Help choosing new UHD tv - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 11-07-2018, 06:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Help choosing new UHD tv

Hi I'd like to have your advice before I purchase my new tv and sound equipment.

Situation:

I currently own a Panasonic plasma ST60 50 inch tv. I also have a decent home theater setup (Marantz sr5008 receiver plus 2x Klipsch de rf800b front speakers along with a Polk CSI A6 center channel speaker with 2x Klipsch rs400 surround speakers and 2x Klispch sw110 subwoofers and a pretty good power bar.

I've been interested by 4k ans UHD ever since it came out but never went for it considering there wasn't all that much 4k content to watch. It's now November 2018 right before black friday sales and 4k content seems to finally be making its way into movie rentals, streaming services etc...

So I'm thinking this could be the right time to upgrade from my glorious plasma tv to a 4k OLED tv or something of the like as well as upgrading from my 5.2 surround sound setup to an atmos setup possibly 7.1.4 of 7.1.2 (my room is about 14.5 feet by 17 feet if I remember correctly)

I recently moved in and the room has quite a bit of echo going on. So I'm thinking to buy some sound management material such as foam squares to cut off some the sound bouncing going on...

So here's what you guys need to know in order to help me pick the right tv and speakers:

TV:

- I REALLY enjoyed the Panasonic st60 for its deep and balanced blacks and realistic colors. That tv REALLY makes me feel like I'm at a theatre...
- I enjoy 3d movies every now and then
- my budget for the tv is between 1000$-3000$ (CAD)
- I sit about 9-10 feet from my tv so I'm thinking max 50-55 inches for my tv size
- I mostly watch movies and tv shows and do some gaming on my home theater especially when playing solo games like assassins Creed. I watch my movies in my dark room with LED lights behind my tv and speakers to spare my eyes 😉👍

Audio:

- I enjoyed my speakers but somehow I feel like the Marantz sr5008 receiver I'm using is not so great... It was rather expensive and I don't feel like I've been getting my moneys worth with it. Is it possible I could have picked or should pick another brand to match my Klipsch speakers?
- I'm using rs400 for my surround speakers atm in my 5.2 setup (they look like dipole speakers but they aren't... They aren't bipole either... Or so says Klipsch anyhow)
- for atmos, must I absolutely have speakers on the ceiling? And if so, how can I proceed considering this is an appartment and not my house?

There you go, that should give you guys an idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 11-07-2018, 06:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1488 Post(s)
Liked: 1487
HI Jonathan, I have a ST60 as well, great tv. Coming from plasma , Oled is the right upgrade for most. In your budget, you are looking at 55" LG C8, Sony A1e and Panasonic FZ950 Oleds. Keep in mind in the world of 4K, you must upgrade your bluray player, hdmi cable, AvR and your streaming service to 4K to get the most out of your picture and sound.

For Dolby atmos surround sound, ceiling speakers will give you the best sound but it can be done with Dolby atmos speakers sitting on your stand alone speakers or hanging them high on the wall. I own Klipsch speakers and I'm very impressed with the sound.

Forgot to mention all new TV's don't have 3D any longer so if that is very important to you it's something to take into consideration. I believe the LG C6 were the last Oleds with 3D.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii

Last edited by Latinoheat; 11-07-2018 at 07:07 PM.
post #3 of 22 Old 11-07-2018, 09:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2438 Post(s)
Liked: 1739
A few things:

The minimum horizontal viewing angle specified by THX for a home theater is 26°. With a 55" TV, that would occur at a maximum distance of 8 feet 8 inches (2.64 m). I don't sit that close to my 55" OLED, I admit.

I think that you could find a 65" LG B7 (2017 model) for less than $3k CDN, but you'd have to consider your total budget.

Your SR5008 seems to be too old to handle the current 3D audio formats (Audio, DTS:X). It also can't pass through 4k video. There are work-arounds, if you can live with their limitations.

If you want to do 7.1.4 or 7.1.2 Atmos, you'd need an AVR that can do 11 channels or 9, respectively. For 11 channels, I'd suggest a Denon AVR-X4400H plus an external 2 channel amplifier. (The 4400 processes 11 channels, but has 9 onboard amps. 50W/channel stereo amps are not expensive.)

