2018 Panasonic FZ Series OLED Owner's Thread - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 76Likes

post #241 of 274 Old 06-15-2019, 10:50 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akash Makkar View Post
That'll really help. My main concern is just the bending forward in case my cat jumps on top, tries her best to not fall but fails; only after bending the screen though. LG one is wafer thin and weak. If the Panny one has any reinforcements that provide more strength to it the top part, even though it's thin, I'll take it. I'm partial to Panasonic, plus I love that it'll be mostly accurate from the get go, and I don't have to worry about sub-par DV implementation on the Sony. Better lag too for gaming.
Just plastic and the screen itself...

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Sent while surfing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 274 Old 06-15-2019, 11:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2425 Post(s)
Liked: 1418
Quote:
That'll really help. My main concern is just the bending forward in case my cat jumps on top, tries her best to not fall but fails; only after bending the screen though. LG one is wafer thin and weak. If the Panny one has any reinforcements that provide more strength to it the top part, even though it's thin, I'll take it. I'm partial to Panasonic, plus I love that it'll be mostly accurate from the get go, and I don't have to worry about sub-par DV implementation on the Sony. Better lag too for gaming.
If i were you i would put something in front of the OLED when not in use...and check out how the cat responds to it. I currently have a 4cm thick TV. Not worry about the cat jumping upon it, worry about the screen though so i put something in front of it when not in use. With the OLED i would worry about the whole thing. One could take part of the box the TV was in, Panasonic box seems to be huge so a part will cover more than the TVs inches, and improvise something you feel comfortable with.
post #243 of 274 Old 06-18-2019, 07:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1429 Post(s)
Liked: 824
Quote:
None of my cats ever went near the OLED TV. It doesn't give off much heat and is so think that it doesn't appear to appeal to them at all.

If it is wall mounted, I don't see how it could fall over. Mine is not wall mounted, but I have it tethered to the stand and the wall. I am more worried about the 1 year old than the cats, and so far no issues at all.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 274 Old 06-18-2019, 07:34 AM

Other option is to install a shelf right above the TV, so the cat won't be able to climb your panel.

Sent while surfing
post #245 of 274 Old 06-18-2019, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 2425 Post(s)
Liked: 1418
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsorensen View Post
None of my cats ever went near the OLED TV. It doesn't give off much heat and is so think that it doesn't appear to appeal to them at all.

If it is wall mounted, I don't see how it could fall over. Mine is not wall mounted, but I have it tethered to the stand and the wall. I am more worried about the 1 year old than the cats, and so far no issues at all.
It could just take one fly on the screen.
post #246 of 274 Old 06-18-2019, 06:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1486 Post(s)
Liked: 1481
Quote:

So the FZ series weighs 6-7 kgs more than the LG ones in the same size. They are slightly heavier than the Sony ones too. Why is that? Is the frame sturdier?

I'm a prospective buyer from India. Gonna buy either the A8F or FZ950 (FZ800 as it's known here) soon. Need a sturdy model that won't break if ever my cat decides to leap on it and then fall on the floor. It's gonna be wall mounted. Now the LG ones bend so easily. Sony is sturdy and all glass. What about the Panny one? It resembles LG ones as far as panel backing is concerned. Is the additional weight because of sturdier materials and frame for the panel? 6 kgs is a big difference.
I also don’t see how a cat would jump and attack your tv specially if it’s wall mounted. It won’t go anywhere. I’ve had my oleds wall mounted since 2015 and my cat could care less about it, never tried anything on it.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
post #247 of 274 Old 06-18-2019, 11:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Thanks a lot for the feedback, guys! I know in most cases, it'll be left alone. A dark black hole it'll be on the wall. It's just that on that one day that she goes crazy, I need a TV that can stand the hit. Kittens and cats have chewed LG ones to death. Reddit has a couple of images. See this thread. I guess the TV was again an LG model.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com....php?t=5882404

It only takes one day, and we do have spiders, flies, moths, mosquitoes and lizards here. They excite her more than any toy. Glass won't scratch with her nails, as long as it's tempered and the build not super weak.

