Report here after you have 10,000 hours+ on your oled - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 194Likes

post #211 of 242 Old 01-19-2020, 10:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
65B7P here from Costco with SQT, 18 months old and just a hair under 6,000 hours.

Even though I haven’t hit the magic 10k, I wanted to chime in as I have some very noticeable burn in and banding.

Interestingly the banding is almost completely top to bottom but it’s horizontal (I can see some vertical if I run tests, but not nearly as obvious)

First I noticed the Netflix logo burned in thanks to the stupidity of LGs own app. Wtf is wrong with them anyway? ESP with the fireworks screensaver coming on so quickly. 2 mins after timing it.

Then I realized it had very pronounced horizontal bands. What’s interesting is the fact that the bands are clearly MOST strong in a square in the middle of the tv - a square that coincides with the issue I read about with pixel refresher. Which would have been run at least twice by the tv automatically by now? I ran it once manually without realizing how high my hours were.

Wondering if I would get lucky and LG would replace the panel. I do have SQT which I realize disclaims BI.
GhaSper_- and Kenbar like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 242 Old 01-19-2020, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1184 Post(s)
Liked: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknyt View Post
65B7P here from Costco with SQT, 18 months old and just a hair under 6,000 hours.

Even though I haven’t hit the magic 10k, I wanted to chime in as I have some very noticeable burn in and banding.

Interestingly the banding is almost completely top to bottom but it’s horizontal (I can see some vertical if I run tests, but not nearly as obvious)

First I noticed the Netflix logo burned in thanks to the stupidity of LGs own app. Wtf is wrong with them anyway? ESP with the fireworks screensaver coming on so quickly. 2 mins after timing it.

Then I realized it had very pronounced horizontal bands. What’s interesting is the fact that the bands are clearly MOST strong in a square in the middle of the tv - a square that coincides with the issue I read about with pixel refresher. Which would have been run at least twice by the tv automatically by now? I ran it once manually without realizing how high my hours were.

Wondering if I would get lucky and LG would replace the panel. I do have SQT which I realize disclaims BI.
Thank you for reporting. Your right, if one's Oled does not make it to 10,000 hours without screen issues they should go ahead and report it here as issues arise.

There is a good chance LG will replace the screen from what I have heard. Check out the Master burn in thread.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
post #213 of 242 Old 01-21-2020, 06:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman_Mike View Post
Destiny 2 HUD. The lower left corner had the HUD that shows your subclass abilities and super charge bars. In the upper left corner, when on your character customization screen, there is a diamond that shows which subclass you are using. In the lower right corner, there is a rectangle that appears as part of the LG YouTube app menu overlay that comes up when on the main screen and not watching a video, or if you pause, FFWD, or REW, a video. That was also burned-in. There was also a DSE looking patch in the middle of the screen, that was never there before, that developed. My theory is it came from many hours of watching content with people centered in the screen, and the fleshtones burned in. Just a theory though.

In pretty much all cases the color of those static images was yellow (outline of destiny HUD is yellow. The inside depends on the elemental subclass you chose, and could either be orange, sky blue, or purple. Red, Yellow, Orange, and Purple to a lesser extent, are danger colors for burning in. The YouTube rectangle is a solid Yellow). In the case of the DSE, fleshtones contain red and yellow, so might be what that's from, but I can't confirm that. All of the burned in areas showed up mainly when something Red, Yellow, Orange, or flesh tones, were displayed in the areas of those static images. Could also be seen very, very faintly with Purple and Green images too.

Destiny 2 has an option to make the HUD more transparent, which I had set to max, but it's still pretty solid at max, in general, and definitely when compared to other games that have that option. I also always play in HDR so the OLED light is always at 100. The most illuminating (disturbing?) thing was the YouTube rectangle. I watch a ton of YouTube, but that rectangle is never on the screen for more than a few seconds at a time, and rarely gets displayed at all during a viewing session other than launching the app and the very rare occasion when I pause. I launch the app from my phone and have a Watch Later playlist all ready to go, so there's no need to be on the main menu as it plays one vid after the next.

