2018 Panasonic FZ Series OLED Owner's Thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 76Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #121 of 270 Old 12-25-2018, 10:27 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo M View Post
Is anyone using Plex?
Im using Plex on the Nvidia Shield...And noticed something weird.
When playing 4k/hdr content on Plex no matter what picture mode is selected (Professional or Thx)...the "luminance level" and "contrast" are all set to 100. (I've attached some pics)
All the picture modes seem to do the same thing...
This is kind of a bummer if one has to manually go in and adjust it all the time...


It doesn't do this on 1080p content...but for some reason when the source is 4k/hdr the picture modes are all blown up [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/IMG]
I’m on Nvidia shield PLEX as well and I believe this is the auto HDR feature when the TV detects an HDR signal. The same thing happened on my Samsung KS8000, and I don’t see it as an issue. Correct me if I’m wrong though 🙂

Samsung 65" KS8000
Marantz SR 7010 5.1 System
KEF q900, q600, q400 q150
Nvidia Shield
doylet8456 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 270 Old 12-26-2018, 04:56 PM
Member
 
Redmist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
The 2018 FZ OLEDs are on special in Australia at the moment. Have they fixed the 24Hz stutter yet? That's a deal-breaker for me.
Redmist is offline  
post #123 of 270 Old 12-26-2018, 06:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Latinoheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 4,342
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1483 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
Just finished setting up my new Logitech Harmony ultimate home remote I got on sale today, it looks and works very well with my Panasonic Oled and all my equipment. Highly recommend it to anyone with a Home Theater setup. The Elite Harmony is nice also but this one does everything I need it to do. I have the older version in my living room "Harmony one" but this one has automation features as well. Which is what I'm doing next, is setting it up with Google assistant.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	2501124
Paulo M likes this.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
Latinoheat is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #124 of 270 Old 12-29-2018, 07:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Love the TV but file support from hard drive to USB 3.0 port is a bit of a let down as far as audio codecs go.
X265 AC-3 audio codec not supported. Hope a software update comes soon as all this is supported on LG.
aussiegreg is offline  
post #125 of 270 Old 12-29-2018, 07:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Latinoheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 4,342
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1483 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmist View Post
The 2018 FZ OLEDs are on special in Australia at the moment. Have they fixed the 24Hz stutter yet? That's a deal-breaker for me.
Haven't experienced any stutter on any movie or content I've watched.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
Latinoheat is offline  
post #126 of 270 Old 12-29-2018, 07:58 PM
Member
 
Redmist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
Haven't experienced any stutter on any movie or content I've watched.
Vincent from HDTV test has talked about it extensively. It's subtle but annoying for people that notice it. I'm very sensitive to irregular motion or minor stutters.
Redmist is offline  
post #127 of 270 Old 12-29-2018, 08:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Latinoheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 4,342
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1483 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmist View Post
Vincent from HDTV test has talked about it extensively. It's subtle but annoying for people that notice it. I'm very sensitive to irregular motion or minor stutters.
Motion is subjective , some people notice minor issues differently, some don't notice any issues at all. A lot is content/personal related also.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
Latinoheat is offline  
post #128 of 270 Old 12-29-2018, 08:08 PM
Member
 
Redmist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 82
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
Motion is subjective , some people notice minor issues differently, some don't notice any issues at all. A lot is content/personal related also.
Yes, apparently the LG and Sony don't have the issue but the Panasonic has the most beautiful color and overall picture that I've ever seen in a mainstream showroom. I think I'll take a USB stick with some 24p motion test files to the store and see if they'll let me view them.
Redmist is offline  
post #129 of 270 Old 12-29-2018, 08:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Latinoheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 4,342
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1483 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmist View Post

Yes, apparently the LG and Sony don't have the issue but the Panasonic has the most beautiful color and overall picture that I've ever seen in a mainstream showroom. I think I'll take a USB stick with some 24p motion test files to the store and see if they'll let me view them.
I know the Ez950 had an issue with stutter last year but Panasonic rolled a firmware to resolve the issue. Have not experienced any on the FZ950.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
Latinoheat is offline  
post #130 of 270 Old 12-29-2018, 09:09 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I flitted back and forth between the Sony A9f and FZ1000. I actually bought the A9f but returned for the FZ1000. The skin tones in particular just look a lot more 'natural' to my eyes.
While I appreciate that I don't have the real actors there in front of me to do a true comparison, I do semi-professional photography and videography and even seeing my photos up on the Fz1000 they just looked more aesthetically pleasing. This is a fantastic reference set and I can see why it's getting the reviews that it does. Motion is very smooth, zero banding and the HDR is the best I've experienced on any set - the HCX stuff does actually work very well. I'm feed it UHD from a UB9000 player.

