Ordered an LG C8... what have I done?? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #1 of 43 Old 11-23-2018, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Ordered an LG C8... what have I done??

Short story: I need some quick advice; just ordered an LG C8 and need to make sure it was the right call while I can still cancel.

Long story:
I’ve been price watching TVs for a while, and have posted a couple times on the LCD sub-forums. I’m replacing a Samsung H7150, which is mounted over the fireplace in our open floor plan living room. There are 5 NW facing windows on the wall to the left, so it gets pretty bright in afternoons. This is a general use TV with mostly kids shows during day and shows/TV at night.

Every time I go to Best Buy I love the LG’s, but eventually settled to watch prices on the Sony X900F due to price (not sure if extra $$ for OLED is worth it), ease of mounting (would have to move wall mount down for LG due to lower VESA hole placement, which means more lag bolt drilling on my studs), and fear of burn in (my Panasonic plasma still has the ‘15 era USA logo).

My plan was to jump on the Sony if it got around $1400, or a Samsung Q8 if it got close to $1500. But then I saw the 65’ C8 for $1899 tonight and jumped. Last time I saw it for that price they sold out in under an hour. But even at that price, that’s $400-500 over the Sony that i could have put towards a 4K Blu-ray player or something.

Now I’m trying to decide if that’s the right TV for us. I keep reading that viewing angles aren’t great on the Sony, and our angles can get big depending on where you’re sitting, so that should be a big factor. But I can’t say I’ve ever noticed anything with my H7150. And I read that OLED isn’t great for bright rooms, but then I read the exact opposite. And then I read about burn in risk, but then that it’s really not a problem. So I just don’t know.

Couple of other weird factors... I currently have our tv tilted down slightly to help with angles. I like the idea of being able to put the LG flush to the wall (the side of the TV is one of the first things you see when you walk into our house. On the other hand, that screen looks dang thin, and I worry one errant ball from one of our kids might take it out (though for all I know the LED’s may be even more fragile).

So, for my uses, is the overall quality and benefits of the C8 worth the $$ over the X900F, or would I be better off cancelling and continue watching for deals on the Sony?

Btw, sorry for the long post with scattered thoughts... been a long day and wrote this quickly!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 11-23-2018, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

FWIW, one other consideration is sound quality. I like good sound, which has always been a complaint of mine with my current TV. I know I can always get a sound bar, but for reasons I won’t get into I’m not really planning on that right now.
post #3 of 43 Old 11-23-2018, 05:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 75
No tv will have good audio...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

65" Sony A9F
Arcam SR250
Bowers & Wilkins 702s
REL T7i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 Old 11-23-2018, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Liked: 1011
If you got a new 65 C8 from Best Buy for that price, I'd keep it. That's a very good price, and you have 15 days to return it if you don't like something.

I have a 65 C8 and the room is pretty bright during the day and I don't have any issues. The OLED is plenty bright enough. Burn in is really more of a theoretical risk at this point. Assuming you are watching a variety of programming and don't just watch stuff like CNN all day or programming with the same logo over and over, the consensus seems to be that the burn-in risk might be overblown. Of course, only time will tell.

Anyway, the picture on the LG OLED is awesome and I think you got a very good deal. I'd count your blessings, and give yourself two weeks to see if it works out for you, if your panel is a good one, etc.

Also, the TV sound on the C8 is not bad at all for internal TV speakers. I mean, it's not as good as a sound bar or a receiver set up, but for watching a TV that is mounted over a fireplace, it will probably be just fine.
post #5 of 43 Old 11-23-2018, 05:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1108 Post(s)
Liked: 633
Oleds are temperature sensitive. Not sure about the fireplace location...

The 2018 demo tv's are just now starting to show un-even wearing. Saw the first case at Sams Club just a couple days ago, that I have seen...on a 2018 C8. So they, like there fore runners can suffer the same fate. But if you are a little careful that might not be an issue.

Bright wise...while they are not as bright as the Samsung for example, they can get pretty bright. However running them brightly...that increases the risks of un-even wearing showing up.

I would probably pick a different TV for over the fireplace in a bright room.

My thoughts.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
post #6 of 43 Old 11-23-2018, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty View Post
If you got a new 65 C8 from Best Buy for that price, I'd keep it. That's a very good price, and you have 15 days to return it if you don't like something.

