Tough decision --> currently have OLED LG E6 65", should I go for C8 now.... - Page 3 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 20Likes

post #61 of 93 Old 12-11-2018, 07:40 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by milosbgd View Post
Hi,

I have very tough thoughts , and thinking, and I would appreciate if somebody can give me best advice.
I currently own LG OLED 65" E6, which is great TV, has nice sound, and its 4k HDR, and 3D capable, but looking at the various web sites, LG C8 OLED 65" has catched my attention. I am thinking of selling to a friend my E6, and add about 1.200 EUR for new C8 65".

However, I am not really sure how much picture improvement I will get moving from E6 to C8 , same screen size (65"). I mostly watch the movies (4k or blu ray), games (PS4 Pro), and regular TV program.

Please let me know you opinon is it worthy to go for this upgrade now, or lay low, and wait some other opportunity next year ????

Thanks on all suggestions !

Milos
2016 to 2017 was a big change for LG Oleds. 2017 to 2018 a smaller change. I'd skip the C8 and go for E8. If you're in the US I know LG currently has it marked down from $4000 to $3300 and given nearing year end some phenomenal prices can be had. I wanted an E7 last year, but too dear. A year later I'm seeing deals for E8 that match what I paid for B7. Atmos will be much easier with 2018 model. Dolby Vision will be easier as the 2016 only supports dolby vision at 30 and not 60hz. No news on 2019 I've seen, but prices initially will be much higher for sure. Dolby Vision and Atmos are taking over on iTunes and Vudu. I'm sitting here right now comparing Dredd (2012) HDR disc on Oppo versus iTunes Dolby Vison. Even with the lesser Atmos I'm leaning towards the iTunes and dolby vision. From 2016 to 2018 you're getting a lot more light output from Oled, this even helps in well lit rooms as you can compensate rather nicely with SDR material now.

HDMI Gone Wild - Audio HDMI Chains: (min. upmixed Atmos) Sony X700(Vudu, etc.)
Oppo UDP-203-->LG OLED65B7 and SamsungK950 (4K Atmos discs and files + 2 more subs!)
XboxOneS-->K950 (DTS discs, 2K files, Fandango 2K DTSHD)
ATV4K-->AVRkey-->XboxOneS-->K950 (iTunes and Vudu atmos, &Infuse - dd5.1)
Roku Premiere+-->Oppo UDP-203-->K950(Fandango and MA HDR, DD+)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 93 Old 12-11-2018, 11:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked: 20
If u want to stick with 65 , i would come with extra dough and move to Sony premium
If 77 is what u r drooling like me C8 77 is an awesome set 👍
post #63 of 93 Old 12-12-2018, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 4
@ ziba ji/ others - i have in even bigger doubt now, because I sow last evening in store Sony 65" AF9 and sales guy told me is the best OLED tv up to date, but reading some comments here on forum didnt make me to belive that this is reallh the truth. My aim is to buy tv that will give most superb picture (vivid colors, great black, great motion handling, easy for use ,good sound, that money can buy up to date in segment OLED tv. I read on forum that LG has better frame rate in games (PS4 Pro), and on my previous tv, LG E6, I was not very happy with motion and frame rate in games on PS4 Pro. Also, the DV and HDR, I want the best on the market, and I read thar LG is better then Sony AF9 in this as well. Sound is important , and I see that Sony is better then LG, but does not have dolby atmos.
Finally, I see that wall moutning of Sony AF9 is very complicated and that specail wall mount has to be used. Can somobody comment more on that?

The last option, but only due to good price offer that I have is Samsung QLED Q8F (flat screen), and I can risk to go to tv which has this issues with blacks not so strong as oled but i want to make sure that it will not be total debacle in spending money for something that is worster then E6, or C8. On the other hand , i love vivid colors.

Any comments and suggestions would be very much appreciated urgently as I have to make final decision within next couple of hours.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 93 Old 12-12-2018, 04:59 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Hi,

I have very tough thoughts , and thinking, and I would appreciate if somebody can give me best advice.
I currently own LG OLED 65" E6, which is great TV, has nice sound, and its 4k HDR, and 3D capable, but looking at the various web sites, LG C8 OLED 65" has catched my attention. I am thinking of selling to a friend my E6, and add about 1.200 EUR for new C8 65".