This tells me that it doesn't matter if you vary content. If you display something for a couple seconds (even when you pause a video and that rectangle comes up, it goes away after like 5 seconds), enough times, it will eventually burn in also. The newer OLEDs are more resistant to burn in, with bigger red sub pixels, and software additions that detect and dim static elements, so I don't know if this doesn't apply to them, at all, or if the number of times that you display a static image for a few seconds over the course of time, will still burn in, but just take much longer.
Same set (65 E6), same story. same game and same app. 12.5k hours. Posted pics in burn in thread. HUD and Youtube bars, and TV browser menu icons top right. Middle is a discolored glob of burnt reds and yellows to the point that the panel has no real orange or yellow capability at all for 80% of the screen. There is also a vertical defect that formed a year or so ago where at certain dark scenes the right 30-40% is darker then the left of the stripe.

I stopped using it about two years ago for gaming (so my lower left HUD burn in might actually be Destiny 1 now that i think about it), and since then my wife has used it as an internet video and youtube blowtorch in the background for a year or two.

It was under premium care extended warranty but they quickly sent an LG tech and denied the claim (same day as initial call as a matter of fact). LG VIP approved a panel replacement from 3D to 2D, no charge with one year warranty. Waiting for that to happen now.

Plan is to panel replace it and sell it and put up an older LED TV we have for the wife to punish. I am now using a Black Friday 55" C9 in the other room for some gaming and typical varied usage.
GhaSper_- likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #214 of 242 Old 02-26-2020, 06:21 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quick crosspost from other tread -

Extreme case here. 55E6. Bought march '17.

11650 hours on UTT.
Everything is rather green, almost no reds whereabouts the newsanchor sits.
And last night after reading tt i decided to roll clear panel (1h30m) and play solid colors.
Oh my. On solid red i now have something resembling liquid 'drips' from distance. I shouldn't have come up close... It's like dripping spit of dead red leds. It's growing now like by minutes.
I have 65E9 delivered tomorrow. I can't handle anything but OLED now. Hope my wallet survives considering i now have to spend 2k+ every 3 years...
I will try adding pics later.
post #215 of 242 Old 02-26-2020, 08:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1596 Post(s)
Liked: 940
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynzoido View Post
Quick crosspost from other tread -

Extreme case here. 55E6. Bought march '17.

11650 hours on UTT.
Everything is rather green, almost no reds whereabouts the newsanchor sits.
And last night after reading tt i decided to roll clear panel (1h30m) and play solid colors.
Oh my. On solid red i now have something resembling liquid 'drips' from distance. I shouldn't have come up close... It's like dripping spit of dead red leds. It's growing now like by minutes.
I have 65E9 delivered tomorrow. I can't handle anything but OLED now. Hope my wallet survives considering i now have to spend 2k+ every 3 years...
I will try adding pics later.
The 2016 models and older were a lot more susceptible to burn-in than 2017 and later. Your new one should last a lot longer if you do the same type of viewing.

Of course I don't understand why anyone watches any news channels at all. They never provide any details compared to going and reading news online. They feel like a video version of click bait instead.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #216 of 242 Old 02-26-2020, 09:24 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I can only hope re new beast's longevity. It's here, the 65E9. I'm wondering how different processing is and if my truly trusted settings from E6 can be reapplied relatively trouble free.

And yes, guilty. But watching certain 'news' channel helped the upgrade immensely in fiscal sense. Yea, CNBC.
post #217 of 242 Old 02-27-2020, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 40
12,125 hours on my LG 65G6P. Today is its last day. Still good picture, but some logo image retention I can no longer stand. Best Buy taking it with them when they deliver a 77" Sony A9G tomorrow. My usage wasn't heavy until last March when I retired and TV being on (watched or just in the background) probably 6am - 9pm every day.
post #218 of 242 Old 03-01-2020, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Reached 10,000+ hours of use on my 55" Sony A1E. Posted a small overview on the A1E owners thread.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-ol...l#post59317868

XBR55A1E
post #219 of 242 Old 03-05-2020, 10:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1029 Post(s)
Liked: 713
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk82 View Post
I find this really strange that blue supposedly ages the fastest. Blue actually shows the lowest power consumption and since there is just a white sub-pixel behind the color filters blue should actually be very efficient.

