2018 Panasonic FZ Series OLED Owner's Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 73Likes

post #1 of 248 Old 10-06-2018, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 117
2018 Panasonic FZ Series OLED Owner's Thread

Panasonic has started shipping their 2018 OLEDs in the Canadian market this week.

The model I bought is the 55FZ950C, which seems to be the equivalent to the FZ800 on the Euro market. (The FZ950 or FZ952 for the euro market has the soundbar stand, which mine does not)

box dimensions: 1615 x 815 x 230mm
stand is pedestal type, satin black 500x300mm footprint, full metal and quite heavy
4.8mm thick panel, including the electronics housing back panel it's 48mm thick
total height with stand: 770mm
clearance from table surface to bottom screen edge: 60mm
back panel is matte black plastic with textured finish
glossy black screen with anti-reflective coating - glass is not perfectly flat so there is some distortion to reflections. Very slight magenta tint to reflections, more noticeable with intense light reflections (if you have seen the first-gen OLEDs, it's no-where near as magenta).
bezel/rim 2.6mm semi-gloss black
LED power indicator is red, shines only while display is on
Silent aside from power-on click . Have not heard any "coil whine" or similar sound.
remote is pretty standard black, non-illuminated buttons.

Very good first impressions.
Design is clean and elegant - pure class.
Put it through the paces - test slides and so on. Found one dead pixel on green, but it is so hard to see it's barely worth mentioning.
5% screen uniformity image is attached - lower right corner has some darkening and 2 circles evenly spaced from there - curious. Have not noticed it in content, but I have not viewed much content yet.
Did watch this demo from Sony on it (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IuI8pUy43U), and it's truly breathtaking.

I should say that this is not my first foray into the world of OLED TV - I bought one of the first-gen LG OLEDs 4 years ago, but ended up returning it for a few reasons (poor near-black uniformity, crazy curved magenta mirror in a lit room, ended up being a defective panel)

Will do some further testing/impressions
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stand.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	2464662   Click image for larger version

Name:	setup_night.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	2464666   Click image for larger version

Name:	five_percent.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	2464668   Click image for larger version

Name:	setup_day.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	2464670   Click image for larger version

Name:	remote.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	317.7 KB
ID:	2464672  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 248 Old 10-07-2018, 05:11 PM

Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 150
Great looking set. It's absurd they don't sell these in the US when Canada gets them. Would be a good alternative to the Sonys.
ChaosCloud likes this.

Sony 55A9F
LG 55B6
post #3 of 248 Old 10-08-2018, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micolash View Post
Great looking set. It's absurd they don't sell these in the US when Canada gets them. Would be a good alternative to the Sonys.
Yeah, not sure I understand Panasonic's marketing strategy... Usually it's the other way around, where we in Canada miss out on the cool products.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 248 Old 10-08-2018, 10:17 AM - Thread Starter

OK, some further observations/impressions.

Picture quality is top notch. Well captured/mastered photos or film clips look like a window into the real world. The non-uniformity of my panel (darker corner area) is really only noticeable in the content's darkest scenes, and I very rarely notice unless I actively look for it.

ABL is inactive below 50 "Luminance" level (on LG sets it's called "OLED light")
I find Luminance at 30 more than bright enough for dark room viewing (that's the THX setting).

Black frame insertion introduces noticeable flicker on bright scenes - similar effect as when viewing a Plasma TV. Motion clarity is significantly improved by it for 60Hz/fps games.

Motion enhancement adds too much input lag to be useful for gaming. Did not notice significant improvement with it on anyways. The "Motion Picture Settings" is not accessible with game mode or "1080p pixel by 4pixels" options enabled.

Really wish the TV had a DisplayPort. Spent a few hours trying to get 120Hz at 1080p working, only to find out that my video card (GTX 570) can only do it directly through DP (no adapters will work).

