Report here after you have 10,000 hours+ on your oled - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 103Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 207 Old 12-02-2018, 07:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,929
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Report here after you have 10,000 hours+ on your oled

According to Google the average American watches 5 hours of TV per day.

So...

10,000 divided by 5 hours = 2000 days

2000 days divided by 365 = 5 1/2 ish years for the average American to hit 10,000 hours.

But not everyone is an average user, and for sure not the fine folks here on AVS.

Please report here after crossing the 10,000 hour mark and report the condition of your 4K Oled.

Uniformity test...


Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.

Last edited by Kenbar; 01-29-2019 at 05:45 AM.
Kenbar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 207 Old 12-02-2018, 11:06 AM
Senior Member
 
nakkiran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Stellenbosch, Republic of the Western Cape
Posts: 207
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Is there a setting on LG panels that show how many hours it's been on?

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

TV: LG OLED 55C7
Player: Oppo UDP-203
AVR: Cambridge Audio CXR200
Speakers: PSB Imagine T2 towers (bi-amped), PSB Image C5 centre, Monitor Audio Bronze FX surrounds (bipole), Velodyne Impact 10 sub
nakkiran is offline  
post #3 of 207 Old 12-02-2018, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,929
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakkiran View Post
Is there a setting on LG panels that show how many hours it's been on?

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk
Yes, think it's under "general" then "about this tv"...then click on the model info. If I remember right.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
Kenbar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 207 Old 12-02-2018, 11:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,328
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5398 Post(s)
Liked: 3815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
Yes, think it's under "general" then "about this tv"...then click on the model info. If I remember right.
Unless you have a OLED made in Europe. You have to go into SM to find that.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
wxman is offline  
post #5 of 207 Old 12-02-2018, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,929
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Unless you have a OLED made in Europe. You have to go into SM to find that.
Oh. Could you post detailed instructions for folks on how to find it? Don't have accesses to my tv right now and don't remember. Old timers kicking in...my excuse anyways

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
Kenbar is offline  
post #6 of 207 Old 12-02-2018, 11:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,328
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5398 Post(s)
Liked: 3815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
Oh. Could you post detailed instructions for folks on how to find it? Don't have accesses to my tv right now and don't remember. Old timers kicking in...my excuse anyways
You will need a service remote or program a harmony remote to get into SM if you have a European tv.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
wxman is offline  
post #7 of 207 Old 12-02-2018, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,929
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
You will need a service remote or program a harmony remote to get into SM if you have a European tv.
Ah, then our friends across the pond will be left out

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
Kenbar is offline  
post #8 of 207 Old 12-03-2018, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
TravisPNW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 919
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 567 Post(s)
Liked: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
According to Google the average American watches 5 hours of TV per day.

So...

10,000 divided by 5 hours = 2000 days

2000 days divided by 365 = 5 1/2 ish years for the average American to hit 10,000 hours.

But not everyone is an average user, and for sure not the fine folks here on AVS.

Please report here after crossing the 10,000 hour mark and report the condition of your 4K Oled.
I'm a ways out from that. I checked last night and am at 1843 hours after roughly 295 days since purchase... (2/8/18) 6.2 hours per day. PQ is still amazing. Absolutely stunning.

At my current rate of 184 hours a month I'll be hitting 10,000 hours and posting back in this thread in 45 months.... August 2022? Cya then. In the meantime I'm gonna subscribe to this thread on the off chance someone bought his OLED 417 days ago and just hit 10,000 hours after a 417 day 24/7 Breaking Bad marathon and decides to post his panel condition assuming it's not burned in and he can actually see what's on screen.
smurraybhm and Kenbar like this.

LG B7A OLED 65” / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
Movie collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
TravisPNW is online now  
post #9 of 207 Old 12-03-2018, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,929
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPNW View Post
I'm a ways out from that. I checked last night and am at 1843 hours after roughly 295 days since purchase... (2/8/18) 6.2 hours per day. PQ is still amazing. Absolutely stunning.

