2018 Panasonic FZ Series OLED Owner's Thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 76Likes

post #151 of 271 Old 01-18-2019, 10:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Goat View Post
Guess that's why I haven't seen it in stores - Visions has never been a store I've favoured as I've always felt their sales tactics were high pressure, and their prices were high.
I think their prices are pretty much the same as Best Buy. But I hear ya about the sale practices. I bought my last tv there, went I to the counter to pay the sales guy had a $140.00 set of HDMI cables that he said I needed, I almost walked out.
65Goat likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 271 Old 01-18-2019, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by digmor crusher View Post
I think their prices are pretty much the same as Best Buy. But I hear ya about the sale practices. I bought my last tv there, went I to the counter to pay the sales guy had a $140.00 set of HDMI cables that he said I needed, I almost walked out.
The thing I like about Visions is the price is always negotiable. I dont buy a lot there but once I have my mind made up its easy to go in and get a better price than the competition, not as relaxing as browsing best buy but you can also have some fun with it.
post #153 of 271 Old 01-18-2019, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1486 Post(s)
Liked: 1476
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Goat View Post

Guess that's why I haven't seen it in stores - Visions has never been a store I've favoured as I've always felt their sales tactics were high pressure, and their prices were high.
I actually love buying tv's there simply because the price is always negotiable unlike other brick stores and one can really get a real good deal like I did on this FZ950 Oled. I also like their warranty it covers pretty much everything including BI and if warranty is not used in the time period you get your money back in store credit and such.

As for the sales tactics I guess it varies from place to place, every salesmen will try and sell expensive cables to non informed customers unfortunately.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #154 of 271 Old 01-20-2019, 07:41 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Looking forward to receiving my Panasonic FZ1000 tomorrow according to shipping info. (Aust model which is equiv to 2018 FZ950 Euro model).

Any cautions or things to watch-out for on first start-up that aren't in the manual? Any issues with firmware updates so far?

Thanks!
post #155 of 271 Old 01-21-2019, 09:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1424 Post(s)
Liked: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
I actually love buying tv's there simply because the price is always negotiable unlike other brick stores and one can really get a real good deal like I did on this FZ950 Oled. I also like their warranty it covers pretty much everything including BI and if warranty is not used in the time period you get your money back in store credit and such.

As for the sales tactics I guess it varies from place to place, every salesmen will try and sell expensive cables to non informed customers unfortunately.
Pretty sure visions warranty does not cover burn in.

"2 (b). Protection is for detects in material or workmanship. Wear and tear, accident abuse, misuse, 'burn-in' of the image/parasitic capacitance, or any unauthorized service performed is not covered. "

But it does turn into a store credit if not used which could be nice.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #156 of 271 Old 01-21-2019, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post

Pretty sure visions warranty does not cover burn in.

"2 (b). Protection is for detects in material or workmanship. Wear and tear, accident abuse, misuse, 'burn-in' of the image/parasitic capacitance, or any unauthorized service performed is not covered. "

But it does turn into a store credit if not used which could be nice.
I was tolled otherwise. Either way I'm insured for 5yrs, so no worries for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GmpOLED View Post

Looking forward to receiving my Panasonic FZ1000 tomorrow according to shipping info. (Aust model which is equiv to 2018 FZ950 Euro model).

Any cautions or things to watch-out for on first start-up that aren't in the manual? Any issues with firmware updates so far?

Thanks!
Congrats, no issues I have noticed or found with updates. Show us once you are setup.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
post #157 of 271 Old 01-22-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
I was tolled otherwise. Either way I'm insured for 5yrs, so no worries for me.

Congrats, no issues I have noticed or found with updates. Show us once you are setup.
Just finished setting up WiFi and all seems good on that front. The joy you get with a new purchase was short-lived. The 55FZ1000 is in our living room as the main TV in less than perfect conditions during daytime. No direct sunlight to the room but windows on opposite side of room to TV. Seemed to be OK viewing until I started noticing a pink/magenta tint on largely white background scenes and then on a powered off black screen with reflections from the windows opposite showing.