I have a 65 C8 and the room is pretty bright during the day and I don't have any issues. The OLED is plenty bright enough. Burn in is really more of a theoretical risk at this point. Assuming you are watching a variety of programming and don't just watch stuff like CNN all day or programming with the same logo over and over, the consensus seems to be that the burn-in risk might be overblown. Of course, only time will tell.

Anyway, the picture on the LG OLED is awesome and I think you got a very good deal. I'd count your blessings, and give yourself two weeks to see if it works out for you, if your panel is a good one, etc.

Also, the TV sound on the C8 is not bad at all for internal TV speakers. I mean, it's not as good as a sound bar or a receiver set up, but for watching a TV that is mounted over a fireplace, it will probably be just fine.
Yeah , very well said.

Take a sort of Demo during return period, return it if you encounter any major problems.

Sony 55A8F OLED TV, Sony X900E LCD TV, Yamaha RX-A3050 reciever, Epson 5300 1080p projector, SVS Ultra Tower Surround Sound 7.1.2 system, SVS PB2000 Subwoofer, SVS SB1000 Subwoofer, Marantz UD7007 Universal Disc Player, LG UP970 UHD Player, Braun 16:9 projector screen.
post #7 of 43 Old 11-23-2018, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks all.

Yeah, I know the sound will never be as good as on a sound bar but figured it still might differ between TVs.

The deal was from BuyDig, so unfortunately no try-it period. Didn’t mean to be misleading, I’ve been to Best Buy a few times to compare and ask about sales.

I was also reading the burn-in thread just now, between that and heat sensitivity (didn’t know about that), starting to lean towards cancelling.
post #8 of 43 Old 11-23-2018, 05:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 89
I was in a similar situation. I wanted to go up in size from my 70" Vizio. I must have changed my mind a dozen times during the process, but in the end I just could not escape the fact that the OLED's had the best picture every time I looked at them in the store. And 77" OLEDs are way out whack from a value proposition. So I settled for quality instead of quantity this buying cycle. I think you made the right choice going to OLED, the 900F is a great set but is not as good as an OLED. (the 85" 900F would have been my "quantity" choice, FWIW )
post #9 of 43 Old 11-23-2018, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked: 443
Since you state that viewing angles are an issue for your viewing room, I'd stick with OLED. And you got a GREAT deal.
post #10 of 43 Old 11-23-2018, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I was pretty excited about the deal and really do want to stick with it, but now concerned about the heat from fireplace. Is the OLED really that much more sensitive than the LCDs? My mantle is a decent size to act somewhat as a shield and we haven’t had any issues with the other TV.

Also, what about the half hour or so each day that direct sunlight hits the TV (even with blinds)?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks again for the help!
post #11 of 43 Old 11-23-2018, 07:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_ View Post
Thanks, I was pretty excited about the deal and really do want to stick with it, but now concerned about the heat from fireplace. Is the OLED really that much more sensitive than the LCDs? My mantle is a decent size to act somewhat as a shield and we haven’t had any issues with the other TV.

Also, what about the half hour or so each day that direct sunlight hits the TV (even with blinds)?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks again for the help!
Man, this is just getting worse and worse lol. You got a great price on it, can't you use it in some other room or location?

Sunlight directly on Oleds is a no no.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
post #12 of 43 Old 11-23-2018, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
Man, this is just getting worse and worse lol. You got a great price on it, can't you use it in some other room or location?

Sunlight directly on Oleds is a no no.

Gahh, ok. Well I guess the C8 is out for that location lol.

There is another location but I’m not sold on the idea. While I said the TV is replacing my H7150, technically that one is moving upstairs to the media/playroom to replace the Panasonic plasma. So I could put the C8 in there instead. It’s more ideal as there are blackout curtains in there and no fireplace, and we sit closer to the TV in there, but we very rarely use the room for TV save for the occasional movie night. On the other hand, the H7150 downstairs is working just fine and we probably sit too far away to really enjoy the 4K upgrade. So it’s not a bad idea, we just wouldn’t be taking advantage of the fancy TV near as much.
post #13 of 43 Old 11-23-2018, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Man, you are screwed!
post #14 of 43 Old 11-23-2018, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3337 Post(s)
Liked: 2399
Personally, I'd never place a tv above a fireplace unless the fireplace was an insert and not a "real" fireplace. They look great in model homes but not for me. Proper cabling is an issue, viewing angle could be an issue, and you are limited somewhat to the size of the panel should you choose to upgrade to a bigger size. Audio is also an issue. TV audio is getting better, regardless of the mfr, but it's still tv audio. For a C8, or any other tv that is comparable, you really want to have some sort of audio that will do the panel justice.