However, I am not really sure how much picture improvement I will get moving from E6 to C8 , same screen size (65"). I mostly watch the movies (4k or blu ray), games (PS4 Pro), and regular TV program.

Please let me know you opinon is it worthy to go for this upgrade now, or lay low, and wait some other opportunity next year ????

Thanks on all suggestions !

Milos
I had a 65" E6 that I sold last year (around this time) because of its near-black handling and macroblocking. I went through about 4 panels before realizing it wasn't the panels (although some were better than others) but the technology at the time. Not so much with quality sources like Blu-rays, but with compressed signals like cable. I bought a 65" C7 and the PQ, for me anyway, was a BIG step up in terms of near-black handling and some contouring issues. The 2018 models are supposed to be even better (but I'm holding off until I see what comes out in 2019 before threatening my marriage).

That was really the only thing that was bothering me (a LOT) about the E6. Otherwise I loved it. I REALLY miss that great 3D, I have to tell you!! It was the best 3D I'd seen.

Sound was very good, but to be honest I don't miss it since I think the C7 has very good sound, especially with Dolby Atmos, for casual watching, a.k.a., cable.

Tough decision...if you're like me it's VERY hard to wait. But I think a lot of folks who know a bit more about the 2018 models have weighed in and given you some good advice. Hope you can reach a decision you're happy with!!

Happy Holidays!
wildbill722 likes this.

All High Def LLC

ISF Certified
THX Certified Professional Video Calibration
THX Certified Professional Home Theater 2
post #65 of 93 Old 12-12-2018, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
@ ziba ji/ others - i have in even bigger doubt now, because I sow last evening in store Sony 65" AF9 and sales guy told me is the best OLED tv up to date, but reading some comments here on forum didnt make me to belive that this is reallh the truth. My aim is to buy tv that will give most superb picture (vivid colors, great black, great motion handling, easy for use ,good sound, that money can buy up to date in segment OLED tv. I read on forum that LG has better frame rate in games (PS4 Pro), and on my previous tv, LG E6, I was not very happy with motion and frame rate in games on PS4 Pro. Also, the DV and HDR, I want the best on the market, and I read thar LG is better then Sony AF9 in this as well. Sound is important , and I see that Sony is better then LG, but does not have dolby atmos.
Finally, I see that wall moutning of Sony AF9 is very complicated and that specail wall mount has to be used. Can somobody comment more on that?

The last option, but only due to good price offer that I have is Samsung QLED Q8F (flat screen), and I can risk to go to tv which has this issues with blacks not so strong as oled but i want to make sure that it will not be total debacle in spending money for something that is worster then E6, or C8. On the other hand , i love vivid colors.

Any comments and suggestions would be very much appreciated urgently as I have to make final decision within next couple of hours.

Thanks.

You didn't even mention the smart features. Sony had a lot of stability issues with Android TV when they entered the market. I'd want to be sure that it's a lot more stable than it was, and that the App support is in place to deliver DV and HDR through whatever streaming services you may use. As you're aware LG has a solid solution, but it's not very interesting beyond the major apps but does a very nice job with tricky things like screen mirroring. Does Sony have miracast or only chromecast? And do you care? We can't help you with that part.

The Sony and LG are always very close in the technical evaluations, so, it should come down to some of the individual features and of course price.
post #66 of 93 Old 12-12-2018, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked: 829
Quote:

Thanks.

The TV does not have anything to do with the framerate of your PS4 Pro. That's the PS4 Pro's problem. The TV affects latency though, and LG is a bit better there than Sony.

As for atmos speakers in the TV, I think that's a joke. If you want atmos, get something proper for it. The sound from the TV is much better on the Sony than the LG, but neither compares to a proper sound system or a high quality soundbar and subwoofer.