This reminded of HDTVTest Vincent's review of the 2017 EZ950 which actually clearly shows the problem with magenta tinting in bright reflections due to the Anti-reflective filter used in this budget model. The 2017 EZ1000 and all the 2018 FZ series are supposed to have the better Panasonic Anti-reflective "Absolute Black Filter" which provides pure blacks even with reflected external light sources.

Rang the Australian number for Panasonic which put me through to a Philipine's call centre. The usual scenario of reading off a screen and no clue and "ring the shop". Will be following through with the store.

Not sure what has happened here but suspect that due to the less popular 55" size there would have been left over 2017 55" EZ950
panels that made their way into the Aust 2018 55" FZ. Note that in 2017 there was an EZ950 basic model and an EZ1000 model. To confuse matters in 2018 the equivalents in Eu zone are the FZ800/802 and the FZ950/952. In Australia we still have the previous year's numbering with FZ950 and FZ1000.
post #158 of 271 Old 01-22-2019, 11:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Pretty sure the magenta tint is still visible on the newer coating in bright lighting at certain angles, it's just less noticeable than the old coating. It's also not possible to have pure blacks in a lighted environment, regardless of the coating. "Absolute black filter" is just marketing words for a slightly better coating.

post #159 of 271 Old 01-23-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper View Post
Pretty sure the magenta tint is still visible on the newer coating in bright lighting at certain angles, it's just less noticeable than the old coating. It's also not possible to have pure blacks in a lighted environment, regardless of the coating. "Absolute black filter" is just marketing words for a slightly better coating.
If this is the case then advertising "Absolute Black Filter" is totally misleading. If you look up the Panasonic listing for the EZ1000 of last year it even goes into detail about its merits. This was 50% of the reason I went for another Panasonic when I had sworn never to go down that road again due to the offshore call centre for support here in Australia.

The magenta tint I'm getting during daytime viewing is very distacting and is clearly visible when a white background comes up in a scene. I never went looking for it but noticed it straight away and now can't help but see it. Not what I think is acceptable for a premium TV that self promotes on color accuracy. Yeah its very good in a dark room but that's only half the story. Very disappointing.
post #160 of 271 Old 01-24-2019, 05:34 PM

OK so I went back and read post no. 1 of this thread where it's mentioned that the 55FZ950 bought by ChaosCloud had a slight magenta tint but nowhere near as bad as earlier generation OLED panels.

This is my first OLED so when I see Panasonice advertising "Absolute Black Filter", that's what I assume I'm getting. HDTVtest reviews of FZ series don't mention any magenta tint as was noted for the EZ950.

Any other FZ owners notice even a slight magenta tint in bright reflections of natural light? (not direct sunlight). Would really appreciate feedback on this.
post #161 of 271 Old 01-24-2019, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

OK so I went back and read post no. 1 of this thread where it's mentioned that the 55FZ950 bought by ChaosCloud had a slight magenta tint but nowhere near as bad as earlier generation OLED panels.

This is my first OLED so when I see Panasonice advertising "Absolute Black Filter", that's what I assume I'm getting. HDTVtest reviews of FZ series don't mention any magenta tint as was noted for the EZ950.

Any other FZ owners notice even a slight magenta tint in bright reflections of natural light? (not direct sunlight). Would really appreciate feedback on this.
I'm not really understanding what you mean, all Oled panels have a magenta purple look when the screen is off to some degree. When it's on in daytime or under bright conditions, I don't notice anything in particular to what you describe specially when displaying a white background.