The C8 is a great tv (I have one) but putting it above a fireplace creates another set of issues that may, or may not, be remedied.
lsorensen likes this.
post #15 of 43 Old 11-23-2018, 07:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Gahh, ok. Well I guess the C8 is out for that location lol.

There is another location but I’m not sold on the idea. While I said the TV is replacing my H7150, technically that one is moving upstairs to the media/playroom to replace the Panasonic plasma. So I could put the C8 in there instead. It’s more ideal as there are blackout curtains in there and no fireplace, and we sit closer to the TV in there, but we very rarely use the room for TV save for the occasional movie night. On the other hand, the H7150 downstairs is working just fine and we probably sit too far away to really enjoy the 4K upgrade. So it’s not a bad idea, we just wouldn’t be taking advantage of the fancy TV near as much.
Well, me thoughts are, once you get the C8 moved upstairs...add a 4K player and stream 4k stuff from Youtube N such...upstairs movie nights, family will love it. I assume you have a proper surround sound set up to do it justice. If not...well, get the wallet back out...

post #16 of 43 Old 11-23-2018, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Personally, I'd never place a tv above a fireplace unless the fireplace was an insert and not a "real" fireplace.
We've been doing some re-design in our home with some new furniture and moving some stuff around, and we've been working with a designer. And in a couple of conversations, she suggested re-orienting our family room to put the TV over our fireplace. I had to quickly shut that down the first time I heard it. And the second or third time the designer tried to open the issue for discussion again, I gave her a look that quickly caused to realize that this was a non-starter. She gave up the idea after that, and now my OLED is safe in its proper home on the adjacent wall.
post #17 of 43 Old 11-23-2018, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

I agree fireplace isn’t ideal, but with the way the room is laid out it’s the only option. Really by fireplace, it’s an empty enclosed area with a ventless gas insert stuck in it. It hasn’t really bothered us from an ergonomic standpoint, especially since we do a lot of watching while reclined.

Thought about putting the C8 upstairs, but decided it’s not worth it to spend almost $2k for something we won’t use that often, even if it’s a good deal. So I think I’ll have to pass on the deal. It’s crazy that sunlight is so bad for OLED. I did a lot of research before buying and I still managed to miss that part.

Thanks again for the help, sounds like y’all saved me from potentially messing up a really expensive TV.

post #18 of 43 Old 11-23-2018, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 89
The mantel will likely block most/all of the heat. (Check it with your set there now?)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
post #19 of 43 Old 11-23-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
We've been doing some re-design in our home with some new furniture and moving some stuff around, and we've been working with a designer. And in a couple of conversations, she suggested re-orienting our family room to put the TV over our fireplace. I had to quickly shut that down the first time I heard it. And the second or third time the designer tried to open the issue for discussion again, I gave her a look that quickly caused to realize that this was a non-starter. She gave up the idea after that, and now my OLED is safe in its proper home on the adjacent wall.
Yeah. Don't me wrong, putting a tv above a fireplace is a personal thing, so what's not good for me could be perfect of someone else. The aesthetic, linear look is really cool. But in my opinion not too practical.
post #20 of 43 Old 11-23-2018, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperco View Post
The mantel will likely block most/all of the heat. (Check it with your set there now?)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Yeah, it does block most of it. Think at this point the direct sunlight is the big hiccup, though it’s not very much that hits it and it’s only for half an hour or so.
post #21 of 43 Old 11-23-2018, 08:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Yeah. Don't me wrong, putting a tv above a fireplace is a personal thing, so what's not good for me could be perfect of someone else. The aesthetic, linear look is really cool. But in my opinion not too practical.
What bugs me is the height issue. But sometimes, as Ben points out, there is no other viable option.
post #22 of 43 Old 11-23-2018, 08:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I agree fireplace isn’t ideal, but with the way the room is laid out it’s the only option. Really by fireplace, it’s an empty enclosed area with a ventless gas insert stuck in it. It hasn’t really bothered us from an ergonomic standpoint, especially since we do a lot of watching while reclined.

Thought about putting the C8 upstairs, but decided it’s not worth it to spend almost $2k for something we won’t use that often, even if it’s a good deal. So I think I’ll have to pass on the deal. It’s crazy that sunlight is so bad for OLED. I did a lot of research before buying and I still managed to miss that part.

Thanks again for the help, sounds like y’all saved me from potentially messing up a really expensive TV.