At my current rate of 184 hours a month I'll be hitting 10,000 hours and posting back in this thread in 45 months.... August 2022? Cya then. In the meantime I'm gonna subscribe to this thread on the off chance someone bought his OLED 417 days ago and just hit 10,000 hours after a 417 day 24/7 Breaking Bad marathon and decides to post his panel condition assuming it's not burned in and he can actually see what's on screen.
Well let's see. If a person bought their 4k Oled...at the start of 2015...let's keep it simple an say 4 years ago. So 10,000 divided 1460 days (4 years)...= 7 ish hours a day. Possible a few folks might have 10,000 hours I reckon.

If the same buyer of the 2015 watched the same as you...6.2 hours per day...would take them 4.41 years to hit 10,000. Would be another 5~6 months before they they crossed the line. So sometime this summer they would be reporting.
smitty and TravisPNW like this.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
Kenbar is offline  
post #10 of 207 Old 12-03-2018, 10:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
GregLee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waimanalo HI
Posts: 4,524
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
Liked: 386
I have 5760 hours on my 2018 4k qled. No BI.

Greg Lee
GregLee is offline  
post #11 of 207 Old 12-03-2018, 11:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Cam1977's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: El paso
Posts: 5,440
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3051 Post(s)
Liked: 3737
^that's such a cool story...now I want a qled, wait what's a qled
wxman, tanis38, Latinoheat and 5 others like this.

Last edited by Cam1977; 12-03-2018 at 11:51 PM.
Cam1977 is online now  
post #12 of 207 Old 12-04-2018, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Latinoheat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 4,349
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1486 Post(s)
Liked: 1476
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post
I have 5760 hours on my 2018 4k qled. No BI.
No but you got all the LCD issues.

Media room- 65" Panasonic FZ950 OLED, Pioneer Elite VSX-90, Panasonic UBD-820 4K, Klipsch Gallery G28's, Klipsch Sub 12, Klipsch RS-52 II, Optik HD cable

Living room- Sony 4K 79XBRX900B, Onkyo RC-360,HTPC,Klipsch Reference R-62II,Rc52II,PS4
Gaming room -Panasonic ST60, PS3, Wii
Latinoheat is online now  
post #13 of 207 Old 12-08-2018, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,929
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Bump.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
Kenbar is offline  
post #14 of 207 Old 12-08-2018, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,929
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Let's keep it to those who have 10,000-ish hours to eliminated clutter. If everyone who has less reports this would be one long thread. I'll keep bumping it when it drops to page two so new members might see it and post if theirs does. Don't expect much response for a while. Think maybe this summer we might start getting reports. Thank you.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
Kenbar is offline  
post #15 of 207 Old 12-08-2018, 10:05 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4876
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi6807 View Post
I have 3180 hrs. No issues. And it is watched more than 12 hrs a day due to family situation. News channels for at least 4 hours a day. Static logos for redzone for at least 6 hrs a day on sundays. But i do have quick start disabled. not to mention college football on saturdays. Most of that is on torch mode. 100 oled light.
3180 hours total / 12 hours per day = 265 days.

4 hours of News channels per day X 265 days = 1060 hours of news channels total.

Assuming those 'news channel' hours are all on a single channel and that channel is CNN (oe equivalent), I'm going to guess you have a 2017 WOLED. Here's what the CNN Max red field looked like after 1120 hours (week 8) of CNN at OLED Light = 100 on the 2017 rtings.com burn-in test (attached).

First clear signs of burn in did not occur until over 2500 hours (week 18). [and again, that is assuming all 4 hours per day are on the same bright yelliw/orange/red static-logo-presenting news channel, ie: CNN or MSNBC].