The indicator LED turns amber while it's doing the compensation cycle, called "Panel Maintenance". By the way, that LED flickers at a high frequency, at least in dark room, - scanning your eye across it quickly shows several dots rather than a smooth trail.

The inputs cover panel is kind of difficult to remove. It's a large flexible plastic piece with little tabs which feel that they could break off with too much force, and it takes some force to get the panel off. I would just keep it off since I won't see the inputs anyway, but something to keep in mind if you will have the back of the TV in view and want the cover on.

The menu scrolling lacks smoothness, as if the frame rate is low, ~30fps, (this is with out-of-box firmware, I have not updated it). Otherwise menu is pretty well organized. Can reach it directly with one button press, without dealing with any Apps menu. The menu scrolls continuously through all categories i.e. from the video tab to the audio tab. I would much prefer that once you reach the bottom of the video tab it loops back the top of video, rather than continue into the next category (this is how it works on my Panasonic camera).

Would be nice if the remote were backlit, but not hugely important.
It's a bit too easy to hit the Netflix/home/apps buttons instead of directional arrows due to proximity.

If you've never had eyestrain issues with LCD/LED monitors (typically due to PWM flicker) you can ignore the following. However, if you need to use "flicker-free" monitors for this reason, read on...
The TV seems to be driven with some kind of fast flicker. It seems to flicker at all times regardless of luminance and other settings. It's definitely unrelated to Black Frame Insertion which is a much more obvious flicker.
Attached is a photo series showing the TV side by side with my old LCD on the left.
The dark line indicating some kind of flicker can be captured with a very high shutter speed (1/6400th) - I would need a good slow motion camera to understand what's really going on. Curving of the line is likely an artifact of the camera called "rolling shutter effect". (First photo on the top left shows how the old LCD flickers when the backlight is not at 100%.)
It's also possible to detect the flicker while looking through an electronic viewfinder, or looking through a fast spinning fan.
Tried many different menu settings on the Panasonic and was unable to get rid of the flicker - even tried store mode to see if that changes it, but it does not.
For me this induces eyestrain and headache after maybe 15 min of dark room viewing. Also, my eyes can't focus well in flickering lighting, so things on-screen appear blurred,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	oled_flicker.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	1.90 MB
ID:	2465614  
puccainbkk likes this.
post #5 of 248 Old 10-08-2018, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micolash View Post
Panasonic's TV business is finished in america, they won't setup again. The only displays they sell in u.s. is in the professional market to some hollywood studios. The panasonic EZ1000 is used as a reference display for colors in some movie studios because it's one of the most color accurate display out there. i own the step down ez950 that is mostly same with PQ minus the absolute black filter and support for 3d lut's for calibration. but then you could ignore calibration on the panasonics, they have the best OOTB color accuracy of all oleds (set them to real cinema or professional1/professional2 and forget it, thats what i do with my ez950). So for people who can't afford (or find) professional calibrator, the panasonic oleds are a great choice. their disadvantage is the absence of dolby vision and some noticeable micro stutter in low fps content.

@chaos cloud , great choice you made, i heard the 2018 fz models are a little brighter and the micro stutter issue has been reduced (not completely eliminated), still no DV. i am an ez950 owner, i'd like to hear more of your impressions on the fz. panasonic's model naming is strange , the fz950 is the higher model at my place with the technics soundbar and metal remote. what you got would be the equivalent of fz800. however both the 2018 fz models are same with PQ.
puccainbkk and ChaosCloud like this.
post #6 of 248 Old 10-08-2018, 10:25 AM

I dont have flicker on my ez950 outside of BFI mode, BFI only works at 60hz on oled so there is bound to be flicker. outside of bfi mode if you see it, it could be your source or try resetting that picture setting to defaults. also see if disabling IFC (intelligent frame creation) works, IFC is known to be a bit problematic on pan. oleds at times.
post #7 of 248 Old 10-08-2018, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1479 Post(s)
Liked: 1446
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosCloud View Post

Panasonic has started shipping their 2018 OLEDs in the Canadian market this week.

