Confused about motion settings on OLED - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By tylerdietzenbach
  • 1 Post By Otto Pylot

post #1 of 5 Old 09-12-2018, 07:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Confused about motion settings on OLED

I'm about to take the plunge and upgrade to an OLED TV, currently using a 6 yr old Samsung 1080p. On my Samsung now, I turn off all video processing, can't stand the motion smoothing effects in particular.

I saw an LG OLED TV in the store that was demoing Avengers Civil War. The action scenes looked awful, heavy processing, looked extremely unnatural. I've also seen complaints on forums about motion judder when panning, e.g. in landscape shots.

What's gotten me confused is that some people recommend turning on the motion settings to remove the judder while some recommend turning it off. Ultimately is it necessary to turn on motion processing for OLED TVs? If it is, I will seriously consider purchasing a QLED or just LED 4K TV instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-12-2018, 10:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2328 Post(s)
Liked: 1657
The default settings gave pretty poor results for panning in 24 fps movies.

You can turn all processing off. At the moment, I have deblur set to zero and de-judder set to a small value (3?). That's on a 2017 B7A. The result isn't completely free of motion artifacts, but I find it pretty good.

The image processor is supposed to be superior for the 2018 models, C8 and up. (The B8 uses a lesser processor, perhaps equivalent to the processor used throughout the 2017 line.) I don't know how much better it is.

I have read claims that the Sony OLEDs have better motion handling. I can't verify that.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-13-2018, 02:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked: 1426
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
The default settings gave pretty poor results for panning in 24 fps movies.

You can turn all processing off. At the moment, I have deblur set to zero and de-judder set to a small value (3?). That's on a 2017 B7A. The result isn't completely free of motion artifacts, but I find it pretty good.

The image processor is supposed to be superior for the 2018 models, C8 and up. (The B8 uses a lesser processor, perhaps equivalent to the processor used throughout the 2017 line.) I don't know how much better it is.

I have read claims that the Sony OLEDs have better motion handling. I can't verify that.
Sony’s have always had great motion handling and their OLEDs are no exception. LG has improved it with newer models though. On my E6, I find that having true motion OFF with real cinema ON is the best balance for 24fps content. For everything else, I think I have my tru motion settings similar to yours.

It’s a personal, subjective thing. I’m not bothered by motion issues as much as others. I wouldn’t avoid OLED for motion handling concerns. Most users can find a happy place and then you get all of the other benefits!

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
LG UBK-90, Samsung UBD-8500K
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-13-2018, 10:49 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_ryder View Post
I'm about to take the plunge and upgrade to an OLED TV, currently using a 6 yr old Samsung 1080p. On my Samsung now, I turn off all video processing, can't stand the motion smoothing effects in particular.

I saw an LG OLED TV in the store that was demoing Avengers Civil War. The action scenes looked awful, heavy processing, looked extremely unnatural. I've also seen complaints on forums about motion judder when panning, e.g. in landscape shots.

What's gotten me confused is that some people recommend turning on the motion settings to remove the judder while some recommend turning it off. Ultimately is it necessary to turn on motion processing for OLED TVs? If it is, I will seriously consider purchasing a QLED or just LED 4K TV instead.
It really depends on the content. I NEVER use any motion processing while watching sports. Absolutely zero issues with that and you SHOULDNT use motion for that. The only content I would consider motion for is movies. In this case, LG has a "real cinema" setting that will make a large difference for movies filmed in 24p. They also have judder and blur sliders you can adjust to your liking. I havent needed to use any motion on video games yet either. Havent noticed any glaring issues at all.
waltinaz likes this.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-15-2018, 06:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3438 Post(s)
Liked: 2502
^^^^ I've never been a fan of motion interpolation on my older LG so I just disabled it. But yeah, Real Cinema is enabled for 24p content to maintain the 5:5 cadence with True Motion disabled.
Redmist likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page