What are you watching that displays a white background for so long for it to be an issue? Can't you just close the blinds or curtains if it's such a problem for you? Any tv whether it's Oled or LCD will give you reflections in a bright daytime environment. Maybe try posting a picture of what you are seeing, that may help.

post #162 of 271 Old 01-25-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
I'm not really understanding what you mean, all Oled panels have a magenta purple look when the screen is off to some degree. When it's on in daytime or under bright conditions, I don't notice anything in particular to what you describe specially when displaying a white background.
I have also asked the same question on a similarly named forum as I'm keen to find out the truth of the matter. There are a number of other people who have noticed a magenta tint on their FZ model Tvs as well as myself. This was noted on the 2017 EZ950 Tvs and supposedly resolved with the "Absolute Black Filter" in the 2017 EZ1000 and all 2018 FZ models. The 2018 55" FZ models seem to be the ones mentioned so far with magenta tint.

Quote:

What are you watching that displays a white background for so long for it to be an issue? Can't you just close the blinds or curtains if it's such a problem for you? Any tv whether it's Oled or LCD will give you reflections in a bright daytime environment. Maybe try posting a picture of what you are seeing, that may help.
On the other forum people who have had the EZ950 and upgraded to an FZ model say they had the magenta tint on the EZ950 and their FZ doesn't show a magenta tint but is neutral. I've asked to clarify if they are 55" or 65" models. There are 2 pictures posted there that show the magenta tint on 55" models. Not sure if it's appropriate to link the thread from here? I didn't have much success with taking an accurate picture but will try again with a tripod soon.

It's not a case of "displaying a white background for so long". When watching any content during daytime it is obvious and distracting to see white or light colors with a magenta tint. Once you notice it you can't un-notice it.

I made a decision in 2017 not to buy the EZ950 because of this issue due to my specific viewing conditions. I bought the 2018 FZ because it was meant to have resolved this with the "Absolute Black Filter". I'm hoping to get to the truth of the matter because I don't believe I have what I paid for.
post #163 of 271 Old 01-25-2019, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^ We'll like I said, you will most likely have that same issue that bothers you, regardless of what tv you have. Maybe try a Brighter setting and see if it helps you. For me it's not an issue whatsoever, I don't see anything you described. I have big windows on the side of my media room also.

post #164 of 271 Old 01-25-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
^^^ We'll like I said, you will most likely have that same issue that bothers you, regardless of what tv you have. Maybe try a Brighter setting and see if it helps you. For me it's not an issue whatsoever, I don't see anything you described. I have big windows on the side of my media room also.
Don't agree with your statement at all. There are others with the FZ series who don't have the issue that myself and others with the 55" do. I just noticed that you have a 65" FZ so probably starts painting a bit of a picture that it may be only some 55" FZs that are affected. If you don't see or have the issue it doesn't automatically mean that others don't. You are one of the lucky ones.

Last edited by GmpOLED; 01-28-2019 at 12:44 AM.
post #165 of 271 Old 01-25-2019, 08:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Don't agree with your statement at all. There are others with the FZ series who don't have the issue that myself and others with the 55" do. I just noticed that you have a 65" FZ so probably starts painting a bit of a picture that it may be only 55" FZs that are affected. If you don't see or have the issue it doesn't automatically mean that others don't. You are one of the lucky ones.
Never said "others don't" just going by my own experience, just trying to help you man, have a good weekend.

post #166 of 271 Old 01-25-2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Never said "others don't" just going by my own experience, just trying to help you man, have a good weekend.
No worries. You have a good one too.
post #167 of 271 Old 01-27-2019, 10:32 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Don't agree with your statement at all. There are others with the FZ series who don't have the issue that myself and others with the 55" do. I just noticed that you have a 65" FZ so probably starts painting a bit of a picture that it may be only 55" FZs that are affected. If you don't see or have the issue it doesn't automatically mean that others don't. You are one of the lucky ones.