Only downsides for me relate to the small remote control - it's uncomfortable for my hand and too easy to select something with the touchpad. I wish the primary TV remote had the same backlit functionality of the UB9000 player.

So far, I'm very happy with this purchase
tomO2013 is offline  
post #131 of 270 Old 12-30-2018, 10:32 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Toronto
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
Just finished setting up my new Logitech Harmony ultimate home remote I got on sale today, it looks and works very well with my Panasonic Oled and all my equipment. Highly recommend it to anyone with a Home Theater setup. The Elite Harmony is nice also but this one does everything I need it to do. I have the older version in my living room "Harmony one" but this one has automation features as well. Which is what I'm doing next, is setting it up with Google assistant.

Attachment 2501124
Nice 👌
How’s the remote? I’m looking at getting one ...
Right now I have a nvidia shield remote; Apple TV remote; Sony sound bar remote; and the Panasonic tv remote..
Hopefully the harmony remote can tie all four remotes down..
Are you experiencing any lag operating the remote ?
Paulo M is offline  
post #132 of 270 Old 12-30-2018, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Latinoheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 4,342
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1483 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo M View Post
Nice 👌
How’s the remote? I’m looking at getting one ...
Right now I have a nvidia shield remote; Apple TV remote; Sony sound bar remote; and the Panasonic tv remote..
Hopefully the harmony remote can tie all four remotes down..
Are you experiencing any lag operating the remote ?
Hi Paulo, I'm loving it, I was getting tired of using 3 remotes to watch tv, One to turn the tv on , one to turn the cable box on and one to turn on the receiver. Now it's just one click to do it all. I integrated my google assistant with it, so now I can just say " OK Google turn on tv" or "let's watch a movie" or "listen to music" and all my equipment turns on and all right inputs are selected.

I'm sure it can tie all your equipment together nicely, just make sure if you have equipment behind cabinets you need to get the one I got with the hub so it can control them behind the cabinets. If not, than you can save money and just buy the remote itself. No lag and you can program your own activities and choose your fav channels on the screen remote too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	2503058
Paulo M likes this.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
Latinoheat is offline  
post #133 of 270 Old 01-01-2019, 07:42 PM
Member
 
wozman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: London Ontario Canada
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
Just finished setting up my new Logitech Harmony ultimate home remote I got on sale today, it looks and works very well with my Panasonic Oled and all my equipment. Highly recommend it to anyone with a Home Theater setup. The Elite Harmony is nice also but this one does everything I need it to do. I have the older version in my living room "Harmony one" but this one has automation features as well. Which is what I'm doing next, is setting it up with Google assistant.

Attachment 2501124

Little off topic here.....


Looks great, I have (2) Harmony Remotes the Harmony Touch (controlling my Media Room) controlling 6 devices, Its a life saver. And an older Harmony One still working and controlling my Living Room Setup. Excellent products. Question tho, I recently got Amazon Echo Plus and Dot over the holidays and was wondering can both these older remotes be configured with the smart home setup such as you are doing with Google? OR do I need a brand new remote OR just the Harmony Hub (which looks like is included with your new remote) If both my remotes are still working fine, could I just introduce the Harmony Hub into the equation and not spend for a new complete remote package?


Thanks

Media Room: 55" Panasonic ST60, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Oppo UDP-203, Panasonic DMP-UB400, HTPC, PS4, Pioneer Andrew Jones Series Speakers plus Subs (Atmos Ready 5.2.4)
Living Room: 50" Pioneer Kuro Plasma PDP-5020FD, Pioneer VSX-1326-k, Panasonic BDT-360, PS3, Bose Acoustimass 6 Series(5.1)
wozman is offline  
post #134 of 270 Old 01-02-2019, 02:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Latinoheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 4,342
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1483 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
Quote:
Originally Posted by wozman View Post
Little off topic here.....