It would be fantastic if you could report back in another year...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	2494068  
fafrd is online now  
post #16 of 207 Old 12-08-2018, 10:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3443 Post(s)
Liked: 2504
What is the point of this? To show when BI occurs for the "average" viewer?
wxman, Latinoheat, tgm1024 and 2 others like this.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #17 of 207 Old 12-08-2018, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,929
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
What is the point of this? To show when BI occurs for the "average" viewer?
No. Data on lifespans. It might be interesting to collect information of failures of any type. Failure of the power supply for example. But I was looking at only screen lifespan. I expect to see improvements in longevity as the different year models come in crossing the 10,000 hour mark.

In the polls most were wanting 5+ years out of their tv's. This can perhaps act as a loose guide as to whether 4K Oleds can reasonably be expected to provide that. We can then move he target to reporting at 15,000 hours...7-ish years average to see how they generally hold under real world, un-scientific conditions. Inaccurate though it may be. IE: Someone who watches in dark conditions with olight levels low might be expected to achieve more hours on their Oled than someone who watches in a bright room with Olight levels high, for example. But maybe not.

Will be a dead/boring thread for a long time...but should start picking up as the hours accumulate.
8mile13 and tgm1024 like this.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
Kenbar is offline  
post #18 of 207 Old 12-08-2018, 10:56 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
What is the point of this? To show when BI occurs for the "average" viewer?
I thought the point of this thread was to get feedback from average owners who have over 10,000 hours of use on their WOLEDs to confirm anecdotally that WOLEDs deliver at least tuat lifetime watching primarily random content...

I agree with Kenbar that only owners with that number of hoyrs ought to respond, otherwise the thread keeps getting sidetracked.

For some insight why 10,000 hours is an important milestone, even when tested at the minimum current density of 5mA/cm^2, WOLEDs exhibit a degredation of close to 10% in peak luminance (attached).

5mA/cm2 may correspond to display of non-random content such as CNN logo with OLED Light at 100 while random content viewed at lower OLED Light settibgs may represent an average current density of as little as 1mA/cm^2 or less, butpeak luminance of a WOLED panel is likely to deteriorate after 10,000 hours.

If the aging/degredation is uniform (as it would be with random content), even a deterioration of as much as 10% would not be noticable (or at worst woukd require increasing OLED Light setting), so just because you WOLED panel has deteriorated/aged does not mean you will suffer from burn-in.

But knowing how EF9500 and x6P WOLEDs are holding up after 10,000 hours of use would be interesting...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	128
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	2494094  
Blackman and 8mile13 like this.
fafrd is online now  
post #19 of 207 Old 12-09-2018, 12:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 7,626
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4298 Post(s)
Liked: 3723
Why are you excluding 1080p panels? While they are rarer, they are even more likely to be nearing 10k hours now if they haven't already.
fafrd, Latinoheat, tgm1024 and 1 others like this.
video_analysis is online now  
post #20 of 207 Old 12-09-2018, 12:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
wxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 9,328
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5398 Post(s)
Liked: 3815
First it was 5000 hours. Well, I am close to that number on my EF9500, the vast majority of those hours with OLED light at 100. No issues whatsoever. Now it's 10,000 hours. Someone will hit that, have no issues, and the goalposts will be moved forward to 15,000 hours, and then 20,000 hours, until something bad happens so we can see that post "I told you so" This is getting ridiculous. Enjoy your tv's and quit worrying. Life is too short.

LG 65E6P OLED - LG 65EF9500 OLED - OPPO 203 - OPPO 103D
wxman is offline  
post #21 of 207 Old 12-09-2018, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,929
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
Why are you excluding 1080p panels? While they are rarer, they are even more likely to be nearing 10k hours now if they haven't already.
Two reasons.

The spacing on the pixels may be farther apart or they could be larger...and therefore may disperse/handle heat differently. So their wear rates might be very different from 4K screens.

I wanted to keep it more relevant to purchasers of new models. The 8K Oleds will need it's own thread.

Update! All years are now welcome to report
fafrd likes this.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.