The model I bought is the 55FZ950C, which seems to be the equivalent to the FZ800 on the Euro market. (The FZ950 or FZ952 for the euro market has the soundbar stand, which mine does not)
Congrats ChaosCloud! New owner here as well, I got mine last week 65", but haven't had time to install it yet, we just got back from a Vegas trip. I will be installing it by this weekend as I also had to pickup a new wall mount. Can't wait to see this Oled , It's replacing my 2015 LG Oled.

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	2465672

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
post #8 of 248 Old 10-08-2018, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLaud25 View Post
I dont have flicker on my ez950 outside of BFI mode, BFI only works at 60hz on oled so there is bound to be flicker. outside of bfi mode if you see it, it could be your source or try resetting that picture setting to defaults. also see if disabling IFC (intelligent frame creation) works, IFC is known to be a bit problematic on pan. oleds at times.
Interesting... Have you checked with your phone or camera to see if it detects flicker? I did reset the TV to factory, even with no source, during initial setup, the flicker is present. It will look something like attached GIF on your phone/camera if present - may need to switch to a short exposure and high ISO before it shows up.

I probably would have bought the EZ950 last year if it had the absolute black filter, but magenta reflections in a lit room are bothersome for me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	oled_flicker_animated.gif
Views:	272
Size:	3.86 MB
ID:	2465698  

Last edited by ChaosCloud; 10-08-2018 at 01:00 PM.
post #9 of 248 Old 10-09-2018, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Also, I spent the last 3 evenings trying to get 120Hz at 1080p working, with no luck. Even bought a new video card. Activating any PC resolution in NV control panel simply causes no signal - can't even get to trying custom resolutions.
post #10 of 248 Old 10-10-2018, 01:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 3
@ChaosCloud :

Some users says there's microstutter when watching UHD blu-rays even with IFC turned off. Can you test for this?

cheers.
post #11 of 248 Old 10-10-2018, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasen View Post
@ChaosCloud :

Some users says there's microstutter when watching UHD blu-rays even with IFC turned off. Can you test for this?

cheers.
I would like to check on this, but my only available source is PC - I don't think I will be able to replicate the issue with it.
post #12 of 248 Old 10-12-2018, 01:51 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fasen View Post
@ChaosCloud :

cheers.

I think that occasional micro-stutter is a known problem in Panasonic Oleds, specially on panning scenes. I think Vincent Teoh talks about that on the review
post #13 of 248 Old 10-13-2018, 09:34 AM

This micro stutter problem on movie content , like flickering in BFI mode, depends on user tolerance levels. Have a couple o' friends who own panasonic oled (ez950), they say they never notice the issue, i do. It was annoying to me at the first on the ez950, whenever the camera moves slowly over the screen, it's like picture starts jerking a little, but over time my eyes have adjusted to it (though it's present). According to reports, the 2018 fz models have minimized the micro stutter issue compared to last year but it's not completely gone. So you may or may not notice it on fz950, depending on your tolerance level. And on my tv i found that engaging IFC didnt help the matter, in some scenes IFC does something weird and overall makes the motion appear worse than with IFC turned off. So i prefer IFC off with blu ray content. The motion on the whole is fine on panasonic oleds (apart from the micro stutter issue which you may/may not notice), but keep your expectation under check for motion performance, just because it has panasonic written on it, dont expect it to take you back to the good days of pdp and tube. it's still a panasonic processing based lg oled tv.

Last edited by JLaud25; 10-13-2018 at 10:00 AM.
post #14 of 248 Old 10-13-2018, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I had to do it, I went and bought the new Panasonic UB820 4K player today. They only had 2 left in stock, I got one of them. I had to get it to go with my new Panasonic Oled. Will wall mount and install this weekend.