Looks great, I have (2) Harmony Remotes the Harmony Touch (controlling my Media Room) controlling 6 devices, Its a life saver. And an older Harmony One still working and controlling my Living Room Setup. Excellent products. Question tho, I recently got Amazon Echo Plus and Dot over the holidays and was wondering can both these older remotes be configured with the smart home setup such as you are doing with Google? OR do I need a brand new remote OR just the Harmony Hub (which looks like is included with your new remote) If both my remotes are still working fine, could I just introduce the Harmony Hub into the equation and not spend for a new complete remote package?


Thanks
You need to have the harmony hub in order to control your home Theater setups. Google assistant or Amazon echo controls everything through the hub. You may need 2 if you want to control the living room as well.
wozman likes this.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
Latinoheat is offline  
post #135 of 270 Old 01-02-2019, 06:27 PM
Member
 
wozman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: London Ontario Canada
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wozman View Post
Little off topic here.....


Looks great, I have (2) Harmony Remotes the Harmony Touch (controlling my Media Room) controlling 6 devices, Its a life saver. And an older Harmony One still working and controlling my Living Room Setup. Excellent products. Question tho, I recently got Amazon Echo Plus and Dot over the holidays and was wondering can both these older remotes be configured with the smart home setup such as you are doing with Google? OR do I need a brand new remote OR just the Harmony Hub (which looks like is included with your new remote) If both my remotes are still working fine, could I just introduce the Harmony Hub into the equation and not spend for a new complete remote package?


Thanks
You need to have the harmony hub in order to control your home Theater setups. Google assistant or Amazon echo controls everything through the hub. You may need 2 if you want to control the living room as well.
So my Harmony Touch is fine, just need to add the Hub, no need for a combo new remote and hub like you got, cause I see the Hub is available on its own.

Thanks

Media Room: 55" Panasonic ST60, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Oppo UDP-203, Panasonic DMP-UB400, HTPC, PS4, Pioneer Andrew Jones Series Speakers plus Subs (Atmos Ready 5.2.4)
Living Room: 50" Pioneer Kuro Plasma PDP-5020FD, Pioneer VSX-1326-k, Panasonic BDT-360, PS3, Bose Acoustimass 6 Series(5.1)
wozman is offline  
post #136 of 270 Old 01-02-2019, 06:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Latinoheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 4,342
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1483 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
Quote:
Originally Posted by wozman View Post

So my Harmony Touch is fine, just need to add the Hub, no need for a combo new remote and hub like you got, cause I see the Hub is available on its own.

Thanks
Yes , if you buy one hub it will control your media room setup. You can even control your lights and shades if you had Amazon ready lights and shades (blinds) among other stuff. Cool stuff to play with.
wozman likes this.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
Latinoheat is offline  
post #137 of 270 Old 01-06-2019, 12:33 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
Yes , if you buy one hub it will control your media room setup. You can even control your lights and shades if you had Amazon ready lights and shades (blinds) among other stuff. Cool stuff to play with.
Hi,


Does this 80 min panel service help in anyway if done more times than when prompted? Or will it have any harm on this tv if done more often than needed? What does it do exactly? I have done it few times already.



Im just thinking to maybe replace my unit. There is a slight yellow tint in bright/white scenes at far left side of the screen. Its a vertical line from top to bottom. Only to be seen at certain situations and by me because i was looking for defects. It seems that this panel is slightly bended from the left side. There is a clear angle from where this tint starts. Also was thinking that can it get worse by time?



I cannot see this tint with most of the content and its faar at the left so intrest is mostly at the center of the screen anyways. I just wish that i would have checked this at the store. There is clear correlation between this tint and bending. But with panel lottery i can get a more defective panel.



TV has 140 hours of watching and no banding to be seen in any content. A very minor vertical line just in this spot where is this bend at left from down to bottom with 5% grey slide. This is very minor and getting better with more hours to this TV. This tint wories me though.