If I didn't have to worry about this, I would have gone with Panasonic as it appeals the most to me. Otherwise Sony seems most durable. I wish I didn't have to worry about it, but since here in India we earn lesser and such products are truly luxury ones, costing at least 40-50% that what it would cost in US, if not twice as much if sales are taken into consideration. I can afford one now, but need something that'll last 4-5 years.

I took Panasonic in consideration only because the weight confused me a bit, and I couldn't check it in person. It's 4 kgs heavier than the Sony model, which is quite substantial, even though Sony has a panel backing that's twice as thick. I wish someone did TV breakdowns with reviews, but I guess the cost prohibits that.
post #248 of 274 Old 06-19-2019, 12:34 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 5

Fascinating! So whether OLED TVs last or not depend entirely on the strength of the glass in front, because if they break, the panel immediately underneath will be damaged. Now how to figure out which brand is using the most durable glass in front? LG is definitely not durable as kittens have chewed the TVs to death, even if it's just a couple of reported case. Sony and Panasonic; I'll mail them ask. See if they oblige. I wonder if the additional weight in Panasonic is because of thicker glass too. Wishful thinking?

I'll also search for damage reports. See how many people have reported damage to the front glass. Thanks, folks!
post #249 of 274 Old 07-09-2019, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey all,

Purchased a 65inch FZ950 at the end of last year and love it - with one annoyance...

When I turn the TV on, whatever input the TV was last set to seems to have HDCP issues and results in the “No signal” message coming up. Toggling between inputs resolves the issue. This only occurs when the TV first turns on, switching inputs after it is up and running is no problem.

e.g. I turn the TV on and it’s set to HDMI 1 for the Fibe STB, it will come up saying no picture. I toggle to HDMI 2, then back to HDMI 1 and the Fibe STB picture comes up no problem.

The issue is not unique to the Fibe STB HDMI/HDCP 1.x, it also occurs with my Nvidia ShieldTV.

I’ve tried… all the same result
different HDMI cables
different HDMI inputs on TV
connecting the STB directly to the TV
routing the STB through a sound bar

Any help would be much appreciated. It’s an inconvenience for me, but explaining to my wife / kids / in-laws they have to toggle input to get a picture to appear when they turn the TV on isn’t really working…

I called Panasonic support today and they mentioned trying to set the HDCP version for the input in the menu (auto, 1.4, 2.0), but I can't find anything in the menu.

Last edited by mbalders; 07-09-2019 at 05:01 PM.
post #250 of 274 Old 07-11-2019, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalders View Post
Hey all,

Purchased a 65inch FZ950 at the end of last year and love it - with one annoyance...

When I turn the TV on, whatever input the TV was last set to seems to have HDCP issues and results in the “No signal” message coming up. Toggling between inputs resolves the issue. This only occurs when the TV first turns on, switching inputs after it is up and running is no problem.

e.g. I turn the TV on and it’s set to HDMI 1 for the Fibe STB, it will come up saying no picture. I toggle to HDMI 2, then back to HDMI 1 and the Fibe STB picture comes up no problem.

The issue is not unique to the Fibe STB HDMI/HDCP 1.x, it also occurs with my Nvidia ShieldTV.

different HDMI cables

Any help would be much appreciated. It’s an inconvenience for me, but explaining to my wife / kids / in-laws they have to toggle input to get a picture to appear when they turn the TV on isn’t really working…

I called Panasonic support today and they mentioned trying to set the HDCP version for the input in the menu (auto, 1.4, 2.0), but I can't find anything in the menu.
Try changing the order in which you turn devices on.

For example, turn on the TV first and make sure it's fully fired up before starting the STB.
If not then try the opposite.....
post #251 of 274 Old 07-13-2019, 12:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbalders View Post
Hey all,

different HDMI cables

Try setup - HDMI auto setting- “ mode 1 “ should be the HDMI input you are connected to. I have no issues having it connected this way.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
post #252 of 274 Old 07-20-2019, 12:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
service menu

Hi all.

Does anyone know how to access the fz950's service menu to check for hours used ??