I've measured the power consumption of my previous 55C6 and now did the same with my 65C8. This comparison shouldn't be considered completely valid as I didn't measure peak brightness and it could be that the C6 is brighter in SDR but still very interesting that the C8 despite being larger has a lower power consumption.

Power consumption in watts, displaying fully saturated 10% fields at oled-light 100:
Thank you for doing this. As expected, yellow draws the most power and is also the color that burns in the fastest, followed by orange, and then red (as evidenced by the various intensities of burn-in from the MSNBC peacock logo on our B6).

It's been mentioned in other threads before, but could heat be a factor in causing burn-in? Could the extra power draw be causing some part of the panel (color filters?) to heat up and doing so over time causes the burn-in from heat damage? Maybe the heat damages the OLED emitters over time causing the burn-in effect? If I recall correctly, I read somewhere that Panasonic OLEDs incorporate additional cooling and someone suspected it being done to reduce burn-in potential. I didn't verify this.

LG OLED65B6P
post #220 of 242 Old 03-06-2020, 03:41 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1149 Post(s)
Liked: 512
I won't be reporting anytime soon , and by then i will have another OLED. Only do around 350 hours a year.

Sony 65" A1E Pioneer Elite DV-59 AVI
OPPO203,103&83 Sony BD player
Pioneer Elite SC61 AVR Acurus 200x 3
Paradigm 60V5'S 490 CC V5
B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
post #221 of 242 Old 03-06-2020, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHASLS2 View Post
I won't be reporting anytime soon , and by then i will have another OLED. Only do around 350 hours a year.
Feb 28 - 14,125 hours OLED65C7P just before LG replaced the panel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200228_155007.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	837.3 KB
ID:	2694182  
post #222 of 242 Old 03-06-2020, 08:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1special View Post
Thank you for doing this. As expected, yellow draws the most power and is also the color that burns in the fastest, followed by orange, and then red (as evidenced by the various intensities of burn-in from the MSNBC peacock logo on our B6).

It's been mentioned in other threads before, but could heat be a factor in causing burn-in? Could the extra power draw be causing some part of the panel (color filters?) to heat up and doing so over time causes the burn-in from heat damage? Maybe the heat damages the OLED emitters over time causing the burn-in effect? If I recall correctly, I read somewhere that Panasonic OLEDs incorporate additional cooling and someone suspected it being done to reduce burn-in potential. I didn't verify this.
Sorry for quoting my own post, but I would really like to hear from some of the more knowledgeable members here what they think about heat and/or lack of sufficient cooling being a possible factor with OLED burn in. Please see my post above for details. Thanks.

LG OLED65B6P
post #223 of 242 Old 03-06-2020, 08:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpc123 View Post
Feb 28 - 14,125 hours OLED65C7P just before LG replaced the panel.
Holy crap! That's pretty bad. What are those horizontal bars from?

LG OLED65B6P
post #224 of 242 Old 03-07-2020, 04:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk82 View Post
I find this really strange that blue supposedly ages the fastest. Blue actually shows the lowest power consumption and since there is just a white sub-pixel behind the color filters blue should actually be very efficient.

I've measured the power consumption of my previous 55C6 and now did the same with my 65C8. This comparison shouldn't be considered completely valid as I didn't measure peak brightness and it could be that the C6 is brighter in SDR but still very interesting that the C8 despite being larger has a lower power consumption.

Power consumption in watts, displaying fully saturated 10% fields at oled-light 100:
The fast aging of blue Oled has nothing to do with power draw and usage, just with the material.. A blue oled behaves different than a red oled.

With LG Oled it does not matter, they dont have blue Oled Subpixels.. All are white.. For that exact reason..

