LG OLED77C8 Power Supply Buzz/Hiss - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 51Likes

post #1 of 233 Old 10-30-2018, 06:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 113
LG OLED77C8 Power Supply Buzz/Hiss

I thought, as did a few of the members, that we should have a dedicated thread for this power supply noise issue. Please post your country, the issue etc. I was also wondering about raising it with Vincent Teoh (Twitter Vincent_Teoh) as he apparently has contacts at LG? What do you guys think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by StumpyBloke; 10-30-2018 at 07:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 233 Old 10-30-2018, 06:26 AM - Thread Starter

I am in the UK. I have had two different TVs and a power supply swap-out all with the same buzzing and all at the same levels.

Edit: to add, LG couldn’t fix my first set it so I was given an uplift code for a refund/replacement. I still have this one as the uniformity is so good and I really don’t want to go through a panel lottery. Mine buzzes continually in darker scenes regardless of how long the TV has been on.

Last edited by StumpyBloke; 10-30-2018 at 07:13 AM.
post #3 of 233 Old 10-30-2018, 06:28 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Received my set yesterday in the US and have the hiss. Interestingly Vincent calls out the noise in his video review I believe, so he is aware of it.

Edit for more detailed description of the hiss:

During bright images the TV's power supply is silent (or at least perceived as such so far), but during lower light scenes a variable frequency hiss/buzz can be heard. Not all dark scenes trigger the noise, but there seems to be a threshold where I'm guessing switching occurs somewhere in the power supply circuit that is responsible for the noise.

Last edited by datap1mp; 10-30-2018 at 07:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 233 Old 10-30-2018, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpyBloke View Post
I am in the UK. I have had two different TVs and a power supply swap-out all with the same buzzing and all at the same levels.

Is your set wall-mounted or on the stand?
post #5 of 233 Old 10-30-2018, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 356
There are many owners of the 77C8 that are have the Power supply Hum, Hissing, Buzzing and high pitched sounds from the Unit. This is not a isolated case it is wide spread in all countries.

Nothing's Impossible if you don't have to do it yourself ! Glenee
post #6 of 233 Old 10-30-2018, 06:58 AM

I'm curious if anyone who has had a set that buzzed was able to get it fixed by LG.

It seems the few I've seen posting about it still have a buzz even after LG has attempted to fix it.
post #7 of 233 Old 10-30-2018, 07:04 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by datap1mp View Post
Is your set wall-mounted or on the stand?

Stand

post #8 of 233 Old 10-30-2018, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1255 Post(s)
Liked: 1271
@StumpyBloke @datap1mp @Adamd @bjieyoub @lifeis11 @dfpp @bryantc

I searched https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...rice-talk.html to find owners of the LG 77C8 who have the power supply hissing issue. I also tried to find an email address for Vincent Teoh but so far, I can only find his twitter handle "@Vincent_Teoh" without the quote marks. I suggest you tweet Vincent and apprise him of your hissing issue. AIUI, he has contacts at LG and hopefully he can help escalate this issue within LG.

I do not currently own an 77C8 but I plan to purchase one around Black Friday. So I have no skin in the game... yet.
StumpyBloke and Adamd like this.

Denon AVR-X6200W, Outlaw Audio 7125 Amp, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-103, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Tivo Roamio Pro, Pioneer Elite Andrew Jones Dolby Atmos Enabled EFS-73 Fronts/EBS-73 Surrounds, Chane A2.4 Center, SVS SB-2000 Sub, Panasonic Plasma TH-58PX600
avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet
I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me. RIP Phil Hartman
post #9 of 233 Old 10-30-2018, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 649
Here is my story with the 77c8 hissing. I went through three tv only one was silent but it had the 25% pattern burned in. I wish I kept the tv and just had the screen replaced. Now the one I have now screen is great but it did buzz. Lg had a tech replace the psu and it’s not as bad as it was before but it’s still does it. When tv is cold it’s almost silent but after it warms up the buzz starts again. I called lg again the the shop called me and asked me to send in a video. I did this and have not heard a word from anyone in 6 weeks.
post #10 of 233 Old 10-30-2018, 07:12 AM - Thread Starter

I have just tweeted Vincent with a link to here. Hopefully he will see it.

kokishin and Adamd like this.
post #11 of 233 Old 10-30-2018, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
@StumpyBloke @datap1mp @Adamd @bjieyoub @lifeis11 @dfpp @bryantc

I searched https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...rice-talk.html to find owners of the LG 77C8 who have the power supply hissing issue. I also tried to find an email address for Vincent Teoh but so far, I can only find his twitter handle "@Vincent_Teoh" without the quote marks. I suggest you tweet Vincent and apprise him of your hissing issue. AIUI, he has contacts at LG and hopefully he can help escalate this issue within LG.

