Upgrading to an OLED from a Plasma-Motion Blur Worries - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes
  • 3 Post By plasma_fan
  • 3 Post By MrEmoto
  • 1 Post By thepiecesfit
  • 1 Post By Otto Pylot
  • 1 Post By wxman
  • 1 Post By Manoj Mohan
  • 1 Post By Spock1234
  • 1 Post By CHASLS2
  • 1 Post By skip61

post #1 of 21 Old 11-14-2018, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Upgrading to an OLED from a Plasma-Motion Blur Worries

I currently have a Panasonic TC-P50VT20 and plan on upgrading to a 65" OLED. I chose plasma initially, among other reasons, because I could not handle the motion-blur & soap opera effect of competitor styles of the time. Am I going to hate an OLED because it can't compete with a plasma with regard to motion blur/soap opera effect? I've only watched tv/movies/sports on Panasonic Plasmas for the last 9 years so I'm worried it's going to really stand out. Are there any good OLED manufacturers that compete with plasma in this category?

Other setup info (probably won't matter but just in case):

-Onkyo TX-NR809
-Andrew Jones Pioneer 3.1 (Floorstanding/Center/Sub)

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 11-14-2018, 08:22 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Kinda depends on sensitivities. Turn off motion enhancements and there is no soap opera effect but there is some blur. Turn on black frame insertion and the blur is pretty good but there can be some flicker.
Sony is regarded as the best in motion if you use the enhancements.
Coming from plasma I was worried, the motion isnt quite as good no matter the settings. But its also not horrible.
Personally I am really bothered by the soap opera effect, but dont really notice motion blur unless I am specifically looking for it. I also dont notice any flicker with BFI turned on, in store with florescent lighting it was unbearable, at home I notice flicker for about 2-3 seconds after I turn it on in bright areas if I look for it and then my eyes adjust. I generally run the set with BFI on for SDR content and BFI off for HDR, after a few days adjustment from plasma the motion fell off my radar.
wrstdude, dazz87 and Latinoheat like this.
post #3 of 21 Old 11-14-2018, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma_fan View Post
Kinda depends on sensitivities. Turn off motion enhancements and there is no soap opera effect but there is some blur. Turn on black frame insertion and the blur is pretty good but there can be some flicker.
Sony is regarded as the best in motion if you use the enhancements.
Coming from plasma I was worried, the motion isnt quite as good no matter the settings. But its also not horrible.
Personally I am really bothered by the soap opera effect, but dont really notice motion blur unless I am specifically looking for it. I also dont notice any flicker with BFI turned on, in store with florescent lighting it was unbearable, at home I notice flicker for about 2-3 seconds after I turn it on in bright areas if I look for it and then my eyes adjust. I generally run the set with BFI on for SDR content and BFI off for HDR, after a few days adjustment from plasma the motion fell off my radar.
Yeah, I guess I'm the same way; soap opera effect bothers me more so that makes me feel better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 11-14-2018, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 348
If you are not a gamer, get a Sony a8F. Better motion than LG. If the budget allows it, get the A9F which will be good for tv/games.
post #5 of 21 Old 11-14-2018, 09:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I should mention I do not own an OLED, but about to order one on BF, and I've had 4 Panasonic Plasma's, and one Samsung F8500 which is still my main TV and I have the exact concerns. I generally can't do the Soap Opera stuff and just turn it all off, it'll be weeks if not longer before I have one if I can even find one....which is proving to be hard here.
post #6 of 21 Old 11-14-2018, 09:08 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 236
I keep hoping that I will read a forum thread about some "new" non-plasma screen tv where everyone says words to the effect of "yeah, the motion is fantastic; every bit as good or better than on plasma."
Redmist, silver62 and Dolby2020 like this.

Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST30 55-Inch 1080p 3D Plasma HDTV TV
Panasonic DMP-BDT360 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Panasonic DMP-BDT215 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
Yamaha RX-V757 Receiver, Cambridge Soundworks Towers, JBL center, and assorted other speakers for 7.1
post #7 of 21 Old 11-14-2018, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrstdude View Post
I currently have a Panasonic TC-P50VT20 and plan on upgrading to a 65" OLED. I chose plasma initially, among other reasons, because I could not handle the motion-blur & soap opera effect of competitor styles of the time. Am I going to hate an OLED because it can't compete with a plasma with regard to motion blur/soap opera effect? I've only watched tv/movies/sports on Panasonic Plasmas for the last 9 years so I'm worried it's going to really stand out. Are there any good OLED manufacturers that compete with plasma in this category?

Other setup info (probably won't matter but just in case):

-Onkyo TX-NR809
-Andrew Jones Pioneer 3.1 (Floorstanding/Center/Sub)

Thanks in advance!
I actually had the same thing in the back of my head, whenever I go through an AV store I notice it right away. It bothers me when it's a movie but looks like a news broadcast. I honestly don't know if I could watch that...deal breaker for me.