Last edited by Kenbar; 12-09-2018 at 04:42 PM.
Kenbar is offline  
post #22 of 207 Old 12-09-2018, 07:59 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi6807 View Post
I have 3180 hrs. No issues. And it is watched more than 12 hrs a day due to family situation. News channels for at least 4 hours a day. Static logos for redzone for at least 6 hrs a day on sundays. But i do have quick start disabled. not to mention college football on saturdays. Most of that is on torch mode. 100 oled light.
3180 hours total / 12 hours per day = 265 days.

4 hours of News channels per day X 265 days = 1060 hours of news channels total.

Assuming those 'news channel' hours are all on a single channel and that channel is CNN (oe equivalent), I'm going to guess you have a 2017 WOLED. Here's what the CNN Max red field looked like after 1120 hours (week 😎 of CNN at OLED Light = 100 on the 2017 rtings.com burn-in test (attached).

First clear signs of burn in did not occur until over 2500 hours (week 18). [and again, that is assuming all 4 hours per day are on the same bright yelliw/orange/red static-logo-presenting news channel, ie: CNN or MSNBC].

It would be fantastic if you could report back in another year...
Will do.
fafrd likes this.
yogi6807 is online now  
post #23 of 207 Old 12-09-2018, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Otto Pylot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bull Mountain, OR
Posts: 15,061
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3443 Post(s)
Liked: 2504
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
First it was 5000 hours. Well, I am close to that number on my EF9500, the vast majority of those hours with OLED light at 100. No issues whatsoever. Now it's 10,000 hours. Someone will hit that, have no issues, and the goalposts will be moved forward to 15,000 hours, and then 20,000 hours, until something bad happens so we can see that post "I told you so" This is getting ridiculous. Enjoy your tv's and quit worrying. Life is too short.
Agreed. I don't think that the current proposal is going to be statistically accurate. Maybe good conversation over a beer or two but mostly useless. Way too many variables (panel size, firmware version, viewing distance, viewing environment, viewing habits, source material, ad naseum). Interesting, sure. Ultimately useful, no. Will BI happen on some sets, absolutely. Will it be worse on some than others, sure. But that's the chance one takes with a newer technology. Nothing is guaranteed. Most of us are informed enough to know what we were/are getting into so I'm just going to enjoy the hell out of my set until, and if, issues arise. I'm not going to go looking for issues. That's ridiculous even for someone who is as OCD as myself

BI is real for some, but we need to be very careful when discussing it as to not infer that those who went with OLED made a bad decision or were fools to do so. That deters from the legitimate conversation about issues, real or imagined, and gets into the dogmatic "I'm right and you're wrong and you're a fool for doing so". We've already seen that with one poster who is no longer with us and any valid points he may have had, were totally lost with his rhetoric.

Keep it civil folks. After all, this is only television so let's help each other if need be and not be judgmental about it.
Otto Pylot is online now  
post #24 of 207 Old 12-09-2018, 09:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4876
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
First it was 5000 hours. Well, I am close to that number on my EF9500, the vast majority of those hours with OLED light at 100. No issues whatsoever. Now it's 10,000 hours. Someone will hit that, have no issues, and the goalposts will be moved forward to 15,000 hours, and then 20,000 hours, until something bad happens so we can see that post "I told you so" This is getting ridiculous. Enjoy your tv's and quit worrying. Life is too short.
Who's worrying?

I'm ecstatic with the performance of my 65C6P and am confident it is going to well outlast the 5-year warranty I have on it.

The subject of OLED Lifetime is of interest to me (especially as it pertains to WOLEDs potential to expand into the broader TV market out of the Premium TV Segment).
fafrd is online now  
post #25 of 207 Old 12-09-2018, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post
Agreed. I don't think that the current proposal is going to be statistically accurate. Maybe good conversation over a beer or two but mostly useless. Way too many variables (panel size, firmware version, viewing distance, viewing environment, viewing habits, source material, ad naseum). Interesting, sure. Ultimately useful, no. Will BI happen on some sets, absolutely. Will it be worse on some than others, sure. But that's the chance one takes with a newer technology. Nothing is guaranteed. Most of us are informed enough to know what we were/are getting into so I'm just going to enjoy the hell out of my set until, and if, issues arise. I'm not going to go looking for issues. That's ridiculous even for someone who is as OCD as myself

BI is real for some, but we need to be very careful when discussing it as to not infer that those who went with OLED made a bad decision or were fools to do so. That deters from the legitimate conversation about issues, real or imagined, and gets into the dogmatic "I'm right and you're wrong and you're a fool for doing so". We've already seen that with one poster who is no longer with us and any valid points he may have had, were totally lost with his rhetoric.