The wall mount on the A9F is trivial. Nothing special about it. Just fold up the kickstand and lock it in place and use the vesa mounting screw holes like any other TV. And at least they are in the center where as LG has them near the bottom of the TV.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #67 of 93 Old 12-12-2018, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Sure... but from overall perspective, what is the best choice?
post #68 of 93 Old 12-12-2018, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I doubt there is a best choice. If money is no object, the A9F probably has the best processing and almost certainly the best built in audio of any TV you can get right now, but the C8 comes in a 77". And of course in 1 month CES announcements will happen and something even better may be coming out in the early spring time from LG. I doubt Sony is doing anything major in the spring on the OLED side unless somehow they have a surprise larger size A9F to tell us about.

Len Sorensen

Sony XBR55A1E, Marantz SR6012, Benq W7000, Oppo BDP-93, PSB Image T5/C5/B4/Subseries 200
post #69 of 93 Old 12-12-2018, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

No, i am considering 65" only in any case.... so, still wondering?
post #70 of 93 Old 12-12-2018, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I know if I was buying a 65" TV right now, the A9F would be what I want. But I am not since I got an A1E last year and 55" was sufficient for my setup. I am willing to pay the extra cost for better motion processing of the Sony. I also understand that most people are not willing to pay that premium over the C8 for a slight difference and that makes sense.

Len Sorensen

post #71 of 93 Old 12-12-2018, 02:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
No, i am considering 65" only in any case.... so, still wondering?

Personally, I'd hold out until we see what the next generation of consoles can take advantage of and/or HDMI 2.1 shakes out.

If I had to buy now, I'd probably end up with the LG because of price/performance, but you're going to need to decide what's most important to you. The picture quality is very high on both the LG and the Sony. So, what's next up? Gaming latency? Motion processing? UI? Smart Apps?
post #72 of 93 Old 12-12-2018, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Absolutelly gaming latency and motion
post #73 of 93 Old 12-12-2018, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

I am not interesting at all in smart app features
post #74 of 93 Old 12-12-2018, 06:11 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
When playing with motion settings keep in mind there is no perfect setting.

There is a perfect setting though. Turned off.
post #75 of 93 Old 12-12-2018, 11:07 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
@ all --> I do appreciate your comments, however, I am not very satisfied with E6 picture that much...when I watch football game, sometimes, I see the "ghosting" of the ball, in some movies with high speed moving objects also sometimes a "ghosting". On the other hand , in games (PS4 Pro) could happened the same and sometimes "tearing" as well. Yes, it is 3D TV, and I really like it , but now a days, HDR and 4k are dominating trends and I really love those vivid colours that in 3D I can never get. Also, at least I my case , 3D is great for first 30 minutes, afterwards eyes get used to it, and its not so exciting anymore.

On the other hand, I prefer 4K moves on my UHD player.
In terms of selling price of it, I was trying to sell it for 2.500 eur, no interest at all for 3 months, then 2.000 , absolutelly no interest, and finally my friend who can offer this 1.400 eur, I am ready to go for it if it makes sense for me to go to C8, and this is why I asked your opinon.
If I wait for next year OLED tv, sure, but I am afraid that it will be much higher in price and I will never be able to get 1.400 eur for my current tv next year, but maybe only 1.000 eur.

On the other hand, I heard, maybe its wrong , that PQ and fast moving objects in E8 and C8, and general color is much better then in E6 (I explained it above), and I would like to go for it....but then again, I am really not sure does it makes sense and is it worty...Also, about sound, my E6 is straigh foward sound, while as I can see C8 is downward sound, so I am not sure how weaker sound it is when wall mounted...

Any other comments, suggestions.....?????
I have the LG OLED 65 inch C6 and after ACTUALLY taking the time to go through all the picture settings and HDR settings I'm extremely happy with how my tv displays for a roughly 3 year old tv.
I haven't gotten my Dolby Vision settings the way I want them yet but everything else is golden! I love 3D whereas my family could care less. LOL!
The newer tv's are definitely brighter but that's not what I need in my setting. I'd suggest you either wait for the 2019 models or buy it and do a side by side comparison and return it if you don't like it?
Also, watching regular HD broadcasts on a 4k tv isn't going to look as well as watching a 4k movie via Netflix, Amazon, or UHD DVD player. The displays in the stores are always in slow motion and going to make the tvs look spectacular.
Just take the time to calibrate your tv and then go from there.