Some Atmos information: https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/do...tup/index.html

The "Dolby Enabled" (ceiling bounce) setups are supposed to be least desirable among the available options, but if you can't mount speakers on (or in) the walls or ceiling...

And, as pointed out in post 2, 2017 and later OLEDs don't support 3D. There are UHD TVs that support 3D, but, as far as I know, none of them are OLEDs. Example: Sony Z9D. (Also, I believe that there is no 3D source material that is also UHD. Can't get the required frame rate at that resolution.) Whether you'd be happy with an LCD TV after owning a plasma, I can't say. (Good LCDs are supposed to be very good, indeed. Their worst limitation is a limited viewing angle. Inferior LCDs also may not have good blacks.)

If you really want to go to 4k/UHD, you may have to upgrade a lot of your electronics. I hope that you have the budget for it.

Last edited by bobknavs; 11-07-2018 at 09:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 11-08-2018, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for you input guys. Indeed I am aware of the 4k requirements. I already purchase new Hdmi cables I forget which generation exactly but it was 2.0 or something higher. High quality

I'm also aware I'll have to change my receive but that's not such a big deal... I should be able to get a good one for 400-1000$ CAD. I already have all the cables in place. As for 4k streaming content I have an UHD streaming subscription to Netflix so I should be good. I will upgrade my BluRay player to 4k as well, that too is not too expensive...

On the subject of the BluRay: why are some blu ray playsers so crazy expensive (like 800-2000$)?
Do they cook for you? Haha

As for 3d content. I do enjoy 3d... I know people say it's a gimmick but I've always enjoyed movies in 3d as well as gaming. Playing assassins Creed origins at the moment on my beautiful st60 Panasonic in 3d and I love it.

But yeah, I think OLED would be great compared to lcd 👍

About 4k:
Any chance some of you have come from the st60 to a 4k tv? Did you notice a difference?

Cause I feel like a lot of the "supposedly 4k content" isn't really 4k. Kind of like dynamic resolution on the xbox one... It's not a constant 4k but more a fluctuation between 1080p and 1440p...

I guess my question is do you guys notice a difference when upgrading to 4k?

Other than that is lg that good when it comes to 4k tv's? I remember back when I sold tv's for bestbuy lg was amongst the worst when It came to repairs and such... They seemed to always break lol
post #5 of 22 Old 11-08-2018, 05:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Martin View Post
Thanks for you input guys. Indeed I am aware of the 4k requirements. I already purchase new Hdmi cables I forget which generation exactly but it was 2.0 or something higher. High quality

I'm also aware I'll have to change my receive but that's not such a big deal... I should be able to get a good one for 400-1000$ CAD. I already have all the cables in place. As for 4k streaming content I have an UHD streaming subscription to Netflix so I should be good. I will upgrade my BluRay player to 4k as well, that too is not too expensive...

On the subject of the BluRay: why are some blu ray playsers so crazy expensive (like 800-2000$)?

As for 3d content. I do enjoy 3d... I know people say it's a gimmick but I've always enjoyed movies in 3d as well as gaming. Playing assassins Creed origins at the moment on my beautiful st60 Panasonic in 3d and I love it.

About 4k:
Any chance some of you have come from the st60 to a 4k tv? Did you notice a difference?

Cause I feel like a lot of the "supposedly 4k content" isn't really 4k. Kind of like dynamic resolution on the xbox one... It's not a constant 4k but more a fluctuation between 1080p and 1440p...

Other than that is lg that good when it comes to 4k tv's? I remember back when I sold tv's for bestbuy lg was amongst the worst when It came to repairs and such... They seemed to always break lol
Like I said I have a ST60 too, the area where you will notice the biggest difference is in playing UHD HDR content. Contrast, brightness and blacks are superior as well as you may know. Cable /sat is good depending on your subscriber some are better than others. Games such as Assasin's creed look fabulous. ( one of my favourite's as well). If you feed it a good source, you will have a stellar picture.