Cheerz,
Ash.
post #253 of 274 Old 07-20-2019, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the$#!Za. View Post
Hi all.

Does anyone know how to access the fz950's service menu to check for hours used ??

Cheerz,
Ash.
You don't have to.

Just go to Menu - Help - System Info

Line 4 has the number of hours used and I guess the number of times switched on.

Sent while surfing
post #254 of 274 Old 07-20-2019, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cricket-RJ View Post
You don't have to.

Line 4 has the number of hours used and I guess the number of times switched on.

Oh ok thanks Cricket-RJ! That's a nice surprise. I'm used to the hours used info being hidden away in service menus.
Cricket-RJ likes this.
post #255 of 274 Old 07-26-2019, 06:49 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Has anyone been able to get 1080p 120hz working on the FZ's?
post #256 of 274 Old 07-28-2019, 07:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6684 Post(s)
Liked: 6680
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
These still are not available 'south of the border'??
Nope, I think that may never happen, way to much competition in the US......
post #257 of 274 Old 07-30-2019, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Some folks over in the UK forums have reported receiving a new firmware update on their FZ oled models.
Wonder if well even get anything this side of the pond...?
post #258 of 274 Old 07-30-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo M View Post
Some folks over in the UK forums have reported receiving a new firmware update on their FZ oled models.
Apparently it 'Improves stability' according to the support pages at Panasonic.

Nothing available for us down here in Australia yet.....
post #259 of 274 Old 08-03-2019, 10:16 AM

Hey Guys,

I have a Ethernet cable directly hard wired to the Tv's ethernet port.
Have fiber internet 500mbps up/down.
Using the built in apps on the home screen.
On Amazon the stream seems to go from ULtra UHD and drop to 1080p on & off.
No issues on the feed quality dropping if im using external source - nvidia shield, apple tv..etc

Out of curiosity, I tried testing the internet speed by running speedtest.net on Panasonic app browser, and discovered I'm getting low download & upload speeds (30mbps down / 20mbps up).
If I try this on the Nvidia Shield, no problem, I get my advertised speeds of 500mbps from my ISP.

Wondering if there is a limitation on the Panasonic ethernet port/chip?

Thanks in advance
post #260 of 274 Old 08-06-2019, 02:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1429 Post(s)
Liked: 824
Quote:
Hey Guys,

I have a Ethernet cable directly hard wired to the Tv's ethernet port.
Have fiber internet 500mbps up/down.
Using the built in apps on the home screen.
On Amazon the stream seems to go from ULtra UHD and drop to 1080p on & off.
No issues on the feed quality dropping if im using external source - nvidia shield, apple tv..etc

Out of curiosity, I tried testing the internet speed by running speedtest.net on Panasonic app browser, and discovered I'm getting low download & upload speeds (30mbps down / 20mbps up).
If I try this on the Nvidia Shield, no problem, I get my advertised speeds of 500mbps from my ISP.

Wondering if there is a limitation on the Panasonic ethernet port/chip?

Thanks in advance
I believe all TVs on the market have 100Mbit ethernet ports, not gigabit, so you could never get 500Mbps on the TV. I would expect better than 30 though, but maybe the browser on the TV isn't very good either.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #261 of 274 Old 08-13-2019, 03:19 AM

Hey chaps

Is anyone else having issues with the built in Netflix app and audio?

NZ customer with an FZ950

Absolutely fine through the TV speaker but through ARC or Optical is intermittently stuttering. Happens every few seconds, indefinitely and occasionally will carry the stuttering over to the built in TV app as well.

A power cycle sorts it but have to leave the TV and soundbar off for a good 5 minutes. No such issue on my shield TV but seem to have less stutter issue using the built in app.

Any help would be massively appreciated.
post #262 of 274 Old 08-25-2019, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
You don't have to.

Hey on the Canadian FZ 950 there is no system info in Help. Any idea how I can see hours for my panel?

Samsung 65" KS8000
Marantz SR 7010 5.1 System
KEF q900, q600, q400 q150
Nvidia Shield
post #263 of 274 Old 08-26-2019, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by doylet8456 View Post
Quote:
You don't have to.