TV: LG OLED65C6P
Receiver: ONKYO RZ 720 7.2 Channel 4K/HDR Receiver w/Dolby Atmos/DTS X
Consoles: Xbox One X (Scorpio Edition) and Sony PS4
UHD DVD Player: OPPO UDP-203
SVS Prime Bookshelf and SVS Prime 5.1 Satellites w/ 12" 300w sub
post #76 of 93 Old 12-13-2018, 04:06 AM - Thread Starter

I decided to go for C8, I have order it, and will reach me on saturday. The reason for this is because on all reviews, I see C8 reaching highest scores in what is important to me comapring to E6 (colors, PQ, motion, ..) and the price is just bit less then Sony AF9. I am not ready to pay 500 eur more for Sony just because of sound , as I have brand new Denon AVR X4500H avr and Q aqustics 3050i set. I am sure that for general cable watching sound is better or same on C8 vs E6, and picture is much better. As I could see , other then sound , AF9 and C8 are more or less the same. So, thats it, decision made... hopefully right one...😃
wildbill722 likes this.
post #77 of 93 Old 12-13-2018, 08:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I decided to go for C8, I have order it, and will reach me on saturday. The reason for this is because on all reviews, I see C8 reaching highest scores in what is important to me comapring to E6 (colors, PQ, motion, ..) and the price is just bit less then Sony AF9. I am not ready to pay 500 eur more for Sony just because of sound , as I have brand new Denon AVR X4500H avr and Q aqustics 3050i set. I am sure that for general cable watching sound is better or same on C8 vs E6, and picture is much better. As I could see , other then sound , AF9 and C8 are more or less the same. So, thats it, decision made... hopefully right one...😃

Well the Sony still wins on motion processing, but not by nearly as much as it did a year or two ago. For gaming the motion processing is normally off anyhow, since the frame rate is high enough and it introduces latency. For watching sports, the Sony is certainly better than the LG. Well for sports where things move that is. I guess for some sports it really isn't a big deal given nothing is happening in most cases.

I highly doubt the C8 will match the E6 for sound, but if you have the external setup, that doesn't matter.

The A9F does have eARC which the C8 doesn't have, but with a new enough AVR that can pass DV and such, there isn't really any reason to run anything through the TV so eARC shouldn't matter for that kind of setup. Streaming wouldn't really take advantage of it anyhow.

Certainly given you say gaming and latency in gaming is important to you, then the C8 does sound like the right choice.

Len Sorensen

post #78 of 93 Old 12-13-2018, 12:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vauba View Post
There is a perfect setting though. Turned off.

That's what I use on my E6P. I've experimented with the motion settings, and can't say I've ever noticed anything I'd call an improvement.
post #79 of 93 Old 12-14-2018, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

...and I have end up with AF9 65``...we will see….
post #80 of 93 Old 12-14-2018, 07:35 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked: 206
I have a 2016 LG Oled too. But highly considering AF9 due to motion.

Sony 65 A9F, LG 65 E9
post #81 of 93 Old 12-15-2018, 01:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4303 Post(s)
Liked: 3733
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post
Yeah, me too, but it took me 9 tries to get a panel this good (attached). None of the improvements we're talking about would be worth taking a step backwards in the near-black-uniformity department (nor getting back into the panel lottery game).

Black crush is not what I'm worried about - it's the occasional pan over a relatively uniform just-above-black scene. It doesn't happen often, but when it does it looks horrid - DSE so bad that even my wife says 'what's wrong with the TV?'

I consider the near-black DSE to be a more noticable/distracting/objectionable PQ defect that the local dimming artifacts common with FALD LED/LCDs, and if it easn't for the fact that near-black DSE on my WOLED occurs less than 1% as frequently as the local dimming anomolies on a goid FALD I'd be switching back to FALD LED/LCD.