I have the FZ950c 55", And I cant say I've seen any seen any weird magenta, I actually tested it out with a full blown white screen under different picture modes (i.e THX Cinema, Professional 1 & 2..etc). And the screen/colour seemed pretty uniform.
I have floor to ceiling windows and quite a bit of sunlight during the day (although I do turn down the blinds if watching content during the day), But still no issues with magenta showing through during the day.
I'm a bit obsessive/compulsive with stuff like this, so I feel your pain
post #168 of 271 Old 01-27-2019, 02:23 PM

Has anyone tried pairing bluetooth devices with the TV?
I was pleasantly surprised that my airpods worked...Was watching a late night show and didn't want to wake up the misses.
Now I'm on the hunt for some over-ear wireless headphones for late night viewing
post #169 of 271 Old 01-28-2019, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo M View Post
Has anyone tried pairing bluetooth devices with the TV?
I was pleasantly surprised that my airpods worked...Was watching a late night show and didn't want to wake up the misses.
Now I'm on the hunt for some over-ear wireless headphones for late night viewing
Had a bit of a look at Bluetooth HeadPhones but kept coming across references to vision to sound lag issues with most. There were some low latency bluetooth gaming headphones but not cheap. Maybe others who have actually tried bluetooth headphones can comment?

RF headphones seemed to be the recommendation to avoid latency problems. The Sennheiser RS185 is an example.
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/re...ome-theater-tv

The less convienient but cheaper option is an extension lead for wired headphones!
Paulo M likes this.

Last edited by GmpOLED; 01-28-2019 at 12:42 AM.
post #170 of 271 Old 01-30-2019, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Panasonic OLED TV

Is there a way to purchase a Panasonic TX-65FZ800 in the US?
post #171 of 271 Old 01-30-2019, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked: 1597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Dobbins View Post
Is there a way to purchase a Panasonic TX-65FZ800 in the US?
FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/panasonic-s...market-4055689
post #172 of 271 Old 01-31-2019, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panson View Post

Just regurgitating everything everyone on Avsforum already knows it’s as if they read the various threads and culled a list. Some of these “sites” really need to close down.
Paulo M likes this.

"well you know what doctor I'm going to go home take two aspirins and call you a b****"
post #173 of 271 Old 02-01-2019, 10:58 PM

Hey guys!
Has anyone tested any 4K+HDR+4:4:4 chroma content on this tele?
post #174 of 271 Old 02-02-2019, 07:04 PM

I have an Nvidia shield & Apple TV 4K hooked up to my fz950c (they’re hooked up to the full bandwidth HDMI ports).
Some tv series on Netflix & Amazon video show the “hdr” badge/logo, others display as “ultra HD”..
How does one get hdr10+ content? How does one know if you’re accessing hdr10+ material...would be nice if the apps had a badge showing it...
post #175 of 271 Old 02-02-2019, 07:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I have an Nvidia shield & Apple TV 4K hooked up to my fz950c (they’re hooked up to the full bandwidth HDMI ports).
Some tv series on Netflix & Amazon video show the “hdr” badge/logo, others display as “ultra HD”..
How does one get hdr10+ content? How does one know if you’re accessing hdr10+ material...would be nice if the apps had a badge showing it...
Yea Amazon prime is currently the only provider that has HDR10+ content, the problem is you won't know where to find it as there is no badge or info to let you know. Here is a list that may help.

https://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...by-atmos/42831
Paulo M likes this.

post #176 of 271 Old 02-02-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Yea Amazon prime is currently the only provider that has HDR10+ content, the problem is you won't know where to find it as there is no badge or info to let you know. Here is a list that may help.

Quote:

Thanks for the link man!
Was watching some of the “Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams” on Amazon and I thought the hdr looked more vivid than the stuff on Netflix, which led me to wonder wether it was hdr10+...which according to the link it is.
Downloaded the Panasonic remote app to see if that would identify hdr content...but to bad it doesn’t.

