2018 Panasonic FZ Series OLED Owner's Thread - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 76Likes

post #211 of 274 Old 05-09-2019, 09:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 0
So my Samsung Plasma died, and I am looking to replace. Looks like the Panasonic are on sale. How is this TV for Sports?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 274 Old 05-09-2019, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1486 Post(s)
Liked: 1481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Hutcheson View Post

So my Samsung Plasma died, and I am looking to replace. Looks like the Panasonic are on sale. How is this TV for Sports?
It's awesome, I enjoy watching Soccer, Basketball, Hockey, Wrestling, Football, Tennis, I even catch myself watching Golf cause it looks so good. There are different settings to use, each individual is different. Source and cables makes a difference also.
Cam1977 likes this.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
post #213 of 274 Old 05-09-2019, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
It's awesome, I enjoy watching Soccer, Basketball, Hockey, Wrestling, Football, Tennis, I even catch myself watching Golf cause it looks so good. There are different settings to use, each individual is different. Source and cables makes a difference also.
Hi Latinoheat, would appreciate your thoughts on a couple of questions.

I'm on Shaw for cable but have been looking at Telus Optik. Any thoughts on either as a source?

And how does hockey come across on this TV? Is the ice bright white? I've seen it as off white and bluish on a couple other OLED's from LG and but not on a panny. Since the panels are all LG wondering how it is on your tv. Also, how's the motion on the set? I've seen other sets showing multiple pucks on icing's.

Finally, do you worry about image retention with logo's at all? Sportsnets logo is a translucent white so that one should be ok I hope for watching 3 consecutive games on Hockey Day in Canada. I'm more concerned I think about the logo's on TSN, Fox, NBC and CBS if I decide to spend an entire Sunday watching NFL football. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

As the prices are coming down and the Sony's are still at MSRP, Panny is becoming an option for me.

Thank you.

ps. How did the Master's look on this set?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 274 Old 05-09-2019, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJDDawg View Post
Hi Latinoheat, would appreciate your thoughts on a couple of questions.

I'm on Shaw for cable but have been looking at Telus Optik. Any thoughts on either as a source?

And how does hockey come across on this TV? Is the ice bright white? I've seen it as off white and bluish on a couple other OLED's from LG and but not on a panny. Since the panels are all LG wondering how it is on your tv. Also, how's the motion on the set? I've seen other sets showing multiple pucks on icing's.

Finally, do you worry about image retention with logo's at all? Sportsnets logo is a translucent white so that one should be ok I hope for watching 3 consecutive games on Hockey Day in Canada. I'm more concerned I think about the logo's on TSN, Fox, NBC and CBS if I decide to spend an entire Sunday watching NFL football. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

As the prices are coming down and the Sony's are still at MSRP, Panny is becoming an option for me.

Thank you.

ps. How did the Master's look on this set?
Hi, my HD cable provider is Telus Optik and in my opinion is much better than Shaw which I use to use years ago. Telus Optik has 4K programming also. Hockey looks as natural as it looks in person. Panasonic Oleds are known for displaying a very accurate picture and color. No issue whatsoever with seeing multiple pucks. That was an issue I had with my 2008 Sharp Aquos LCD. Motion is subjective also, some like to use BFI with sports as it makes motion very smooth, not to be confused with "Soap opera effect"

I come from Panasonic plasmas so I know how good the motion is on plasmas, as for IR , I have owned LG and now Panasonic Oleds and never had issues with IR/BI. Plasma was more prone to IR in my experience.

Golf looks fabulous BTW, hope this helps a bit.
MJDDawg likes this.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
post #215 of 274 Old 05-09-2019, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Hi, my HD cable provider is Telus Optik and in my opinion is much better than Shaw which I use to use years ago. Telus Optik has 4K programming also. Hockey looks as natural as it looks in person. Panasonic Oleds are known for displaying a very accurate picture and color. No issue whatsoever with seeing multiple pucks. That was an issue I had with my 2008 Sharp Aquos LCD. Motion is subjective also, some like to use BFI with sports as it makes motion very smooth, not to be confused with "Soap opera effect"

I come from Panasonic plasmas so I know how good the motion is on plasmas, as for IR , I have owned LG and now Panasonic Oleds and never had issues with IR/BI. Plasma was more prone to IR in my experience.

