Is it worth going from a C6 to a C8 panel? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 15Likes
  • 1 Post By ozziegn
  • 5 Post By BillP
  • 1 Post By drewTT
  • 1 Post By smitty
  • 2 Post By royozin
  • 1 Post By Kenbar
  • 1 Post By VidPro
  • 3 Post By video_analysis

post #1 of 17 Old 12-14-2018, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Is it worth going from a C6 to a C8 panel?

Just like the thread title says. I bought a 65" C6 curved TV last year and its been flawless since day one. But, lately I've been having an itch to try out a C8 to see if the differences (if any) were worth the extra cost in upgrading. I know one of the biggest things people talk about with the C8 is the support of DV. But to my surprise, I see that my C6 also supports DV going by what the upper right hand corner tells me when I start a movie encoded with DV.

So I went out and picked up a C8 and I used it for a couple of days to see what the difference was. I don't know if my 50 year old eyes are getting tired but I hardly see any difference between my C6 and my C8 in terms of PQ.

So I ask, is it worth upgrading to a C8 or should I return the TV and be happy with my trusty C6?
fafrd likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-14-2018, 09:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 4768
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozziegn View Post
Just like the thread title says. I bought a 65" C6 curved TV last year and its been flawless since day one. But, lately I've been having an itch to try out a C8 to see if the differences (if any) were worth the extra cost in upgrading. I know one of the biggest things people talk about with the C8 is the support of DV. But to my surprise, I see that my C6 also supports DV going by what the upper right hand corner tells me when I start a movie encoded with DV.

So I went out and picked up a C8 and I used it for a couple of days to see what the difference was. I don't know if my 50 year old eyes are getting tired but I hardly see any difference between my C6 and my C8 in terms of PQ.

So I ask, is it worth upgrading to a C8 or should I return the TV and be happy with my trusty C6?
The C8 supports autocal (useless if you don't perform calibration), it supports BFI (but only at 60Hz, which causes visible flicker for many), is supports Dynamic Tonemapping (which may result in slightly better HDR10), it supports Atmos-over-ARC (though my recently p-acquired $35 FireStickTV4K has plugged that gap), it is supposed to do somewhat better in terms of near-black linearity than the C6, and burn-in protection technology has improved greatly on the C8 versus the C6 (in case you watch alot of CNN on your WOLED ).

For me, none of those improvements are enough to justify upgrading my 65C6P yet. I'm waiting to see improvements in near-black uniformity before I pull the trigger on a new WOLED. My 65C6P has pretty good near-black uniformity and after slogging-through the panel lottery once, I don't have the heart to go through that again...

The C6 is essentially perfect for SDR (except for the occasional DSE from pans over fairly uniform near-dark scenes and does a pretty darned-good job delivering HDR10 and Dolby Vision streaming through internal apps or over HDMI.

With a budget-friendly 75" panel (possibly with 8K resolution), HDMI 2.1, an i crease in peak brightness to 2000 cd/m2, and improvements to near-black uniformity along with an end to the panel lottery, I may be ready to upgrade.

Before then, not really interested.

Did you bring the C8 back or are you still deciding?
post #3 of 17 Old 12-14-2018, 10:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked: 623
How is the 3D on that C8?

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 12-15-2018, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 418
Not everyone wants or needs 3D.
If your C6 is "flawless" I would not waste money"upgrading". Yes, there have been minor improvements each year. But if you wait a few years, the improvements will be greater. And much of the improvements have been around better panels (less banding), which is moot for you if you have a good C6 panel.
TravisPNW, Kenbar, fafrd and 2 others like this.
post #5 of 17 Old 12-15-2018, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozziegn View Post

Alright. I have to assume 3D is not a concern for you. On the positive side, since 3D Oleds are in high demand it is entirely probable you would not encounter any extra costs. Might even end up with a few bucks in your pocket.

On the negative side...2 years from now your old C6 will probably have more value that the newer c8. It has 3D...even when 8K becomes mainstream...the 2016 Oleds will still be the ultimate 3D tv's ever made. While the C8 will be...among the best of the old 2D low resolution tv's, not have anything unique/special about it.

Voted most desirable mate by the ladies every year! Klan leader! Mob boss! Love advice expert! Credit cards accepted.
post #6 of 17 Old 12-15-2018, 09:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1997 Post(s)
Liked: 2150
If you want HDR content, then it is absolutely worth it! I couldn't believe how much more impact HDR has on my E8 compared to E6. I watched Covenant last night and it was almost like watching a new movie. HDR Game Mode also absolutely smokes the game mode on the 6.
Cam1977 likes this.

LG OLED65E8 | Plinius Hiato | Dynaudio Contour 20 | Dynaudio Stand 6 | REL T/9i | PS Audio DirectStream Junior | Furman IT-Reference 15i | Sony PS4 Pro | Synology DS916+ | Apple TV 4K | BDI Mirage | NEEO | Focal Shape 40 | iFi Pro iDSD | iFi Pro iRack | roon
post #7 of 17 Old 12-15-2018, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenbar View Post
Alright. I have to assume 3D is not a concern for you. On the positive side, since 3D Oleds are in high demand it is entirely probable you would not encounter any extra costs. Might even end up with a few bucks in your pocket.

On the negative side...2 years from now your old C6 will probably have more value that the newer c8. It has 3D...even when 8K becomes mainstream...the 2016 Oleds will still be the ultimate 3D tv's ever made. While the C8 will be...among the best of the old 2D low resolution tv's, not have anything unique/special about it.
Yeah I remember 3D on the plasma. I bought it in 2011 along with Avatar and Titanic. I watched them both once and that was the extent of my 3D venture. I'd wager most were like me otherwise they'd still be making 3D panels.

