with a manual tweak when I calibrated the Sony's and they came out perfect and won the event so that said, i'm very confident it's working properly. But as Shoman says, you have to manually go in and set the apps.
thirdkind and shoman94 like this.

John
post #2872 of 3290 Old 06-25-2019, 08:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6864 Post(s)
Liked: 6863
Quote:
A box gets recycled hopefully Does not matter what the box looks like, it matters if the TV is damaged, it is, or it is not, there is no between......
post #2873 of 3290 Old 06-25-2019, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gildorn View Post

It seems like my screen might be slightly bent—there's a noticeable air gap and hinge transition on one side that's different from the other. Sent these photos to Sony support and they said this is within normal range expected for the product.

I just want to make sure this won’t fall apart when I do go to wall hang it. Do other owners see similar?

My A9F has no gaps. Needs dusting, though :P
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0956.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	1.85 MB
ID:	2584320   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0955.JPG
Views:	60
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	2584322  
post #2874 of 3290 Old 06-25-2019, 09:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I'm double checking but at the last two VE TV Shootouts I used CM Autocal with a manual tweak when I calibrated the Sony's and they came out perfect and won the event so that said, i'm very confident it's working properly. But as Shoman says, you have to manually go in and set the apps.
Fair enough. A minor inconvenience.

I'm curious what the difference is between all these picture modes once you apply the calibrated settings, because Cinema and Game still look different even when I change all their settings to match my Custom for Pro 1 settings.
post #2875 of 3290 Old 06-25-2019, 11:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Fair enough. A minor inconvenience.

I'm curious what the difference is between all these picture modes once you apply the calibrated settings, because Cinema and Game still look different even when I change all their settings to match my Custom for Pro 1 settings.
The only "expert" PMs without any additional picture processing is Custom, Custom Pro1 &2.
shoman94 likes this.

John
post #2876 of 3290 Old 06-25-2019, 12:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The only "expert" PMs without any additional picture processing is Custom, Custom Pro1 &2.

Right, I'm just curious what that "processing" is. A bit of Sony fairy dust sprinkled to taste, I guess Cinema has that film look, which I suppose is the whole point.
post #2877 of 3290 Old 06-25-2019, 01:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Right, I'm just curious what that "processing" is. A bit of Sony fairy dust sprinkled to taste, I guess Cinema has that film look, which I suppose is the whole point.
I'm not 100% sure but you can't turn it all off with the user controls were the expert picture modes you can.

John
post #2878 of 3290 Old 06-25-2019, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4075 Post(s)
Liked: 3804
Quote:

Was this a new display in a factory sealed box? I ask as my first thought upon looking at those images is maybe the OLED panel itself has been replaced?
post #2879 of 3290 Old 06-25-2019, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenan View Post
Was this a new display in a factory sealed box? I ask as my first thought upon looking at those images is maybe the OLED panel itself has been replaced?
Yes, new sealed box. Supposedly a new unit. The other side does not have these gaps, but if I pull on the hinge a little it's not exactly the tightest coupling.
post #2880 of 3290 Old 06-25-2019, 01:48 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 4075 Post(s)
Liked: 3804
Quote:
Yes, new sealed box. Supposedly a new unit. The other side does not have these gaps, but if I pull on the hinge a little it's not exactly the tightest coupling.
I wish I had some answers for you. I suppose if you looked at 10 of these displays one or two of them might have that gap but as long as the display works correctly, and mounts correctly, it's probably nothing to worry about. I checked mine and it's basically seamless at that spot. My display is wall mounted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
master series , oled , sony a9f

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page