This helps a lot. Thank you.
post #216 of 274 Old 05-10-2019, 07:09 AM

Appreciate it as well. I am going to investigate getting my Samsung repaired - it appears at the moment that it might be a simple repair in the $100 range, but will know more next week. Then will decide the direction I am going to go.

Saw the Sony AF9 last night - drop dead gorgeous, but not paying full pop until it comes down in price. Still have to make time to see the Panasonic.
post #217 of 274 Old 05-11-2019, 01:17 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 330
These still are not available 'south of the border'??
I still wonder what ever happened to Technics.

Recording free OTA TV for 'time shifting' has been here since 1975. Will there be DVR's to do the same when ATSC3 obsoletes existing DVR's??
post #218 of 274 Old 05-14-2019, 11:52 AM

Looks like I am getting the Panasonic on Thursday. However I think I have been mixing up model numbers. Here in Canada it appears we have the FZ950 and the FZ1000.

The FZ 950 here looks like it is the FZ802/800 in Europe and Australia. Is that correct?

Just wondering if I should go for the FZ1000 instead? I don't need the sound bar, as I have a sound system. But am I missing out on anything else?
post #219 of 274 Old 05-14-2019, 11:57 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Looks like I am getting the Panasonic on Thursday. However I think I have been mixing up model numbers. Here in Canada it appears we have the FZ950 and the FZ1000.

The FZ 950 here looks like it is the FZ802/800 in Europe and Australia. Is that correct?

Just wondering if I should go for the FZ1000 instead? I don't need the sound bar, as I have a sound system. But am I missing out on anything else?
Soundbar and I think I read somewhere a better remote. Otherwise they are the same.
post #220 of 274 Old 05-15-2019, 07:39 AM

Remote question

Quote:

How do you like the remote? One thing I really liked with my Samsung was the touch pad for using the apps - like Netflix. It appears we only get a "cheap" remote for the 950 in Canada (because it is actually the 800).

Going to pick up the unit on Thursday. Looking forward to it.
post #221 of 274 Old 05-15-2019, 09:40 AM

What receiver are you using?

So here is another question I am interested in. For those that have this TV, what type of Receiver do you have it plugged into? I will be connecting to my Onkyo TX-NR757. Then I have to look at a 4K player, but it appears my receiver supports it (I hope anyway).

All the things you have to upgrade
post #222 of 274 Old 05-15-2019, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 107
The Panasonic remote is fine, but a harmony is better. Personally, I wouldn't let a remote influence buying a TV, but if its important the LG remote is pretty nice.
For a receiver, if it supports HDR10 and HDCP 2.2 then you should be good to go. Otherwise you will be using the TV's inputs for 4k sources and ARC or optical to get sound back. I am doing optical back, ARC doesn't have enough advantages to be tying up one of the two full bandwidth HDMI ports in my opinion. I do get some lipsync problems, but I have learned to live with it, I am waiting on HDMI 2.1 to hit the receiver market before I upgrade.
post #223 of 274 Old 05-15-2019, 05:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

How do you like the remote? One thing I really liked with my Samsung was the touch pad for using the apps - like Netflix. It appears we only get a "cheap" remote for the 950 in Canada (because it is actually the 800).

Going to pick up the unit on Thursday. Looking forward to it.
I use a Logitech ultimate home remote also, as for apps, I only use YouTube on it. My cable box has Netflix also so I mainly use that for Netflix. My receiver has Spotiffy and Sirius sat radio.

Quote:

So here is another question I am interested in. For those that have this TV, what type of Receiver do you have it plugged into? I will be connecting to my Onkyo TX-NR757. Then I have to look at a 4K player, but it appears my receiver supports it (I hope anyway).

All the things you have to upgrade
Your receiver is good for all your needs , no need for new receiver. You will need a 4K player to take full advantage of what this tv can do though.

post #224 of 274 Old 05-15-2019, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
What setting do you guys use for "contrast control" in HDR?

Auto or off?
post #225 of 274 Old 05-16-2019, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
These still are not available 'south of the border'??
I still wonder what ever happened to Technics.

I wonder if there is any way we can get these 'south of the border'??
post #226 of 274 Old 05-16-2019, 04:33 PM

Just installed the new TV. Question on Netflix - I am getting picture but I am not getting sound.