Sony 4K XBR49X850B, Panasonic TC-P65VT50
Cambridge Audio Azur 640R & 740C
Paradigm Studio 60's, 20's, CC-590 & Seismic 12
Xbox One X Project Scorpio, Xbox One S LE GoW, PS4 w VR
post #8 of 21 Old 11-14-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfmp3 View Post
If you are not a gamer, get a Sony a8F. Better motion than LG. If the budget allows it, get the A9F which will be good for tv/games.
So an A8F isn't a good choice if you're a gamer? Just wondering because it's one of two I'm looking to buy.

post #9 of 21 Old 11-14-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor* View Post
I actually had the same thing in the back of my head, whenever I go through an AV store I notice it right away. It bothers me when it's a movie but looks like a news broadcast. I honestly don't know if I could watch that...deal breaker for me.
I hear that! makes me wonder why those settings are on by default. I've yet to hear anyone say they like the effect, best I've heard is its good for sports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor* View Post
So an A8F isn't a good choice if you're a gamer? Just wondering because it's one of two I'm looking to buy.
A8F has a little higher lag than the other OLED's, I forget the exact number but it moves from really good to OK for lag. What market are you in, Panasonic, if available, IMO strikes the best balance.
post #10 of 21 Old 11-14-2018, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Panny another good option, but I have seen mention of motion issues on it. No Dolby Vision either. Panasonic is one of my fav of all time TV makers. Sadly I have no repair center anywhere near me and I'd have to ship it at my expense if there was an issue. Otherwise it would be on top of my list.

Af8 is a lag in the low 30s at 4k, and ~48 in 1080p. I've seen worse, 30 is fine but 48 you may notice, if online gaming YOU WILL notice 48.
post #11 of 21 Old 11-14-2018, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Panny another good option, but I have seen mention of motion issues on it. No Dolby Vision either. Panasonic is one of my fav of all time TV makers. Sadly I have no repair center anywhere near me and I'd have to ship it at my expense if there was an issue. Otherwise it would be on top of my list.

Af8 is a lag in the low 30s at 4k, and ~48 in 1080p. I've seen worse, 30 is fine but 48 you may notice, if online gaming YOU WILL notice 48.
The 'motion issue' on the panasonic is a very rare frame skip on particular content. The pro reviewers wouldn't be doing their job correctly if they didnt mention it, however it really is a non issue and they state as such. There was a real issue in the 2017 models, a firmware update almost totally fixed it and in the 2018 models it carries over. I am yet to notice it, anything that I may have noticed is FAR more likely a issue in the content feed or a dropped frame in a game. But obviously I am biased as I bought a Panny and did so because I believe it was the best choice for me.

Fair comment on the service center.
post #12 of 21 Old 11-14-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:

Panasonic was my fave for plasmas. I should be ok if I game in 4k, my Xbox One X does a good job in that regard.

post #13 of 21 Old 11-14-2018, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Quote:

It also adds an additional 8ms lag when BFI is turned on. Not sure if that behavior carries over to the A9F.

Sony 55A9F
LG 55B6
post #14 of 21 Old 11-15-2018, 12:34 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 97
I've gone from a Panasonic ST50 to an LG C8. The motion is just fine. Any stutter you will see is just because of the fast response time. The tv should still be judder free. The other qualities of the panel more than make up for any motion shortcomings. Set Real Cinema to ON and disable all the other processing True Motion.
wrstdude likes this.
post #15 of 21 Old 11-15-2018, 12:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3145 Post(s)
Liked: 2191
+1. I leave TruMotion disabled for cable HDTV and movies and enable Real Cinema only for non-cable sources. Live news broadcasts look great with no SOE at all, at least to my eyes.
wrstdude likes this.
post #16 of 21 Old 11-15-2018, 12:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 5352 Post(s)
Liked: 3763
On LG tv's if you don't like the RealCinema 5:5 cadence, Turn both RC and TM off. That gives you 3:2 cadence. Using TM messes that up.
wrstdude likes this.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
post #17 of 21 Old 11-16-2018, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 56
I went from a Zt60 to a 77 G6P. I think this whole motion thing is a little bit overhyped. Its minimal to no impact when going from plasma to OLED. Oled has other pros too.. better brightness, whites, lower gaming input lag and of course bigger then my 65" plasma.
wrstdude likes this.
post #18 of 21 Old 11-16-2018, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoj Mohan View Post
I went from a Zt60 to a 77 G6P. I think this whole motion thing is a little bit overhyped. Its minimal to no impact when going from plasma to OLED. Oled has other pros too.. better brightness, whites, lower gaming input lag and of course bigger then my 65" plasma.
I too had the same experience going from a Panasonic 60" ZT60 to LG 65" B6 OLED.

I watch a lot of college football, and never noticed any motion blur (or any other issue for that matter). I just turned off all processing and set the picture to 'Expert Mode - Dark Room'. The picture has been as good or better from all sources.

Plus, my electricity bill is much lower - OLEDs use less energy, and emits less heat than Plasmas.
wrstdude likes this.
post #19 of 21 Old 11-16-2018, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1093 Post(s)
Liked: 491
I never notice it. Only on LED sets.
wrstdude likes this.

Sony 65" A1E Pioneer Elite DV-59 AVI
OPPO203,103&83 Sony BD player
Pioneer Elite SC61 AVR Acurus 200x 3
Paradigm 60V5'S 490 CC V5
B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
post #20 of 21 Old 11-16-2018, 08:04 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
I never notice it. Only on LED sets.
Same here watching hockey on my Oled. No motion blur at all.
wrstdude likes this.

LG Oled 65B7P
Anthem MRX 510 receiver , Furman elite
Paradigm Millenia 300 fronts
Paradigm Millenia 30 Center,Mordaunt-Short ADP
PSA XS15se sub, Oppo udp 203, PS4, Bell PVR Fibe tv
post #21 of 21 Old 12-10-2018, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I went from a Panasonic plasma ST65 and don't notice any blurring on my LG C8 OLED.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page