Motion I would say is a tad better on the plasma although you can get it dialled in pretty good depending on settings. For 4K content such as sports , I see no difference, it's amazing. LG is the leader in manufacturing Oled panels as they supply all the Oled panels to Sony and Panasonic. Therefore if you are talking about Oled , yes LG is a leader in innovation and is a high end brand. Their LCD's are mediocre, not bad for your average customer. As for failing, any manufacturer has its own failures. It can happen to any brand.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
post #6 of 22 Old 11-08-2018, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Help choosing new UHD tv

Re: audio

I have a 7.1 surround setup with Klipsch as well (including the bipole/dipole RS-62s you mentioned). I have the RS-62s on the back wall, where the fact that they aren’t directional is less apparent. I have RP-140s on the sides for directional surrounds. I’m running a Denon x4400H that works great. I haven’t added the upper Atmos channels yet, but it’s on the list. As others mentioned, you can add Atmos upfiring speakers on top of your towers, but ideally Atmos wants all sound to be direct firing as opposed to reflection-based. Do give consideration to the THX and Auro 3D codecs as well, as many like those as much as Atmos (the x4400H can utilize all 3).

I’m watching an older 42” Samsung Plasma (nowhere near an ST60), but I’m looking hard at Black Friday deals on the LG 65C8 OLED. We sit about 14’ back, so the larger size will be a great upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by haulnazz15; 11-08-2018 at 07:03 PM.
post #7 of 22 Old 11-09-2018, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked: 1448
Quote:

About 4k:

The expensive disc players honestly dont really perform much better when talking overall video performance. Thats why some of them arent being made any longer. What you DO get is features that I suspect most people wont ever use like analog audio outs or support for SACD or DVD Audio. Upscaling of lower res content used to be something they did better but most people let their TV do it now. They are also usually built stronger/heavier which is nice but again, that doesnt translate into better video performance. Any of the good UHD players from the usual mfgers should do ya fine.

I went from various plasmas to my OLED and the upgrade was well worth it. I loved my various and I felt that OLED gave me what I liked about them plus support for 4K, brighter panels, better daytime performance, 3D, etc, etc. So, you should fine that a good OLED will please you if you are used to plasmas which you are!

Not every 4K release is life-changing. Some are bettter than others and some I have found to be trivial "upgrades". The HDR and Dolby Vision are arguably more appreciated than the extra pixels.

As for customer support - thats always a sticky issue. Most posts here and elsewhere will be about customer service horror stories. LG is no exception. Your mileage will vary as they say.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
Panny UBD-420, LG UBK-90
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #8 of 22 Old 11-10-2018, 06:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by haulnazz15 View Post
Re: audio

I have a 7.1 surround setup with Klipsch as well (including the bipole/dipole RS-62s you mentioned). I have the RS-62s on the back wall, where the fact that they aren’t directional is less apparent. I have RP-140s on the sides for directional surrounds. I’m running a Denon x4400H that works great. I haven’t added the upper Atmos channels yet, but it’s on the list. As others mentioned, you can add Atmos upfiring speakers on top of your towers, but ideally Atmos wants all sound to be direct firing as opposed to reflection-based. Do give consideration to the THX and Auro 3D codecs as well, as many like those as much as Atmos (the x4400H can utilize all 3).

I’m watching an older 42” Samsung Plasma (nowhere near an ST60), but I’m looking hard at Black Friday deals on the LG 65C8 OLED. We sit about 14’ back, so the larger size will be a great upgrade.

When you say you have your rs62s at the back I have to ask why did you put Em there? You said "the fact that they are non directional is less apparent there"..

But I thought the whole point of their design is for them to be SIDE speakers so that they become the bridge between front and back creating more seemless transition from front sounds to back sounds
post #9 of 22 Old 11-10-2018, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Being a bridge between front and back is fine, but Atmos and other newer audio formats “ideally” use more speakers, each pointed/positioned at the listener directly. Hence why I put some directional speakers for my side surrounds, and moved the RS-62s to the rear. Essentially, I have them bridging the sound behind me instead of beside me. Humans have lower spacial orientation with sound coming from behind them, so if the sound is “blended” it’s not as noticeable. Either way, it’s just personal preference. In the end, it’s not likely a big difference either way.

post #10 of 22 Old 11-20-2018, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

Hey guys. I did some reading on my part and have 2 more questions:

Is it possible that none of the 4k tv's you suggested support BOTH hdr 10 AND Dolby vision?