Thanks and all the best.
Polla is offline  
post #138 of 270 Old 01-06-2019, 12:48 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_42 View Post
Here is what watching hockey looks like on mine. You can still see the tint in the picture.
Have you seen any twisting in this panel of yours at right side? I have similar problem at watching straight on and this tint is at left side. Funny thing is that if i move to of-axis to the right and then this tint is less to be seen. I like to watch staight on and then this tint is to be seen if looked. So..
Polla is offline  
post #139 of 270 Old 01-08-2019, 12:02 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 153
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polla View Post
Have you seen any twisting in this panel of yours at right side? I have similar problem at watching straight on and this tint is at left side. Funny thing is that if i move to of-axis to the right and then this tint is less to be seen. I like to watch staight on and then this tint is to be seen if looked. So..
Mine did not display any tinting if I was watching from straight on. If I was on the right side of the screen, the tinting was on the right side. If I was on the left side, the tinting was on the left side. I had exchanged the panel for another over the holidays and thought it was clear, then moved our furniture back to normal after the tree came down and it was the same. It went back for an LG E8. No tinting at all on it and works a lot better for my setup.
mark_42 is offline  
post #140 of 270 Old 01-08-2019, 06:41 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Toronto
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Panasonic just jumped on the Dolby Vision band-wagon, with the new GZ200 oled announced at CES.
I wonder if this means the current FZ950 /FZ1000 models would possibly get a firmware update to support Dolby Vision?
That would be so cool...one can dream I suppose
wozman likes this.
Paulo M is offline  
post #141 of 270 Old 01-08-2019, 07:02 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Toronto
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
Hi Paulo, I'm loving it, I was getting tired of using 3 remotes to watch tv, One to turn the tv on , one to turn the cable box on and one to turn on the receiver. Now it's just one click to do it all. I integrated my google assistant with it, so now I can just say " OK Google turn on tv" or "let's watch a movie" or "listen to music" and all my equipment turns on and all right inputs are selected.

I'm sure it can tie all your equipment together nicely, just make sure if you have equipment behind cabinets you need to get the one I got with the hub so it can control them behind the cabinets. If not, than you can save money and just buy the remote itself. No lag and you can program your own activities and choose your fav channels on the screen remote too.

Attachment 2503058
Just setup my Logitech remote, it struggled a little at first to synch with the nvidia shield, but now all’s well after a few resets and troubleshooting.
What a treat to use, my wife loves it too, it’s an awesome remote thus far.
Latinoheat likes this.
Paulo M is offline  
post #142 of 270 Old 01-08-2019, 07:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Latinoheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 4,342
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1483 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo M View Post

Panasonic just jumped on the Dolby Vision band-wagon, with the new GZ200 oled announced at CES.
I wonder if this means the current FZ950 /FZ1000 models would possibly get a firmware update to support Dolby Vision?
That would be so cool...one can dream I suppose
Yup, it will be the first Oled with HDR10/+ and DV along with atmos. Unfortunately it was quoted that there will be no firmware upgrade to implement DV. Although it would be nice but as others have found out when comparing both formats, the way this tv does the tone mapping with HDR10, some have found that it looks better than DV.
Paulo M likes this.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
Latinoheat is offline  
post #143 of 270 Old 01-09-2019, 08:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lsorensen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,569
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1399 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo M View Post
Panasonic just jumped on the Dolby Vision band-wagon, with the new GZ200 oled announced at CES.
I wonder if this means the current FZ950 /FZ1000 models would possibly get a firmware update to support Dolby Vision?
That would be so cool...one can dream I suppose
Well a few problems with that happening:

Panasonic would probably have to retroactively pay royalties to Dolby for each TV they already sold that could get that firmware update. I doubt they are very interested in giving away money to Dolby to add a feature in TVs they have already sold. Better to just make money on selling new TVs with the feature while getting paid for it.

The processor would have to be powerful enough to do the same thing Sony did given they obviously don't have the dedicated Dolby chip that LG is using. On the new model they might have gone with the Dolby chip like LG or maybe they have decided to go the Sony way. Don't think we will know for a while.

The money one is probably the biggest obstacle.
Paulo M likes this.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
lsorensen is offline  
post #144 of 270 Old 01-10-2019, 08:09 PM
Member
 
wozman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: London Ontario Canada
Posts: 72
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo M View Post
Panasonic just jumped on the Dolby Vision band-wagon, with the new GZ200 oled announced at CES.
I wonder if this means the current FZ950 /FZ1000 models would possibly get a firmware update to support Dolby Vision?
That would be so cool...one can dream I suppose

This is interesting, as I have been sitting on the fence awaiting a purchase for my first 4K Display, (been saving this past year and thought I would of jumped on one by now) have a vast library of 4K UHD media ready to roll, looks good on my current Panasonic ST60 but not 4K obviously. Been debating between the FZ950 (HDR10+ but no Dolby Vision) or the LGC8 (has Dolby Vision) finding a set that will support both formats is a HUGE win for me. I realize that I will need to upgrade my Receiver (Pioneer Elite SC-95) as well for the DV to pass thru but thats another story.