As it is, the DSE is only noticable on one or two pans on perhaps one out of every 50 pieces of the content we enjoy, so it's a more glaring defect that almost never rears its ugly head...
Your TV "specimen" is better than many folks here including myself. Only seeing the DSE 1% of the time would be a huge blessing because I would put that number nearer to 10-20% on this 77G6. Unless a manufacturing miracle arrives by 2020, you are setting yourself up for a repeat episode of exchange central.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonW747 View Post
Seems the key to being a happy OLED customer is to avoid watching test slides. Once you see any issue, it will be constantly nagging you whether it's there in normal viewing even if you never saw it before.
Unfortunately, some degree of non-uniformity is 100% normal on these TV on 5% (or dimmer) test slides. TV logos burning in, is something different, but we don't normally watch solid red shows either.
Sorry, that's not going to cut it for variable brightness columns that are present all the way up to 10% and even 20%. It won't take long to see the negative effects as a camera pans across a lowly lit (otherwise) uniform surface.

Last edited by video_analysis; 12-15-2018 at 02:05 AM.
post #82 of 93 Old 12-15-2018, 02:15 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4902
Quote:
Originally Posted by meles View Post
2016 to 2017 was a big change for LG Oleds. 2017 to 2018 a smaller change. I'd skip the C8 and go for E8. If you're in the US I know LG currently has it marked down from $4000 to $3300 and given nearing year end some phenomenal prices can be had. I wanted an E7 last year, but too dear. A year later I'm seeing deals for E8 that match what I paid for B7. Atmos will be much easier with 2018 model.
Atmos-over-ARC so that I could stream Atmos to my AVR was one of the features LG introduced in 2017 that I coveted (and considered as a reason to upgrade my 65C6P).

Since purchasing a new FireStickTV4K for $35 this Black Friday, that gap has been closed - I now have Amazon and VUDU streaming with HDR10/Dolby Vision and Atmos Audio (and expecting Netflix Atmos support for the FireStickTV4K soon). So Atmos-over-ARC is no longer a reason to upgrade a 2016 WOLED.

Quote:
Dolby Vision will be easier as the 2016 only supports dolby vision at 30 and not 60hz.
Would appreciate to understand more about this limitation of the 2016 WOLEDs - do you mean to say that my 65C6P does not play my new UHDBD of Fallout at 24fps? The video looked great to me so is there any easy way to confirm that I was viewing at 30fps (which should imply 3:2 pullsown, right)?

It's the frst I have heard of this limitation on 2016 WOLEDs for Dolby Vision and I am interested in any limitations the 2016 WOLEDs suffer from for HDR that have been addressed by the 2018 WOLEDs. I stream alot of HDR and recently started playing UHDBD with Dolby Vision on my 65C6P and I don't feel like I'm leaving any performance on the table, but without a side-by-side comparison, that is very subjective. So appreciate any more comments as to why a 2016 WOLED is deficient for Dolby Atmos or HDR in general compared to a 2018 model...

Quote:
No news on 2019 I've seen, but prices initially will be much higher for sure. Dolby Vision and Atmos are taking over on iTunes and Vudu. I'm sitting here right now comparing Dredd (2012) HDR disc on Oppo versus iTunes Dolby Vison. Even with the lesser Atmos I'm leaning towards the iTunes and dolby vision. From 2016 to 2018 you're getting a lot more light output from Oled, this even helps in well lit rooms as you can compensate rather nicely with SDR material now.
Prices of 2019s will initially be higher (as they always are) but will be lower than current 2018 WOLED pricing by November '19. I'll be intersted to see what the 'full' support of 120Hz HFR in the new Alpha-9 Gen-2 pricessor translates to. If the 2019 WOLEDs support 50% BFI @ 120Hz (meaning an effective refresh rate of 240Hz), that would deliver a nice improvement in motion performance...

But mainly I'm waiting to see that the coast is clear on near-black panel uniformity and an end to the panel lottery before upgrading to a 75/77".
meles likes this.
post #83 of 93 Old 12-15-2018, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Atmos-over-ARC so that I could stream Atmos to my AVR was one of the features LG introduced in 2017 that I coveted (and considered as a reason to upgrade my 65C6P).