Is it also possible that none of then have Hdmi 2.1??
post #11 of 22 Old 11-20-2018, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:

Is it possible that none of the 4k tv's you suggested support BOTH hdr 10 AND Dolby vision?

The LG and Sony OLEDs do support both HDR10 and Dolby Vision. The Panasonic OLEDs do not support DV.
No display currently supports HDMI 2.1, and most likely will not in 2019 either.
post #12 of 22 Old 11-20-2018, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1475 Post(s)
Liked: 840
Quote:

No TV has full HDMI 2.1 at this point. Some Samsung's have VRR and ALLM, while some Sony's have eARC.

Some brands have DV (like LG, Sony and Vizio) on some models. Some have HDR10+ (like Some Samsung and Panasonic models). Pretty much everyone has HDR10 since that is the basic HDR option. You can't get DV and HDR10+ in one TV since different brands back each one. So far there seems to be no HDR10+ content out there, while there is some DV content.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #13 of 22 Old 11-23-2018, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter

Black friday day deal

LG OLED 55 inches
OLED55c8p

Is that some black friday crappy tv or an actual c8?

C8 vs c7?

The deal is 2000$ CAD instead of 3200
What do you think?
post #14 of 22 Old 11-23-2018, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Black friday day deal

LG OLED 55 inches
OLED55c8p

C8 vs c7?

What do you think?
This is the real LG C8. There is no such thing as a bogus Black Friday imitation.

post #15 of 22 Old 11-23-2018, 12:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Black friday day deal

LG OLED 55 inches
OLED55c8p

C8 vs c7?

What do you think?

55 C8P is currently $2000 everywhere in Canada. Costco, bestbuy, etc. 65 is $3000 everywhere.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #16 of 22 Old 11-23-2018, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

But the question remains:

Is the 2000$ price for the 55 inch lg c8 actually a good deal?

Is the c8 really 3200$ usually?
post #17 of 22 Old 11-23-2018, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

Yes, 55" oleds were selling for $5k just a couple of years ago here in Canada. For $2k you are getting the best picture currently available.

post #18 of 22 Old 11-23-2018, 07:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post
Quote:

Yes, 55" oleds were selling for $5k just a couple of years ago here in Canada. For $2k you are getting the best picture currently available.
Thank you 👍
post #19 of 22 Old 11-27-2018, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Now I only need to select a new atmos and 4k capable receiver to replace my Marantz sr5008

Do you guys recommend any receivers under 800$ CAD that can handle a 7.2.2 atmos setup?

Or at least 5.2.2 atmos setup.

As for hanging atmos to the ceiling I'm entirely new to that, how do you go about doing that?
post #20 of 22 Old 11-27-2018, 06:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Now I only need to select a new atmos and 4k capable receiver to replace my Marantz sr5008

Do you guys recommend any receivers under 800$ CAD that can handle a 7.2.2 atmos setup?

As for hanging atmos to the ceiling I'm entirely new to that, how do you go about doing that?
There are lots of choices : Denon AVR1500H
Denon AVR2400H
Yamaha RXV585
Pioneer VSXLX303 just to name a few.

As for installing speakers its best to get a professional if you don't know what you are doing.

post #21 of 22 Old 11-27-2018, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2438 Post(s)
Liked: 1739
Quote:

Are you willing to consider "B stock"? Try Gibbys They seem to be the go-to place for factory refurbs in Canada.

You may have to stretch your budget a bit to do 7.2.2 (9 channel receiver). The only thing that I see there that is 9 channel, in stock, is a Marantz SR6012. It is listed as "on sale" through 27 November, also known as today. That one would actually allow you to go to 7.2.4, by addition of a cheap external stereo amp. (It processes 11 channels.)
post #22 of 22 Old 11-28-2018, 02:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
Are you willing to consider "B stock"? Try Gibbys They seem to be the go-to place for factory refurbs in Canada.

You may have to stretch your budget a bit to do 7.2.2 (9 channel receiver). The only thing that I see there that is 9 channel, in stock, is a Marantz SR6012. It is listed as "on sale" through 27 November, also known as today. That one would actually allow you to go to 7.2.4, by addition of a cheap external stereo amp. (It processes 11 channels.)

That's where I got my b-stock SR6012.

Len Sorensen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page