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	2468114

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
post #15 of 248 Old 10-13-2018, 03:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 2852 Post(s)
Liked: 3400
^congrats...almost time to start rewatching everything!!!
Latinoheat likes this.
post #16 of 248 Old 10-14-2018, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosCloud View Post
Also, I spent the last 3 evenings trying to get 120Hz at 1080p working, with no luck. Even bought a new video card. Activating any PC resolution in NV control panel simply causes no signal - can't even get to trying custom resolutions.
Got some new cables and adapters. From what I've read, the signal coming from the HDMI port on the video card, even though it's a 2.0 port, gets interpreted as single link DVI by most TVs, which does not have the bandwidth for FHD @ 120Hz, or UHD @ 60Hz
Supposedly, an active adapter Displayport to HDMI can pass the desired signal. Bought the one at link below.
https://www.amazon.ca/Plugable-DisplayPort-Supports-displays-3840x2160/dp/B00S0C7QO8
Still no luck. Was able to get the TV to accept a custom resolution through NV control panel 1920 x 1080 @ 120Hz but it's still only displaying 60Hz. Can get 3840 x 2160, but only 4:2:2, 30Hz.
Unfortunately, I don't have a known 120Hz display to verify if the adapter is actually working, but of all the adapters on Amazon claiming to do 2160p @ 60Hz, this one has the best feedback.
post #17 of 248 Old 10-14-2018, 11:23 AM

panasonic doesn't support 1080p at 120hz, that's the way it is on my 2017 set, so that might not have changed on the 2018 models. and it's intentional on their part for whatever reason, technically there would be no reason the tv coiuldn't process it nor is 1080p120 passthrough an issue for hdmi 2.0.
ChaosCloud likes this.
post #18 of 248 Old 10-14-2018, 07:54 PM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Just curious if other owners see a bunch of flickering in dark areas. Almost like a pulse flicker every .5 sec. Also curious if you mirror your phone pictures to the tv if it flickers too.
post #19 of 248 Old 10-15-2018, 10:17 AM

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Can anyone comment on the flicker in the dark colors? I am thinking it is more so my source then the tv, as I am on Shaw Direct satellite.

However, when mirroring my phone, I cant explain the flicker when I look at my phone pictures. Can someone mirror there phone to the tv and see if it does the same? I have the S8.
post #20 of 248 Old 10-15-2018, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_42 View Post
Can anyone comment on the flicker in the dark colors? I am thinking it is more so my source then the tv, as I am on Shaw Direct satellite.

However, when mirroring my phone, I cant explain the flicker when I look at my phone pictures. Can someone mirror there phone to the tv and see if it does the same? I have the S8.
Do you see flicker in the menu/app graphics without a source connected?
MerrlinT likes this.
post #21 of 248 Old 10-15-2018, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Got my set wall mounted on the weekend, this set is beautiful and WOW the picture quality is top notch, definitely an upgrade over my 2015 LG Oled. All I have tested so far is HD cable and YouTube HDR 4K. Those YouTube videos are drop dead gorgeous on this set, colors are phenomenal. This TV can get very bright too, I'm surprised at the tv speakers are pretty descent as well.

No issues whatsoever, near black performance is awesome, It also reminds me for some reason of my panny plasma but in an Oled panel with oled attributes.

I will test my new 4K player this weekend and see how it performs also. I am very pleased with my purchase.
losservatore likes this.

post #22 of 248 Old 10-16-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
Got my set wall mounted on the weekend, this set is beautiful and WOW the picture quality is top notch, definitely an upgrade over my 2015 LG Oled. All I have tested so far is HD cable and YouTube HDR 4K. Those YouTube videos are drop dead gorgeous on this set, colors are phenomenal. This TV can get very bright too, I'm surprised at the tv speakers are pretty descent as well.

No issues whatsoever, near black performance is awesome, It also reminds me for some reason of my panny plasma but in an Oled panel with oled attributes.