Hey on the Canadian FZ 950 there is no system info in Help. Any idea how I can see hours for my panel?
I found it.
Menu - Help - Version - Status 4 : CXXXXX-XXXXXXX-XXXXX
Cricket-RJ likes this.

Samsung 65" KS8000
Marantz SR 7010 5.1 System
KEF q900, q600, q400 q150
Nvidia Shield
post #264 of 274 Old 09-01-2019, 05:37 AM

Hi all, just got my FZ800 and I'm very pleased with it.

I've set the luminance to 40 because that seems to be plenty even in my bright room and I understand it helps avoid burn-in.

I'm wondering if it's possible to keep the speakers on so I can play the radio from my STB on the TV while having the display off?

Also, how do I see the number of hours used? Status 3 is rather cryptic: 00-000000-F000. That would be 61440 in decimal which makes no sense (installed the TV yesterday, used it maybe 5 hours since)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190901_171642362.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	972.4 KB
ID:	2609844  

Last edited by sympatheticast; 09-01-2019 at 11:00 AM.
post #265 of 274 Old 09-01-2019, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sympatheticast View Post
Hi all, just got my FZ800 and I'm very pleased with it.

I've set the luminance to 40 because that seems to be plenty even in my bright room and I understand it helps avoid burn-in.

I'm wondering if it's possible to keep the speakers on so I can play the radio from my STB on the TV while having the display off?

Also, how do I see the number of hours used? Status 3 is rather cryptic: 00-000000-F000. That would be 61440 in decimal which makes no sense (installed the TV yesterday, used it maybe 5 hours since)
Congrats, any of the Professional modes are very good as they are the most accurate. Of course you can use whatever mode suits your eyes best. I don’t think you can use the tv speakers to listen to radio if you turn your tv off. The only way you can do that is if you have a dedicated surround sound system or sound bar connected to an avr. That way you can listen to your stb radio stations through your sound system even if the tv is off.

On my STB my radio stations have a black screen so no worries there but I mainly listen to sat/internet radio or stream through my AVR.

As for hrs ,it seems you have the European version so I would look back a few pages for more info on that. Enjoy.

post #266 of 274 Old 09-02-2019, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
Congrats, any of the Professional modes are very good as they are the most accurate. Of course you can use whatever mode suits your eyes best. I don’t think you can use the tv speakers to listen to radio if you turn your tv off. The only way you can do that is if you have a dedicated surround sound system or sound bar connected to an avr. That way you can listen to your stb radio stations through your sound system even if the tv is off.

On my STB my radio stations have a black screen so no worries there but I mainly listen to sat/internet radio or stream through my AVR.

As for hrs ,it seems you have the European version so I would look back a few pages for more info on that. Enjoy.

I found a way: go to Menu > Picture > Screen settings > Screen Display. Off switches off the display but keeps the speakers on. To turn it back on press any key. It's a bit annoying to navigate through three menus to get there but at least the option exists which id rather nice.
post #267 of 274 Old 09-02-2019, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Is the THX or professional mode more accurate?

Sony 65 A9F, LG 65 E9
post #268 of 274 Old 09-02-2019, 04:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sympatheticast View Post

I found a way: go to Menu > Picture > Screen settings > Screen Display. Off switches off the display but keeps the speakers on. To turn it back on press any key. It's a bit annoying to navigate through three menus to get there but at least the option exists which id rather nice.
That’s great you found the solution, it may help others wanting to do the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_to_4K View Post
Is the THX or professional mode more accurate?
Yes Professional modes are the most accurate. THX is very nice as well.
New_to_4K likes this.

post #269 of 274 Old 09-12-2019, 04:18 PM

So a new firmware update is available Ver. 2.097 (for North America and Latin America)
Just installed it on my 55FZ950C...Wounder what improvements it brings?...other than Panasonic saying "Improve system stability".
post #270 of 274 Old 09-12-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Got my update a few days ago. Weird that first use after that it did a full pixel refresh (80 minutes one). Nothing different on menu, etc.

Sent while surfing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
panasonic oled

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page