2013 Panasonic TX-P42X60E PDP
2013 Panasonic TX-P42STW60 PDP
ST60 Settings: Custom Mode, Contrast 60 = 100nits peak brightness aka Filmmaker Mode, Panel Brightness Medium
Gamma 2.4, Gamma settings: 10% -30, 80% +3
post #225 of 242 Old 03-07-2020, 04:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 618 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:

Quite power hungry these oleds..

Power rating is max. almost 400 Watt for 55 inch models.. Just like Plasma TVs..

2013 Panasonic TX-P42X60E PDP
2013 Panasonic TX-P42STW60 PDP
ST60 Settings: Custom Mode, Contrast 60 = 100nits peak brightness aka Filmmaker Mode, Panel Brightness Medium
Gamma 2.4, Gamma settings: 10% -30, 80% +3
post #226 of 242 Old 03-07-2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Holy crap! That's pretty bad. What are those horizontal bars from?
Ya holy crap batman is right. :-)
Honestly, we do not know what those bars were. Those were a new surprise when we took the pics when the tech arrived. Don't recall seeing them at 5100 hours and 11,000 hours.
The 2 bars at top and 4 bars at bottom are from Directv closed captioning. Apparently Good Morning America stuck too and we watch that maybe once a week.
post #227 of 242 Old 03-07-2020, 04:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpc123 View Post
Ya holy crap batman is right. :-)
Honestly, we do not know what those bars were. Those were a new surprise when we took the pics when the tech arrived. Don't recall seeing them at 5100 hours and 11,000 hours.
The 2 bars at top and 4 bars at bottom are from Directv closed captioning. Apparently Good Morning America stuck too and we watch that maybe once a week.
There are still members of this forum posting that in order to get burn-in on OLED, you need to watch the same channel for "hours on end" or "several hours a day." This is simply not true. It'll just happen sooner, the more you watch. As you say, Good Morning America once a week caused burn-in on yours.

LG OLED65B6P
post #228 of 242 Old 03-07-2020, 04:54 PM

Quote:
There are still members of this forum posting that in order to get burn-in on OLED, you need to watch the same channel for "hours on end" or "several hours a day." This is simply not true. It'll just happen sooner, the more you watch. As you say, Good Morning America once a week caused burn-in on yours.
Once LG set up a swap, they had a service tech call me. He stated they were sending a D panel as I had an A and those per him had thermal issues causing the extensive burn in our set had. As I've seen in another thread and I am also curious if the panel is from the 9 series and the electronics can still be used.

It was very fascinating to watch the replacement (<20 minutes). The tech said he'd never seen one that bad and he has been replacing a few every month. The only noticeable difference that I saw, was a black assembly box was quite larger on my original panel compared to the new. They did not replace the motherboard even though a refurbished one was sent and I was sure to have it documented with both the service company and LG in case any other issues arise.
post #229 of 242 Old 04-17-2020, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked: 38
C6P - Over 14,500 hours. Who has more??

Havent checked the hours on my TV in months and was pretty shocked today when I looked and saw over 14,500 hours! I have not had any issues to this point, knock on wood. And if there is any burn in present it has to be minimal as I do not notice it.

Interested to hear anyone else who has as many or maybe more hours on their 2016 OLED and if they have had any issues.
post #230 of 242 Old 04-17-2020, 01:47 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbran23 View Post
Havent checked the hours on my TV in months and was pretty shocked today when I looked and saw over 14,500 hours! I have not had any issues to this point, knock on wood. And if there is any burn in present it has to be minimal as I do not notice it.