Setup as follows (HDMI from TV - either 1 or 2) to Onkyo TX-NR757. Turn on the TV - Receiver comes on and goes to Sat/CBL for regular TV. Picture and Sound (good). When I switch to Netflix - the Receiver switches to TV (as it did in the old setup), and I get Picture, but no sound.

Using HDMI 2 on the Receiver, which is set for HDCP 2.2.

Any thoughts?
post #227 of 274 Old 05-16-2019, 05:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Just installed the new TV. Question on Netflix - I am getting picture but I am not getting sound.

Setup as follows (HDMI from TV - either 1 or 2) to Onkyo TX-NR757. Turn on the TV - Receiver comes on and goes to Sat/CBL for regular TV. Picture and Sound (good). When I switch to Netflix - the Receiver switches to TV (as it did in the old setup), and I get Picture, but no sound.

Any thoughts?
You probably have to enable arc in your receiver and tv. If that doesn't work an optical cable will.

post #228 of 274 Old 05-17-2019, 05:06 AM

Quote:
You probably have to enable arc in your receiver and tv. If that doesn't work an optical cable will.
I don't really want an optical cable.

Did some testing last night. Reset the Receiver and the TV. I ended up getting Audio on Netflix - for a bit. However as soon as I closed the App, went to regular TV, and back to Netflix - no sound.

Setup Amazon Prime. Had sound

Setup YouTube. Had sound

Went back to Netflix. No sound.

Tested this morning. No sound in Netflix or Amazon Prime. However I have sound in Youtube (that app always seems to work).

Any thoughts? (I am going to post on the Onkyo site).
post #229 of 274 Old 05-17-2019, 12:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1429 Post(s)
Liked: 824
Quote:

Any thoughts?
The label on the back says ARC next to the main HDMI output only. I have never seen an AVR that supported ARC on more than one HDMI output, so you have to use that one. And of course you must use the only HDMI input on the TV that supports ARC (again I have never heard of any TV supporting ARC on more than one HDMI input).

So looking at pictures you must use the HDMI out labeled MAIN (not SUB) on the AVR and you must use HDMI 2 on the TV.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #230 of 274 Old 05-17-2019, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1429 Post(s)
Liked: 824
Quote:

Did some testing last night. Reset the Receiver and the TV. I ended up getting Audio on Netflix - for a bit. However as soon as I closed the App, went to regular TV, and back to Netflix - no sound.

Setup YouTube. Had sound

Tested this morning. No sound in Netflix or Amazon Prime. However I have sound in Youtube (that app always seems to work).

I wonder if the Onkyo has a problem with Dolby Digital Plus on ARC. Many AVRs up until a couple of years ago did not work with that and netflix uses that a lot (since it allows atmos). Not sure if prime ever does. Youtube does not use DD+ that I have ever heard of so that would just be Dolby Digital or PCM which works with any AVR that has ARC.

Not sure if the FZ800 has any setting to control the audio format used on ARC, although by license requirements, optical will never use DD+ only DD or PCM, so hence it wouldn't have the problem, but giving up ARC would be annoying. I know Sony allows you to select DD or DD+ explicitly in the setup, and that LG does not. I can't find it in the manual for the Panasonic though, although the way some parts of the ARC settings are mentioned makes me think it matches the LG and hence you only have the choice of stereo PCM or auto (which would then likely pick DD+ in netflix).

I know my Marantz SR5007 did not work with DD+ on ARC but was fine with DD. My SR6012 on the other hand is fine with DD+ being 5 years newer.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #231 of 274 Old 05-17-2019, 01:03 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 391
Quote:

Setup YouTube. Had sound

Follow these steps for ARC

First, make sure a hdmi cable is firmly connected between the HDMI 2 ARC port of your panasonic oled and the Main out HDMI port of the onkyo receiver.

Then, on the panasonic oled:
In settings, turn viera link on (or the setting will be viera link options and will have a sub-setting of ARC, turn that on). Press the apps button on the tv remote control, go to viera link, if there is any sound setting (or sound output) option, choose home cinema or ARC on it (this setting's name can vary by panasonic tv model).

Then move to the onkyo receiver:
Go to Settings>Hardware>HDMI
Set Hdmi CEC to on and Audio Return Channel to Auto
Go to Settings >Source
Set Audio Select to ARC

Now start the netflix app on the panasonic oled and play some video. On the onkyo remote controller, set TV as the input. The input on the onkyo receiver display should read TV for ARC to work correctly.