I do not currently own an 77C8 but I plan to purchase one around Black Friday. So I have no skin in the game... yet.
I do don't use Twitter or I would. As stated previously his video review does mention the power supply noise but it is not expanded upon besides the mention.
post #12 of 233 Old 10-30-2018, 07:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 298
I purchased a 77" C8 about 3 months ago....it buzzes during slightly or complete darkness on the screen. It is irritating, but I never notice it on actual content.....only on menus and other static images.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
post #13 of 233 Old 10-30-2018, 07:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Thanks for starting this thread. I was going to contact the mods about putting mine back up but this saves me the hassle. Now let’s hope they don’t shut this one down too.
StumpyBloke likes this.
post #14 of 233 Old 10-30-2018, 07:23 AM

I've heard it stated that the Sony 77" doesn't seem to have the buzz. How about the higher end LG 77s? Anyone see it discussed?
post #15 of 233 Old 10-30-2018, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I've heard it stated that the Sony 77" doesn't seem to have the buzz. How about the higher end LG 77s? Anyone see it discussed?

There are no reports of the W8 buzzing in the 77 inch size that I’ve seen. The power supply in the 77 inch C8 is custom for that model so wouldn’t appear in anything else anyway as far as I know.

post #16 of 233 Old 10-30-2018, 08:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1817 Post(s)
Liked: 1261
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbass2k View Post
I purchased a 77" C8 about 3 months ago....it buzzes during slightly or complete darkness on the screen. It is irritating, but I never notice it on actual content.....only on menus and other static images.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Wonder if it's related to their black crush issue. Seems counter intuitive, but maybe when the TV tries to show just above black, it actually puts more stress on the PSU.
post #17 of 233 Old 10-30-2018, 08:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn View Post
Wonder if it's related to their black crush issue. Seems counter intuitive, but maybe when the TV tries to show just above black, it actually puts more stress on the PSU.

No, not in my opinion. The range in which this noise occurs is too great.

post #18 of 233 Old 10-30-2018, 08:35 AM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 343
I am an owner of a 77C8, 66 years old with worsening all the time tinitus, but according to my 20 something yo sons, the set is dead silent all the time. Having said that, I was wondering if anyone with the PSU problem has looked to see if there is anything between it and where it is attached. When I used to build my own PCs I had a very similar buzzing PSU problem in that the PSU would not sit entirely flush to the PC case without slightly twisting the PSU box. I solved the problem by getting a thin sheet of silicone that I fashioned into a gasket that fit the PSU and its screw holes. Easy peasy and no more buzzing. I believe that twisting is what caused the PSU to buzz. You may be able to find some silicone washers for the right screw size at the local hardware shop and try them also. Just a suggestion for you DIYers with the problem.
Adamd likes this.

Russ (another one)
LG65 & 77C8PUA / Bose Soundbar 700 / OPPO UDP205 / Verizon FIOS TV One

"There are consequences to breaking the heart of a murdering b*****d." - BILL
C8/E8 Questions? Try JCC's_FAQ Or LiQiCE's_Wiki

Last edited by RBO; 10-30-2018 at 08:42 AM.
post #19 of 233 Old 10-30-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBO View Post
I am an owner of a 77C8, 66 years old with worsening all the time tinitus, but according to my 20 something yo sons, the set is dead silent all the time. Having said that, I was wondering if anyone with the PSU problem has looked to see if there is anything between it and where it is attached. When I used to build my own PCs I had a very similar buzzing PSU problem in that the PSU would not sit entirely flush to the PC case without slightly twisting the PSU box. I solved the problem by getting a thin sheet of silicone that I fashioned into a gasket that fit the PSU and its screw holes. Easy peasy and no more buzzing. I believe that twisting is what caused the PSU to buzz. You may be able to find some silicone washers for the right screw size at the local hardware shop and try them also. Just a suggestion for you DIYers with the problem.
If someone is ambitious enough it seems feasible to at least track down more precisely which area or even the specific component that is generating the noise and go from there.