Easy to miss https://www.google.com/search?ei=etL...F1Jsg&gs_ivs=1

The Sony X900F is well liked around AVS. Highly regarded from what I have seen. Also Sony's are known for having great motion control as you probably know.

post #23 of 43 Old 11-23-2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
What bugs me is the height issue. But sometimes, as Ben points out, there is no other viable option.
Agreed. We do what we can do with what we have. I've always used media consoles so setup, tv size, angle, etc has never been an issue. Both of my HTS's are on media consoles.
post #24 of 43 Old 11-24-2018, 05:26 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 57
That location does not look problematic to me. I have a 2015 LG OLED that I love and paid a lot more for. You got a great deal. I'd stick with the LG and deal with the 1/2 hour sunlight

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

LG 65EF9500
Sony UBP-X800
Polk LSiM703, LSiM704C, LSiM 702, LSi 7
Rythmik D15SE
Marantz AV7703, Outlaw 7125, 3x2200
post #25 of 43 Old 11-24-2018, 05:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Easy to miss https://www.google.com/search?ei=etL...F1Jsg&gs_ivs=1

The Sony X900F is well liked around AVS. Highly regarded from what I have seen. Also Sony's are known for having great motion control as you probably know.

Thanks, yeah it does look like a pretty decent plan B as long as BuyDig lets me cancel (looks like I have to wait till tomorrow to find out)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegage View Post
That location does not look problematic to me. I have a 2015 LG OLED that I love and paid a lot more for. You got a great deal. I'd stick with the LG and deal with the 1/2 hour sunlight

Thanks. Does sunlight hit yours? Curious if anyone has been getting away with it. It doesn’t bother me, and is usually only slivers at that, but I don’t want to damage the TV.
post #26 of 43 Old 11-24-2018, 06:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

If you do not think the fireplace heat would be an issue...how about adding some solar film to the windows...or changing to a different type of blind?

post #27 of 43 Old 11-24-2018, 06:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
If you do not think the fireplace heat would be an issue...how about adding some solar film to the windows...or changing to a different type of blind?

For what it’s worth, this is is the layout. Since the TV is so high, the sunlight really only hits it right before setting, from the two leftmost windows. I’ll have to pay attention tonight, but I think the sun that does get through is coming from the little slots for the string/line, assuming the blinds are down. (Please forgive the mess, my daughter is barricading herself to keep her little brother away from her art stuff)

post #28 of 43 Old 11-24-2018, 06:42 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
...Thanks. Does sunlight hit yours? Curious if anyone has been getting away with it. It doesn’t bother me, and is usually only slivers at that, but I don’t want to damage the TV.
I don't think the sunlight "damages" the TV, but, rather, OLED is an emissive technology so viewing can be difficult when hit by sunlight. I might be wrong with this and I'm sure others will weight in. Regardless, with those shades you aren't talking a lot of sunlight and and for a short period of time. I can't image it would be an issue.

My OLED is buy a large window, and I think it get a bit of direct sunlight in the morning, but I never watch TV in the morning so I'm not sure.

LG 65EF9500
Sony UBP-X800
Polk LSiM703, LSiM704C, LSiM 702, LSi 7
Rythmik D15SE
Marantz AV7703, Outlaw 7125, 3x2200
post #29 of 43 Old 11-24-2018, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I suspect the problems reported are not from the setting sunlight. And window tint/film might be an easy solution anyways. But you still have heat concerns from the fireplace. Oleds run about 8~10 degrees above room temperature generally. The organic materials used do best (lifespan wise) in cooler rooms. Plasma's run much warmer.

Many people in reality, don't use their fireplaces very often.

If you find it is not possible to cancel the order, perhaps there are simple things you can do to mitigate the risks.

post #30 of 43 Old 11-24-2018, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegage View Post
I don't think the sunlight "damages" the TV, but, rather, OLED is an emissive technology so viewing can be difficult when hit by sunlight. I might be wrong with this and I'm sure others will weight in. Regardless, with those shades you aren't talking a lot of sunlight and and for a short period of time. I can't image it would be an issue.

My OLED is buy a large window, and I think it get a bit of direct sunlight in the morning, but I never watch TV in the morning so I'm not sure.

What I’ve been reading is that the UV rays cause some sort of burn in effect. I would have never guessed that would be an issue. But it’s encouraging to hear you aren’t having issues, maybe the intensity of the light hitting it makes a difference, which would be good for me since its minimal on mine. Guess the question would be if I’m willing to gamble a $2k unit to find out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page