Since purchasing a new FireStickTV4K for $35 this Black Friday, that gap has been closed - I now have Amazon and VUDU streaming with HDR10/Dolby Vision and Atmos Audio (and expecting Netflix Atmos support for the FireStickTV4K soon). So Atmos-over-ARC is no longer a reason to upgrade a 2016 WOLED.

Would appreciate to understand more about this limitation of the 2016 WOLEDs - do you mean to say that my 65C6P does not play my new UHDBD of Fallout at 24fps? The video looked great to me so is there any easy way to confirm that I was viewing at 30fps (which should imply 3:2 pullsown, right)?

It's the frst I have heard of this limitation on 2016 WOLEDs for Dolby Vision and I am interested in any limitations the 2016 WOLEDs suffer from for HDR that have been addressed by the 2018 WOLEDs. I stream alot of HDR and recently started playing UHDBD with Dolby Vision on my 65C6P and I don't feel like I'm leaving any performance on the table, but without a side-by-side comparison, that is very subjective. So appreciate any more comments as to why a 2016 WOLED is deficient for Dolby Atmos or HDR in general compared to a 2018 model...

Prices of 2019s will initially be higher (as they always are) but will be lower than current 2018 WOLED pricing by November '19. I'll be intersted to see what the 'full' support of 120Hz HFR in the new Alpha-9 Gen-2 pricessor translates to. If the 2019 WOLEDs support 50% BFI @ 120Hz (meaning an effective refresh rate of 240Hz), that would deliver a nice improvement in motion performance...

But mainly I'm waiting to see that the coast is clear on near-black panel uniformity and an end to the panel lottery before upgrading to a 75/77".
Friend just literally had two 55 inch LG curved OLEDs (2016) croak this week. He got the store demos really cheap.

I'm far from an expert on the LGs (well I do know the 2017 pretty darn well), but I do know the 2018 was much more an incremental improvement over 2017 so I'm sitting tight.

I've not owned a fire device, but that is pretty impressive to get Netflix/Vudu in DV/Atmos. I'm guessing you're running either the new Samsung Soundbar or a newer receiver that can pass Vision back to the TV.

I ran into the 30hz issue with 2016 Oled in the Sony X700 thread which does Dolby Vision. I believe it was Vudu that was sending 60hz with that player and it wouldn't work with 2016 OLEDs. At the time back in early June this was a bummer because the Sony X700 was first external device that did DV/Atmos.
wildbill722 likes this.

Oppo UDP-203-->LG OLED65B7 and SamsungK950 (4K Atmos discs and files + 2 more subs!)
post #84 of 93 Old 12-15-2018, 04:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked: 653
Quote:
Friend just literally had two 55 inch LG curved OLEDs (2016) croak this week. He got the store demos really cheap.

I'm far from an expert on the LGs (well I do know the 2017 pretty darn well), but I do know the 2018 was much more an incremental improvement over 2017 so I'm sitting tight.

I've not owned a fire device, but that is pretty impressive to get Netflix/Vudu in DV/Atmos. I'm guessing you're running either the new Samsung Soundbar or a newer receiver that can pass Vision back to the TV.

I ran into the 30hz issue with 2016 Oled in the Sony X700 thread which does Dolby Vision. I believe it was Vudu that was sending 60hz with that player and it wouldn't work with 2016 OLEDs. At the time back in early June this was a bummer because the Sony X700 was first external device that did DV/Atmos.
Odd to hear of two going out so close...lightening storm?
meles likes this.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
post #85 of 93 Old 12-15-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
Odd to hear of two going out so close...lightening storm?
One was replacement screen. The other is still being diagnosed.
Kenbar and wildbill722 like this.

post #86 of 93 Old 12-15-2018, 06:28 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4902
Quote:

Yeah, I had a Marantz AVR with 5.1.2 Atmos speakers. Worked great with Atmos Blurays but could only stream Amazon, Netflix and VUDU in 5.1 using the 65C6P's internal apps. The FireStickTV4K has all the streaming capability of the LG OLED but feeds the AVR directly so that the Atmos Audio can be stripped off before the video is send on to the TV.