Keep it civil folks. After all, this is only television so let's help each other if need be and not be judgmental about it.
There are plenty of threads on WOLED Burn-in, but from the title, I don't believe this is one of them.

I believe the subject of this thread is OLED Lifetime, which is intrinsic to use and is not contingent on content viewed as is burn-in.

OLED TVs will eventually dim with use. If you view with a low OLED Light setting, you will be able to compensate for that dimming by increasing OLED Light setting until you Max out at 100, at which point when the WOLED continues to dim and eventually delivers an image too dim for you to consider it acceptable, your WOLED TV has reached the end of its useful life.

LG at various points has claimed a 10,000 hour lifetime for their WOLED Tvs so it'll be intetesting to track how many WOLED owners consider their WOLED TVs still perfectly viewable after that amount of use.

Please take talk of burn-in to one of the burn-in threads and lets keep this thread on overall lifetime (dimming).
fafrd is online now  
post #26 of 207 Old 12-09-2018, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
Two reasons.

The spacing on the pixels may be farther apart or they could be larger...and therefore may disperse/handle heat differently. So their wear rates might be very different from 4K screens.

I wanted to keep it more relevant to purchasers of new models. The 8K Oleds will need it's own thread.
Yes, pixel size will impact mA/cm^2 for a given luminance and hence aging rate, but the same is also true for different 4K pixel sizes.

a 55" 4K pixel should age faster than a 65" 4K pixel should age faster than a 77" 4K pixel. And a 55" 1080p pixel should age slower than a 55" 4K pixel except that LG made a major change in inter-subpixel spacing moving from 1080p to 4K, so who knows which pixel ages slower?

I'd suggest we include all WOLED panels including the earliest 1080p models in this single thread rather start multipke sub-threads and it would be a good idea for those reporting to detail the specific model they have so we can also account for differences in aging rate for different-sized 4K pixels...
fafrd is online now  
post #27 of 207 Old 12-09-2018, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,929
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Yes, pixel size will impact mA/cm^2 for a given luminance and hence aging rate, but the same is also true for different 4K pixel sizes.

a 55" 4K pixel should age faster than a 65" 4K pixel should age faster than a 77" 4K pixel. And a 55" 1080p pixel should age slower than a 55" 4K pixel except that LG made a major change in inter-subpixel spacing moving from 1080p to 4K, so who knows which pixel ages slower?

I'd suggest we include all WOLED panels including the earliest 1080p models in this single thread rather start multipke sub-threads and it would be a good idea for those reporting to detail the specific model they have so we can also account for differences in aging rate for different-sized 4K pixels...
I think your more knowledgeable about Oleds than most here...for sure me. So if you feel that would be best, so it shall be. Folks can post their 1080 Oleds crossing 10,000 hours here as well. I will try to edit the title.
fafrd likes this.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
Kenbar is offline  
post #28 of 207 Old 12-09-2018, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,929
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Done.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
Kenbar is offline  
post #29 of 207 Old 12-09-2018, 10:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
fafrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 13,311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
Done.
It's a real pain. You can change the title of your lead post, and it will change the title of that post but not the title of the thread.

The only way to get the title of a thread changed is to send a PM to a miderator on the Forum.

(been there, done that ).
fafrd is online now  
post #30 of 207 Old 12-09-2018, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 1,929
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked: 636
Oh wait, did not work. Hmm.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
Kenbar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off