It would be a little disappointing if LG is so inept that they would allow their techs to swap out PSUs if the fix is as easy as your theorizing.
post #20 of 233 Old 10-30-2018, 09:32 AM
RBO
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 343
Quote:
It would be a little disappointing if LG is so inept that they would allow their techs to swap out PSUs if the fix is as easy as your theorizing.

Agreed, but I'm a big fan of always following the KISS rule.

Russ (another one)
LG65 & 77C8PUA / Bose Soundbar 700 / OPPO UDP205 / Verizon FIOS TV One

"There are consequences to breaking the heart of a murdering b*****d." - BILL
C8/E8 Questions? Try JCC's_FAQ Or LiQiCE's_Wiki
post #21 of 233 Old 10-30-2018, 11:16 AM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 54
77 inch owner here with a buzzing power supply. Silent mostly, but dim scenes and hard cuts to black, you hear the buzzzzzzzzz.
post #22 of 233 Old 10-30-2018, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjieyoub View Post
77 inch owner here with a buzzing power supply. Silent mostly, but dim scenes and hard cuts to black, you hear the buzzzzzzzzz.

Location? When did you get it?

post #23 of 233 Old 10-30-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Location? When did you get it?

Brand new, about a week and a half old. Purchased in the Bay Area from Magnolia Home Entertainment.
post #24 of 233 Old 10-30-2018, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Brand new, about a week and a half old. Purchased in the Bay Area from Magnolia Home Entertainment.

Thanks. But sorry I meant which country. My mistake. Am assuming USA?

post #25 of 233 Old 10-30-2018, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Might be worth us all mentioning on here if you’ve raised the noise with LG as well. I have.

post #26 of 233 Old 10-30-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Thanks. But sorry I meant which country. My mistake. Am assuming USA?

Correct - USA. Haven't raised the issue with LG yet.
StumpyBloke likes this.
post #27 of 233 Old 10-30-2018, 12:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I live in the Bay Area and plan to purchase from Magnolia at the Best Buy at Santana Row.

Have you discussed the issue with Magnolia and if so, do they plan to swap your C8 (presuming you want them too).

Denon AVR-X6200W, Outlaw Audio 7125 Amp, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-103, Amazon Fire TV Stick, Tivo Roamio Pro, Pioneer Elite Andrew Jones Dolby Atmos Enabled EFS-73 Fronts/EBS-73 Surrounds, Chane A2.4 Center, SVS SB-2000 Sub, Panasonic Plasma TH-58PX600
I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me. RIP Phil Hartman
post #28 of 233 Old 10-30-2018, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
I live in the Bay Area and plan to purchase from Magnolia at the Best Buy at Santana Row.

Have you discussed the issue with Magnolia and if so, do they plan to swap your C8 (presuming you want them too).
No, because I think this is an inherent design flaw with the 77's power supply. So my only choices are to give up on the large screen and go to a 65 or wait for LG to come up with a fix. I don't want to go through the trouble of swapping a bunch of giant TVs when the issue is so common. Anybody who says they can't hear a buzz, I think they aren't looking at content that would create the sound some of us are hearing (dim content/low contrast content, etc.) or they just haven't noticed yet. I don't think there are magical, silent C8 77s out there. Maybe some are louder than others, sure. But this issue is documented well on these forums and even in industry reviews. Sucks! This TV is so close to perfect!
post #29 of 233 Old 10-30-2018, 12:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No, because I think this is an inherent design flaw with the 77's power supply. So my only choices are to give up on the large screen and go to a 65 or wait for LG to come up with a fix. I don't want to go through the trouble of swapping a bunch of giant TVs when the issue is so common. Anybody who says they can't hear a buzz, I think they aren't looking at content that would create the sound some of us are hearing (dim content/low contrast content, etc.) or they just haven't noticed yet. I don't think there are magical, silent C8 77s out there. Maybe some are louder than others, sure. But this issue is documented well on these forums and even in industry reviews. Sucks! This TV is so close to perfect!
I understand and agree about the PSU design flaw. There are some folks on avsforum who have stated that they have no hissing issue with their 77C8. HST, there are some that have swapped and gotten another hisser. Another "lottery" to deal with.

Hope LG gets this resolved quickly!

post #30 of 233 Old 10-30-2018, 12:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I went through 3 TVs and one was silent. I had the tv for 6 weeks and not a sound and I stress tested and zero hissing. So it is possible to get one but exchanging 77 sucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page