Ordered an LG C8... what have I done?? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #31 of 43 Old 11-24-2018, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
I suspect the problems reported are not from the setting sunlight. And window tint/film might be an easy solution anyways. But you still have heat concerns from the fireplace. Oleds run about 8~10 degrees above room temperature generally. The organic materials used do best (lifespan wise) in cooler rooms. Plasma's run much warmer.

Many people in reality, don't use their fireplaces very often.

If you find it is not possible to cancel the order, perhaps there are simple things you can do to mitigate the risks.

Yeah, I’m going to turn on the fireplace today and feel how hot it gets up there. Think I’ve done that before and didn’t notice a lot of heat; it was mostly just the rising heat getting dispersed and not any direct radiant heat. I do try to use ours a bit in the winter to add heat to the house to help out the central air, but being ventless I really shouldn’t run it too long at a time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 Old 11-24-2018, 07:11 AM

Location: North Shore of central Long Island, NY (Stony Brook)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_ View Post
Yeah, I’m going to turn on the fireplace today and feel how hot it gets up there. Think I’ve done that before and didn’t notice a lot of heat; it was mostly just the rising heat getting dispersed and not any direct radiant heat. I do try to use ours a bit in the winter to add heat to the house to help out the central air, but being ventless I really shouldn’t run it too long at a time.
Your last message tells me that the fireplace is not a wood-burning one, but can simply be turned on and off. If that's the case, then just don't use it while you're watching TV.
post #33 of 43 Old 11-24-2018, 07:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked: 634
Quote:
Perhaps put a thermometer up there. Compare to the rest of the home.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 43 Old 11-24-2018, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVhike View Post
Your last message tells me that the fireplace is not a wood-burning one, but can simply be turned on and off. If that's the case, then just don't use it while you're watching TV.

So the heat effects only matter when the TV is on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
Perhaps put a thermometer up there. Compare to the rest of the home.

Great idea, I just stuck my Maverick grill thermometer up there, sticking out from the top. Will update with temps after the fire has been running a little while. Reading 97 right now. Probably a conservative test, as the probe is sticking out 4-5 inches farther than the LG would be.
post #35 of 43 Old 11-24-2018, 08:02 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
So the heat effects only matter when the TV is on?

Great idea, I just stuck my Maverick grill thermometer up there, sticking out from the top. Will update with temps after the fire has been running a little while. Reading 97 right now. Probably a conservative test, as the probe is sticking out 4-5 inches farther than the LG would be.
If it's sticking out from the mantel it will be significantly hotter. That mantel should block/deflect a lot of heat from the wall

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

LG 65EF9500
Sony UBP-X800
Polk LSiM703, LSiM704C, LSiM 702, LSi 7
Rythmik D15SE
Marantz AV7703, Outlaw 7125, 3x2200
post #36 of 43 Old 11-24-2018, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegage View Post
If it's sticking out from the mantel it will be significantly hotter. That mantel should block/deflect a lot of heat from the wall

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

It stuck out farther than the TV, but not past the mantle. Fire ran for half an hour or so, with the TV on, before my wife got hot and turned it off. Highest temp i saw was 99.

post #37 of 43 Old 11-24-2018, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1483 Post(s)
Liked: 1468
I don't think you will have an issue to be honest. You're not the first to put an Oled above the fireplace. Best of luck.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
post #38 of 43 Old 11-24-2018, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Ordered an LG C8... what have I done??

Well, after all that, BuyDig got back to my inquiry and was able to cancel my order (sent them an email last night, but thought they’d be closed till tomorrow). Oh well, I’m a bit disappointed at walking away from the deal, as I was about ready to take the chance on it. But, it’s probably for the best as I don’t want to take risks with that kind of money.

Thanks again all for the help!
post #39 of 43 Old 11-24-2018, 11:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I think the obvious solution here is to renovate and put the fireplace above the TV.
Kenbar likes this.

post #40 of 43 Old 11-24-2018, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper View Post
I think the obvious solution here is to renovate and put the fireplace above the TV.

Ha! That would be a sight. Honestly I was more worried about the direct sunlight. Had no idea OLED was that sensitive to it before this thread. Think I probably would have been OK, though my wife likes to open the blinds a lot so who knows.
post #41 of 43 Old 07-19-2019, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post
If you got a new 65 C8 from Best Buy for that price, I'd keep it. That's a very good price, and you have 15 days to return it if you don't like something.

I have a 65 C8 and the room is pretty bright during the day and I don't have any issues. The OLED is plenty bright enough. Burn in is really more of a theoretical risk at this point. Assuming you are watching a variety of programming and don't just watch stuff like CNN all day or programming with the same logo over and over, the consensus seems to be that the burn-in risk might be overblown. Of course, only time will tell.

Anyway, the picture on the LG OLED is awesome and I think you got a very good deal. I'd count your blessings, and give yourself two weeks to see if it works out for you, if your panel is a good one, etc.

Also, the TV sound on the C8 is not bad at all for internal TV speakers. I mean, it's not as good as a sound bar or a receiver set up, but for watching a TV that is mounted over a fireplace, it will probably be just fine.
I dont agree. Mine LGC8 is not good in bright room. The tv reflects everything. Its unwatchable. I have an normal bright livingroom.
post #42 of 43 Old 07-19-2019, 10:58 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3407 Post(s)
Liked: 2464
Quote:
Originally Posted by V Diesel View Post
I dont agree. Mine LGC8 is not good in bright room. The tv reflects everything. Its unwatchable. I have an normal bright livingroom.
My C8 performs exceptionally well under any lighting condition. It can depend a lot on where your windows are in relationship to the panel or your lighting sources.
chad43 likes this.

I never trust an atom, they make up everything.
post #43 of 43 Old 07-19-2019, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
My C8 performs exceptionally well under any lighting condition. It can depend a lot on where your windows are in relationship to the panel or your lighting sources.
Agreed. There is a difference between a "well-lit room" and reflections from windows. My LG C7 performs very well in a room with an abundance of natural lighting, but it does show reflections from side windows if I watch from a certain angle. So to your point, it's not the amount of light, it's the location of the windows in relation to the tv. Since I rarely do any critical watching during the day, it's of no consequence to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page