Interested to hear anyone else who has as many or maybe more hours on their 2016 OLED and if they have had any issues.
There's a thread in one of the OLED forums for people with over 10k hours, just FYI
post #231 of 242 Old 04-17-2020, 02:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4465 Post(s)
Liked: 3914
post #232 of 242 Old 04-17-2020, 02:09 PM

Ah okay. Thanks.
post #233 of 242 Old 04-18-2020, 01:48 PM

Ok. So at 14,500 hours on my C6 I ran burn in test slides from YouTube yesterday and did notice some blotchy areas on red and purple screens. Its located middle bottom of the screen where sub titles are typically located. It's very faint to where at my regular sitting position I wasnt sure if it was just my eyes playing tricks on me. I had to get up and get really close to the screen to make sure it was actually there.
video_analysis likes this.
post #234 of 242 Old 04-18-2020, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4465 Post(s)
Liked: 3914
^Thanks for checking. I suspect I'll be seeing same eventually (not yet to 7k hours).
post #235 of 242 Old 04-18-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
^Thanks for checking. I suspect I'll be seeing same eventually (not yet to 7k hours).
The thing is I rarely ever use subtitles but my girlfriend does since she is always awake later than me (2nd shift worker). It could also be a combination of subtitles and sports score overlays as I do watch plenty of sports. Other than that our usage is definitely varied. No real gaming at all.
post #236 of 242 Old 04-19-2020, 09:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Mmm I never check but this thread peaked my curiosity. 13470 65 C6.

I need to check my 55 C6 in bedroom. I never use it. It’s probably incredibly low for a C6.

No issues at all on the C6. What’s certain I feel the 55 always had a more striking picture. I recall in the C6 days there was discussion on this. The 55 looks impressive on the rare times I fire it up.

Despite no issues I think it’s time to upgrade. I’ve been putting it off but I do want a 77.

I’m also curious of the improvements since the early C6 days..

My elderly mom now lives with me. She watches some in the day while at work I’m sure. Helps kick up those high miles. But really, all and all, this has been an enjoyable trouble free, non burn in set.

And I don’t baby it. If I want to watch pre football shows from 8AM to post football at10PM (ugh this is me during the season) with tickers non stop for 14 hours nothing. Great set.
post #237 of 242 Old 04-19-2020, 09:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome View Post

I need to check my 55 C6 in bedroom. I never use it. It’s probably incredibly low for a C6.

No issues at all on the C6. What’s certain I feel the 55 always had a more striking picture. I recall in the C6 days there was discussion on this. The 55 looks impressive on the rare times I fire it up.

Despite no issues I think it’s time to upgrade. I’ve been putting it off but I do want a 77.

My elderly mom now lives with me. She watches some in the day while at work I’m sure. Helps kick up those high miles. But really, all and all, this has been an enjoyable trouble free, non burn in set.

And I don’t baby it. If I want to watch pre football shows from 8AM to post football at10PM (ugh this is me during the season) with tickers non stop for 14 hours nothing. Great set.
Hi, what oled light setting have you used over this time ?
post #238 of 242 Old 04-20-2020, 12:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgsam View Post
Hi, what oled light setting have you used over this time ?
I don’t compulsive adjust like I use to. Maybe I need a new set!

I use Expert Dark or the ever not so popular HDR effect. I actually have adjusted to HDR effect and it looks pretty good to me. Football, I’ll throw it into standard. Football is a circus ride and I don’t mind the brightness and saturation.

Expert Dark:
OLED 85
Contrast 68
Brightness 57
H and V 10
Color 42
Tint G3

HDR effect medium
OLED 100
Contrast 100
Brightness 51
Sharpness 10
Tint G3
Color Temp W50

Football and most sports standard

Like I say I have really grown into HDR effect. A lot of my watching is just cable HD during the week. I have The Mummy Returns on right now and looks great to me. On the weekends stream or 4k disc.

I’d really love to get a 9 or X to see how far they’ve came.

Last edited by Mr.SoftDome; 04-20-2020 at 12:22 AM.
post #239 of 242 Old 04-20-2020, 12:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.SoftDome View Post

Define "more striking" picture on the 55 vs 65. Is it the resolution? Image will appear more detailed on a smaller screen given same resolution and viewing distance.

LG OLED65B6P
post #240 of 242 Old 06-13-2020, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1184 Post(s)
Liked: 691

Over 10,000 hours run this and report results here. Thanks!

Glorioso likes this.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page