It was a cool thing and I really thought I'd be interested in it... but in the end I just didn't get into it. As I recall I was having eyestrain issues and that was a big part of it.

3D is dead... just the way it is.

LG B7A OLED 65” - ISF calibrated by Chad B 4/20/18 / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
My collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
post #8 of 17 Old 12-15-2018, 11:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 748 Post(s)
Liked: 986
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPNW View Post
My experience and feelings are similar to yours. I never "got it." When it came out, I told my wife there was no way it was going to last more than a few years.
TravisPNW likes this.
post #9 of 17 Old 12-15-2018, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisPNW View Post
Yeah I remember 3D on the plasma. I bought it in 2011 along with Avatar and Titanic. I watched them both once and that was the extent of my 3D venture. I'd wager most were like me otherwise they'd still be making 3D panels.

It was a cool thing and I really thought I'd be interested in it... but in the end I just didn't get into it. As I recall I was having eyestrain issues and that was a big part of it.

I don't disagree. But there are many who love 3D. Have large collections. And 4K 3D Oleds...are the rare crown jewels. They will hold their value...perhaps even go up over time. Working 3D tv's will fail as time goes by. Along with 3D Oleds. Making good working 4K 3D's become rarer and rarer. Supply/demand.

post #10 of 17 Old 12-15-2018, 11:33 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 7
I wouldn't really hold my breath on that 3D OLED appreciating with time.
TravisPNW and smitty like this.
post #11 of 17 Old 12-15-2018, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 565 Post(s)
Liked: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by royozin View Post

Heheh... the 3D plasma (42") sure didn't. It was moved to the bedroom after getting the OLED and the g/f decided she wanted a smart TV in there, so I just replaced the plasma with a 55" LG LCD. After seeing dozens of similar Panasonic plasma panels on CL that had been up for sale for weeks or months in the $50-$150 range I just gave it away to a coworker.

The 65" plasmas must be the crown jewels... LOL

LG B7A OLED 65” - ISF calibrated by Chad B 4/20/18 / LG SJ9 Atmos Sound Bar / LG UP970 BR Player / Apple TV 4K
i7 7700k 11GB 1080 Ti 32GB Ram 2x 1TB 960 Evo / XBox One X / Nintendo Switch
My collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/co...3&categoryid=7
post #12 of 17 Old 12-15-2018, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royozin View Post
The 55" has burn in.

https://www.ebay.com/b/OLED-TVs-Pass...071/bn_7982926
wildbill722 likes this.

post #13 of 17 Old 12-15-2018, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1466 Post(s)
Liked: 1204
I called 3D video herpes once and I stick by it. It’ll come back eventually until fades away again...and again... LOL!
TravisPNW likes this.

The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye.
Sony XBR-65A1E OLED/Denon X4300H/Oppo 203/Klipsch RVX‑42/PS4 Pro/Xbox One X/5.1.2
post #14 of 17 Old 12-15-2018, 03:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 4280 Post(s)
Liked: 3704
I had a 3D plasma, too. Got a handful of titles and couldn't get into it because of the dimness and the heavy monstrosity that is the active glasses. That all changed with the added prowess of OLED (greater brightness, zero blacks) and passive 3D. The collection is over 200 titles today. My eyes must be rekt by the STD! Antman and the Wasp is the latest treasure to behold. There's nothing that compares to a natively shot/well-converted IMAX scene on a 77" OLED (unless it includes a screen full of murky browns/grays). If you're using a shizzy plasma experience as your baseline for 3D in the home cinema, you have no idea what you're missing.

3D OLEDs have already retained their value in comparison to other displays of lore. No guarantees in the future of course.
fafrd, wildbill722 and Kenbar like this.

Last edited by video_analysis; 12-15-2018 at 03:48 PM.
post #15 of 17 Old 12-15-2018, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Wow, I didn't know my 65" C6 was holding so much value. I wonder what I could get for it on Craigslist? The TV is in very good condition with very (and I do mean very) light banding on the right hand side watching a 5% gray scale YouTube test video. I have tried to see the same area of banding with watching 4K HDR movies and I have yet been able to see any actual banding except for in the 5% test videos. And like I said, it's very, very minimal.
post #16 of 17 Old 05-20-2019, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
I had a 3D plasma, too. Got a handful of titles and couldn't get into it because of the dimness and the heavy monstrosity that is the active glasses. That all changed with the added prowess of OLED (greater brightness, zero blacks) and passive 3D. The collection is over 200 titles today. My eyes must be rekt by the STD! Antman and the Wasp is the latest treasure to behold. There's nothing that compares to a natively shot/well-converted IMAX scene on a 77" OLED (unless it includes a screen full of murky browns/grays). If you're using a shizzy plasma experience as your baseline for 3D in the home cinema, you have no idea what you're missing.

3D OLEDs have already retained their value in comparison to other displays of lore. No guarantees in the future of course.

I totally agree - The marketing morons pushed 3D prematurely because they needed a gimmick to sell TVs before 4K arrived when it NEEDED 4K (and passive technology) to be viable, ie 1080p to each eye.
Passive 3D on an 4K OLED is glorious, amplifying the suspension of disbelief because everything just looks more real (unlike today's crappy VR). It makes good films great and even bad ones watchable

Oh yeah, and can I please be your fwend?
post #17 of 17 Old 05-22-2019, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

So to wrap things up: If you need the finest viewing possible, then you should stick with your rare 3D 2016 Oled.

If not, you should sell your rare 2016 and downgrade to a later, no stereo, common mono vision only model. Use the extra cash left over from the sale to take your mama to see the new STAR WARS GALAXY'S EDGE at Disney. They will probably have some 3D effects rides.

Me self, going to keep rocking 3D.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply OLED Technology and Flat Panels General

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page