All in all...now on the hunt for a decent panny uhd player..perhaps a ub820 or ub900...although part of me thinks I should just wait for their new players coming up
post #177 of 271 Old 02-02-2019, 08:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the link man!
Was watching some of the “Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams” on Amazon and I thought the hdr looked more vivid than the stuff on Netflix, which led me to wonder wether it was hdr10+...which according to the link it is.
Downloaded the Panasonic remote app to see if that would identify hdr content...but to bad it doesn’t.

All in all...now on the hunt for a decent panny uhd player..perhaps a ub820 or ub900...although part of me thinks I should just wait for their new players coming up
No problem, I have the Panasonic UB820 and it's a match made in heaven.

post #178 of 271 Old 02-03-2019, 09:04 PM

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if some of you could lend me your keen eyes in digesting some content on Amazon Video
In particular a scene from "Electric Dreams - episode 4 (time stamp 2:00 mins).
I was watching the episode, and around the 2min mark, I noticed quite a bit of artifacts, particularly around the red colours (pics attached for reference).
I've noticed some artifacts on other content too, also I've been mucking about with three different (UHD premium) hdmi cables, and the artifacts are the same throughout all three cables, perhaps I'm just being a tad bit obsessive-compulsive.

I'm using the Nvidia Shields amazon app, connected to hdmi 1 port (full bandwidth)
I'm using picture modes - THX Cinema & Professional 1.

I'm wondering if it's just a streaming/compression thing, are any of you noticing the same..?

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	red1.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	988.2 KB
ID:	2520176   Click image for larger version

Name:	red2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	828.5 KB
ID:	2520178  
post #179 of 271 Old 02-06-2019, 02:42 AM

Liked: 10
Hi just got the 55fz950.
Couple of issues I'm hoping one of the wise gurus on here can help with.
1. Plex streaming. Can't seem to stream 4k, my server doesn't recognise the tv as bieng 4k and starts to transcode which causes buffering. Works great on my other devices so maybe there's a setting on the TV or plex app I've missed?
2. Judder. I'm noticing some judder or it seems like skipping/blurriness when the camera pans quickly. I've been watching Netflix via the app on the TV mainly and can notice it on the blue planet 2 when animals are running over the savannah or other fast movement over a bright background. Very annoying.

Hopefully there's an easy fix for these
post #180 of 271 Old 02-06-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gialandon View Post
Hi just got the 55fz950.
Couple of issues I'm hoping one of the wise gurus on here can help with.
1. Plex streaming. Can't seem to stream 4k, my server doesn't recognise the tv as bieng 4k and starts to transcode which causes buffering. Works great on my other devices so maybe there's a setting on the TV or plex app I've missed?
2. Judder. I'm noticing some judder or it seems like skipping/blurriness when the camera pans quickly. I've been watching Netflix via the app on the TV mainly and can notice it on the blue planet 2 when animals are running over the savannah or other fast movement over a bright background. Very annoying.

Hopefully there's an easy fix for these

I find the motion blur/stutter sometimes happens with 60hz content, and not so much on 24hz content, its a subjective thing, some people are more sensitive to it than others.
Try the following under menu:

- Make sure the TV has the latest firmware update > under network > software update v.2.074 (latest Canadian version), will differ per region.

- Under picture: “Motion picture setting” - try using some of the presets - the higher you increase it the more of a "soap opera" effect you'll get, start with "minimum" setting.
- Under advanced picture: Black frame insertion > on/off (this is suppose to help with motion blur, but turning it on will increase flicker, most ppl notice the flicker, some don't, I personally keep it off as it does bother my eyes)

As for the Plex app on the tele, try:
+Settings > video > allow direct play
+Maximum h.264 level > recommended
+Try connecting the TV via ethernet vs WIFI.

Also try testing playing some content via external sources/media players vs the built in apps and see how that goes, I have no issues with plex playing from my Nvidia Shield or Apple TV 4k (all hardwired), and connected to HDMI ports 1 & 2 (full bandwidth ports).

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
panasonic oled

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page