I will test my new 4K player this weekend and see how it performs also. I am very pleased with my purchase.
What preset are you initially using? real cinema or professional 1/2? they are supposed to be most color accurate.
post #23 of 248 Old 10-16-2018, 05:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

What preset are you initially using? real cinema or professional 1/2? they are supposed to be most color accurate.
For daytime I am using Pro 1 or custom and for nighttime I'm using Pro 2. Yes they are very accurate out of the box, very minor tweaking needed.

post #24 of 248 Old 10-19-2018, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Great comparison between Panasonic FZ and Sony af9 OLEDS. Another great video from Vincent.

post #25 of 248 Old 10-20-2018, 03:31 AM

^He rates the panasonic better with color accuracy, with motion, upscaling and gradient handling he prefers the a9f. tAnd says they are both great tv's.
I personally agree with his opinion, panasonic's biggest strength is OOTB color accuracy, and color accuracy in general. I believe panasonic is the oled where you could get away without a professional calibration if you just set it to real cinema or one of the professional modes because the colors look just "right", more natural. On the sony and lg oleds, i think there is some oversaturation OOTB , esp. in the blues and reds, and a calibration would be needed to fix it. With motion , upscaling and gradient handling, i think a9f has a bit of an edge. I would rate panasonic on motion, upscaling and gradient handling between the sony and lg... sony-panasonic-lg, in that order.
MerrlinT likes this.
post #26 of 248 Old 10-20-2018, 05:44 AM

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 354
So would I have an issue, driving to Canada, driving back with one? Customs, or any other issues?

Sony A1E OLED 4K Ultra H

FS Gen2 Nvidia shield TV 2017 version
post #27 of 248 Old 10-20-2018, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

^He rates the panasonic better with color accuracy, with motion, upscaling and gradient handling he prefers the a9f. tAnd says they are both great tv's.
I personally agree with his opinion, panasonic's biggest strength is OOTB color accuracy, and color accuracy in general. I believe panasonic is the oled where you could get away without a professional calibration if you just set it to real cinema or one of the professional modes because the colors look just "right", more natural. On the sony and lg oleds, i think there is some oversaturation OOTB , esp. in the blues and reds, and a calibration would be needed to fix it. With motion , upscaling and gradient handling, i think a9f has a bit of an edge. I would rate panasonic on motion, upscaling and gradient handling between the sony and lg... sony-panasonic-lg, in that order.
I watched my first 4K UHD movie last night, "Transformers (The Last Knight) and WOW the picture quality is just simply Stunning, it gave such a clear picture and HDR was spectacular. Motion has been very good to my eyes also, better than my LG Oled. I don't watch anything lower than 720p , so I can't comment on SD upscaling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF9500 View Post

So would I have an issue, driving to Canada, driving back with one? Customs, or any other issues?
I don't think it would be any different from us going across the border and buying a tv in the U.S., other than declaring and maybe pay duties. I would look into it before purchasing.
MerrlinT likes this.

post #28 of 248 Old 10-20-2018, 03:47 PM

the transformers blu rays look very good with the imax scenes, however the movies themselves have subdued color palettes, for the real wow factor on panasonic oled, watch content with a diverse color palette which helps to show the natural looking colors on panasonic, such as this demo by lg

watch that on your panasonic fz, on my ez it has a real wow feel with the colors.
post #29 of 248 Old 10-20-2018, 04:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

^^^ oh I saw that one , the clarity on the horse is outstanding , blacks, brightness , contrast and colors are off the charts on this video demo. I also watched Netflix content (Winchester) to get in the Halloween mood and the near black performance was very good in this movie.

post #30 of 248 Old 10-20-2018, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
^^^ oh I saw that one , the clarity on the horse is outstanding , blacks, brightness , contrast and colors are off the charts on this video demo. I also watched Netflix content (Winchester) to get in the Halloween mood and the near black performance was very good in this movie.
Local dealer was showing this on their Panasonics, it is truly stunning on the OLED.
Latinoheat likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Tags
panasonic oled

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page