Media Room: 55" Panasonic ST60, Pioneer Elite SC-95, Oppo UDP-203, Panasonic DMP-UB400, HTPC, PS4, Pioneer Andrew Jones Series Speakers plus Subs (Atmos Ready 5.2.4)
Living Room: 50" Pioneer Kuro Plasma PDP-5020FD, Pioneer VSX-1326-k, Panasonic BDT-360, PS3, Bose Acoustimass 6 Series(5.1)
wozman is offline  
post #145 of 270 Old 01-17-2019, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
helvetica bold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,426
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1675 Post(s)
Liked: 1064
Is it possible to import the Panasonic OLED into the US? I work in broadcast and love Panasonic's color accuracy.

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
helvetica bold is offline  
post #146 of 270 Old 01-17-2019, 09:12 AM
Senior Member
 
65Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ladner, BC
Posts: 265
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
Is it possible to import the Panasonic OLED into the US? I work in broadcast and love Panasonic's color accuracy.
Are you sure that Panasonic does not ship OLED TVs into the US market? I just did a search for Panasonic USA and thought I saw an OLED TV. I live in Canada and while the Panasonic OLED TVs are available here I have yet to find one in one of the big box stores. They are more likely found in the mom & pop shops.

Processor: Marantz 8802a Amplifiers: ATI Signature AT6007, Emotiva XPA5 Floor Speakers: (3) Triad Inroom Gold Monitors and (4) Gold Minimonitors ATMOS Speakers: (4) Atlantic Technology IC-6 OBA BR Players: Oppo BDP-95, Panasonic DMP UB900 Streamers: Dune D1, Roku 4, nVidia Shield Screen: Panasonic Plasma TC-P65VT25 Subs: (2) Velodyne Optimums and (1) HSU ULS-15
65Goat is offline  
post #147 of 270 Old 01-17-2019, 10:39 AM
Senior Member
 
digmor crusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Manitoba
Posts: 319
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 25
65goat, Visions sells Panasonic in Canada.
digmor crusher is offline  
post #148 of 270 Old 01-17-2019, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Latinoheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 4,342
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1483 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Goat View Post

Are you sure that Panasonic does not ship OLED TVs into the US market? I just did a search for Panasonic USA and thought I saw an OLED TV. I live in Canada and while the Panasonic OLED TVs are available here I have yet to find one in one of the big box stores. They are more likely found in the mom & pop shops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post

Is it possible to import the Panasonic OLED into the US? I work in broadcast and love Panasonic's color accuracy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by digmor crusher View Post

65goat, Visions sells Panasonic in Canada.
It is possible to import a Panasonic Oled into the US, just like how we are able to import from the US into Canada. They sell Panasonic Oled in Visions electronics as well as Audio & Video.
helvetica bold likes this.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
Latinoheat is offline  
post #149 of 270 Old 01-18-2019, 10:03 AM
Senior Member
 
65Goat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Ladner, BC
Posts: 265
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by digmor crusher View Post
65goat, Visions sells Panasonic in Canada.
Guess that's why I haven't seen it in stores - Visions has never been a store I've favoured as I've always felt their sales tactics were high pressure, and their prices were high.

Processor: Marantz 8802a Amplifiers: ATI Signature AT6007, Emotiva XPA5 Floor Speakers: (3) Triad Inroom Gold Monitors and (4) Gold Minimonitors ATMOS Speakers: (4) Atlantic Technology IC-6 OBA BR Players: Oppo BDP-95, Panasonic DMP UB900 Streamers: Dune D1, Roku 4, nVidia Shield Screen: Panasonic Plasma TC-P65VT25 Subs: (2) Velodyne Optimums and (1) HSU ULS-15
65Goat is offline  
post #150 of 270 Old 01-18-2019, 10:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
lsorensen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,569
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1399 Post(s)
Liked: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Goat View Post
Guess that's why I haven't seen it in stores - Visions has never been a store I've favoured as I've always felt their sales tactics were high pressure, and their prices were high.
I haven't bought much there, but what I did buy was priced reasonably and they did not seem to be high pressure at all. Might very by location.
65Goat likes this.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
lsorensen is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
panasonic oled

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off