Tried the same thing a year ago with the Chromecast Ultra, but it was a bust (at least back then). FireStickTV4K delivered the goods.

Quote:
I have my FireStickTV4K locked to 24Hz when streaming movies and it seems to be playing correctly (without any pulldown judder), so perhaps that is a Sony-only issue. Is there an easy was to test whether yiu are playing back 24Hz content or 30Hz content?
meles likes this.
post #87 of 93 Old 12-15-2018, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I had a Marantz AVR with 5.1.2 Atmos speakers. Worked great with Atmos Blurays but could only stream Amazon, Netflix and VUDU in 5.1 using the 65C6P's internal apps. The FireStickTV4K has all the streaming capability of the LG OLED but feeds the AVR directly so that the Atmos Audio can be stripped off before the video is send on to the TV.

Tried the same thing a year ago with the Chromecast Ultra, but it was a bust (at least back then). FireStickTV4K delivered the goods.

I have my FireStickTV4K locked to 24Hz when streaming movies and it seems to be playing correctly (without any pulldown judder), so perhaps that is a Sony-only issue. Is there an easy was to test whether yiu are playing back 24Hz content or 30Hz content?
I use an Oppo 203 and hold down the info button. I just hook up device to its input.

Glad to see the cheap firesticktv4k has given you a great solution. For those of use with soundbars that won't pass Dolby Vision you have to have something like HDFury avrkey to send Vision to the tv and the Atmos audio to the soundbar or more antiquated receiver.

I must say that I had a very good experience with my K950 Soundbar and fleabay seller Echo and Optics. They have a 100.00% feedback rating and the 2018 65 inch E oled on sale. LG is doing a $700 rebate and sellers like Best Buy (an excellent place) reflect this with a price of $3300, but they're sitting back and reaping 100% retail prices at the end of the model year. I encourage you to investigate the E. I wanted the 2017 E badly last year, but it was just too rich for my blood. $3800 on Amazon at this time of year. You can do a whole lot better and it will be a huge jump over 2016. The LG rebate ends at end of December so prices may not be so great if you wait for the LG announcement at CES. The 2018 E retails for $4000 and it is a beautiful unit. Yes it won't look one wit better than the 2018 C 65 in a dark room watching, but when its off you've got a prize to show off and much more spouse acceptance factor. I hope I've not violated some rules here in mentioning this and feel free to PM me on this if you're feeling itchy. I myself want to scratch my HTPC itch this holiday season. I've got a friend who is an ardent Best Buy customer who is sitting back and hoping for a sale on these TVs latter this month (he's had two 2016 LG 55 inch curved Oled's bite the dust in the last week). He's also been looking at the Panasonic's, but LG beats Panasonic with DV:
Listen at 8:30.

post #88 of 93 Old 12-17-2018, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
Sorry, that's not going to cut it for variable brightness columns that are present all the way up to 10% and even 20%. It won't take long to see the negative effects as a camera pans across a lowly lit (otherwise) uniform surface.

I would think so, but something down around 5% and under most people are not going to notice unless they know it's there and they're looking for it rather than enjoying what their watching. Plus some issues are temporary in nature and improve over time.
post #89 of 93 Old 12-17-2018, 01:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4303 Post(s)
Liked: 3733
YMMV. I've been through about 7 of these in total. Everything at 5% eventually reveals itself when viewing in dark rooms. Lower might be more difficult to visualize, but there are few clear 5% screens out there.
post #90 of 93 Old 12-17-2018, 01:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 2147 Post(s)
Liked: 2282
My new E8 passed the Prometheus cave scenes with flying colors. Also Marco Polo Episode 3 looks clean. Old E6 would show some vignetting on the right edge during Prometheus and very slight banding during the Marco Polo scene. I am happy making the move from E6 to E8. HDR is much better on E8.
Cam1977 and wildbill722 like this.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL S/510 | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i
Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | iFi AC iPurifier | roon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page