Now you should get ARC to work.
post #232 of 274 Old 05-19-2019, 04:43 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. I swapped out my HDMI cable and thought it was fixed, but turns out it wasn't.

At any rate - my work around for the moment - as weird as it is. Open YouTube and play a video for 15 to 20 seconds, as the sound always works. Once I do that - it will continue to work for Amazon Prime (though the Video and Audio seem to be out of synch for some shows) and Netflix. I am checking to see if I can reload the firmware on my Onkyo. I did it via Network and just read I should have done it via USB. I am wondering if something did not update properly.

But at least I can get it work consistently now.
post #233 of 274 Old 05-22-2019, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChavesBR View Post
What setting do you guys use for "contrast control" in HDR?

Auto or off?
You have to use it in auto, it's the one that activates the HDR.
post #234 of 274 Old 06-15-2019, 03:31 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 5
So the FZ series weighs 6-7 kgs more than the LG ones in the same size. They are slightly heavier than the Sony ones too. Why is that? Is the frame sturdier?

I'm a prospective buyer from India. Gonna buy either the A8F or FZ950 (FZ800 as it's known here) soon. Need a sturdy model that won't break if ever my cat decides to leap on it and then fall on the floor. It's gonna be wall mounted. Now the LG ones bend so easily. Sony is sturdy and all glass. What about the Panny one? It resembles LG ones as far as panel backing is concerned. Is the additional weight because of sturdier materials and frame for the panel? 6 kgs is a big difference.
post #235 of 274 Old 06-15-2019, 04:41 AM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash Makkar View Post
So the FZ series weighs 6-7 kgs more than the LG ones in the same size. They are slightly heavier than the Sony ones too. Why is that? Is the frame sturdier?

I'm a prospective buyer from India. Gonna buy either the A8F or FZ950 (FZ800 as it's known here) soon. Need a sturdy model that won't break if ever my cat decides to leap on it and then fall on the floor. It's gonna be wall mounted. Now the LG ones bend so easily. Sony is sturdy and all glass. What about the Panny one? It resembles LG ones as far as panel backing is concerned. Is the additional weight because of sturdier materials and frame for the panel? 6 kgs is a big difference.
The upper part of the panel is pure "screen" and there are stickers on it's back warning about not handling the TV on that area. That way, I don't think the extra weight is based on sturdiness.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Sent while surfing
post #236 of 274 Old 06-15-2019, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket-RJ View Post
The upper part of the panel is pure "screen" and there are stickers on it's back warning about not handling the TV on that area. That way, I don't think the extra weight is based on sturdiness.

Ah! Good to know. Unfortunately it's only available online here. So I can't check in person. LG ones have had multiple complaints with bending of the top part. Are the Panny ones just as bendable? I haven't seen any complaints of that so was curious.
post #237 of 274 Old 06-15-2019, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Ah! Good to know. Unfortunately it's only available online here. So I can't check in person. LG ones have had multiple complaints with bending of the top part. Are the Panny ones just as bendable? I haven't seen any complaints of that so was curious.
I don't know if it bends. Since I'm using it on a top tilted support, I'll probably be affected by bending, if it's prone to.

Sent while surfing
post #238 of 274 Old 06-15-2019, 06:38 AM

Quote:
I don't know if it bends. Since I'm using it on a top tilted support, I'll probably be affected by bending, if it's prone to.

Alright. Thanks a lot, man. I'll shell extra bucks for Sony then. Can't be helped. .
post #239 of 274 Old 06-15-2019, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Alright. Thanks a lot, man. I'll shell extra bucks for Sony then. Can't be helped. .
I'll check at home If there is a metal frame or anything like that...

Sent while surfing
post #240 of 274 Old 06-15-2019, 07:06 AM

Quote:
I'll check at home If there is a metal frame or anything like that...

That'll really help. My main concern is just the bending forward in case my cat jumps on top, tries her best to not fall but fails; only after bending the screen though. LG one is wafer thin and weak. If the Panny one has any reinforcements that provide more strength to it the top part, even though it's thin, I'll take it. I'm partial to Panasonic, plus I love that it'll be mostly accurate from the get go, and I don't have to worry about sub-par DV implementation on the Sony. Better lag too for gaming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
panasonic oled

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page